Lost DVC points

Our family group of 12 has been planning our upcoming end of May trip for well over 2 years. We banked 2018 points to add to our 2019 points, and then borrowed some 2020 points in order to have enough for our multiple rooms. We have 3 contracts with Aug, Sept, Oct UY. I'm really worried that this trip is not going to happen, and worse yet, is that we will lose our banked & borrowed points, and by the time we find out if we need to cancel, we will be past at least one banking deadline.

If we don't make this trip, it will take 2 years to build up the points again. Meanwhile, we're paying our annual dues for points that we couldn't use. I somewhat see the reasoning why banked points can't be given out to a different UY, but I don't understand why borrowed points can not go back to their original UY. After all, if I wouldn't have borrowed them to begin with, then they would still be there for me to use. While I think it's great that they aren't putting points in to holding status, I think DVC, and Disney, could be a little more understanding about all of this, and be more agreeing to bend the rules a little in order to get their loyal customers back in to the parks sooner rather than later.

My issue is- yes technically we borrowed the points for a June trip- but actually they haven't really done anything have they? Literally nothing~ so what is the problem with no longer borrowing them?

Our family group of 12 has been planning our upcoming end of May trip for well over 2 years. We banked 2018 points to add to our 2019 points, and then borrowed some 2020 points in order to have enough for our multiple rooms. We have 3 contracts with Aug, Sept, Oct UY. I'm really worried that this trip is not going to happen, and worse yet, is that we will lose our banked & borrowed points, and by the time we find out if we need to cancel, we will be past at least one banking deadline.

If we don't make this trip, it will take 2 years to build up the points again. Meanwhile, we're paying our annual dues for points that we couldn't use. I somewhat see the reasoning why banked points can't be given out to a different UY, but I don't understand why borrowed points can not go back to their original UY. After all, if I wouldn't have borrowed them to begin with, then they would still be there for me to use. While I think it's great that they aren't putting points in to holding status, I think DVC, and Disney, could be a little more understanding about all of this, and be more agreeing to bend the rules a little in order to get their loyal customers back in to the parks sooner rather than later.
100% agree with you. And I repeat....they did it for people a few days ago and just stopped!!! Ridiculous!!

My issue is- yes technically we borrowed the points for a June trip- but actually they haven't really done anything have they? Literally nothing~ so what is the problem with no longer borrowing them?

My only thought...again, just thinking out loud..is that the entire banking and borrowing system is based on most likely, statistical models on what typically happens, and that is now they know things work out okay,

If all of a sudden this closure lasts longer than just 2 weeks, you are going to now skew that system.

I suspect that is why our contract allows for them to suspend those practices in cases where things do get out of whack,

The thinking could be to mitigate that from now, Of course, thst doesn’t mean they aren’t talking behind the scenes and find out what they can do within the legal limits of timeshare laws.

I hope they are talking behind the scenes to see how they can help member, Sandi :thumbsup2

They can compensate us for those lost banked points in other ways without compromising the inventory system. I'm advocating that they include us with the other incentives they will open to the general public to get them back into the parks like free tickets, meal plans, etc. We DVC members never get those considerations because they have us locked in. But hey we get to go swim at the Saratoga Springs pool and get a 10% discount at never-heard-of-it restaurant! Not doing this while we paid taxes and fees on those points is wrong. Sorry I'm fired up I'm losing over 270 banked points.
We never get the promos because we aren't cash customers paying rack rate for rooms. If you think that is a better deal, rent out your points and book a cash room with promos.

Someone has to pay for them, in the case of DVC, it would be our dues or DVC Marketing. And marketing is unlikely to do so, even as a perk for direct purchasers.

We never get the promos because we aren't cash customers paying rack rate for rooms. If you think that is a better deal, rent out your points and book a cash room with promos.

Someone has to pay for them, in the case of DVC, it would be our dues or DVC Marketing. And marketing is unlikely to do so, even as a perk for direct purchasers.
I get that but from a wider economic impact there is still huge benefits to them. Plus their reaction to this might dissuade people from wanting to invest in this program in the future. I certainly wouldn't be recommending people buying into this right now and last I checked they are building new DVC resorts and need "butts in seats". People will be watching on how they are treating members during this crisis and they better be considering that.

"Rent out your points" may not be so easy anymore. Expect to see some brokers going under. Rental prices may drop as well.

We never seriously considered renting our points out. I expect we will always consider ourselves not having enough points rather than having excess points TO rent.

But after all of the issues renters are having right now, I'd have to be in a really tough spot (i.e., points expiring with NO hope to use them), to even remotely consider renting them out. Even though it seems that the owner is the most protected party for a rental transaction, I think I'd rather just gift a reservation to a friend or relative rather than dealing with the possible issues that could arise.

Likely to be a moot point anyway, because I still seriously doubt we're likely to have excess, expiring points.

its Really inexpensive to run a closed resort. Those savings should be split among the people who lose points because the resort is closed.

Would not be fair to pass those savings along to people who weren’t affected.

its Really inexpensive to run a closed resort. Those savings should be split among the people who lose points because the resort is closed.

Would not be fair to pass those savings along to people who weren’t affected.
Not sure they can do that legally. Dues do not pay for resort services for your specific reservation dates, which may be higher or lower at the time of your trip depending upon resort occupancy. If anything, everyone may see a dues credit next year for transportation, since parked busses and monorails don't need a lot of ongoing maintenance or fuel/electricity, but right now, Disney is still paying all employees during the shutdown, so labor and resort running costs won't be affected in the short term.

We understand that we don't get the promos that cash customers get when booking rooms, however, in this situation, we should at least be able to have the same cancellation rules that those cash customers have. They cancel. they get full refunds. If we're forced to cancel, through no fault of ours, we don't get a full "refund". We lose points that we've already paid a great deal of money for, and in the case of borrowed points, we will be paying for them come January 2021.

My only thought...again, just thinking out loud..is that the entire banking and borrowing system is based on most likely, statistical models on what typically happens, and that is now they know things work out okay,

If all of a sudden this closure lasts longer than just 2 weeks, you are going to now skew that system.

I suspect that is why our contract allows for them to suspend those practices in cases where things do get out of whack,

The thinking could be to mitigate that from now, Of course, thst doesn’t mean they aren’t talking behind the scenes and find out what they can do within the legal limits of timeshare laws.
Except that borrowing doesn't have to be approved~ they don't consider whether or not I'm allowed to borrow, do they? So we may not have and they would be there and it wouldn't hurt anyone. I don't see how returning them to my account should be an issue. They were borrowed for two months, not even used...
I'm just not seeing the issue in general- I suppose they may have lots of people borrowing and returning etc., but in this situation - IF the hotel is closed how on earth could they take our points AND not allow us to use them? It is highly unlikely that we could all travel later in the summer ( 2 adults, five "kids" ( ages 15-25) with work and college schedules). Our use year ends in August.

Is this correct that now we can return borrowed points? Trying to keep up with all of these threads....??

Except that borrowing doesn't have to be approved~ they don't consider whether or not I'm allowed to borrow, do they? So we may not have and they would be there and it wouldn't hurt anyone. I don't see how returning them to my account should be an issue. They were borrowed for two months, not even used...
I'm just not seeing the issue in general- I suppose they may have lots of people borrowing and returning etc., but in this situation - IF the hotel is closed how on earth could they take our points AND not allow us to use them? It is highly unlikely that we could all travel later in the summer ( 2 adults, five "kids" ( ages 15-25) with work and college schedules). Our use year ends in August.

No, you don’t need to be approved, but they have a really good idea of how things work. It is like the airlines and overselling. They have a really good idea about when to do that and what will happen, it’s all based on statistics .

Borrowed points being returned, unless they expire during a resort closure, are still usable whether or not the owner can actual travel,
i
The good news is it seems they have decided to allow borrowed points to go back, at least for today.

No, you don’t need to be approved, but they have a really good idea of how things work. It is like the airlines and overselling. They have a really good idea about when to do that and what will happen, it’s all based on statistics .

Borrowed points being returned, unless they expire during a resort closure, are still usable whether or not the owner can actual travel,
i
The good news is it seems they have decided to allow borrowed points to go back, at least for today.
Wait...what???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter