Lots more scooters riding the buses now

It is a decent compromise until you have to be on a scooter. And you end up waiting for 3 or 4 buses before you can board.
Exactly, my record was 3 buses while in the regular line (what everyone else would have waited for), then 5 buses in the ECV line. This was a while back, but still annoying.

Do you mean after you get to the split? I don't see how splitting off earlier would help that if there are just more ECVs/wheelchairs/etc than the buses can handle. If you mean in total, well that's the same as everyone else in line.
See my previous post, I waited a total of 8 buses and yes, bypassing the regular line would have helped in that case because there were ECVs ahead of me in the regular line. The first three had no ECVs on them, but had the people in line bypassed the regular line they would have been loaded and it would have made it where we only waited 5 buses instead of 8.

Of course I think Disney should have some special ADA buses that can accommodate just wheelchairs/ECVs and their parties when there are an extra large number of them at the same time.

See my previous post, I waited a total of 8 buses and yes, bypassing the regular line would have helped in that case because there were ECVs ahead of me in the regular line. The first three had no ECVs on them, but had the people in line bypassed the regular line they would have been loaded and it would have made it where we only waited 5 buses instead of 8.

Of course I think Disney should have some special ADA buses that can accommodate just wheelchairs/ECVs and their parties when there are an extra large number of them at the same time.
but what about the people waiting for buses in long lines seeing some party walk up and get on special bus and they have to wait. to do this Disney would have to have a lot of special buses and most times the ECV user would be having a bus to them selves as there is not that much seating those buses. with large parties like 10 or more people you might get 2 ECVs on plus parties. I can just hear the people waiting for regular buses that are packed. so be careful what you wish for

but what about the people waiting for buses in long lines seeing some party walk up and get on special bus and they have to wait. to do this Disney would have to have a lot of special buses and most times the ECV user would be having a bus to them selves as there is not that much seating those buses. with large parties like 10 or more people you might get 2 ECVs on plus parties. I can just hear the people waiting for regular buses that are packed. so be careful what you wish for
Honestly, those of us who have to use ECVs would all trade the reasons we need them for standing in those lines in a heartbeat, but no one would do that. So, yes, it might seem unfair to those who don't need the devices, except when they realize having those buses just cut their wait down from 60 minutes to 15 minutes because now the standard buses can fit additional people. And how is it fair that just because someone needs a mobility device they have to wait 5 extra buses? Yet, who complains the people without the mobility devices, my suggestion simply brings waits to be on par for everyone, not giving an advantage to anyone over another.

That being said, I would expect the buses would be full sized buses that are designed to hold probably 6 ECVs per bus and I would expect the same rules apply that each party be a maximum of the person in an ECV and 5 additional, any beyond that would need to wait in the regular queue.

These would only be used when there are an excessive number of wheelchairs and ECVs are going to a single place, so let's say they are 10 ECVs and 5 wheelchairs waiting for Animal Kingdom Lodge, they would send one or two of these special buses to supplement the regular buses that would also belonging the ECVs and wheelchairs, making more capacity available for everyone ultimately. This means there really wouldn't need to be that many of these special buses, they are truly just additional capacity that are designed to get as many ECVs and wheelchairs moved so that space can be freed up in the standard buses.

Last edited:

Honestly, those of us who have to use ECVs would all trade the reasons we need them for standing in those lines in a heartbeat, but no one would do that.
THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Last August I was sitting in an ECV waiting on a bus at CSR and a young man said "Yeah, a scooter is the way to go."
I told him I'd gladly trade my bum knee for one of his good ones and then he could use a scooter all day and I could enjoy being mobile again.
He apologized and said that he hadn't thought of it that way.
And that is the problem with so many people who crab and whine about the people in ECV's.
They don't take into consideration that one day they could have to rely on a scooter just to get around without severe pain.
I never thought I'd need one.................

Last August I was sitting in an ECV waiting on a bus at CSR and a young man said "Yeah, a scooter is the way to go."
I told him I'd gladly trade my bum knee for one of his good ones and then he could use a scooter all day and I could enjoy being mobile again.
And that is the problem with so many people who crab and whine about the people in ECV's.
They don't take into consideration that one day they could have to rely on a scooter just to get around without severe pain.
Yep, luckily I am not where I need one in day to day life, but unfortunately Disney World is a different situation where I do need it. Hopefully I can get back to a point where I don't, but that doubt that will happen until I reach the point I have to have knee surgery.

The people who complain the most are the ones who have never had those that need assistance in their lives. I really think everyone (who doesn't already) should be required to use a manual wheelchair for at least a week before they can graduate high school. That means they are in the wheelchair anytime they are awake aside from using the restroom, they can't even go up and down stairs on their own. I think we would see people being a lot kinder to those who may need assistance.

Honestly, those of us who have to use ECVs would all trade the reasons we need them for standing in those lines in a heartbeat, but no one would do that. So, yes, it might seem unfair to those who don't need the devices, except when they realize having those buses just cut their wait down from 60 minutes to 15 minutes because now the standard buses can fit additional people. And how is it fair that just because someone needs a mobility device they have to wait 5 extra buses? Yet, who complains the people without the mobility devices, my suggestion simply brings waits to be on par for everyone, not giving an advantage to anyone over another.

That being said, I would expect the buses would be full sized buses that are designed to hold probably 6 ECVs per bus and I would expect the same rules apply that each party be a maximum of the person in an ECV and 5 additional, any beyond that would need to wait in the regular queue.

These would only be used when there are an excessive number of wheelchairs and ECVs are going to a single place, so let's say they are 10 ECVs and 5 wheelchairs waiting for Animal Kingdom Lodge, they would send one or two of these special buses to supplement the regular buses that would also belonging the ECVs and wheelchairs, making more capacity available for everyone ultimately. This means there really wouldn't need to be that many of these special buses, they are truly just additional capacity that are designed to get as many ECVs and wheelchairs moved so that space can be freed up in the standard buses.
only problem with spaces for 6 ECVs where are you going to put all the large parties of 10 besides the ECVs? using your 6 EVCs per bus where are you planning on putting the 30 other guests? regular guests are still going to complain that the ECV get one or 2 families per bus not the crowed buses they are on. hw are you going to group the ECVs by resort in the space without having many bus stops. where are you going to place those spots without having pickups at the normal bus stop?

only problem with spaces for 6 ECVs where are you going to put all the large parties of 10 besides the ECVs? using your 6 EVCs per bus where are you planning on putting the 30 other guests? regular guests are still going to complain that the ECV get one or 2 families per bus not the crowed buses they are on. hw are you going to group the ECVs by resort in the space without having many bus stops. where are you going to place those spots without having pickups at the normal bus stop?
As I said, no more than 5 additional per ECV, the front of the bus is where you would have 6 ECVs, with maybe a couple seats there and more in the back, I also never said that they couldn't accommodate additional people standing or in seats if they so choose. But even without those standing, this would be 6 families on the bus, potentially up to 36 people on total without taking anyone else, but then they can fill in additional people from the regular line. And people are going to complain no matter what, so why not make life easier and lines shorter for everyone?

And the bus would pick up from the same location, this is simply getting ECVs and wheelchairs out at a faster pace, allowing more space on the other buses as well, it is easy to look at see how many ECVs and wheelchairs are waiting for buses, they are already grouped together, either from the start or after they reach a certain point in line.

it is easy to look at see how many ECVs and wheelchairs are waiting for buses
It changes constantly.
You can't tell just by looking who can transfer (and fold & hold) vs who needs to be tied down.
You would have to have a couple or more buses and drivers sitting around waiting until/unless a multi-device bus is needed.
Ambulatory visitors won't care, but it will take a LOT longer to tie down and untie six devices than two.
When buses piggyback, the secondsecond(, third, fourth) buses are 100% accessible to visitors on foot, but 100% inaccessible to vistors with mobility devices.

As I said, no more than 5 additional per ECV, the front of the bus is where you would have 6 ECVs, with maybe a couple seats there and more in the back, I also never said that they couldn't accommodate additional people standing or in seats if they so choose. But even without those standing, this would be 6 families on the bus, potentially up to 36 people on total without taking anyone else, but then they can fill in additional people from the regular line. And people are going to complain no matter what, so why not make life easier and lines shorter for everyone?

And the bus would pick up from the same location, this is simply getting ECVs and wheelchairs out at a faster pace, allowing more space on the other buses as well, it is easy to look at see how many ECVs and wheelchairs are waiting for buses, they are already grouped together, either from the start or after they reach a certain point in line.
I think the maximum number of tie-down spaces you can fit forward of the rear door in a standard 40' bus is 4. Disney did test using a bus with 4 tie-downs about 13 years ago. I came in on the tail end of the test period, so I don't know exactly what they did with it, but it was abandoned and converted to the standard arrangement. It may have been that they didn't want the bus just standing by with a driver, but if they used it in regular service then it would not be available when a backup of wheelchairs happened.

For a couple of years, all new buses came in with 3 tie-downs. Eventually, those buses were converted to have just 2. That may have been for operational reasons, or it may have been that it was too expensive or technically infeasible to replace all 3 tie-downs with the newer types that were retrofitted onto all buses. The newer tie-downs are faster to hook up, and less likely to cause strain injuries in drivers.

The flip side of your story is someone like my grandmother, who spent the last 10 years of her life in one because she didn't want to work hard in rehab to recover after an injury. She was also overweight, had diabetes and congestive heart failure due to not taking her health seriously. Prolonged disuse of her legs after the injury basically lead to atrophy and no alternative but to require a scooter to be mobile.

For as many people who truly need an ECV, there are many that wouldn't if they made better life choices.

The flip side of your story is someone like my grandmother, who spent the last 10 years of her life in one because she didn't want to work hard in rehab to recover after an injury. She was also overweight, had diabetes and congestive heart failure due to not taking her health seriously. Prolonged disuse of her legs after the injury basically lead to atrophy and no alternative but to require a scooter to be mobile.

For as many people who truly need an ECV, there are many that wouldn't if they made better life choices.
Honestly, it isn't for me or you or anyone else to judge them for their actions or inactions. Really, we don't know their mental state or what causes them to do what they do, all we can control is our own actions and do what we can to help and support others that may need our help.

Yes, it is frustrating to see loved ones go through things that we think they could have avoided, but there may have been more going on than you know.l and judging does no good for you or them.

I am not saying you are or aren't judging, I am simply pointing out that it really does t matter if they could fix the situation or not, if they currently need an ECV, then that's what they need and we shouldn't look down on anyone because of that.

When buses piggyback, the secondsecond(, third, fourth) buses are 100% accessible to visitors on foot, but 100% inaccessible to vistors with mobility devices.

Are they doing that anymore? On my last trip they always had the second bus circle around and wait until the bus at the stop left. No piggybacking.

Are they doing that anymore? On my last trip they always had the second bus circle around and wait until the bus at the stop left. No piggybacking.
Last time we were there they were definitely doing it.

That was September 2018.

While we were waiting, two other buses arrived, not pulling in where a scooter could load. Instead they simply opened their doors allowing able bodied people to pile in.

Edit: Not a time traveler, just a typo.

Last edited:
Last time we were there they were definitely doing it.

That was September 2019.

While we were waiting, two other buses arrived, not pulling in where a scooter could load. Instead they simply opened their doors allowing able bodied people to pile in.

They weren't doing it at all in December 2018.

During our trip at FQ last week, when the bus was sharing with POR (just for DS trips for the most part) yes, this is exactly what happened. The ECV got left behind
As an ECV user, there have been times if the bus is partially full that I will tell the bus to go on--it is very scary to try to maneuver an ECV into those tight spaces when people are sitting inches away. Often the bus drivers will insist, however.

Why is that your plan? Disney does allow you to board the bus with 5 guests. Why ride alone?
Yes, why would you be the one to have to catch up? Assuming there aren't several mobility device users in front of you, why wouldn't you take at least one or two with you and let the others remain in the line and get on when their turn comes?

Yes, why would you be the one to have to catch up? Assuming there aren't several mobility device users in front of you, why wouldn't you take at least one or two with you and let the others remain in the line and get on when their turn comes?
I'd let them go first because I am in a vehicle which allows me to move faster and catch up to them, when the crowds aren't packed ear to ear, and the rest of the party, being younger, has set up their agenda without allowing for such things as having to wait on a later bus. :)

Interesting discussion....thanks for keeping it civil!!! Love you guys.
Anyway....as far as an ECV specific bus goes, sure, they could have one. But I doubt it would service just one resort. It would probably make several stops, perhaps up to five or so. Why? In all my trips to WDW (at least 75 since '99) I have never seen more than three scooters/wheelchairs at a stop. And it's usually just the one, possibly two. Yes, I've seen scooters left behind. I stood with a couple, both on scooters, at the MK bus stops, during the summer. It was midday, and brutally hot/humid. Yet this couple had already had one bus come and go because it couldn't accommodate them. Seems the lift was malfunctioning. So, they had waited about 15 mins to begin with, that bus came and went, so another 15 mins of waiting. We stood and waited for the next bus. Again, the bus couldn't accommodate them. Seriously?? Another bus came along about 10 mins later...oh, sorry, my lift isn't working correctly!!!! Yeah, I waited with them. I wanted to see exactly how many buses they had to wait for. The fourth bus came along, and thank God, it could take them both. So, all in all, this nice, senior couple (probably in their 80's) had had to sit and wait, out in the heat/humidity, for well over an hour, closer to 90 mins. And yes, I made a stink when we got back to the resort!!! They didn't want to 'bother' anymore. Yeah, I don't think so.

So, yes, I fully understand the frustration, I really do. But, I have yet to witness scooter guests waiting for multiple buses on a regular basis.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter