Lightning Pass and more Virtual Queues-How does it all affect you as a DVC Member?

It's one vloggers guess....also known as click bait.

And while it's perfectly fine to call it that if you want, I too have pretty good insider information and these rumblings have been happening for a while. It's a bold new world under Chapek, and the fact that he is where he is and the reasons he is where he is are not coincidental.

Despite what people say, Disney does have people that read these boards and take this feedback back to where it needs to go. Especially this board. And they do take the feedback here as a microcosm of the DVC community at large. For that reason, they take it seriously.

Whether you believe Lightning Pass or Virtual Queues will happen at WDW is really immaterial. What remains is the fact that I suspect that many of us would agree that, at least for now in this phase of the post pandemic era, we are getting less and less for more and more. What I had hoped this thread would surmise and convey is that this is something unsustainable and undesirable for DVC members as the demographic exists today. Maybe they're changing that also. Certainly, they are slowly raising the bar for income class it takes to pay to play.

Nonetheless, our numbers and more importantly, our collective voices are something Disney takes very seriously in our communities. Our impact reaches far beyond just the boundaries that are WDW and Disney knows this. If your primary ambassadors become your harshest critics, a problem is afoot, and Disney doesn't want this to happen.

If people don't collectively feel like we're getting less and less for more and more, that's fine also, but that's the intended purpose of this thread. To try to find out.

Whether you agree with Braeden or not, he makes a very good point about the collective direction of Disney in the first 10 minutes of the video, and more importantly to us, the apparent future direction of Disney P&R under Chapek. It's a bold new world under Chapek. Disney has "learned things," as Pride would say. The question remains whether what they have learned stands the test of time, or whether they are a bump in the road created by the very pandemic we were all under. That, remains to be seen. As does the long-term impact of all of this to all of us.

Last edited:
Disney has literally thousands of hotel rooms it wants to fill up at prices much higher than the competition. One way to do that has been fastpass+. They spent good money developing, patenting, and implementing the FP+ system. I could see FP+ or a renamed version of it continuing at 3 fp+ per day for onsite guests once crowd levels rebound. The main advantage to limiting admission right now is that Disney is short staffed. There is a labor shortage nationwide. Once they bring back the College Program,, that will up park capacity. And when the international guest worker program starts back up, that will add more capacity. Performers for theater shows will be hired and shows that are currently closed will reopen, crowds will return.

That doesn't mean that they won't offer some sort of paid FP system in addition to guests on a per day basis, like Universal, but would people be willing to pay that high of a price in addition to inflated cash room prices, and high park ticket prices? Disney thrives off of a combination of "Once in a Lifetime" and repeat guests, they need both at WDW, it isn't mostly a regional destination, unlike Disneyland. There is room for both a free and a pricey unlimited paid version, it doesn't need to be either/or. Disney needs people in the parks and hotels. Stockholders and fund managers will expect profits, especially since Disney is now classed as a growth stock. They also have a that new Star Wars Hotel coming online. While it may be an initial hit, given the popularity of immersive cosplay, will it be sustainable long term? The Disney Institute wasn't, people went to Disney for the parks, not to take a cooking class. Will it be the same thing with the Star Wars hotel? Will it become just another Deluxe themed hotel, but directly attached to a theme park? The skyliner, while admittedly saving money over buses, has long lines even with the limited number of people...that may ease now that more than one party is allowed per car, but I have to wonder if it is meeting Disney's expectations for a mass transit medium over a bus, light rail, peoplemover, or monorail-type system. Admittedly, the skyliner and bus are the cheaper of their options, but the skyliner has had a series of issues since it opened.

Last edited:
They also have a that new Star Wars Hotel coming online. While it may be an initial hit, given the popularity of immersive cosplay, will it be sustainable long term? The Disney Institute wasn't, people went to Disney for the parks, not to take a cooking class. Will it be the same thing with the Star Wars hotel? Will it become just another Deluxe themed hotel, but directly attached to a theme park?

The skyliner, while admittedly saving money over buses, has long lines even with the limited number of people.

Couple comments on these - I too wonder what happens to the SWH once the initial demand is worked through. I would expect it to become what you said, an attached deluxe hotel dropping the extreme immerssiveness, except for a few special events during the year where they would bring it back (i.e. May 4th). The interesting thing will be how long it takes to roll thru that initial demand.

I wonder if DI wasn't just very ahead of it's time - in the current world of many DVC owners taking resort only trips, I could see a day at a DI cooking class being a part of that, especially with the popularity of gourmet meal kits these days (oh, heck, there's a new moneymaking opportunity for Disney - Disney Resort meal kits delivered to your door weekly).

I think we have to let the Skyliner operate in a normal world for a while before declaring it a failure. I don't recall many line complaints prior to shutdown (nor did I see any when we were there in Feb 2020) but It was only open for 5 months or so before the world ended, lets see how it does thru a full year of normal.

If our focus was a standard Theme Park vacation then we have to agree annual visits to WDW have become a 'rich peoples' vacation and a 'middle America' one and done splurge vacation. At this point, COVID induced or not, I don't think bringing back parades, fireworks, FP reservation systems or DDP is going to change anything.

For us DVC was a compromise as DH wanted to purchase a home in FL but not me. We still feel we get our 'money's worth' from our DVC membership. If we're talking parks, the vanishing AP has definitely impacted that aspect of WDW. The one plus about going to WDW multiple times a year is the parks matter less. WDW developing the Springs has diminished our need to enjoy the parks and the final nail in the park visit coffin is the vanishing of the AP.

If our focus was a standard Theme Park vacation then we have to agree annual visits to WDW have become a 'rich peoples' vacation and a 'middle America' one and done splurge vacation. At this point, COVID induced or not, I don't think bringing back parades, fireworks, FP reservation systems or DDP is going to change anything.

For us DVC was a compromise as DH wanted to purchase a home in FL but not me. We still feel we get our 'money's worth' from our DVC membership. If we're talking parks, the vanishing AP has definitely impacted that aspect of WDW. The one plus about going to WDW multiple times a year is the parks matter less. WDW developing the Springs has diminished our need to enjoy the parks and the final nail in the park visit coffin is the vanishing of the AP.

You talk like AP is never coming back...did I miss the confirmation of that?

You talk like AP is never coming back...did I miss the confirmation of that?

Sorry about that. The AP is expected back in time for the 50th on October 1 but there is not a firm sale date. We have been told that my multiple CMs. Regardless of its return, and we'll be purchasing it, we've gotten to enjoy our park-less vacation days. I think by with holding the sale of the AP WDW has diminished it's worth.

If Disney were to offer this front of line pass with a deluxe resort stay, would DVC be able to offer it to only blue card members? I get that discounts and special member events are perks only for blue card members, but if its something offered on a deluxe-hotel-stay basis, that seems like it should go to everyone staying at the hotel, cash/blue points/white points.
I wouldn't put it pass Disney/DVC to only offer this to blue card members, but I imagine this would fall in line with "if you stay on site you can book FP 60 days out instead of 30", it's not based on your membership but where you're staying?

If Disney were to offer this front of line pass with a deluxe resort stay, would DVC be able to offer it to only blue card members? I get that discounts and special member events are perks only for blue card members, but if its something offered on a deluxe-hotel-stay basis, that seems like it should go to everyone staying at the hotel, cash/blue points/white points.
I wouldn't put it pass Disney/DVC to only offer this to blue card members, but I imagine this would fall in line with "if you stay on site you can book FP 60 days out instead of 30", it's not based on your membership but where you're staying?

Current rumors speculate that this is only a pay-to-play option. I suspect that if it comes to fruition at all, it will be some sort of hybrid based on resort level in combination with FP+, but that's not really what this thread is supposed to be about. Let's let that live over on the rumors board so this thread doesn't lose its focus or worse, get moved over there where its intended audience will never see it.

Current rumors speculate that this is only a pay-to-play option. I suspect that if it comes to fruition at all, it will be some sort of hybrid based on resort level in combination with FP+, but that's not really what this thread is supposed to be about. Let's let that live over on the rumors board so this thread doesn't lose its focus or worse, get moved over there where its intended audience will never see it.
Maybe remove 'rumors' from the title of this thread then 😄

It is quite expensive to do WDW vacations now compared to a few years ago. And by expensive, I mean value of $ spent for the experience. It makes me sad to see so many "free" experiences going by the wayside. Those are the things that made Disney so special. In all the years we have been coming to Disney, we have never spent a dollar anywhere else in Orlando. We find ourselves now talking about taking vacations where we don't visit the parks at all, or we, shhhhhh.... go to Universal.
We love the unexpected things you would happen upon as you wandered the parks, the citizens of hollywood, dapper dans, jamminators, etc. I hope those return. As for rides, Disney isn't the best place to go for those, so by relying only on those and losing the other types of experiences, any reason for us to go to Disney will be reduced drastically.

Just like us but reversed. I wanted a home in FL and DH does not so monthly visits to WDW for me...alone or with others...works!

I think one way that it could be a benefit for blue card members only is if it is a paid option, and just like the DVC AP, there is a less expensive option for those with a blue card. I have to read up on my POS again to find the section that mentions the ability to get onsite perks. IIRC, it is along the lines that as long as something is offered to cash guests, it applies to DVC stays as well.

But, I don't see it being a blue vs white card perk if it is free to cash paying deluxe guests.

I PROMISE this intend to be a positive post. We all want Disney to improve our product. And here is how:

To make a Bugs Life reference... quoting loosely... There are more of us than there are of them, and they know that. Relevance? Disney will do to us, the customers, whatever they darn well want to do, until we push back with out money. I LOVE Disney, and own at AK and BW. But in this very hard financial time, and with the mind set of the new CEO, we all need to come to terms with the new rules. They will take away from us everything they can, until they take too much. The moment they pass that threshold, things will begin to change for the better. So we the consumer, have to push back by not going, not spending, not participating, for a while. Remember, Wall Street looks at financial quarters. It stinks that CEOs look at such short timelines instead of long term, but there is an upside. If WE all push back for one or two quarters, they will respond. Until then, we have to take what they give us. Why wouldn't they? My advice: find your personal threshold, and after Disney passes it, change your plans. Skip a year. Go to Mexico, or the Grand Canyon, or whatever. And post on Social Medial like crazy. Tell Disney you are taking a break until we get a better product. Tell then we want what Tokyo Disney has. Match their product her in the US. If you don't know what I am talking about, research it. Their product is off the charts better than ours.

The crazy costs of the food and the tickets are definitely making us rethink our vacations to WDW. Thank goodness we bought our first APs last January before the shutdown. I can't imagine what they will cost when (or if) they are offered again. We are trying to decide when to activate them. The current plan is to do it this November, but we haven't made an official decision yet. When we do, we will try to get 3 week-long trips out of them, and then we will take several years off. Maybe in about five years, we will feel like going back. Maybe not. It will depend on how we feel about paying the crazy prices. Or we may go back and just do a resort stay and eat off-property. I would like to keep our AKV points just because I can't imagine how much it will be to stay at WDW in ten years when hopefully we will have grandkids. In the meantime, the plan is to use the AKV points for an extra trip to HHI in the off-season because we love it SO much better than WDW. Our original plan before I retired was to do HHI (on our HHI points) once/year plus WDW (with our AKV points) once/year. Now that I've retired, I just don't have that desire (which makes me sad), mainly because as the OP said, we are getting less and less and having to pay more and more.

ETA: It must be obvious that we will NOT pay for Lightning Pass if it happens.

If they offer it to deluxe, DVD is going to have to negotiate to include it as part of the DVC experience and that sounds like a separately expensed “perk” aka a blue card special.

Is there anything only paid by cash guests? Seems like the resorts would negotiate and then DVC would just pay it's portion but maybe I am wrong on that piece.

I PROMISE this intend to be a positive post. We all want Disney to improve our product. And here is how:

To make a Bugs Life reference... quoting loosely... There are more of us than there are of them, and they know that. Relevance? Disney will do to us, the customers, whatever they darn well want to do, until we push back with out money. I LOVE Disney, and own at AK and BW. But in this very hard financial time, and with the mind set of the new CEO, we all need to come to terms with the new rules. They will take away from us everything they can, until they take too much. The moment they pass that threshold, things will begin to change for the better. So we the consumer, have to push back by not going, not spending, not participating, for a while. Remember, Wall Street looks at financial quarters. It stinks that CEOs look at such short timelines instead of long term, but there is an upside. If WE all push back for one or two quarters, they will respond. Until then, we have to take what they give us. Why wouldn't they? My advice: find your personal threshold, and after Disney passes it, change your plans. Skip a year. Go to Mexico, or the Grand Canyon, or whatever. And post on Social Medial like crazy. Tell Disney you are taking a break until we get a better product. Tell then we want what Tokyo Disney has. Match their product her in the US. If you don't know what I am talking about, research it. Their product is off the charts better than ours.
So, we are here. The line for us was masks and no AP. We told Disney (wrote a letter) day one with the masks that we would not go back to the parks with masks and we have not. We also will not go back without an AP. We got tired of waiting and got a great deal on the top tier AP with universal. 15 months for the price of 12. As soon as they lifted masks, we went. Well, well, well. Universal is awesome. Driving home now. We’d never been. Frankly, they do most things better than Disney. Talk about shocked. I don’t think the future is bright for Disney. But I don’t think it is just the pricing. We are disgusted by their new “woke” agenda. Free Trader Sam is all I can say.

So, we are here. The line for us was masks and no AP. We told Disney (wrote a letter) day one with the masks that we would not go back to the parks with masks and we have not. We also will not go back without an AP. We got tired of waiting and got a great deal on the top tier AP with universal. 15 months for the price of 12. As soon as they lifted masks, we went. Well, well, well. Universal is awesome. Driving home now. We’d never been. Frankly, they do most things better than Disney. Talk about shocked. I don’t think the future is bright for Disney. But I don’t think it is just the pricing. We are disgusted by their new “woke” agenda. Free Trader Sam is all I can say.
Dangit, you had me right up until the end there 😅

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter