Lots more scooters riding the buses now

As for why guests get angry with ECV guests at bus stops? Well, imagine that you've been standing there for 30 mins. You weren't able to get on one bus, so had to wait for the next one. As that second bus comes up, what do you see? A family with an ECV! That ECV rolls up to the appointed ECV area to be boarded, with six family members. They get to hop on with no wait at all, while you all stand there, hoping there will be enough room for you. God forbid it's two ECVs. That's 6 seats taken by the ECV, two more by those on the ECVs, and then whatever seats their family takes...so could be 15 seats taken up!!! Imagine if you're the one that doesn't make it onto the bus!!! Or you get on, but there are no seats (which is fine with most people), but you're now squeezed in, cheek to cheek. This is why so many guests get perturbed. But, I've also seen those using ECVs have extended waits as well. I see both sides of the issue.

Those 6 seats are marked as handicap priority. They are for ECVs and Wheelchairs. That is for them. They have priority. If they don't take those 6 seats what are they suppose to do with the ECV? Strap it to the roof? I don't get the "that's 6 seats taken by ECVs" like what else should we do with them?

My mom could not have gone to Disney without an ECV. We went for the first time in October. Some people seem to view those in wheelchairs and ECVs as nothing but an inconvenience. Some of these posts really take me back.

Those 6 seats are marked as handicap priority. They are for ECVs and Wheelchairs. That is for them. They have priority. If they don't take those 6 seats what are they suppose to do with the ECV? Strap it to the roof? I don't get the "that's 6 seats taken by ECVs" like what else should we do with them?

My mom could not have gone to Disney without an ECV. We went for the first time in October. Some people seem to view those in wheelchairs and ECVs as nothing but an inconvenience. Some of these posts really take me back.

Yup and that is the problem: able-bodied guests view those seats as “theirs” instead of as bonus seats if someone disabled doesn’t need them. Everything is theirs first, ours second and only grudgingly. The proof is in the words and behavior that scooter users encounter all day long.

Do I know everyone's story? No, of course not. BUT....there are those that get an ECV just so they don't get tired. I've seen it, over and over. I spend a fair amount of time in the parks, more than the average person. I don't begrudge anyone being able to use an ECV. I've been to WDW with those who could have used an ECV but decided against it, figuring we could just take it a bit more slowly. That was their choice. I've also never used a stroller. The first time I went to WDW my dd was 5. I asked her if she wanted to take her old stroller...nope, it was for 'babies' she said. So, we just slowed down and took rests when needed. That same dd is now a full time CM...and she has stroller and ECV stories that would have you howling!
Personally, I can't imagine lugging a huge stroller around and having to load and unload my kids. Nor can I imagine spending the money for an ECV (just so I didn't get tired) and have those issues getting around crowded parks. Have I walked in front of an ECV? Yep. But, here's the thing..if I'm walking behind you, and you either slow way down, or come to a stop, I'm going around you. Don't scream at me, or ring your little bell if you decide to start up again just as I get in front of you. Also don't think that you have more right to the walkways/roads than I do. Same with strollers. I can't imagine anything worse than trying to move that huge double stroller around, in the dark, after the fireworks show at MK. But, please, that was your choice. I am not going to move to the side so that you can more easily get to where you want to go. Don't scream at me that you need to get moving, when there are thousands of people in your way and they can move freely but you can't.
I know this can sound harsh...I don't mean it to. I am truly a nice person. But, there are some things that really frost my patootie!!! And entitlement is one of them.

As for why guests get angry with ECV guests at bus stops? Well, imagine that you've been standing there for 30 mins. You weren't able to get on one bus, so had to wait for the next one. As that second bus comes up, what do you see? A family with an ECV! That ECV rolls up to the appointed ECV area to be boarded, with six family members. They get to hop on with no wait at all, while you all stand there, hoping there will be enough room for you. God forbid it's two ECVs. That's 6 seats taken by the ECV, two more by those on the ECVs, and then whatever seats their family takes...so could be 15 seats taken up!!! Imagine if you're the one that doesn't make it onto the bus!!! Or you get on, but there are no seats (which is fine with most people), but you're now squeezed in, cheek to cheek. This is why so many guests get perturbed. But, I've also seen those using ECVs have extended waits as well. I see both sides of the issue.
Those 2 ECVs already have those spots reserved for the disabled. They are not taking up spots for people already in line. Those spots are reserved
for wheelchairs and ECVs. The only time those seats are ever available to those waiting in line are if they are NO wheelchairs that need transportation. The disabled have the same rights to public transportation as the general public, just less opportunity at Disney. The disabled only have 2 spots available per bus. Period. If one or both of those spots are taken, they have to wait for the next bus and hope there is a spot open. Everyone else in the line will have the opportunity to board the bus, even if they have to stand, they’ll be able to board the bus. If they prefer a seat, they can wait for the next bus or call an Uber.

Please stop making the disabled the scapegoats for Disney’s less than ideal bus system. The real problem is that Disney should be providing more buses or more frequent buses to better serve all of their guests.

Those 2 ECVs already have those spots reserved for the disabled. They are not taking up spots for people already in line. Those spots are reserved
for wheelchairs and ECVs. The only time those seats are ever available to those waiting in line are if they are NO wheelchairs that need transportation. The disabled have the same rights to public transportation as the general public, just less opportunity at Disney. The disabled only have 2 spots available per bus. Period. If one or both of those spots are taken, they have to wait for the next bus and hope there is a spot open. Everyone else in the line will have the opportunity to board the bus, even if they have to stand, they’ll be able to board the bus. If they prefer a seat, they can wait for the next bus or call an Uber.

Please stop making the disabled the scapegoats for Disney’s less than ideal bus system. The real problem is that Disney should be providing more buses or more frequent buses to better serve all of their guests.

Exactly, thank you for saying that. The moderator should be ashamed of herself for her comments and learn some compassion, IMO only, no flaming.

The scooter is already taking up much more space and time than an individual; there's no justification that their party should cut ahead also. In the past, scooters were rare enough so that it didn't matter. Now that the number of scooters have increased, the rules should be updated and made more fair to minimize the impact on others.

"Minimize the impact on others" did you really make this statement? Idk how I missed that part before. You are asking Disney to disrupt the vacation of disabled people and their families so that it doesn't "impact" you? Is your vacation more important than theirs?

What I am hearing a lot of is that ECVs/wheelchair take up "too much room" and they take "too long" to load. How dare those people who need ECVs/wheelchairs go to Disney World!! They should just stay home and never go anywhere in order to not disrupt other peoples vacations.

Gosh I am really blown away. Honestly. I think about how many people in wheelchairs and ECVs want to go to Disney or take their disabled child to Disney but who are afraid of ignorant opinions like this.

Before we went to Disney in October for the first time I read things on this board. I took my mom to Disney in celebration of her double lung transplant. She has no endurance at all. She needs to take a break if she walks up our basement stairs. However, this is such an in improvement from needing oxygen 24/7. I knew she could not walk these long distances at all. And I read posts like these that were so insulting and disrespectful to people in ECVs. I was thinking "I don't want to be an inconvenience or a burden" "what if people are annoyed with us in the park"... And I felt that way because I read posts like these!

So to whoever is out there reading this thread who wants to go to Disney but doesn't want to use an ECV out of fear of ignorant opinions please don't be discouraged. Rent that ECV and enjoy your vacation. There are lots of people who need assistance who go to Disney every day. You will encounter some rude people but you will also encounter wonderful people who will understand and do their best to assist you. Disney is for everyone. Disney is for those who are in wheelchairs and ECVs. You have the same rights as everyone else to have a wonderful magical vacation. :)

This! Times ten million.

"Minimize the impact on others" did you really make this statement? Idk how I missed that part before. You are asking Disney to disrupt the vacation of disabled people and their families so that it doesn't "impact" you? Is your vacation more important than theirs?

What I am hearing a lot of is that ECVs/wheelchair take up "too much room" and they take "too long" to load. How dare those people who need ECVs/wheelchairs go to Disney World!! They should just stay home and never go anywhere in order to not disrupt other peoples vacations.

Gosh I am really blown away. Honestly. I think about how many people in wheelchairs and ECVs want to go to Disney or take their disabled child to Disney but who are afraid of ignorant opinions like this.

Before we went to Disney in October for the first time I read things on this board. I took my mom to Disney in celebration of her double lung transplant. She has no endurance at all. She needs to take a break if she walks up our basement stairs. However, this is such an in improvement from needing oxygen 24/7. I knew she could not walk these long distances at all. And I read posts like these that were so insulting and disrespectful to people in ECVs. I was thinking "I don't want to be an inconvenience or a burden" "what if people are annoyed with us in the park"... And I felt that way because I read posts like these!

So to whoever is out there reading this thread who wants to go to Disney but doesn't want to use an ECV out of fear of ignorant opinions please don't be discouraged. Rent that ECV and enjoy your vacation. There are lots of people who need assistance who go to Disney every day. You will encounter some rude people but you will also encounter wonderful people who will understand and do their best to assist you. Disney is for everyone. Disney is for those who are in wheelchairs and ECVs. You have the same rights as everyone else to have a wonderful magical vacation. :)
We just came back from Disney. On our recent trip my son ended up getting croup and was told to take it easy and get a wheelchair so he didn't walk a lot. We rented a wheelchair in the park. A person came up to us and said "wow people using wheelchair instead of strollers or making kids walk, whatever works" Was a rude remark. My husband nicely said that my son just left the hospital the day before with croup and was using the wheelchair for his breathing. The guy apologized and walked away. We shouldn't judge people or make comments when you never know the person's situation. I was taken aback by how people could be rude, I haven't experienced that before.

That same dd is now a full time CM...and she has stroller and ECV stories that would have you howling!
Do tell!
Also don't think that you have more right to the walkways/roads than I do
Well, except that middle walkway at The Land - the one with the wheelchair sign at both ends :)
I know this can sound harsh...I don't mean it to. I am truly a nice person.
I can vouch for this, having spent time with Our Esteemed Moderator both in and out of Florida.
You probably are a really nice person, but I really hope you are not someone I ever encounter in the parks or on the busses because I would expect you to be one of the people berating me to your friends loud enough for me to hear.
Respectfully, you are mistaken.

I find it ironic that this issue keeps coming up on the disboards. A place where people are allegedly planning or discussing a vacation trip to Walt Disney World.

I use a power chair on a city bus during the work week. Often I am not the only person using a wheelchair at the bus stop. I am never the only person using a mobility device (ECV, wheelchair, walker, knee walker, rollator, etc.) on the bus. The bus driver has to load disabled passengers first, secure the mobility devices and secure the passengers, then open the front door for others to join the bus. Most people on the bus are dressed up and going to work. One assumes that they have to be on work at a specific time. Every time the bus stops and loads passengers, it takes more time for those passengers to get to work. I’ve not had anyone on a city bus give me a dirty look, side eye, big loud sigh or nasty remark said outloud like those in wheelchairs can’t hear them.

In all the years I have been taking public transportation, the only place I feel like a second class citizen as a disabled person is ironically enough, Walt Disney World, the happiest place on earth. The place where everyone is on vacation with their children is where, when I roll up to the bus stop, I may overhear nasty comments, sighs and get dirty looks. It used to bother me,now it just annoys me.

I’m sorry that me and my wheelchair may be slowing down your vacation time by having to wait an extra 5-10 minutes while the device is tied down to the bus. I’m sorry that I am taking up one of the two spots available to me, where perhaps you had planned to sit with your kids, backpacks and giant strollers. I’m sorry that perhaps, because I’m on the bus using one of the reserved handicapped spots, you might have to stand on the bus. Im sorry that you might have to wait for the next bus, if you don’t want to stand on the bus I’m tied down to. I’m sorry that having to share the paths at Disney with my wheeled device is sometimes challenging for all of you. In general, I’m sorry that my disability is inconvenient for you.

To be fair, not everyone at Disney is such a selfish, entitled, jerk. To those people who try to hush those negative comments at the bus stop, thank you. To those that actually meet my eye and speak to me like a real person, thank you. Thanks also for those folks who hold open the door so I can get through, who help me by surrounding my chair to help clear a path and keep others from cutting right in front of me, who point out at the quick service locations that I was next in line when others try to crowd me out, who pick things up that get knocked off my chair by people trying to run in front of me, who stop and let me pass at intersection and corners, who help me travel through the crowds without running into anyone who stops short. Thank you. Thank you for not seeing a wheelchair or ECV just slowing you down on your vacation, but seeing me as a real person, with feelings, just like everyone else. I see you and appreciate you. Thank you.

Last edited:
Do tell!

And I may be. All I have to base my feelings on is the words posted here and I stand by my assessment. She is one of the people I fear to meet at Disney because she doesn't seem to think I have a right to be there or ride the busses and wants to make sure everyone knows it. I hope I am wrong and that she wouldn't say anything where the person in the scooter could hear her, but this is public too and a lot of us can hear her distain.

Folks.....you are in Disney when this is occurring. If a scooter is enough to ruin your time, or to make you feel inconvenienced in some way, you are going about this vacation thing the wrong way. Disney really does try its best to make things “fair”, and if you are a scooter user, you are probably a lot more aware of changes regarding scooter user access than others. Just know that even though there are those who will try to cheat any system, the majority of people are really never trying to take any magic away from your time. Please keep that in mind, and I promise it will keep the magic ever more present in your vacation:)

In all the years I have been taking public transportation, the only place I feel like a second class citizen as a disabled person is ironically enough, Walt Disney World, the happiest place on earth.
I really hate to do this to you, but... DisneyLand is The Happiest Place on Earth. Walt Disney World is The Most Magical Place on Earth :D
And I may be. All I have to base my feelings on is the words posted here and I stand by my assessment. She is one of the people I fear to meet at Disney because she doesn't seem to think I have a right to be there or ride the busses and wants to make sure everyone knows it.
I am the person using an ECV with whom goofy4tink has spent time touring; one of them, anyway. I don't believe she had a negative attitude toward mobility device users even before we met. I don't believe she feels any differently now.

Even more, how would they like to be the person who needs to use the scooter knowing that able bodied people despise them?

After reading so many scooter hate threads I expect no courtesy and consideration from resort guests at bus stops.

You probably are a really nice person, but I really hope you are not someone I ever encounter in the parks or on the busses because I would expect you to be one of the people berating me to your friends loud enough for me to hear.

She is one of the people I fear to meet at Disney because she doesn't seem to think I have a right to be there or ride the busses and wants to make sure everyone knows it.

I would suggest re reading posts #19 & 28 above, then reread your responses to them. The poster is stating facts, but yet you have put words in their mouths that they did not say, to make them basically look like a terrible person.

You seem to be a bitter person that is looking for hate from others. No where in those posts do I see said, (or implied) what you are taking from them.

If we only look for negativity from others (no matter our situation) that is usually what we will see. I've found that most people truly are kind. Hope your situation and how you perceive others improves and you'll see happiness in touring the parks and in life. :goodvibes

You probably are a really nice person, but I really hope you are not someone I ever encounter in the parks or on the busses because I would expect you to be one of the people berating me to your friends loud enough for me to hear. I have had that happen on multiple occasions, as well as actual physical assault (was dumped off my scooter by someone because his wife jammed the wheel of her stroller under my scooter, was vaulted over by two teen boys while leaving Fantasmic). I try my best to ignore the side eyes, nasty remarks, etc and enjoy my time at Disney with my family, but able bodied guests who think they are entitled to a good vacation and I and my family are not because our presence inconveniences them are hard to ignore all the time. It is so constant that people we met and ended up running into every day of one vacation noticed it and were amazed at how prevalent it is. Threads like this that bash the disabled just make it harder and make us more paranoid about the hate we get.

Exactly, thank you for saying that. The moderator should be ashamed of herself for her comments and learn some compassion, IMO only, no flaming.
Seriously???? Did any of you even bother reading what I said???? I have no issues whatsoever with those that need an ECV...and I don't care what your reason is. My issue is with those that rent ECVs so they don't get tired, you know...they are perfectly capable of walking for miles on end but choose not to. Where did any of you get the impression that I would call someone out, or make a snide comment or do anything to make someone feel uncomfortable??? My issue is with those that do not truly need an ECV. And whether or not you choose to believe me, there are those in WDW that are on ECVs and they have no need, other than pure laziness. When you overhear the comments such as 'Well, this was a waste of money..I though people on ECVs got front of the line access, that we didn't have to wait. If we have to wait just like anyone else, why bother paying for one of these things???'...yes, I have heard that comment made, several times. Does that sound like a person who truly needs to use an ECV?? Sounds like an abuser to me. Do I say anything to these people? No.
As for those two sets of seats that are set aside for ECV tie down, yes, you're absolutely right. They are there for ECVs. BUT...you, again, missed my point. Guests get irked when they see two ECVs arrive at the bus stop, just as the bus gets there. These guests may have been waiting 5 mins, they may have been waiting 20 mins. But now they get to stand there and watch two ECVs load, taking those two sets of seats, while the two guests on the ECVs take another two seats. And if there is any family along, they take their seats....all while those who have been standing and waiting, have to now wait again and then probably stand on the bus. Did I say anywhere that this is how I feel?? No, I didn't. I'm just telling you what those guests are feeling. Does that make it right to make comments or roll their eyes? Absolutely not. It's the way bus transportation works. When you see a group of people go up to someone on an ECV and ask if they can be part of their party so they can board first....well, it's tiresome. And yes, I've seen this before as well.
Please....I completely understand how those of you using ECVs feel. I have no issues with you. Well not unless you get rude and pushy with me like that one woman ringing her bell and yelling for everyone to move aside, she needed to get through!! But most guests on ECVs are polite and considerate. As I said, my issue it with the sense of entitlement that some have....and they are usually the ones using ECVs for the wrong reason. I fully realize what kind of issues you all have, and there have been times when I have said something to those making rude remarks.
No one is 'bashing the disabled'...at least I'm not. I AM bashing those that use ECVs for the wrong reason and give those that need ECVs a bad name.

Do tell!

Well, except that middle walkway at The Land - the one with the wheelchair sign at both ends :)

I can vouch for this, having spent time with Our Esteemed Moderator both in and out of Florida.

Thanks!!! I was hoping you would say something.

And I may be. All I have to base my feelings on is the words posted here and I stand by my assessment. She is one of the people I fear to meet at Disney because she doesn't seem to think I have a right to be there or ride the busses and wants to make sure everyone knows it. I hope I am wrong and that she wouldn't say anything where the person in the scooter could hear her, but this is public too and a lot of us can hear her distain.
There is zero disdain in my comments. It seems that most of you have not had the same experiences I have had. I go to WDW every other month of so. My dd lives and works there, so I spend more time than ever there. I watch all the transportation situations. I've been laughed at because of this. My family will say 'what are you doing? Who cares what's going on with the buses.' But, I like to have good info to share here. I have seen a lot of abuse of many things at WDW. And this is my issue...those that are abusing the system. Not those that are entitled. Just because you may not have seen these same abuses doesn't mean they haven't happened!
I have complete empathy for those who need ECVs...I can't begin to imagine how you deal with every day life. But, there are rude people everywhere. Just because someone is using an ECV doesn't give them permission to ignore those around them, and to expect everyone to move aside for them. Most are not like that. But...it's those that behave like that that give everyone on an ECV a bad name. And I'm sorry about that.

Believe me, I am not the person you need to worry about running into at WDW. In fact, I'll probably have your back. As I said, it's those abusing the system that I have an issue with. And no, I am not assuming that everyone using an ECV is abusing the system. I don't think my vacation time is more important than yours. I go so often, I'm not even in the parks more than a few hours a day!! I no longer go to parades due to the rudeness of guests. I now watch the fireworks from various areas. Are they great areas to watch from? No, but I don't have to worry about being pushed and shoved. That's my choice. With the increasing rudeness and lack of civility in the world, it's just not worth it to join the throngs anymore.

I hope I've corrected any misconceptions with my posts.

I fully realize what kind of issues you all have, and there have been times when I have said something to those making rude remarks.

Thank you. That is not the impression I have gotten from your posts. It is a really sensitive topic for those of us who have to use scooters or stay home because we face the abuse from able bodied guests constantly--on the bus, in lines, just traveling down the walkways at Disney. The comments, side eyes, people falling on us or cutting us off and then yelling at us for it happen every day and often multiple times a day. I am paranoid about people around me after trips where I have been physically harmed by other Disney guests because I was in their way, one of which required that I take pain medicine and return to the hotel after going to first aid for a bandage. (A guy lifted my scooter and dumped me off of it while I was trying to stand so they could get the stroller wheel out from under my scooter where they had jammed it while I was sitting still). I would love to be able to walk Disney. I would love to get away from the limitations using a scooter places on you, but I can't. The vast majority of us who use scooters can't but we are all faced with the accusations that we are fat, lazy, entitled, and ruining other people's vacations because of perceived special treatment.

Thank you. That is not the impression I have gotten from your posts. It is a really sensitive topic for those of us who have to use scooters or stay home because we face the abuse from able bodied guests constantly--on the bus, in lines, just traveling down the walkways at Disney. The comments, side eyes, people falling on us or cutting us off and then yelling at us for it happen every day and often multiple times a day. I am paranoid about people around me after trips where I have been physically harmed by other Disney guests because I was in their way, one of which required that I take pain medicine and return to the hotel after going to first aid for a bandage. (A guy lifted my scooter and dumped me off of it while I was trying to stand so they could get the stroller wheel out from under my scooter where they had jammed it while I was sitting still). I would love to be able to walk Disney. I would love to get away from the limitations using a scooter places on you, but I can't. The vast majority of us who use scooters can't but we are all faced with the accusations that we are fat, lazy, entitled, and ruining other people's vacations because of perceived special treatment.
I'm sorry you and others felt this way. I never assume or pretend to know why a person is using any assistance. It isn't anyone else's business. When my son used a wheelchair for his breathing and a remark was made it upset my husband that the next day he preferred hurting his own back by carrying around a 40+lbs kid versus using a wheelchair. He felt embarassed to use. I was upset that he gave it to one comment and should of done what was easier for my son and family for our vacation. Anyone using any devices should never be stared at or made to feel like a lesser person. How we act and raise our children effects future generations. I'm proud to say my 10 year old will go out of his way to hold doors open for elderly people and anyone who is using a assistant devices. My children don't judge, stare or ask them questions, so why are adults?

I'm sorry you and others felt this way. I never assume or pretend to know why a person is using any assistance. It isn't anyone else's business. When my son used a wheelchair for his breathing and a remark was made it upset my husband that the next day he preferred hurting his own back by carrying around a 40+lbs kid versus using a wheelchair. He felt embarassed to use. I was upset that he gave it to one comment and should of done what was easier for my son and family for our vacation. Anyone using any devices should never be stared at or made to feel like a lesser person. How we act and raise our children effects future generations. I'm proud to say my 10 year old will go out of his way to hold doors open for elderly people and anyone who is using a assistant devices. My children don't judge, stare or ask them questions, so why are adults?
It really can be horrible. I feel like I get the Game Of Thrones “Shame” stare sometimes when I’m using my ECV. My disability is not visibly apparent. Be proud of those children...I was raised that way and have raised mine the same. I’m not saying I am not bothered by those who take advantage of the system...of course I am. They have somehow become representative of all of those using ECV assistance, and that is truly unfortunate. The benefit of the doubt truly does go a long way, and I think more understanding helps us all in the long run:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter