Long Island Disers!

For those living in Suffolk County or even if you work, visit or shop here

What does everyone think of the 5 cent tax on plastic bags that goes into effect in January?

We use reusable bags for grocery shopping but I also use some of the plastic bags we get for lining the bathroom waste cans.

I have been reading on Newsday some of the comments.

Looks like I am going to start hoarding all the plastic bags we get so I can have a supply come January.

While the bill looks well intentioned I think some issues with it need to be looked at more or addressed.

I believe we have until 2018 until it becomes an issue. And it's for all bags- plastic and paper.

I think things like this have good intentions, but they never really work. And I hate the idea that the store gets to keep the 5 cents. I live in Massapequa - so I'm just over the border from Suffolk. I guess there will be some people who will shop in Nassau. I shop in the Amityville Stop & Shop sometimes, so I guess I'll have to remember to bring my reusable bags. Or start shopping in the Massapequa Stop & Shop instead. And it's just for grocery shopping - so there will still be plastic bags floating around.

I just read this:

"Suffolk lawmakers passed a bill Wednesday that will charge customers a 5-cent fee for every plastic or paper bag they use at store checkouts.
The 5-cent bag fee will apply to grocery stores as well as convenience stores, delis, bagel shops and clothing stores in some cases."

I just read this:

"Suffolk lawmakers passed a bill Wednesday that will charge customers a 5-cent fee for every plastic or paper bag they use at store checkouts.
The 5-cent bag fee will apply to grocery stores as well as convenience stores, delis, bagel shops and clothing stores in some cases."
Oh ok I see. Nice avatar by the way!

How is everyone enjoying the fall so far?

Reading about the boy from Shoreham, so sad, not to mention the kids in Brentwood.

Need to make our annual trip to Windy Acres Farms sometime when life is not in the way. Ds2 and his gf decided to go somewhere else and went apple picking upstate at Copper Ridge Farms.

Anyone going to Comic Con?? Ds2 and his gf are going. He is going to be Ash from Pokemon and she is going to be Pikachu.

Anyones town dealing with this heroin epidemic? Just last night ds3 went to pick up a pizza after work. He had his nursing scrubs on. He said he ordered it but then drove away to get some ice cream. When he got back to the pizza place the guy said to him - well you are too late. He said - for what? The guy said the ambulance was here and took a girl away. She said she hit her head but I know she was od'ing on heroin. wth??? Ds asked him if they were giving her cpr and the guy said yes. Ds already is always dealing with this stuff at the hosp.

We are heading to the Food and Wine festival on the 17th - 22nd. Ds3 is coming with us. He needs a vacation with all he deals with at work. Ds2 said I had a rough day at work yest, ds3 in the always matter of fact way says well I had a patient die and I had to bag a body, gheesh. Disney is sounding really good at this point.

And in other news if you see a nice smashed up rear van, yup thats us. We are still dealing with the most horrible 3 insurance companies the driver had, which seems to be the constant run around. We get no where with these people, just stories and lies. We just filled out some form, they did send an adjuster once but the other company said it was a mistake and the other company said they dropped him. All 3 companies are related so this never goes anywhere, sigh.

Check in when you can.

And in other news if you see a nice smashed up rear van, yup thats us. We are still dealing with the most horrible 3 insurance companies the driver had, which seems to be the constant run around. We get no where with these people, just stories and lies. We just filled out some form, they did send an adjuster once but the other company said it was a mistake and the other company said they dropped him. All 3 companies are related so this never goes
That sound really annoying. We went through our insurance when DH got hit. Geico is going after the other insurance to get our deductible back. Hopefully we will get it back soon.

Is everybody keeping an eye on Matthew? I'm going to pick up some stuff tomorrow - bottled water, canned goods, etc. - just in case. I'd rather be ready and then nothing happens then not be ready and something big happens.

Is everybody keeping an eye on Matthew? I'm going to pick up some stuff tomorrow - bottled water, canned goods, etc. - just in case. I'd rather be ready and then nothing happens then not be ready and something big happens.

DH looked at the projected path today and saw that it's path may have changed. So we might not get hit after all. Hope that's the case. Saturday is the only day we can go pumpkin picking and we always go to Harbe's Farm in Mattituck.

I hope it doesn't hit us. We're supposed to be going to a party on Saturday night in Manhattan. If it's nasty, I'm staying home.

Looking for Pet Sitter in Ronkonkoma area who can give injections for insulin twice a day. Tried boarding him on my last vacation but he was too stressed and would not eat. After being gone 2 days, we had to come home. He is 13 years old and was never boarded but stayed home and my sister took care of him. She is too faint at heart to do the injections so I need someone who is comfortable with doing this at 12 hour intervals with his feedings. My sister will stay with him overnight.

We are headed out on the Magic on the 15th out of NYC. I'm really hoping all of this nonsense has been put to bed so I can enjoy F&W on the 20th.

Looking for Pet Sitter in Ronkonkoma area who can give injections for insulin twice a day. Tried boarding him on my last vacation but he was too stressed and would not eat. After being gone 2 days, we had to come home. He is 13 years old and was never boarded but stayed home and my sister took care of him. She is too faint at heart to do the injections so I need someone who is comfortable with doing this at 12 hour intervals with his feedings. My sister will stay with him overnight.
Google pet sitters. There are a few that come to your house, maybe they could do this.

We are headed out on the Magic on the 15th out of NYC. I'm really hoping all of this nonsense has been put to bed so I can enjoy F&W on the 20th.
Have a great trip.

Anna - hope you had a great trip

Our trip to Food and Wine was good. Lots of good food for sure. Our view at the Yacht Cub was great and our split stay at the Swan was o.k. Dealing with a huge convention there was not the best. The weather was great and we swam twice too. Now time to start planning the december trip.

What does everyone think of the ruling today about the limo driver out east in the wine country where the girls were killed. I know the other driver was drunk but I think he, the limo driver, should bear some responsibility too. But they say the law is the law, how sad for those families. I dont think I would ever want to be on a jury with stuff like that involved.

Thanks, I had a great trip. We loved F&W. I'm glad you had a great trip too. How did you like Yacht Club? We are headed to Beach Club the first week of May for our 29th wedding anniversary. We spent our honeymoon at the Poly. Only one of two resorts available at the time :)

As for the ruling..... I hate when people get off because someone didn't do their job and did it wrong. Like you said the law is the law. The police were called to one of the girls houses today because the media was outside their home. It's awful for these families

The ShopRite in Massapequa has opened! I'm going to be checking it out this weekend.

Anyone know what happened to the one that was suppose to open in Ronkonkoma in the old Waldaums

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! Hope you all have a wonderful holiday.

In the annual turkey quest for the Shady Brook Farms fresh turkey which always is an adventure. I found out Stop and Shop does not carry them, Best Yet had them for $2.29 lb and King Kullen hdad them for 1.69. I idnt check out Shop Rite. So we went to King Kullen and dh saw one turkey there without a tag. He went to the butcher and asked. He saw so many turkeys in the back and the butcher said they are all reserved??? O.K. I really didnt know you could reserve a turkey., lesson learned. But the butcher weighed it and it was about what we needed, its only us 5 and ds2 gf. They said no more were coming in on the trucks, so we got the last unreserved one yest. around noon. Glad we stopped after church.

Going to Disney World Dec. 12-17. I hope the weather is good.

Check in when you can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter