Lightning Pass and more Virtual Queues-How does it all affect you as a DVC Member?

My husband and I are long Disney fans; we were hooked as children when our parents, respectively, took us - though of course then it was the "once in a lifetime" trip. When we started dating, it was our first big vacation together, and we bought APs back then because we were going for 2 weeks, the longest tickets sold then were for 7 days, and APs were significantly less expensive than 2 7-day tickets. Which meant that we went back again, to really use those APs, and thus began our life-long love of Disney. He proposed to me there. We got married there.
What drew us was their ability to really create magic, to transport you to somewhere else, to immerse you in the story. Customer service was top-notch.

But over time, prices rose and rose and rose, far outpacing inflation. Things that were perks of staying onsite went away or became pay-to-play, such as evening hours. We still loved Disney, but the magic wasn't the same. We DID start to question if part of our love was nostalgia for how it was and all the good memories we had there.

Though we had always wanted to be DVC owners, we weren't for a long time, as financially it didn't make sense to us - for one, for a long time, we just couldn't afford it. But we did a few years ago hit our breaking point, where we realized the cost of tickets, food, and rising hotel prices was pricing us out of Disney.

That is in fact WHY we bought into DVC. The Gold APs and the savings over time of owning DVC -- plus we were in a much better financial place to buy into DVC -- would allow us to keep going, and we recognized that we WANTED to be able to keep going. We've done at least 30+ trips, so it's not just about the parks for us -- we enjoy resort stays. Walking the woods of Wilderness Lodge, playing rounds of mini golf with the kids, lounging in the pool, taking part in the arts & crafts activities at the resort, roasting marshmallows, etc. Part of this is because we don't want to spend time waiting in long lines, so we do visit the parks less frequently (though we always try to do at least one character meal per trip for character interactions) - we'd probably do it more frequently if the lines weren't so long.

But they even started to get rid of some of the extras in the parks that had us in the parks longer (and thus spending money in the parks). We were huge fans of the Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom game, and the pirate treasure in Adventureland. Our kids loved going on missions with Kim Possible and then Phineas and Ferb in Epcot. Honestly, we want MORE of these things - games we can plan, INTERACTION we can have with the park environment, on our own time with minimal wait, that we can pick up and put down as we desire, and play again and again. I was really hoping Disney would do more of that, rather than take it away.

With APs unavailable, long lines in the parks, no fireworks or shows or character interactions, and most resort activities not happening, we have elected to skip Disney again in 2021 (as we didn't go in 2020), and are planning instead to visiting "the original Wilderness Lodge" this summer (i.e., we're going to Yellowstone, Grand Teton and Craters of the Moon national parks, and staying a few nights at the Old Faithful Inn). We admittedly DO have Thanksgiving trip planned, and a big family & friends trip planned in February 2022, as we are hopeful that the 50th Anniversary will see the return of many of the things we love about Disney. For us, it's about the entire EXPERIENCE, and not just one ride over this.

I would love to see a fastpass option for DVC and Deluxe, similar to what Universal Studios offers, but I can't imagine how that would actually work in practice, given the sheer number of rooms in the Deluxe/DVC category. While Universal is a smaller park, that option is only available at 3 resorts and to paying customers (and that pay price is not one I'd pay!). We went to Universal instead of Disney a couple of years back - this was before we bought DVC and after we decided Disney was starting to price us out - and I admit we had a wonderful experience. The crowds were significantly LESS (and while that's not something Disney can necessarily control, it was such a nice thing), so we didn't feel like we were always in the midst of people, and the express pass option for staying at their onsite hotel made the whole park experience so nice, as we walked on to many rides, and even at Harry Potter we had only 20-25 minute waits. We were pleasantly surprised, as our last visit to Universal had been in 2009, and it had been a miserable experience of insane crowds, poorly designed waiting queues in the sun, lack of good service, no real immersion. They've definitely improved their game since then, and gotten so much better at theming and immersion.

That said, Disney is our love and our preference, though I do think Disney could learn a thing or two from Universal these days. While I can see how Disney might be using pay-to-play as a way of managing crowds, I feel like there has to be a better way to bring back the magic without making Disney a destination only for the wealthy. For one, that's a betrayal of the vision that led Walt to create Disneyland and Disney World in the first place. For another, we are not a wealthy family. We love our Disney, and we will keep going back as we are able, but if the EXPERIENCE cannot be had without paying a fortune, well, then it's not really Disney anymore and we will eventually hit our point where we go elsewhere. What Disney has done, or attempted to do, with point charts for 2020, 2021, and 2022 is not giving us confidence, however, that they have the DVC owners best interest in mind, and it does worry us that Disney is become less and less a company focused on creating "the happiest place on earth" and more focused on creating "the most profitable place on earth." ;-) (Now, if they brought back Reflections, a wilderness themed dvc with cabins, treehouses, and a LAZY RIVER, we'd be hooked again. ;-) Seriously, that is EXACTLY the kind of DVC hotel we want, and we are super sad it seems to have gone by the wayside).

That said, I hope it never comes to that. I'm hoping the pandemic has reminded Disney as it has reminded so many of the value of creating memories and experiences with friends and family, and that Disney will once again focus its attention on that AND on the dream of making a place where all families can visit.

Thinking we will have more days enjoying the resorts and less days in the parks
This describes our current thoughts as well.

That said, we are in a “wait and see” mode for what might replace the DLR AP program. Perhaps there will be stronger benefits for DVC members and fewer for locals (although we are both). Who knows?

What we won’t be doing: buying multi-day tickets that expire 13-days from first use. Thus, I suspect we will cancel our OCT reservation at WDW and simply sit out the 50th Anniversary.

I’m becoming convinced there are too many people with money to burn for Disney to ever run out of willing participants. The current price of DVC points and hotels just isn’t reasonable anymore, but it doesn’t seem to dissuade enough for it to force a market adjustment. I’m seeing the companies that lost the most last year, trying to make a killing and get it all back at once. Business I guess. Will see when the economy gets rough if money ever dries up.
I agree. I think it will take a couple years to see the true economic impact of the last year. Disney did lose a lot of money so they are trying to see what they can get away with, even in DVC. Hopefully prices will either level soon because I am in site for an add on but right now it does not make any sense with the prices being the way they are

It is quite expensive to do WDW vacations now compared to a few years ago. And by expensive, I mean value of $ spent for the experience. It makes me sad to see so many "free" experiences going by the wayside. Those are the things that made Disney so special. In all the years we have been coming to Disney, we have never spent a dollar anywhere else in Orlando. We find ourselves now talking about taking vacations where we don't visit the parks at all, or we, shhhhhh.... go to Universal.
We love the unexpected things you would happen upon as you wandered the parks, the citizens of hollywood, dapper dans, jamminators, etc. I hope those return. As for rides, Disney isn't the best place to go for those, so by relying only on those and losing the other types of experiences, any reason for us to go to Disney will be reduced drastically.
When we first went in 2018, we thought things were expensive. But since then they have raised the price of almost everything. When we go in the future we might do more of the nearby parks. We have not tried them yet and they seem to fit our budgets a lot more.

When we first went in 2018, we thought things were expensive. But since then they have raised the price of almost everything. When we go in the future we might do more of the nearby parks. We have not tried them yet and they seem to fit our budgets a lot more.
The first time we went it was 2006... and we thought it was downright a good value for a weeks vacation with 2 kids. Not cheap, but not unreasonable. It is now getting unreasonable in my opinion. The cost could be offset by the magical moments, the perks of staying onsite. It was so nice to arrive at the airport and never worry about your luggage or how it would get to your room magically. It was amazing to see the joy on my kids faces when we returned to the room after a day of fun to see how their stuffed animals had been set up into fun situations by our mousekeeper. It was a day full of wonder, not knowing what you would encounter around any corner of the park, when people start singing, dancing, telling jokes etc. The memories that my son and I have of skipping down a half empty main street at midnight eating candy (only on vacation could you be allowed to stay up that late and eat junk food) during extra magic hours. Those things have all been removed slowly... one at a time.... dwindled down, hoping we really wouldn't notice, like a frog boiling in a pot being raised in temperature slowly. We have accepted these changes and still shown up the next year. This may change though. There is a tipping point.

We've always been pretty much every other year Disney people. And lately we've done mid-Winter HHI trips, so its been four years now since we've been to WDW. This year, I think we are going to be at Aulani in January (I need to get that booked here in the next few weeks). So what is going on with the theme parks isn't a big deal to us at the present time. And I said when Covid hit that I wasn't going to go back until it returned to normal. I think masks were the right decision - I just really think having even the limited number of people at Disney even wearing masks was too much risk for us (my Covid life involved the grocery store. Once in a while I saw groups of friends who had similar risk profiles - no more than four households, outside and socially distanced. Christmas with my parents was half an hour wearing masks. We did take one emergency trip to see my youngest when they had a crisis - that was by far the biggest risk we took.)

So at this time we are more than two years out from our next possible WDW trip. We will see where Disney is then. Maybe we keep booking HHI. I think we are due for a WDW trip - there is a ton of change I'd like to see, but I'm not in a huge rush. With that much time in between WDW trips, Disney trips are still expensive as a single trip, but the overall amount of money going straight to Mickey's pockets is smaller.

. The main advantage to limiting admission right now is that Disney is short staffed. There is a labor shortage nationwide.
Disney is short staffed I think, of their own accord. While there is a labor shortage, looking at social media posts, there is no shortage of people clamoring to work at Disney. There are whole FB groups devoted to CM who were laid off and are elated when they are called back. For everyone who decides not to go back, there are plenty more who do want that spot. I mean, I have no actual numbers to back this up, but going by what I see on social media and posts on boards like this, there isn't a shortage of people wanting to work at Disney

Parkjobs.com has just 7 listings for WDW and 2 of those are actually at a call center. It doesn't appear that they aren't able to find people to work for them. I also looked a few weeks ago and there were more openings but all were part-time.

Our 1st trip to Disney was May 2019. I'd wanted to go for 35 years, ever since I was a kid, and finally got to take my own kids there. We stayed at POR. When I planned it, it was a once in a lifetime trip. But even DH got bit by the Disney bug lol. He watched the DVC thing in the room and started looking at it. The fact that Disney made it so easy to be there pretty much from the moment you land at MCO. Luggage delivered to your room, Magical Express, Disney transportation, resort airline check in, etc. So much easier than many other places. Then you add in the "perks" you are sold on with DVC. The AP discounts etc. We took his sister and her with us in Jan 2020 and they fell in love too. We stayed at Rivera and bought while we were there. Then Covid. Now pretty much every thing that made Disney so easy and worth the extra $ over someplace else is gone, or will be soon. I know that the DVC perks were never guaranteed, and thats fine. Likely I wouldn't have gone enough to make an AP worth it most years anyway. When we went in March of this year, it was so much more frustrating. Getting luggage, making your way to ME and doing it again on the way back.. The convenience of all of that was a big sell for all 4 adults. Not having that, Idk that we'd have bought DVC. I know none of that is a DVC issue, just a Disney issue in general

I will say though, I quite enjoyed not having to do dining at 6 months out or stressing over FP at 60 days. We were still able to ride all of the big rides and most of the others as well. It took a little getting up early to make it happen, but we'd have likely done that anyway.

One thing that would ease the sting of the other losses is if they did the express pass like Universal and it was included with deluxe stays. I'd be ecstatic about that lol

Most of the changes at Disney World pre-Covid have been building up a distaste for me, but not enough to stop going regularly. All the little nickel and dime charges for certain things, constant price increases with no real content additions, and some of the dumbing down and duplication of menus at once unique restaurants, plus the constant 'noise' in some of the parks which, while I know as adults with no kids makes my group a minority, was making all-day stays in the parks less pleasant (I dislike the constant stage shows, music parades, etc that are piped all over the park speakers, rather than just being isolated to those wishing to watch that show). But having been attending Disney World since 1971, every single year - transferring that to visiting Disneyland for the 4 years I lived in California - the Covid closures and restrictive reopening resulted in my last trip being March 2020 just before it closed, and not having been back for more than 1 year for the first time ever. Some of the rumored changes just keep piling on the little annoyances - the 'lightning pass' idea just feels like another money-grab and more virtual queues sounds more unpleasant too, for someone who likes spontaneous unplanned visits to the parks. I already disliked the structured need to always book dining far in advance of my trips, and booking fast-passes in advance - now having to book which park I want to go to months in advance, and having to join virtual queues in advance is just taking the pleasure and spontaneity away more. It's not so much the cost itself of these nickel-and-dime things, it's the principle of it.
I think of myself as a loyal park visitor Disney would want to keep - even though I don't care about buying 'fast pass' add-ons or special event tickets - because I spend lots of money on my trips. My party, whether solo or with family and friends, hit the high-end restaurants, enjoy the bars and expensive drinks, always pay for annual passes for all, valet all the time when available, etc. Yet because I wouldn't buy special fast passes at additional cost, or buy into special viewing areas, I'd probably be considered an 'unprofitable' guest. I think Disney should try a little better to understand that some regular, loyal DVCers and annual passholders probably spend more overall per trip, and visit more frequently (for me, it's 4-5 times a year), and these little changes could discourage guests such as myself from visiting as often or spending as much.
I have really been waiting to get back, and have trips now booked for July, September and December this year - the outdoor mask mandate is the primary reason I stayed away, and with that lifted, I felt I could head back in again...though I was hoping to see ALL mask mandates lifted in the parks by the time I get there, and also would have loved to see annual passes return, park reservations to drop, and fast passes returned...not to mention more restaurants, bars, and resorts open. Some of those things may happen, and eventually will if not in time for my July trip, but hearing some of these rumored changes grates on me. My annual pass was originally good for something like December 2020, and I let it expire because I didn't think I could renew it during the Covid problems when I read APs were no longer being offered - had I known I would have renewed...I only discovered when I had to buy day tickets for the July trip - I asked about my AP and it had been extended to March 2021, and was now too far past to renew. I also honestly had no idea when I'd be back in the parks - it wasn't until May when the outdoor masks were dropped that I immediately booked all three upcoming trips. I've only purchased tickets and made park and dining reservations for the July trip, as I was still waiting and hoping to hear if the APs were coming back for my September and December trips.
I don't think I'd bother with an extra charge for 'lightning pass' - depends I guess on what type of charge it might be for DVC or AP members. The virtual queue systems make rides essentially un-rideable for me - something like 'Rise of the Resistance' I honestly wonder if I'll ever get to try - because my relaxed, spontaneous park trips prevent me from waking up at 6am to jump on my phone and hammer away at the MDE app trying to book a boarding party. I don't even get up until 10am most vacation days, and don't hit the first park until after noon. If more rides go virtual queue, it means I'll probably never get on those rides either. Oh well - there's my DVC member rant for this thread!

I agree with the above poster. Things like luggage delivery and resort airline checkin, magical express etc, just made WDW such an “easy” and relaxing vacation destination. I love going to the Caribbean’s Europe but those vacations felt like so much more work having to figure out transportation etc. So these extra amenities gave WDW the edge, and we planned trips to Disney based on that edge.

I also bought DVC last year, expecting to get to enjoy my “easy” vacations for years to come. It’s very disappointing that our trips will most likely be much more difficult and costly going forward. I really didn’t enjoy waiting for an hour at baggage claim on my May trip. Call me spoiled, but I loved going straight from the plane to DME without hauling my big suitcase. It felt like I lost so much time on my May trip due to these missing magical services.

I think we might be changing our travel plans from going twice each year, to going only every other year. Glad we didn’t buy any more points than what we did.

I agree with the above poster. Things like luggage delivery and resort airline checkin, magical express etc, just made WDW such an “easy” and relaxing vacation destination. I love going to the Caribbean’s Europe but those vacations felt like so much more work having to figure out transportation etc. So these extra amenities gave WDW the edge, and we planned trips to Disney based on that edge.

I also bought DVC last year, expecting to get to enjoy my “easy” vacations for years to come. It’s very disappointing that our trips will most likely be much more difficult and costly going forward. I really didn’t enjoy waiting for an hour at baggage claim on my May trip. Call me spoiled, but I loved going straight from the plane to DME without hauling my big suitcase. It felt like I lost so much time on my May trip due to these missing magical services.

I think we might be changing our travel plans from going twice each year, to going only every other year. Glad we didn’t buy any more points than what we did.

Is MCO short staffed, too? They were always one of the fastest airports for the luggage carousels, especially compared to Las Vegas and San Antonio.

Is MCO short staffed, too? They were always one of the fastest airports for the luggage carousels, especially compared to Las Vegas and San Antonio.
I’m not sure. I think there were just so many arrivals at the time. It took them quite a while to start sending out the bags.

Coming from the west coast of Canada, we normally only go to WDW once a year for 3-4 weeks. What is important to me is an annual pass at a good discount over the daily ticket price and the ability to get FP (free) to reduce the wait in lines. I like to go to the park, wander around and do a few rides, but I'm only willing to pay so much for that before I don't see the value in a WDW vacation and will do something else instead.

Any trip you take regularly is one that becomes easy. I had been doing annual London trips due to a conference my husband spoke at, and London has become the easiest place to travel for me, far easier than WDW. I know the Tube and can read a Tube map. I know how to get from Heathrow to the City. I know good spots to eat, good spots to stay, and good spots to visit. (Warning, getting through customs at Heathrow can be an hour or more... when you are tired from a eight hour flight and jet lag - but thats been the worst of it.) And with a few possible exceptions (tickets for Buckingham Palace if its open to the public, tickets for West End shows), there isn't preplanning.

And tours are easy. We did an African safari and showed up at the airport to be met by our guide. From the point we moved through customs, to the moment we checked our bags to go home, we seldom touched our own luggage. Our guide met us at the airport and dropped us off at the airport. Our days were planned according to the tour.

Cruises are similarly easy. So are all inclusives - which frequently include airport transfers (or they can be added for a fee).

Traveling in a foreign language isn't easy - I enjoy Amsterdam, but it can be hard to figure out because the default is Dutch But it isn't very complicated, either. Thailand was a little harder - because the percentage of English speakers is smaller. But if you stick to tourist stuff, there is always an English speaker around.

Disney is a treat with small kids because there is always something for them - its really small kid friendly. And traveling with kids can be complicated - getting preschoolers from Heathrow to London and through the Tube would not be easy. But once the kids get into their tween years, or if you don't have kids, Disney vacations are really a pain in the back end. Way more planning than anywhere else we go.

If Disney were to offer this front of line pass with a deluxe resort stay, would DVC be able to offer it to only blue card members? I get that discounts and special member events are perks only for blue card members, but if its something offered on a deluxe-hotel-stay basis, that seems like it should go to everyone staying at the hotel, cash/blue points/white points.
I wouldn't put it pass Disney/DVC to only offer this to blue card members, but I imagine this would fall in line with "if you stay on site you can book FP 60 days out instead of 30", it's not based on your membership but where you're staying?

I suspect it would be counter intuitive to make this free for blue card DVC members only. A lightening pass would surely be intended to be revenue generating, but by making it blue card only disney parks would not be able to charge DVC for providing this perk for free because blue card perks cannot be subsidised from the annual dues that ALL members pay. So if it is “free” at deluxe, and therefore comes in for DVC guests, it will either be free for all DVC guests, or at a subsidised cost for all DVC guests so that it generates some incremental income for Disney from their DVC guests.

Paying extra for FPs is a deal breaker for us.
When they introduced the after hours holiday events and expected people to pay an extra $65, $75+ per person, I thought it was crazy. However, it apparently worked because they were selling out.
We're paying an exorbitant amount of money to get into a park and they want to squeeze more money out of us for a few hours in the evening. Not happening. Having said that, I didn't really care because it was our choice and it was just a little aggravating the parks were closing early on certain days.

We've been there twice since FPs have been suspended and to us it isn't worth the money anymore. Taking away ME was another huge loss which we are taking into account.
The price of everything keeps going up, and in my opinion, quality is going down. CMs not as friendly, parks not as clean and the price of food keeps going up while the quality just isn't there.

I suspect it would be counter intuitive to make this free for blue card DVC members only. A lightening pass would surely be intended to be revenue generating, but by making it blue card only disney parks would not be able to charge DVC for providing this perk for free because blue card perks cannot be subsidised from the annual dues that ALL members pay. So if it is “free” at deluxe, and therefore comes in for DVC guests, it will either be free for all DVC guests, or at a subsidised cost for all DVC guests so that it generates some incremental income for Disney from their DVC guests.
I think DVD would gladly pay the price instead of deducting it from dues so that it can be a blue card perk.

It’d be a grand slam for sales.

Honestly, DVC is a captive audience. Incentive for new sales is the only reason to include DVC at all.

In addition, they’d want to place some limits on capacity and weeding out white card holders is a place to do so.

I have been against these restrictions - more than most - and I’m not advocating for them here, either. But since DVC IS doing such restrictions, including DVC in a new system as a Deluxe perk only makes sense from Disney’s perspective if it increases DVC direct sales.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter