Magic band upgrade FRUSTRATING

Well my countdown timer was apparently just for shipping. I now have a countdown timer for pickup at resort. Hoping baymax or alien come back.

Was finally able to fix my Canadian billing issues. A cast member helped me over the phone. I had to remove my credit card completely from my profile and re-add it. Then logged on in Chrome in Incognito mode on a desktop computer. All these months I had thought that the bands I wanted were all out of stock, turns out that if you get to the checkout page without receiving an OOS message, this might be your issue. Sadly, I was in such a rush to test fixing this over the phone with the cast member that I only customized 2/4 bands, completed the order and can’t edit it now to change the others. Hope this helps some of you though.
I'm going to try this. I'm sure this is possibly the issue I've been having. I kept saying this to the CMs that I have talked to over the phone and email, it isn't an out of stock issue... it's an error at the end of the process. They kept telling me it was a stock issue. I knew I was right. So frustrating.

31 options showing this morning to me and seem to be able to add any of them without error. But still holding out on the hope that maybe Christmas ones will show up in the next few weeks before we have to lock in our order.

I gave up and just bought Figment and Moana bands for us while I was down there this weekend. Customized our second choices (Dory and HM wallpaper). Glad I’m out of this insanity.

31 options showing this morning to me and seem to be able to add any of them without error. But still holding out on the hope that maybe Christmas ones will show up in the next few weeks before we have to lock in our order.
You guys are the best! I got Jack Skelleington thanks to you saying they're available!

Here’s the response to my email complaint to Disney about this issue.

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World®Resort!

We thank you so much for your patience and we apologize for any inconvenience the new MagicBand process may have caused you and your family in your planning. This is a very popular addition to our MagicBand line-up and it would seem that it has become far more enthusiastically received than we'd imagined!

Due to this strong popularity, the option to upgrade to a Premium MagicBand can often become unavailable. If you will be joining us soon [within 30 days or less] you may continue to choose from a selection of complimentary solid-color MagicBands.

We appreciate your feedback regarding the functionality of the new Premium MagicBand system and will convey your insight to management and respective departments as we take such feedback very seriously. Please know that we are working to replenish our inventory as soon as possible.

As you may have surmised, we do anticipate the selections to become more readily available as the system becomes better accustomed to processing Premium MagicBands and we have been encouraging our guests to visit their "MagicBands & Cards" page at later dates!

Here’s the response to my email complaint to Disney about this issue.

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World®Resort!

We thank you so much for your patience and we apologize for any inconvenience the new MagicBand process may have caused you and your family in your planning. This is a very popular addition to our MagicBand line-up and it would seem that it has become far more enthusiastically received than we'd imagined!

Due to this strong popularity, the option to upgrade to a Premium MagicBand can often become unavailable. If you will be joining us soon [within 30 days or less] you may continue to choose from a selection of complimentary solid-color MagicBands.

We appreciate your feedback regarding the functionality of the new Premium MagicBand system and will convey your insight to management and respective departments as we take such feedback very seriously. Please know that we are working to replenish our inventory as soon as possible.

As you may have surmised, we do anticipate the selections to become more readily available as the system becomes better accustomed to processing Premium MagicBands and we have been encouraging our guests to visit their "MagicBands & Cards" page at later dates!
I am glad you got a response, however to me it looks like a typical WDW non response. I gave up trying to buy the upgrades and chose the solid colors, but I hope that their system "becomes better accustomed" to processing the Premium bands for others when they purchase.

I am glad you got a response, however to me it looks like a typical WDW non response. I gave up trying to buy the upgrades and chose the solid colors, but I hope that their system "becomes better accustomed" to processing the Premium bands for others when they purchase.
I got a similar non response.

I generally do not have issues with Disney customer service, however there are times when someone really needs to think about how their answers are viewed. In this case the level of frustration with these bands is much higher than need be,with guests who are finally successful after investing uncountable hours of time feeling as though they won a very special lottery, leaving the rest of us who did not hit "the big one" even more frustrated. For Disney to then respond with what is basically "Oh well, better luck next time" is insulting. Why can they simply not be honest? They cannot manage to get that system to work properly.

I just ordered mine yesterday because they seemed to have a lot of stock and there was something we all wanted. 30 tries to checkout before success. Absolutely ridiculous. This is many months after it started. I get that it is popular. But their system is complex enough to know which resorts have which types of hotels on specific days. I’m pretty sure it should be able to handle magic bands. If it’s such an issue they should add the countdown clock where once it’s added to your cart you have 10 minutes to finish checkout so it’s reserved for you. Other companies seem to be able to manage it just fine. I’m fine with just a handful of choices, I just think they can make the process much less frustrating.

I'm going to try this. I'm sure this is possibly the issue I've been having. I kept saying this to the CMs that I have talked to over the phone and email, it isn't an out of stock issue... it's an error at the end of the process. They kept telling me it was a stock issue. I knew I was right. So frustrating.
I tried the cc/icognito/desktop thing and it still doesn't work. I get to right before payment then it says 'out of stock'. Either that or I'm getting 25 magic bands delivered sometime soon.

I’ve said it before..... Disney has absolutely no reason to fix this issue & I think some bean counter knows it. It has been costing Disney money to supply free magic bands for years now. Now they found a way to get resort guests to pay. In addition, many people get frustrated trying for the upgraded bands & buy full priced ones instead. These people previously would have just been happy with the free bands. It is a win-win for Disney.... save money by not having to send free bands & make money when people buy a regular priced one they never would have bought before.

Disney has no incentive to fix this issue anytime soon. They are less & less concerned about guest satisfaction or customer service. If they were, they would develop a system that would give a credit so you can just order your choice from the shop Disney site. That would be so much easier & more customer friendly than this mess.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's a definite non-response. I'm not even going to try and order the upgraded ones at this point. I've gone to the website a few times to see either zero (or next to zero) availability, and a few times bands we would like show as in stock but by the time I get to checkout they are out of stock (even though they still show on the website). Not worth the hassle at this point.

Just saw this alert on WDW website:

"MagicBand Upgrades Temporarily Unavailable
Due to technical challenges, the option to upgrade MagicBands is currently unavailable. Disney Resort hotel Guests and new or renewing Walt Disney World Annual Passholders may continue to choose from a selection of complimentary solid-color MagicBands. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and are working to resolve this issue as soon as possible."

I just got off the phone with some techy guy at Disney. I called in to address an issue with my room reservation and then after that was taken care of I asked about the constant error message that I've been getting when I try to order the upgraded bands. I was transferred over to a different department (no idea if it was IT or what it was) and once I explained the situation I was then placed on hold. When the CM came back on he said that he had done a work around on my account but at that moment only the coloured bands were available. He then said that when the upgrades come back I should be able to put my order through. He then apologized and said that if it didn't work I would have to call back but if that should happen they already know what they've done to my account and it should be a very simple fix.

So now we wait and see......

I’ve said it before..... Disney has absolutely no reason to fix this issue & I think some bean counter knows it. It has been costing Disney money to supply free magic bands for years now. Now they found a way to get resort guests to pay. In addition, many people get frustrated trying for the upgraded bands & buy full priced ones instead. These people previously would have just been happy with the free bands. It is a win-win for Disney.... save money by not having to send free bands & make money when people buy a regular priced one they never would have bought before.

Disney has no incentive to fix this issue anytime soon. They are less & less concerned about guest satisfaction or customer service. If they were, they would develop a system that would give a credit so you can just order your choice from the shop Disney site. That would be so much easier & more customer friendly than this mess.

If this really is the case, then we should start pointing people to Magic Band decal sites. There were very few designs from the upgrades I liked anyway (how can you make Flynn Rider & Moana look like their movie counterparts but Rapunzel looks like a cheap 2d knock off?) and of the ones I did like they were of course the most popular and hardest to get.

Getting fed up with these issues, I went to a decal site, designed my own using Dark Rapunzel (from the TV series), and saved a few bucks. So now I have a unique band design to call my own for less than what it would have cost me in both time and money for a band I would have been less than thrilled with if I had settled.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!