Looks like Disney thinks there will be light crowds this summer

We're heading down right before the Star Wars madness ensues (8/17-8/24), and I'm still struggling to get some of the ADR's I truly want! I agree, all of the crowd calendars are adjusting their forecasts relative to the masses they are all predicting when GE opens....

Could it be Disney is expecting a slight hit because a very large number of families have been hit by a shrinking or disappearing tax return. I'm sure a large number of families in this country use their tax return to vacation. Whether it is at WDW or elsewhere.

VERY limited to what resorts and was for one free quick service meal per day, meh, its like getting a meal at McDonalds, crap deal if you ask me, looks like they are trying to close out what inventory is left, so dont bet on those "light crowds"..................
The AP discount was very generous on deluxe & villas. I didn’t price the others. I’m only worried the deals are good enough that low crowds won’t remain. But, I know that’s what wdw is banking on.

We added a summer trip July 16-23 using the AP discounted rooms. Looking at the Touring Plans crowd calendars, they have crowds at a 5 or 6 most days we are there. Even with a trip we decided to add just yesterday, we were also able to get all of the ADRs we wanted except for Chef Mickey's. We are used to Spring Break and Fall crowds so these crowds should be pretty manageable, I think.
That’s us. We are there 7/15-7/22. We booked late & got everything we wanted. I just dropped a Chef Mickey btw for 7/18.

I'm going July 8-15 and I was able just last week to switch around some ADRs for a party of 13. I'm feeling pretty optimistic.

I went for a quick trip last July and I was pleasantly surprised by the crowds. It was the best trip I took last year crowd-wise between January/Feb, August, and November. High hopes!

What I'm really nervous about is crowds in the months after SWGE opens. I have a trip planned for Thanksgiving week (which I know and expect to be nuts) but we'd also like to go at the beginning of March and next June/July. I'm really hoping the discounts will continue next year as they have in previous years and SWGE doesn't throw things totally out of whack.

I really hope that the crowds are at most medium-level... you know? I went the second week in December 2017 and those crowds were totally bearable. This time I am going the week before Star Wars opens (15th-22nd) and I am praying that it is not overwhelmingly busy. The heat is already a struggle! I don't need large crowds too! lol

I had to move my April vacation to June due to my child getting sick. After I changed it a new deal popped up (maybe just two days ago), up to 25% discount on room only reservations plus a gift card that depended on resort level and amount of nights. We are staying at Pop and I was able to get a $206 total discount and will get a $70 gift card ($10 per night for Value resorts). I had already purchased tickets on UT before the date based pricing went into affect. We are going 6/20 - 6/27. I expect it to be busy, but hopefully not completely out of control. Crowd calendars are showing 6 to 8, I am hoping for a lot of 6's. :teeth:

I haven't been in the summer since June of 2000. So I don't really have a true comparison to make. The rest of our trips have been done on spring break in March...usually the third week, and crowds weren't bad at all. I'm hearing from several DISers who visit in June regularly and the week I'll be there with my son, that the first week is very doable. The rain hasn't really set in and most kids are still in school. Yes it's warm, but not near the temps we see in July here in FL. I'm not worried about the heat, I know how to battle it successfully considering how long I've lived here in FL! :hyper:

I already had two nights room only at the Polynesian in July. Do you think they will add the gift card deal?

It's making me think crazy thoughts about booking an unplanned summer trip! I'm a teacher, so the kids and I are off all summer. We could take the time to drive down, so no flight costs. And with only 4 of us we could fit in a Value room. I think the total cost would be about half what we usually spend. But we'd have to go without DH, and I don't think he'd like that.

Teacher here also! :cool1: I picked June to travel this year instead of spring break because this trip is a congratulations to my son for making it to 6th grade! Some people said, you knew he was going to middle school back in June of last year??(Obviously, he's in 5th right now) Uh yeah...my child doesn't fail..that's NOT an option. I had the trip in my head June of 2018, but didn't start to plan till December of 2018. I booked our room in January when the FL resident rates came out. Originally I did June 9-13, but realized we have something else we're committed to that Sunday the 9th and can't travel for two days. So I bumped us a week earlier instead of a week later thinking it's better to go right when he gets out of school considering many other schools will still be in session. My son is done on May 31st. My kids in the district I teach in are done on the 24th. I finish on the 28th. My husband told me 4 years ago, when that trip to Disney wasn't as successful as I'd hoped :sad1: that perhaps I should travel with a girlfriend who enjoys Disney as much as I do, or with our son when he's a bit older and not as "scared" or apprehensive about certain things. I asked that he would be okay with just me and the son going...he said, yep. So I compromised. We have some long time friends that we met when hubby was in the military who live in Lakeland FL now. They are an hour from Disney. I told hubby I would contact them and spend a couple of days with them while down there. He trusts both the husband and wife so I knew that would be a plus for all of us. :D Hubby was considering going, but right before I purchased our tickets in March, I asked should I purchase one for him and add him to the resort ressie. He said, unfortunately, he needs to stay behind and handle things at that poo poo job of his. :sad2: He's looking to get out and he needs to do everything possible to do that. 5 days away on vacation would make that more difficult considering what's been going on the last few years. So I said ALL that...to mention this to you.... :rotfl2::rotfl2:

My husband is VERY particular about me and our son and what goes on in our life. Although I'm perfectly capable of driving the 6 hours to Disney on my own, he just would prefer to be there as far as protection and safety goes. However, he can't be, but that doesn't mean he won't allow son and I to go on our own. He's already said that is okay. I have a cell phone...I'm travelling on Sunday morning instead of Saturday night and since we've done the route before to Disney, I'm comfortable with the drive and it being a safe route. If I remember correctly, if my tank is filled before we leave, I should haven't to fill it again until we reach Disney! :dancer: If your husband trusts you and loves you and understands your love for Disney, I can't see it being a problem with just you and the kids going! :thumbsup2 Good luck no matter what you decide!! :hug:

It's making me think crazy thoughts about booking an unplanned summer trip! I'm a teacher, so the kids and I are off all summer. We could take the time to drive down, so no flight costs. And with only 4 of us we could fit in a Value room. I think the total cost would be about half what we usually spend. But we'd have to go without DH, and I don't think he'd like that.
I fly rather than drive but I highly recommend trips without DH.
Don't get me wrong, I adore when we go together, most of our trips are just he and I
But I've gone 3 times now without him, once with DD, DGD and my mom, once with DGD and another just a girlfriend and I went. All of those trips were so fun. Different but really fun.
DGD and I leave 2 days before DH when we go down next month. We leave the 23rd, day after she gets out of school
So I'd say go for it, I love our early summer trip, more than the ones we've done in later summer.

I already had two nights room only at the Polynesian in July. Do you think they will add the gift card deal?
Easiest thing to do, if the link works for you
Go to your reservation on MDE, click the Change button, go the the promo and click change and see if you can get the room you have and just change the promotion. It will let you check out and make the switch right there on MDE, if it's available.
If it's not, you can still call and ask. Sometimes they are able to make the switch when online it doesn't show. Wouldn't hurt to check for sure

Just got a summer pin code today. Can’t use it. Lol. We go in May. Only not until 2021. Doing DLR in between

:shamrock:Crazy cheap rates for August right now. I saw an Animal Kingdom Standard view for 249 for AP! Plus the new DP deal for Disney Visa holders. If we weren’t booked DVC for September I would move our dates.

The free QS meal did not add any extra cost to what the room only deal was two weeks ago and since my boys eat QS it was a win for me. The upgrade options on the other hand were not a good investment.
Don't let "opinions" about QS bother you, if you got it added free on top of your room discount then it is a good deal. We absolutely have no issues with QS and a lot of time prefer it. I am not a believer in the FD discount and much rather use a RO discount.

I haven't been in the summer since June of 2000. So I don't really have a true comparison to make. The rest of our trips have been done on spring break in March...usually the third week, and crowds weren't bad at all. I'm hearing from several DISers who visit in June regularly and the week I'll be there with my son, that the first week is very doable. The rain hasn't really set in and most kids are still in school. Yes it's warm, but not near the temps we see in July here in FL. I'm not worried about the heat, I know how to battle it successfully considering how long I've lived here in FL! :hyper:
FYI; a lot of Florida schools are done by the end of May this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter