Magic band upgrade FRUSTRATING

I will check every so often if I remember while I’m watching tv in the pm.
But
If I can’t get the bands we want I won’t settle, I’m not saving any money if I order a band that is not the one I had my heart set on. I see it as wasting $20 (plus exchange).

I’m ok with solid bands. In fact, I always order the grey band of shame for myself. It’s times like this I’m happy I’m a plain Jane kinda gal.

And I agree with the above poster who believes it’s a marketing technique of sorts. Even Disney IT can’t be this bad, can it?

To all those vigilantly checking for their bands, good luck! pixiedust:

I really want to order a Jack Skellington one. I saw it available and then it disappeared. Anyone see that one recently?

I think I'm just sticking with ordering plain bands and then ordering skins from Etsy. I'm already stressing about FPs, I don't need anything else!

I just tried to order the white castle band for both of us(which has been there constantly for over a week) and I get all the way to clicking the final purchase tab and then it says "We are unable to complete your request" and "we encountered an error, try again later". So does this mean they are sold out or what does it mean?

Plus, I've tried to remove them and I can't even do that. I'm running out of time, I only have 22 days showing.

You’re guess is as good as mine...encountered all of the end results and never got to a successful one. I actually kept trying on November 3, my day zero...wasn’t going to settle (except for being disappointed.) Unrelated consolation prize is we are WDW bound in 3 sleeps. :)

Has anyone ever successfully completed an order when you've previously tried to get to the end and you keep getting a message of, "We've encountered an error. Please try again."

I've tried switching my own band to many different ones. My husband and son both really want the Galaxy's Edge one with the Millennium Falcon, which is almost always there, so it doesn't seem to be a stock issue. But I can never get the order to submit. I've tried different browsers. I've tried in private/incognito mode. Nothing works.

Has anyone ever successfully completed an order when you've previously tried to get to the end and you keep getting a message of, "We've encountered an error. Please try again."

I've tried switching my own band to many different ones. My husband and son both really want the Galaxy's Edge one with the Millennium Falcon, which is almost always there, so it doesn't seem to be a stock issue. But I can never get the order to submit. I've tried different browsers. I've tried in private/incognito mode. Nothing works.

I've had the same issue over and over again. I've called and spoke to Disney IT and they've messed around with billing addresses and the address associated with my account to no end and gotten no results. I think it may have something to do with the fact that we're in Canada, but I can't confirm that.

I find that if it’s an out of stock error, after two tries it gets removed as one of your selections and you have to start again, so if it’s not disappearing it’s not that.
I get error messages if it has a phone number that doesn’t fit it’s format, so try changing that. This is most likely problem (even if it doesn’t ask for a phone Number if you have one in your profile it could be causing the issue)
are you trying to get it delivered? If so if out of USA it won’t work has to go to resort.
last but not least it could be something about the credit card or 3 number code on back.
hoep One of those helps,

I've had the same issue over and over again. I've called and spoke to Disney IT and they've messed around with billing addresses and the address associated with my account to no end and gotten no results. I think it may have something to do with the fact that we're in Canada, but I can't confirm that.
I kept having the same issues as you. I had spent endless hours trying and trying... talking to CM with very little care, concern or help. I GAVE UP!!! Enough of the madness. I ordered just the plain ones, which funny enough went through no problem at all. I then went and ordered really cute Magic Band Skins on etsy and we are all happy and I'm still sane.

I kept having the same issues as you. I had spent endless hours trying and trying... talking to CM with very little care, concern or help. I GAVE UP!!! Enough of the madness. I ordered just the plain ones, which funny enough went through no problem at all. I then went and ordered really cute Magic Band Skins on etsy and we are all happy and I'm still sane.

Yep that’s pretty much where we are at as well. If Disney doesn’t really want my money that’s fine. It’s hard enough to find 4 bands that everyone is happy with anyway!

I find that if it’s an out of stock error, after two tries it gets removed as one of your selections and you have to start again, so if it’s not disappearing it’s not that.
I get error messages if it has a phone number that doesn’t fit it’s format, so try changing that. This is most likely problem (even if it doesn’t ask for a phone Number if you have one in your profile it could be causing the issue)
are you trying to get it delivered? If so if out of USA it won’t work has to go to resort.
last but not least it could be something about the credit card or 3 number code on back.
hoep One of those helps,

Yeah, after my hour on the phone with Disney and changing everything associated with my address on my account, address attached to my credit card, resetting things, they could not get anything to go through. Tried multiple credit cards and the same thing. They don’t know what’s wrong and why it won’t work. Quite disappointing to say the least. We are fine with the plain bands but you would think they would’ve had the bugs worked out by now!

I submitted an email complaint through Disney's website today. I've been trying to order magic band upgrades for months (and don't travel until next year). My complaint probably won't make any difference, but Disney does so many things well that I don't understand why they can't fix the upgraded magic band issue. Either make the program work or discontinue the program. When you offer a crappy experience and don't fix it I assume you don't care.

On edit, I'm trying to GIVE money to Disney ($10-$15) for a magic band with pictures that I could otherwise get free without those pictures. So Disney could make $50-$75 just from our family (minus Disney's costs) for upgraded magic bands. When I think about it that way, I'll just stick with the "free" colored magic bands and use that $50-$75 to purchase some Harry Potter stuff at Universal.

Last edited:
The site says I only have 1 day left to complete my order. Does that mean they are just going to ship me grey bands if I don't make any choices?

EDIT so I googled and see the bands are a discount.
i think it’s 100% marketing that they are sold out so fast and all the time.
think about it this way, you have a family of four and secure two upgrades at the discount. Most if not all will end up paying full price for the other two vs have a sad child and/or listening to them ask over and over why sissy got one they they didn’t
I don't think it is marketing as they are just angering their customers. I think they completely misjudged how popular this would be. The site itself is awful. In 2019 it shouldn't be this hard to instantly remove an item that is out of stock.

Has anyone spotted any Christmas bands yet? I saw one with treats back in early October but hoping for something less tacky to,appear. Not that it will mean I’ll be able to get the order to process...

Has anyone spotted any Christmas bands yet? I saw one with treats back in early October but hoping for something less tacky to,appear. Not that it will mean I’ll be able to get the order to process...
They had the one you mentioned in Oct with the baked items on it.

Was finally able to fix my Canadian billing issues. A cast member helped me over the phone. I had to remove my credit card completely from my profile and re-add it. Then logged on in Chrome in Incognito mode on a desktop computer. All these months I had thought that the bands I wanted were all out of stock, turns out that if you get to the checkout page without receiving an OOS message, this might be your issue. Sadly, I was in such a rush to test fixing this over the phone with the cast member that I only customized 2/4 bands, completed the order and can’t edit it now to change the others. Hope this helps some of you though.

Was finally able to fix my Canadian billing issues. A cast member helped me over the phone. I had to remove my credit card completely from my profile and re-add it. Then logged on in Chrome in Incognito mode on a desktop computer. All these months I had thought that the bands I wanted were all out of stock, turns out that if you get to the checkout page without receiving an OOS message, this might be your issue. Sadly, I was in such a rush to test fixing this over the phone with the cast member that I only customized 2/4 bands, completed the order and can’t edit it now to change the others. Hope this helps some of you though.

That was one of the many things that they tried to no avail :( Didn't try logging in with incognito, but maybe should have tried that. It's definitely a billing issue though since I'm able to order the plain bands with no problems.

I had tried for months since day 1 for my September trip and had absolutely no luck purchasing one. I booked a trip for next month yesterday and was able to purchase one on the first try, I think I fainted for a minute :rotfl2:Now I'm afraid when I go to do mine for next year I won't be able to again but I am going to wait since I don't need it anytime soon.

That was one of the many things that they tried to no avail :( Didn't try logging in with incognito, but maybe should have tried that. It's definitely a billing issue though since I'm able to order the plain bands with no problems.
Disney is a billion dollar company, and here we are trying to figure out hacks to work around Disney's crappy website magic band upgrade. I'd recommend that everyone skip the upgrade and save your money ($15 a person) for something else--snacks at Universal or a Harry Potter shirt, or a QS meal at any Disney restaurant of your choice for each family member who got the regular magic band. You shouldn't give any money to Disney for this awful service and if you have the chance should tell them why. We are talking about a free wristband or a $10-15 wristband, and the only difference is the appearance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter