Lost DVC points

I just read a report from someone with a June UY that they had 2019 UY points that were automatically banked into 2020 today,

So, there could be an official update coming. I’d say check your accounts.
Mine still show in 2019 with inability to bank, but my borrowed points from the same reservation are now showing back in 2020. Yay on that. I'll hold off for a couple days and see if they announce anything before calling again about the 2019 points.

Right now, Disney is bending the rules for borrowed points. They are putting them back,

So, you can call and have them restored,
I hope you're right but I received an email contrary to that. It said I could use my point between now and July 2020 (my use year ends in July) - like that is feasible given what is happening. My dashboard will not allow me to bank the points in the next use year. Disney's email recommended I put the point into RCI (paying a fee of course). I joined DVC to go to Disney not some RCI location. I think Disney is making a huge mistake. I will have to cancel a trip as a result and one week in Disney costs $$$$s as you all well know.

I just asked to be able to bank 4 points from 2019 to 2020 and was told to pound sand.

Our cancelled trip was on 3/21, so we definitely didn't have any choice in the matter. We have an April UY, so it's literally impossible to use the points.

ETA: I know I'm very lucky it's just 4 points!

Last edited:

I hope you're right but I received an email contrary to that. It said I could use my point between now and July 2020 (my use year ends in July) - like that is feasible given what is happening. My dashboard will not allow me to bank the points in the next use year. Disney's email recommended I put the point into RCI (paying a fee of course). I joined DVC to go to Disney not some RCI location. I think Disney is making a huge mistake. I will have to cancel a trip as a result and one week in Disney costs $$$$s as you all well know.

When is the trip you have schedule? Borrowed points are being returned for those with March and it seems, April trips because the closure will include thst

If your trip is May and beyond, then so far, it’s too far out.

Its not Disney making the decision. DVCM has an obligation to all owners to make sure that whatever decisions are made are in the best interest of the membership as a whole,

Allowing banking beyond the deadline, or allowing banked points to be banked a 2nd time may not be possible. The website keeps us up to date.

If you have an Aug UY, your 2019 UY points are still bankable. If they are banked 2018 UY points those will expire. If you have borrowed points from a March or early April reservation,, those should be moved back to Aug 2020.

I am gambling on a May trip and not yet canceling so I know that if rules Are kept the same, I have 168 points that will be use or lose by July 31st.

I'm leaving my May vacation ride - if DVC is closed how can they not returned my borrowed points to the UY they're from?

I'm leaving my May vacation ride - if DVC is closed how can they not returned my borrowed points to the UY they're from?

There is nothing that Requires them to bend the rules for closures, So, closed or not, rules can be kept in place.

But, so far, they are allowing it and I will assume that if the resort is closed, now that they opened the doors, that change of the rule would continue

I have a feeling, though, since people are being told to deposit points now into RCI, it may be a sign that banking rules won’t be changed, and it could also mean the rules for borrowed points will end too.

Again, it may not be the solution people want to hear. We just all have to wait and see what they decide.

Last edited:
Governor DeSantis stated today that all rentals for the next two weeks should be cancelled. People arriving from Louisiana should self-quarantine for 14 days upon arrival and not with relatives in the state.

When is the trip you have schedule? Borrowed points are being returned for those with March and it seems, April trips because the closure will include thst

If your trip is May and beyond, then so far, it’s too far out.

Its not Disney making the decision. DVCM has an obligation to all owners to make sure that whatever decisions are made are in the best interest of the membership as a whole,

Allowing banking beyond the deadline, or allowing banked points to be banked a 2nd time may not be possible. The website keeps us up to date.

If you have an Aug UY, your 2019 UY points are still bankable. If they are banked 2018 UY points those will expire. If you have borrowed points from a March or early April reservation,, those should be moved back to Aug 2020.

I am gambling on a May trip and not yet canceling so I know that if rules Are kept the same, I have 168 points that will be use or lose by July 31st.

No one can convince me that DVCM is doing this out of "an obligation to all owners". The points I am losing is difference between a one and two bedroom - which means I have to tell three children they lost their room at Disney in the "interest of the membership as a whole." All I want is to use the points nine months later for a tripped planned for over 2 years. You think Disney would welcome the business.

If you're trying to tell me that DVCM thinks their resorts are going to be busting at the seems once this crisis is over you've got to be kidding. With all the people losing their jobs and the lingering effects of international travel restrictions and stigma there will be rampant vacancies. Of course DVCM will never offer deals to its members but watch how they willingly rent out the empty rooms they create at discount prices to non-members - pocketing our dues in the process.

It does clearly point out that too many people roll over and accept this type of treatment from DVCM. When word of Disney taking points from its members due to a world pandemic the value of the membership/ownership will be tarnished forever. And it will get out.

No one can convince me that DVCM is doing this out of "an obligation to all owners". The points I am losing is difference between a one and two bedroom - which means I have to tell three children they lost their room at Disney in the "interest of the membership as a whole." All I want is to use the points nine months later for a tripped planned for over 2 years. You think Disney would welcome the business.

If you're trying to tell me that DVCM thinks their resorts are going to be busting at the seems once this crisis is over you've got to be kidding. With all the people losing their jobs and the lingering effects of international travel restrictions and stigma there will be rampant vacancies. Of course DVCM will never offer deals to its members but watch how they willingly rent out the empty rooms they create at discount prices to non-members - pocketing our dues in the process.

It does clearly point out that too many people roll over and accept this type of treatment from DVCM. When word of Disney taking points from its members due to a world pandemic the value of the membership/ownership will be tarnished forever. And it will get out.

Disney, the company, has nothing to do with this. They are not involved in the decisions.

We are owners of real estate that is governed by Timeshare laws in the state of Florida.

DVCM is simply the management company that you, and I, and all owners agreed to be in charge of overseeing our timeshare,

They are bound to act by the terms of the POS, and any adjustments must be in line with that and the law,

We can be upset and disappointed that this happened, but those of us who, as you put it, “are just rolling over” are in fact, showing thst we have a strong understanding of what we signed up for, including the limitations and risks involved in being an owner,

So, yes, as an owner, I want them to do what they can to support as many owners as they can to limit the losses. But I also want them to do what I pay them to do and that is to make the decisions necessary to prevent what looks like a 10 week closure in crippling the system moving forward,

I am very sorry you are upset and I really hope things work out for you, But to be honest, anyone considering DVC who is turned off by this situation is not a good fit to be a timeshare owner.

But to be honest, anyone considering DVC who is turned off by this situation is not a good fit to be a timeshare owner.

Exactly the attitude DVCM hopes we will take,,,,

Yes Sir may I have another!

The way I look at it, at least I think, is the phrasing "ownership interest in real estate" or something like that that keeps cropping up when they try to sell me more points. Ownership in real estate has risks, and not being able to use your real estate interest because the entire world is fighting a global pandemic is one of those risks. We are "owners" not "renters" so as "owners" the brunt of the loss falls on us. That's how ownership works. It seems like some want the benefits of ownership but none of the responsibility.

I do agree, however, that the distribution of the loss is not equitable across the membership (many members are not affected at all). I would be okay with a 'point haircut' where all members lose some percentage of their points to cover the pandemic losses. I don't know if they can legally do that though.

But to be honest, anyone considering DVC who is turned off by this situation is not a good fit to be a timeshare owner.

Exactly the attitude DVCM hopes we will take,,,,

Yes Sir may I have another!

That is my advice and opinion to prospective buyers. You are free to have a different opinion but please don’t insult those of us that do.

Last edited:
The way I look at it, at least I think, is the phrasing "ownership interest in real estate" or something like that that keeps cropping up when they try to sell me more points. Ownership in real estate has risks, and not being able to use your real estate interest because the entire world is fighting a global pandemic is one of those risks. We are "owners" not "renters" so as "owners" the brunt of the loss falls on us. That's how ownership works. It seems like some want the benefits of ownership but none of the responsibility.

I do agree, however, that the distribution of the loss is not equitable across the membership (many members are not affected at all). I would be okay with a 'point haircut' where all members lose some percentage of their points to cover the pandemic losses. I don't know if they can legally do that though.

They cant, but what has been mentioned is the creation of a 7 months point chart for non home resort bookings.

If those were increased, it would help to absorb points that DVCM could move into the system...those expiring...and then be felt by all owners who decided to stay at places other than their home resort,

I really like that option if the goal is to not let any owner lose the use of their points.

I wish I could “like” this post 1000 times.

anyone considering DVC who is turned off by this situation is not a good fit to be a timeshare owner.
I'd phrase it a bit more softly, but I agree.

We own two floating 2BR oceanfront weeks at Kauai Beach Villas. We got a note a few days ago that heavy rains flooded the first floors of five of the eight buildings. This is going to require extensive remediation. Hawaii does not have a shelter-in-place order yet, and there are only 13 known cases on Kauai, but that could change, which will make any remediation work much harder to complete.

Much of 2020 is already booked, and folks will want to use their 2021 weeks too, so it's not just as simple as "use it another time," because there are no other times. You can't deposit it, because there is nothing to deposit. There may be something the HOA can do for owners who were booked during that time--many of which may not have wanted to go to Hawaii anyway, because there is a 14-day quarantine for any non-residents arriving from the mainland.

We've booked our two 2020 weeks for the last two weeks of December. Remediation is probably done by then, but it's not clear that we'll be able (or want) to travel, depending on how the virus situation unfolds. So, we might not get to use our 2020 weeks. Maybe we can deposit to RCI and salvage something out of it, but it's certainly not the best value. But, that's the deal with owning: in exchange for lower vacation costs, we take on some of the risks.

I'd phrase it a bit more softly, but I agree.

We own two floating 2BR oceanfront weeks at Kauai Beach Villas. We got a note a few days ago that heavy rains flooded the first floors of five of the eight buildings. This is going to require extensive remediation. Hawaii does not have a shelter-in-place order yet, and there are only 13 known cases on Kauai, but that could change, which will make any remediation work much harder to complete.

Much of 2020 is already booked, and folks will want to use their 2021 weeks too, so it's not just as simple as "use it another time," because there are no other times. You can't deposit it, because there is nothing to deposit. There may be something the HOA can do for owners who were booked during that time--many of which may not have wanted to go to Hawaii anyway, because there is a 14-day quarantine for any non-residents arriving from the mainland.

We've booked our two 2020 weeks for the last two weeks of December. Remediation is probably done by then, but it's not clear that we'll be able (or want) to travel, depending on how the virus situation unfolds. So, we might not get to use our 2020 weeks. Maybe we can deposit to RCI and salvage something out of it, but it's certainly not the best value. But, that's the deal with owning: in exchange for lower vacation costs, we take on some of the risks.

View attachment 485470
I’ve stayed at KBV in one of the ocean front villas, with one of the most beautiful views I’ve enjoyed in Hawaii. Makes me sad to see the damage. I’m sorry your 2020 weeks will probably be lost. Hope you aren’t hit with a huge special assessment for repairs.

People are comparing this to fixed weeks and flexible weeks. That’s not what I bought into. I bought into a much more flexible system that allows banking and borrowing across several years.

To make rule changes that allow everyone affected to bank their points, EXCEPT April & June use years is absurd.

This would be a double hit. First by losing points for reservations that were canceled, and then taking another hit when they figure out what to do about the imbalance caused by changing the rules for EVERY OTHER use year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter