Lots more scooters riding the buses now

Yeah, sometimes that happens. Are you saying that mobility device users should not (be allowed to) travel with large parties? Because the only way that can be equitable is it nobody can travel with large parties.
I don't think that's what PP is saying. At issue, and I feel the frustration is valid, is you show up at the bus stop and wait 20 minutes for your bus to arrive. As the bus pulls up, an ECV rider shows up with a large party. Obviously the ECV rider boards. But should their entire party board (let's make it extreme and say they're travelling with 20 others) and prevent those who have been waiting from getting on the bus?

I agree there needs to be a reasonable limit on how many people are allowed to board with the ECV *AND* Disney needs to stick to that limit. I think the limit is more than 5, but less than 10. That's simply my opinion.

I don't think that's what PP is saying. At issue, and I feel the frustration is valid, is you show up at the bus stop and wait 20 minutes for your bus to arrive. As the bus pulls up, an ECV rider shows up with a large party. Obviously the ECV rider boards. But should their entire party board (let's make it extreme and say they're travelling with 20 others) and prevent those who have been waiting from getting on the bus?

I agree there needs to be a reasonable limit on how many people are allowed to board with the ECV *AND* Disney needs to stick to that limit. I think the limit is more than 5, but less than 10. That's simply my opinion.

And that is the limit Disney has now. 5 plus the person with the scooter/ecv/wheelchair.

I have a huge problem with the posters who seem to think it would be no big deal for a family to have to separate constantly while on vacation. How would they like it if they were told they could only get on a bus with one family member, and maybe the rest of the family could ride with them, but maybe not? I also don't see how it is in the Disney spirit AT ALL to tell people who need to use wheels to see the parks that that is what is expected of them.

They don't need to split up the parties - those in the scooters and the rest of their party need to wait in line the SAME AS EVERYONE ELSE. Equal treatment. I have never understood why they get to cut the lines all the time.
but remember if you do it that way once the scooter comes to front of line no one gets to go past it as bus will most likely be too full to load scooter so bus may have to leave half full as no one can go/cut in front of scooter. you want equal treatment so then you will not be able to past me so that means line stops when scooter cant be loaded only fair if you cant pass scooter so be careful what you wish for

And that is the limit Disney has now. 5 plus the person with the scooter/ecv/wheelchair.

I have a huge problem with the posters who seem to think it would be no big deal for a family to have to separate constantly while on vacation. How would they like it if they were told they could only get on a bus with one family member, and maybe the rest of the family could ride with them, but maybe not? I also don't see how it is in the Disney spirit AT ALL to tell people who need to use wheels to see the parks that that is what is expected of them.

Let's assume that the disabled person plus 5 continues. That person is traveling with extended family but there are 20 of them in total. Other families have already been waiting on a long line and a few buses have already come and gone due to crowds. They should be on the next bus. The disabled family now arrives and because of their group size, you want them all to jump ahead of the families who have been already waiting. Perhaps the answer is that the disabled person and their choice of 5 others gets on a line for ECV/wheelchair access while the rest of their party enters the regular queue. When the next bus comes, if it doesn't look like their entire party will get on the bus, the disabled person can either decline to board that bus and waits for the next bus when their entire party will be able to board or the group agrees to split up. I think that would be a more fair system.

No. We want the Party of Six (or fewer) rule enforced.

I was responding to another poster who doesn't think larger parties should be separated at all. My suggestion was addressing enforcement of the party of six rule while also addressing PP's concerns about larger parties.

When the next bus comes, if it doesn't look like their entire party will get on the bus, the disabled person can either decline to board
No. A bus holds two (count 'em - two) non-folded mobility devices. It holds maybe 60 ambulatory passengers. A mobility device-using visitor does not have the flexibility that a person on foot does.

Declining to board causes its own issues: holds up all others in that boarding line; delays boarding for everyone while each party works out among themselves and others in that line; potential issues with the next bus/es like both spots being taken, or the ramp/lift not working, or the driver (cough) not "seeing" the mobility device passenger who's waiting in the right spot and flagging down the bus. I've experienced almost all of these in a single attempt to board a bus, leaving Epcot with very few others leaving, so no long bus lines.

There's also always the distinct possibility, given the long wait in your example, will send another bus or two but have them piggyback, i.e. next to and behind each other. Ambulatory passengers can board with setup. Mobility device users can't.q

I was responding to another poster who doesn't think larger parties should be separated at all. My suggestion was addressing enforcement of the party of six rule while also addressing PP's concerns about larger parties.
I believe there's a bit of miscommunication here :)

That poster was responding to the one who thinks an ECV used should be able to have just a single companion board with them.

I really think that if Disney bus drivers enforced what is on signage at each bus stop, there would be a lot less grumbling. I'm at WDW a lot, I've used the buses a lot. I seldom see more than 4 or 5 guests boarding with the ECV guest. But, the times it has been more people than that, well, that's when other guests start Bu. Sure, there are some that grumble as soon as they see an ECV arrive!!! But when an ECV arrives, with 10+ people in the group, and those people board first? That's 14 seats that are taken up! So, yes, it can be an issue. But, if the driver told the party that only 5 could board with the ECV, and the rest would have to wait in the line, I'm pretty sure that everyone would be happier...well, probably not those in the group that now have to wait in line!

My last trip in June we had a huge family(8) get on the bus with a ecv and all the people sat and never gave a seat up to help older people or children . Sure you can get on the bus with the ecv but please be aware of others needs as well. The amount of people who would let a mom holding a baby stand while they sit and look at there phone it's crazy. This happened 3 times on my last trip and I always gave up my spot if I was sitting but most the time I was standing already.

We need to remember that many people are disabled even not in a evc. The only time the evc line stressed me out was when traveling with my mother. She can't stand on a bus but can walk just fine to the rental place at the park for evc. I had to beg people to offer a seat to her or pray every time there would be a open spot. We fixed this issue later in the trip by just taking the Minnie vans.

So people who cares if a ecv gets to get on first.(as long as the rules are enforced) lets all be caring humans and offer seats to who need them.

my mother. She can't stand on a bus but can walk just fine to the rental place at the park for evc. I had to beg people to offer a seat to her or pray every time there would be a open spot. We fixed this issue later in the trip by just taking the Minnie vans.
Another recommended option is to step aside and wait for the next bus.

I am in the camp of ECV plus up to 5 people getting on. If there are so many people waiting that the family wouldn’t get on the first bus anyway they would have to wait for a second bus if they didn’t have an Ecv they are no worse off. Yes some of their party would be at the park ahead of them but they would have gotten to the park on the second bus anyway if they didn’t have a handicapped person so the group as a whole wouldn’t be entering the park any later. Honestly the bus rides aren’t such an amazing thing that a family needs to experience them together. They really aren’t. Most people just ride quietly or chat with their neighbor. Of course if the group is mostly children without many or any other adults exceptions can be made for that. I really think the policy should be followed. Ok I know this is poorly written but I can’t figure out how to make my thoughts clearer sorry

I'll bet someone at Disney wishes they could increase the department budget for onsite rentals so this giant logistical disaster with off-site rented devices wouldn't start on the resort buses...

I am sure Disney COULD implement a better transportation system since they have plenty of MB data to track us all with... but they have chosen NOT to. I mean, if your MDE account shows that you are traveling with 5 people and Aunt Mabel is using an ECV, you think they could figure out how to communicate with the busing depot when your party wants to go to the Parks! Especially if you all have breakfast reservations at 9am at Crystal Palace or something... uhhhh gee WHERE else will you all be going that morning?! LOL

ButI would prefer they spend the extra cost on providing an exceptional Experience... not find the cheapest way to show me they are cutting costs...

Let's assume that the disabled person plus 5 continues. That person is traveling with extended family but there are 20 of them in total. Other families have already been waiting on a long line and a few buses have already come and gone due to crowds. They should be on the next bus. The disabled family now arrives and because of their group size, you want them all to jump ahead of the families who have been already waiting. Perhaps the answer is that the disabled person and their choice of 5 others gets on a line for ECV/wheelchair access while the rest of their party enters the regular queue. When the next bus comes, if it doesn't look like their entire party will get on the bus, the disabled person can either decline to board that bus and waits for the next bus when their entire party will be able to board or the group agrees to split up. I think that would be a more fair system.

I travel with my Mom in an ECV. It is just the 2 of us and I do board with her. Last year at Boardwalk, we saw a family with 16 board with the ECV. The person who sat next to me (from general boarding) said she did not care that I got on with Mom, but did care about the group of 16. I had to agree. That same morning --- there were 5 ECVs waiting to go to the same park with a 6th pulling up as we were boarding. We were each given a number (we happened to be 1 since we were the first there thankfully), but that meant 3 buses full for scooters with only about 1.5 buses worth of able bodied people. So those people will now be waiting for a lot longer since only 2 could go on each bus (as long as ramps were working or they were not ignored by drivers). Where does that fall into your idea? If the first people decline (and their family is furthest forward in the line), that will put the others in possibly buses 4 or 5 and probably create an even bigger back up.

No. A bus holds two (count 'em - two) non-folded mobility devices. It holds maybe 60 ambulatory passengers. A mobility device-using visitor does not have the flexibility that a person on foot does.

Declining to board causes its own issues: holds up all others in that boarding line; delays boarding for everyone while each party works out among themselves and others in that line; potential issues with the next bus/es like both spots being taken, or the ramp/lift not working, or the driver (cough) not "seeing" the mobility device passenger who's waiting in the right spot and flagging down the bus. I've experienced almost all of these in a single attempt to board a bus, leaving Epcot with very few others leaving, so no long bus lines.

There's also always the distinct possibility, given the long wait in your example, will send another bus or two but have them piggyback, i.e. next to and behind each other. Ambulatory passengers can board with setup. Mobility device users can't.q
You can't force anyone to board a bus just because they're next in line. Anyone has the right to wait for another bus if they want to wait for a seat, or they want their entire party on the same bus. There's no guarantee how long they'll have to wait or that they'll fit on the very next bus, just that they'll have the opportunity to be first to board. Meanwhile, those in the queue behind them have the right to board the bus they declined.

I travel with my Mom in an ECV. It is just the 2 of us and I do board with her. Last year at Boardwalk, we saw a family with 16 board with the ECV. The person who sat next to me (from general boarding) said she did not care that I got on with Mom, but did care about the group of 16. I had to agree. That same morning --- there were 5 ECVs waiting to go to the same park with a 6th pulling up as we were boarding. We were each given a number (we happened to be 1 since we were the first there thankfully), but that meant 3 buses full for scooters with only about 1.5 buses worth of able bodied people. So those people will now be waiting for a lot longer since only 2 could go on each bus (as long as ramps were working or they were not ignored by drivers). Where does that fall into your idea? If the first people decline (and their family is furthest forward in the line), that will put the others in possibly buses 4 or 5 and probably create an even bigger back up.

It is not likely that every one of those 5 ECVs have more than 6 people in their party. Those with fewer can then board ahead of the ECV person who has a larger party if that person wants everyone to travel together. There will never be a perfect answer to addressing the fairness issue here. If Disney routinely enforced the ECV rider plus 5 rule and had everyone else in their party wait on the standard line, a lot of the complaints would be avoided.

No, if the first chair in line declines to board, their spot goes to the next chair in line. It's highly unlikely that all of the chairs in your example would have parties larger than 6 and choose to wait for their entire party.

Buses should not be running with out-of-service ramps. If one is and a chair is denied boarding because of it, another bus should be dispatched immediately. But that's a whole 'nother issue.

I am sure Disney COULD implement a better transportation system since they have plenty of MB data to track us all with... but they have chosen NOT to. I mean, if your MDE account shows that you are traveling with 5 people and Aunt Mabel is using an ECV, you think they could figure out how to communicate with the busing depot when your party wants to go to the Parks! Especially if you all have breakfast reservations at 9am at Crystal Palace or something... uhhhh gee WHERE else will you all be going that morning?!
^^ Yes! This is what's been rolling through my mind for some time.

There is no reason that Disney shouldn't be asking if any guest in your party needs any special accommodations, then allow the user to select which those that apply. At that point the hotel knows this, the restaurants know this and the transportation department knows this. Even if they don't track as you've mention they should know how many persons needing accommodations will be at a resort and park on any given day, at least for those staying on-site.

I think Disney could be wise to invest in a fleet of buses with more seating, not for the overall transportation but a smaller fleet dedicated to those with wheelchairs or scooters. If they were to geofence the bus stops the Magic Band could trigger a call to a bus with a lift and able to accommodate some (maybe not all) members in the party. It could be manual done with a phone through the MDE but would be even better if it was automatic. The Dial-A-Ride in our community provides something like this, in addition to the regular bloated and under used fleet of buses, surely Disney has the brain power to develop something to provide better service for those with disabilities, this could be a win-win.

I can only hope that Disney has looked at something like this, but it's the same Disney that appears to be doing nothing about replacing the Monorail fleet so I don't hold out much hope.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter