Like the Phoenix, out of the ashes arises THE NEWEST WL FAQ! (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I say that they weren't allowed to post their photos?

A reminder of the posts that I am talking about....

Would it be appropriate for some of us to post our family pictures with the box as a memorial tribute?

Your response...

Let me think about that one for a few ok? If I do say we should, the only thing I will insist on is the pictures get put on my website.

You specifically say that you 'insist' the pictures be put on your website, seems a little power hungry to me.

As for the magic, we all feel the magic, that's why we continue to go year after year. BUT you are the same group feeling this magic who are now acting like somebody committed a huge wrong against you for removing the memory box. When in reality, you have to know that you really had no business putting it there in the first place, whether it was a person an animal or a member of the Disney cleaning crew who took off with it, you don't know, you just assume it must have been something sinister. I'm sorry that not everybody is going to feel your great loss over this box, but I think people are less annoyed with the box and more annoyed with the entitlement attitude of the few people who post on this thread.

You insulted a member of this community, maybe not a huge member of your community but a definite member of the DIS community, I'm not feeling the magic, sorry. People will surely not even bother to look at it from your point of view if every dissenting opinion is met with names and insults. Something to think about the next time you call a member of OUR community a troll.

Originally posted by Majestic
You make quite a few good points that I won't argue. Did I say that they weren't allowed to post their photos? Not really. I asked that they wait and you know what, out of respect, I think they decided to. Do I demand respect? Not really. I like all of the people I have been in touch with daily on the WL FAQ. I believe I have earned most peoples respect. Of course, anyone here can chime in and correct me if I am wrong. I have been wrong many times in the past and I am sure it will happen again. Of course, some may say I am tooting my own horn so to speak.

Yes, Disney didn't know about my box. Some cast members did and agreed that it was a cool idea. I only planned to make it a fun idea for us Lodgers. Then people started messaging me asking if it was just for us or if they could participate too. Who was I to say they couldn't?? Of course I let them and you know what???? I feel very pleased with the many stories I have read about people and families have posted and PMd to me about the hunt for the box. I feel that it enhanced the magic of the trip to the most magical place on earth. In no way did I intend to get anyone upset with the idea nor did I think that people would take offense to it. To those that did, in the interest of moving forward, I sincerely appologize.

I also didn't expect Disney to give anyone whether it was me or a group of, what did you call us..."zealots " permission to do anything what so ever on their property. I never asked nor did I plan to. Just wanted to make sure that was clear. Yeah we may love the lodge but to Disney, it's just business. The harsh reality.
Did I remember that it's just a business when I sat on the dock at the Poly watching Wishes with my 3 year old daughter for the first time? Nope. It's magical. That's the dream. That's why me and my family continue to go back time after time. To escape, even just for a little while, the harsh reality of life. We wear mickey ears and lanyards with pins that you probably wouldn't wear anywhere else in the world. We go to parades and cry as we watch our kids dance with Peter Pan and the gang. We video tape it all to watch it again and again so we can remember the magic. So, again, all I wanted to do was enhance the magic. My intentions were good. At least I think so.

As for why this thread isn't just a FAQ, well, we have always admitted that there is much more to this thread than just information. There is a family and friend like atomosphere that I must say I have yet to find elsewhere on the Internet. I am a Network Engineer and work on the Internet day in day out so I wouldn't give that kind of a title or grade so easily.

So, may I suggest to Kimmar since she has started this thread from the beginning, that this thread should no longer be called just a FAQ. Some people take the thread names to heart and expect everyone to stay absolutely on topic. Maybe if we called it the WL FAQ and Family or Home or something like that we would be able to stray off topic without the hard liners cracking down on us. Funny thing is I can't remember a time where someone really needed help and our friendly banter got in the way of answering the call.

We are more than a FAQ. We are friends. We are here for each other and nobody can change that. If the moderators were to close us down for not staying on topic, I would be impressed. Matter of fact, I am quite embarrassed that it was my memories box that brought this type of debate and discussion to the wilderness lodge thread in the first place. We made it this far without it. I hope that the next thread continues on with the tradition.

I believe that I have said all I have to say regarding this topic. Thanks for hearing me out.

Fred

This type of thing is one of the main reasons that I have decided to go on a break . I'm supposed to be on a break now, but I just couldn't resist a quick glance at the Dis.
I posted to the original WL FAQ, and was encouraged to add WL Vet to my signature after just one stay there. After some very mild pressure, I did add the WL Vet to my signature. Then I began to feel like a goofball, even after my second stay at WL. I liked the WL. I had stayed there a couple of times. So what?? I certainly was no expert. I took off the "WL Vet".

I would never, ever try to hide something in someone else's backyard for other people to try to find. How rude! You rent a room at the WL, you don't rent the grounds to bury <i>whatever</i>.

<b>If the moderators were to close us down for not staying on topic, I would be impressed. Matter of fact, I am quite embarrassed that it was my memories box that brought this type of debate and discussion to the wilderness lodge thread in the first place. </b>

The very idea that one could be both "impressed" and "embarrassed" with his antics, points out how absurd the antics are- even to the originator of the idea.

STOP THE INSANITY!

It's over! Move on! If you don't like our little thread , or the way we feel like friends and family, then just don't read it! Change the channel! We all have our opinions and I think everyone knows by now that there are a few of you "against the box". Okay..........so? Get over it people! Majestic isn't a criminal! Just a nice guy who had an idea......................
Imagine if all ideas were squashed because somebody didn't like them.:confused:

Originally posted by Tig-girl
STOP THE INSANITY!

It's over! Move on! If you don't like our little thread , or the way we feel like friends and family, then just don't read it! Change the channel! We all have our opinions and I think everyone knows by now that there are a few of you "against the box". Okay..........so? Get over it people! Majestic isn't a criminal! Just a nice guy who had an idea......................
Imagine if all ideas were squashed because somebody didn't like them.:confused:

There in lies the problem..this is not YOUR LITTLE THREAD! This a FAQ, do you know what the letters FAQ stand for? Just in case you don't, they mean Frequently Asked Questions. No where in there do I read "for a select few', do you? You are not ENTITLED to keep this thread to yourself, this is a message board, do you know what a message board is? It's a place where people go to talk and exchange ideas and thoughts. No where at the top of this board do I read Majestic's Resort Board or the WL resort board where only a select few can post, but as soon as I do, I'll be sure to stay out of 'your little thread'. Until then, I can post here and I'm afraid there's not much you can do to stop me or anybody else.

Oh my! I simply don't have energy for this type of nonsense. Apparently you haven't read our little thread from the beginning...........

Goodnight my friends! :wave:

Oh my! I simply don't have energy for this type of nonsense. Apparently you haven't read our little thread from the beginning...........

Goodnight my friends! :wave:

Our little thread? Apparently you didn't read my post at all.

Originally posted by DisneyDmbNut
Mods have been made aware...goodnight Tig and Fred!

Made aware of what? That not everybody agrees that this is 'your little thread'?

oh for pete's sake...despite everything, it seems as if the ultimate goal is to shut/shoot this thread down, so i guess it's been accomplished. brava!

i didn't have a dog in this hunt, but i did post a question, and now, despite protests to the contrary, it seems as if the same people who are claiming this is a faq and nothing but are determined to make it a debate thread. :) i've gone back, just to see what this is all about (the box, etc..), and it seems to me that there will be no winners in this one.

don't take this as a demand to answer only faq questions OR ELSE (ta ta DUM..) ...it's just that i keep coming back when i get an e-mail and i'm getting tired of my own loud "for pete's sake..." as i read through this..

STOP THE INSANITY!

I think everyone knows by now that there are a few of you "against the box". Okay..........so?

I'm sorry but that is just plain squirrelly. :hyper: So now there are "box haters"?

it's just that i keep coming back when i get an e-mail

You know you can shut that little feature off and it will save you the headache of receiving all of those e-mails.

BTW nobody wants to 'shut/shoot this thread down', some people just may find it odd that a thread titled 'FAQ' is only for, what, 10 people who think they own it?

Originally posted by caribbeanme
oh for pete's sake...despite everything, it seems as if the ultimate goal is to shut/shoot this thread down, so i guess it's been accomplished. brava!

Hi! I'm fairly certain that each thread is legally allowed a 150 page maximum, sometimes a few more.
Hopefully some of the WL Vets (i.e. experts) here will take the time to answer your questions. If not, a new WL thread will emerge shortly. Hopefully the Vets there will have the time to help you. Good luck to you! :D

i have yet to be to the wl, or see the box, but from reading the threads since i inadvertently stepped in, i see that some people, including the original poster, made objections to having a box on disney property, feeling that it perhaps defaced disney property, and that it could have posed a security risk. using tig's words, they were against the box, literally. some others who have been posting are against the treatment they felt the original poster got from some people in the original thread.

so, not all are necessarily "against the box," but certainly "box haters," which is a think a bit more loaded, wasn't what tig said....

thanks gymnasticsmom68 :) i went and found it. no wonder..i kept on getting e-mails, which would magically stop. my sister is the one who knows the ins and outs of these boards. AND PPL HAD SENT ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, who knew?! very helpful, thanks guys! but keep em comin', cuz i haven't been to disney in more than 12 yrs, and i'm super lost. did they even have concierge then?

also, gymnasticsmom, thanks for your thoughts...i see your point, but i actually came to the dis way back when i was figuring out where to stay, and it was the passion that ppl felt for their resorts, and the kinship that they had for each other that really helped me make my decision. while technically faq's, this, the yacht club's, the poly's, the swan, they all helped because they went off topic somewhat and had little things they shared together. and my faq questions were always answered and ppl really helped, despite the fact that they had such kinship with each other. that is to say, regardless of the fact that there are the same posters who seem to be very frequent, they always made space for newbies, including me. perhaps, as majestic said, it's misleading to call these threads faq's only, but i would really think the dis would be disserved if they were silenced.

between coming here and checking to see if i've gotten an answer or if i've gotten "flamed" yet :), i've gone back and accessed the original box threads, now closed.

what i saw were ppl who had invested a lot into putting something together that they never intended to be a negative thing. when the box was lost, they were saddened. perhaps they should have thought of the risks, perhaps they shouldn't have expected it to survive in perpetuity, but i actually think they never said they expected it to survive forever. i don't read them as demanding heads on a platter, or demanding an entitlement. those posts, some of them from ppl who had put pics of loved ones no longer with them, seemed like the collective sadness/disappointment of ppl who had seen something that had brought them some joy disappear. whether i agree with the box or not, i don't think anyone can say that their feelings are beyond the pale. i don't think you've said that, by the way...i just want to share my reading of those original posts.

into the fray stepped someone with a valid question over the propriety of placing something on disney property. i read the original dissenting post, and i can see how it may have come off as a bit aggressive, particularly given the context of the posts until then (ppl missing the box), and because the poster had some misinformation (painting the tree) which probably led the poster to be more aggressive with their post, and ppl to be more aggressive with the replies. under different circumstances, the question may have led to some interesting debate, and perhaps things would have turned out better. but, instead, posters built their trenches, including the original poster, and started shooting. nobody left this fight unsullied.

is there space to let this be? i mean, i read some of the wl vet's posts as saying that some ppl may disagree with the level of fervor they have for the wl, but that they have a right to a space to share too, even if does double duty as an faq. and, i mean, i've seen at least one apology about the box and what happened. i've also seen ppl at the wl faq deal with negative posts about the wl with poise and grace, and with really good suggestions about how to try and work the next trip or a future trip out to avoid some negative things.

i don't think they're necessarily saying, "join us, or hit the road". it may be more like, it's ok to be us and kinda loopy for our beloved resort, and to feel some slight ownership for putting together a very comprehensive thread.

ok, now i'm speaking for ppl. it's the mediator in me coming out. i need to go to sleep, i think.

thanks, dandave! you're a peach!

[edited because grammar is my friend, regardless of the time of night (or day..)..sleeeeep....:faint: ]

I came over here to ask the question, What is a WL Vet. I had thought it meant that you had stayed there at least once. I am a DVC'er with 50pts there, but am looking forward to my first stay there. Will that qualify me as a WL Vet, if not, what exactly is a WL vet. I see the Tags...

I have not read all 148 pages, but it seems to me that you might consider 2 threads when you move to a new thread. I would suggest maybe..

Official WL FAQ and friendly Gathering place (Part 4), and
WL Boxers-Round #4.

This really isn't the place for this discussion, and while I understand that some elements need to be here, I would urge you to start a new thread on the DB...
Is it OK for me to leave a refillable mug in a hole for my friends to find after I leave?

This argument has degenerated into a shouting match. This Is the Dis, It is a Happy Place. Let's be a little more friendly and drop the box talk...the OP wanted the thread stopped, so why can't we all let it rest a while.....

Sorry for the rant, but 3 solid pages of he-said,she-said when I am trying to ask a question on the FAQ thread is a bit much.

I hope my stay at VWL will be pleasant, can anybody recommend a good DVC room? too

Thanks,
:bounce:

Maybe a new FAQ should be created. I was trying to find some info on this thread but it is near impossible to do so. There is too much talk going on. The other FAQs are loaded with information.

Perhaps the WL Vets should start a family/friend thread over on the CB. That way the information wouldn't be lost in the banter.:D The Swan/Dolphin cheerleaders have a nice, long lasting thread over there. Just a thought.

Originally posted by Disney's Deluxe Princess
Maybe a new FAQ should be created. I was trying to find some info on this thread but it is near impossible to do so. There is too much talk going on. The other FAQs are loaded with information.

Perhaps the WL Vets should start a family/friend thread over on the CB. That way the information wouldn't be lost in the banter.:D The Swan/Dolphin cheerleaders have a nice, long lasting thread over there. Just a thought.

Given that the page limit to threads is 150 pages- we are almost at a point where a new thread will need to be created. You do have a good idea. I'm sorry that the info you needed has gotten lost in the banter.

Most of the basic info can be found on the first few pages of this thread.

Did you have any specific questions? I've only stayed at the Lodge once- just this past October- but I loved it. I'd be happy to try to answer any questions for you! ::yes::

Weather for today!

Current Temp in the World: 66*

Today: Windy with a few showers early then partly cloudy by the afternoon. High 72F. Winds WSW at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Tonight: Clear to partly cloudy. Low 49F. WNW winds at 15 to 25 mph, diminishing to 5 to 10 mph.

Tomorrow: Partly cloudy. High around 70F. Winds NNE at 5 to 10 mph.

Tomorrow night: A few clouds. Low 51F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph.

Tuesday: Scattered showers. Highs in the mid 60s and lows in the low 50s.

Zippadee Do Dah Tip for the Day:

Raining in the world?? Take the kids back to the Lodge for Movies in the Lobby while you enjoy the magesty of the Lobby and it's Music!

ohanafamily! I have stayed at the WL and VWL and love both! If you are staying in the Villas, do you prefer a high floor or first floor? The last time I stayed I checked in late and received the only studio LEFT.... a smoking room at the very end of the long, long, corridor on the 2nd floor. GOOD NEWS was I didn't ever feel I was staying in a smoking room and it was quiet! It was SO clean~ no smokey smell at all. When I walked back to the lodge I noticed some nice rooms facing the lodge and the quiet pool at the front of the villas building, very near the elevators. I don't have any room numbers to give you, but thought you could describe this location to the CM for noting on your reservation.

Thanks for the weather report DisneyDMBnut!

Happy Sunday all... LENT is almost here!::yes::

This thread has moved away from a resort faq thread into a general chat thread. I am posting to it and closing it.

Please feel free to start a new one - but please remember - according to the posting guidelines:
3. NO FIGHTING: Several Internet news groups are marred by the actions of a few selfish people who turn an otherwise positive forum into a soap box for their anger issues. Internet newsgroups are not moderated, and therefore, anything goes. These boards are moderated in an effort to keep the discussions appropriate to the topic at hand. Those who feel they can not abide by these rules are welcome to read the posts on the board, and respond via email to the person who posted the message. Messages that are argumentative or sarcastic in nature will be deleted without discussion.

4. NO PERSONAL MESSAGES: These boards are not for exchanging personal messages with friends. For that, we suggest you use email. These boards require an email address be entered prior to posting. If you have a personal comment for that person, please direct it to them via email. If the use of the boards for personal messages continues, those messages will be deleted. Remember, if the message is not intended for EVERYONE, it does not belong on the boards!

As I've mentioned in the past it would be best to keep this thread on topic for resorts. A general discussion/chat thread - as this always turns into - is more appropriate on the Community Board.

If the new thread turns into a general chat discussion like all past threads I will be asking the Webmasters for a decision on what board it really belongs on.

Thanks!

Here is a LINK to the new thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter