Lots more scooters riding the buses now

The main problem is there's no one building double deck transit buses. Theres only a couple of double deck over the road coach's.

There are about a dozen Asian manufacturers of double deck transit buses as well as the ever popular Alexander Dennis company in England that manufactures the iconic double deck buses of London. If we are looking for an American manufacturer look no farther than American Double Deckers.

(Long ago my job was driving double decker buses, they are near and dear to my heart.)

Last edited:
I meant things like overpasses and tunnels. Pretty sure the park and resort gates are plenty high enough.

They have added some of those extra long buses. But I'm not sure how much they use them. I was on one once, and it was a little strange.
They're called articulated buses. I believe there are a dozen in the fleet.

Main problem was that they don't fit into the existing load zones. Pop, AoA, and the All-Stars all have had one load zone lengthened and assigned to MK. Some of the stops at CBR & PO were already long enough; Disney lengthened the ones at those resorts that weren't. Other resorts either have load zones that are too short, or turns that would be difficult to navigate, and traffic levels don't justify modifications.

When I stopped driving, MK was the only park that could handle them. Since then, the new DS depot and the expansion at AK included some longer load zones, and the new depot at DHS will too when it opens. That will leave Epcot as the only park that can't take them, but with Pop, AoA, and CBR getting Skyliner service, it would be pretty easy to reconfigure a couple of load zones in the west lot.

So do I! Does anyone remember when they used to have the double-decker buses in Epcot World Showcase? I think it was in the late 80's. I agree, I think it could be worked out.
@joelkfla did point out a big stumbling block... the water bridge en route to MK/CR. I looked on Google Earth and I think that's only a 10' clearance.

Oh that’s nothing. What kills me as a scooter user is the people who will sit there and stare at you until you have to tell them, “If you don’t want to be hit you need to move.” All the time.

I've looked at people and said, "I'm pretty experienced at this, but if I were you, I'd pull in my feet. But it is up to you." And I start driving.

Is there something wrong with just saying "Excuse me"? I get tired of saying it, too, even without a scooter. But I do appreciate it when someone else is polite enough to actually say it to me.

On my last trip to Disney World, I dislocated my brand new hip in my hotel room. After a fun day at Celebration Hospital, I was privy to renting one of those nifty scooters. To put it bluntly-it stinks. No part of waiting for a bus (with all eyes on you) is fun. Absolutely no part of getting on the bus (hearing everyone groan and make comments) is fun. I was 34 years old. I had a five year old, nine year old and my husband with me. To put into perspective just how non ambulatory I was-my husband had to help me to the bathroom(don't even get me started on there only being one "family" bathroom that I could use with his help per park). My point is, there would have been no possible way for me to only take one of the kids with me. If people are misusing the scooter system, it has nothing to do with me. I had every right to be able to load my sorry butt onto whichever bus I had waited in the designated ecv/wheelchair line for. Period. I feel the need to point out though that some people were downright amazing(and I'm still so grateful to them), but they were few and far between all of the nasty in an already stressful time.

If and when I ever go back, I hope to walk but the bus situation makes it harder. I need to sit as much as I can and don't really want to stand on a wobbly bus or wait even longer in line for the next bus. I bet that there are people like me who can walk but all of the hassles make them decide to bring a scooter.

People just need to have a little more compassion. You never know when you might end up needing some form of assistance. Also, Disney needs to increase the number of buses. Transportation is one the few extras still left and they should make sure that it's top notch.

Is there something wrong with just saying "Excuse me"? I get tired of saying it, too, even without a scooter. But I do appreciate it when someone else is polite enough to actually say it to me.

Oh not at all, when the person doesn’t know they’re doing something wrong. When someone has been told to move once already and doesn’t, no I don’t feel bad for not treating them like a 2-year old. My experience is kids get it, it’s the adults who don’t.

Oh not at all, when the person doesn’t know they’re doing something wrong. When someone has been told to move once already and doesn’t, no I don’t feel bad for not treating them like a 2-year old. My experience is kids get it, it’s the adults who don’t.

Oh! I didn't realize you had already tried once. Yes, in that case I must admit I'd do the same. I have some patience, but it gets exhausted quickly!

Well, as I said before this post. I normally ask politely a couple of times first. But so many people won't even look up from their phones.

Once people ignore me a couple of times, well, I'm not as nice anymore.

Well, as I said before this post. I normally ask politely a couple of times first. But so many people won't even look up from their phones.

Once people ignore me a couple of times, well, I'm not as nice anymore.

As I told Sarahraegraham, I missed the part where you both had asked previously. Frankly, I ask nicely once, then I become a bit less polite. ;)

And don't get me started on cell phones. I've stopped moving out of people's way if they're looking down as they walk. When they plow into me, at least I'm prepared for it! It's always fun when they get mad at me because they walked into me. Sorry! (not sorry). :rotfl:

As I told Sarahraegraham, I missed the part where you both had asked previously. Frankly, I ask nicely once, then I become a bit less polite. ;)

And don't get me started on cell phones. I've stopped moving out of people's way if they're looking down as they walk. When they plow into me, at least I'm prepared for it! It's always fun when they get mad at me because they walked into me. Sorry! (not sorry). :rotfl:
I had a guy almost fall over me, all the while me yelling, "look up, look up, look up." His friends were rolling with laughter. It was crowded enough that I couldn't get out of the way. So I just stopped.

You are 100% correct, so to be fair to all and treat everyone equally, do away with the priority board first process, and everyone gets in line first come/first serve. That way everyone is being treated equally. But IMHO that doesn't make much sense, though it would be equal treatment.

I'm not trying to kick the hornets nest, that's already been done in previous threads. But, I think what the OP was trying to say, and makes some sense is that those needing accommodations can pre-board with one other person, the rest of the party waits in line with the rest of the crowd. If they get on the bus that's wonderful, if not then they would need to wait. The person needing the accommodation would be assisted, no discrimination in my eyes.

I agree. The whole point is to treat everyone equally, as much as possible given that they do need to load the ECVs first. I don't think people really have a problem with the fact that it's safer for everyone if the ECV loads and is tied down before filling the bus with other guests. But if you think about it, if no one in the travel party was in need of a mobility device, they would enter the end of the queue as it stands when they arrive and wait however long they had to in order to board a bus - not cutting the line. It's one of those things I am torn about, because while I don't really want to split up a party, it does get frustrating when I'm the fifth person in line for a bus and two ECVs and their large parties show up much later and I don't even get to board the bus when it arrives. That happened to me twice at DHS this year. There were so many people traveling with the ECVs that they completely filled the bus, and there were a lot of us in line who had been waiting much longer. I just wish they could come up with a way to really make it more equal for all. I think that's all anyone is really looking for.

I agree. The whole point is to treat everyone equally, as much as possible given that they do need to load the ECVs first. I don't think people really have a problem with the fact that it's safer for everyone if the ECV loads and is tied down before filling the bus with other guests. But if you think about it, if no one in the travel party was in need of a mobility device, they would enter the end of the queue as it stands when they arrive and wait however long they had to in order to board a bus - not cutting the line. It's one of those things I am torn about, because while I don't really want to split up a party, it does get frustrating when I'm the fifth person in line for a bus and two ECVs and their large parties show up much later and I don't even get to board the bus when it arrives. That happened to me twice at DHS this year. There were so many people traveling with the ECVs that they completely filled the bus, and there were a lot of us in line who had been waiting much longer. I just wish they could come up with a way to really make it more equal for all. I think that's all anyone is really looking for.

It is impossible for ECVs and their parties to totally fill a bus, unless they were each traveling with 25 people or more.

It is impossible for ECVs and their parties to totally fill a bus, unless they were each traveling with 25 people or more.

There were so many people with them, that the driver started asking them as they were boarding if they were part of the same travel party. Personally, I have my doubts that they all were, but they all nodded yes and were allowed to board. Since there were two ECVs, either person would have assumed if they didn't know the person that they were traveling with the other ECV group. Like I said, it's only happened to me twice, both times at DHS during my August trip. Maybe they were family reunion groups? When we do a family reunion there are more than 50 of us, but we have never tried to do one at Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter