Let's keep it real ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like the departure of Shaun and how it was handled started something on here a few months back and it's carrying over into all these other sentiments as well.

I understand. Someone moved their cheese.

I tend to be in the camp that still likes the show well enough, but I no longer love the show. It is just a very different show today than it was when it started out. I don't begrudge the team for changing and evolving, but I agree that it used to be much much better.

I loved the dining reviews, now they are few and far between. I loved the experience reviews that they used to do so frequently (tours, spas, rides, etc) I find that these are less and less frequent. I also miss the banter that used to occur to a larger extent, and now the show is much much tighter. I also miss the prizes. That used to be so fun, and they used to give away great prizes really frequently. I really miss the email show. I know it probably got boring for them, and difficult to come up with new and interesting questions, but I always really loved that show. I loved the shows of the past when we would hear Pete freaking out that they were going over the time-those shows had great discussions. Nowadays it is not uncommon for someone to comment that they are running fast...

It is still fine, but it is unrecognizable from those years when it was really great 2007-2011ish. I won't stop listening, but I don't think the show has improved, I think it has gotten worse. Perhaps 'worse' is the wrong word, maybe "less enjoyable for me" is a better way to put it. This is just one opinion. This is just what I think, which ultimately amounts to a hill of beans!

I understand we are not owed a detailed explanation of anyone's departure. I liked Shaun, but I was upset because it was yet another member of the team that just went "poof", for lack of a better word.

The podcasters can't be surprised that we have grown to care. We listen, this isn't a two way conversion. They have opened up their lives to us. I never asked Pete about his love life. He shared it. He brought us in to his relationship with Walter. He proclaimed his feelings, brought us along their many trips and adventures, and made us part of their wedding plans. Many listeners sent gifts or made donations in their names. I think Walter brought a refreshing prospective to the podcast. Walter's involvement brought us Teresa and Max. The Echols crew was a fantastic addition to the podcast.

Then one day, "poof", no more Walter. And now we should feel guilty for caring or being curious about his departure?

I felt the same about Shaun. I voiced this and saw my posts deleted. That is what made me stop watching for awhile. I guess it was my own form of protest.

I find it ironic...their podcast is a success because they express their opinions, yet our opinions are heavily censored. I think they would appreciate our thoughts and ideas on how to make the show better. There is a set of fanboy/moderatators that tend to try to squash any form of conversation or debate.

I tend to be in the camp that still likes the show well enough, but I no longer love the show. It is just a very different show today than it was when it started out. I don't begrudge the team for changing and evolving, but I agree that it used to be much much better.

I loved the dining reviews, now they are few and far between. I loved the experience reviews that they used to do so frequently (tours, spas, rides, etc) I find that these are less and less frequent. I also miss the banter that used to occur to a larger extent, and now the show is much much tighter. I also miss the prizes. That used to be so fun, and they used to give away great prizes really frequently. I really miss the email show. I know it probably got boring for them, and difficult to come up with new and interesting questions, but I always really loved that show. I loved the shows of the past when we would hear Pete freaking out that they were going over the time-those shows had great discussions. Nowadays it is not uncommon for someone to comment that they are running fast...

It is still fine, but it is unrecognizable from those years when it was really great 2007-2011ish. I won't stop listening, but I don't think the show has improved, I think it has gotten worse. Perhaps 'worse' is the wrong word, maybe "less enjoyable for me" is a better way to put it. This is just one opinion. This is just what I think, which ultimately amounts to a hill of beans!

This! I also miss the listener contributions. I loved when someone would tape a review or trip report. It would be great if they could do a segment that bring viewers back into the conversation. Maybe a video question segment?

I find it ironic...their podcast is a success because they express their opinions, yet our opinions are heavily censored. I think they would appreciate our thoughts and ideas on how to make the show better. There is a set of fanboy/moderatators that tend to try to squash any form of conversation or debate.

There is a good bit of debate on the boards about a wide variety of topics. I've disagreed with the podcast team, including Pete, about topics they have discussed in the past. They welcomed the discussion. So to say that there are some who "try to squash any form of conversation or debate" about the podcast or that "our opinions are heavily censored," seems, to me, to be a good bit overstated.

This! I also miss the listener contributions. I loved when someone would tape a review or trip report. It would be great if they could do a segment that bring viewers back into the conversation. Maybe a video question segment?

Then you may like what Pete announced on yesterday's podcast.

I wasn't speaking of the team. I think they would welcome our thoughts. I do think there are posters and moderators who do try to squash debate or criticism.

I guess that is to be expected on a fan forum.

I'm really loving these comments. All have made me feel less female-doggish and happy to know that there are others who have seen a change recently which they aren't jazzed about. I'm also happy to know that the Podcast team has seen the comments and have shared their own (thanks Craig and Kevin!). This makes me feel like our comments and concerns are being heard. I don't pretend to think that direction of the podcast will change as it is up to the leadership and its goals. I do hope, though, that some of the members of the team are able to loosen up a bit, show us their personalities and give us a chance to like, love or even hate them. ;)

With that said, for the love of Spock (can't say "Pete" in this instance), let's move on from the Shaun debate. I liked him too but he's gone now and it is none of our business why he is no longer on the podcast(s). That topic was not the purpose of this thread from my standpoint.

I wasn't speaking of the team. I think they would welcome our thoughts. I do think there are posters and moderators who do try to squash debate or criticism.

I guess that is to be expected on a fan forum.

As the main moderator of this board, I take great offense to these statements especially within a thread that does anything but censor listeners' feelings (positive or negative) about the show.

All forums on the DISboards are moderated by DIS Posting Guidelines. When someone signs up for an account here, that person agrees to abide by those rules. If a conversation begins to cross a line here, the appropriate action is taken by either myself or someone higher up in command.

I ask for your respect and understanding that not everything regarding certain decisions can be made public for a variety of reasons. Disney is a business and does not disclose information regarding its staff because that would be a violation of privacy on both sides. Please keep in mind that The DIS and DISboards are both a part of a business. I would appreciate the same courtesy as a result.

If you should have further questions or concerns related to this matter, please contact me directly or I can put you in contact with an administrator, if need be.

Last edited:
With that said, for the love of Spock (can't say "Pete" in this instance), let's move on from the Shaun debate. I liked him too but he's gone now and it is none of our business why he is no longer on the podcast(s). That topic was not the purpose of this thread from my standpoint.

Sorry for responding and going down that road to perpetuate the several posts that followed. I agree with you. But I think it does tie into this a bit. I think it was the start of what has led to some other people not feeling "jazzed" about the podcast recently as well. But it's obviously arleady been hashed and re-hashed, so I agree there's nothing further to discuss on it.

The podcasters can't be surprised that we have grown to care. We listen, this isn't a two way conversion. They have opened up their lives to us. I never asked Pete about his love life. He shared it. He brought us in to his relationship with Walter. He proclaimed his feelings, brought us along their many trips and adventures, and made us part of their wedding plans. Many listeners sent gifts or made donations in their names. I think Walter brought a refreshing prospective to the podcast. Walter's involvement brought us Teresa and Max. The Echols crew was a fantastic addition to the podcast.

Then one day, "poof", no more Walter. And now we should feel guilty for caring or being curious about his departure?

An overdeveloped sense of entitlement on your part does not require an explanation on mine. It's none of your business. I choose what parts of my personal life I share, and that's my prerogative. It does not enjoin me to explain EVERYTHING because you feel you deserve an explanation. You don't. It's none of your business. Just like its none of your business why someone leaves the company. The only explanation I owe you is that a particular member of the team is no longer working for us. You don't get the gritty details. Move on.

This sentiment is a bit scary.

If you have been a listener for any length of time, you must realize that we have shared our lives with you. We have had great times and times of great sadness. Speaking personally, I have lost Bob, both parents and my lifelong best friend while doing this show and was open and honest about it all.

The rest of the team has done the same.

The fact that you feel you are owed something more makes me want to just shut down.

Because of the fact that we have been so open and you know so much about us that you consider us "friends", you should realize that when something isn't discussed...it's either because we can't discuss it or just don't want to discuss it.

That should be enough for anyone.

No one here is "owed" anything.

Completely agree 100% with Kevin. These guys are insanely open about their lives, and anything that they're not talking about is their right. I loved Shaun, miss him, and wonder what happened. But they have their reasons as to not talking about it, and I respect it.

We know Pete was homeless, an alcoholic, and suffered from depression. We know what Corey and Julie went through with their kids. We know about JL's personal life. We know that Kathy lost her husband. I know more about these people than almost any other podcast host I can think of. They owe us nothing about their personal lives, yet they've given us almost everything.

Some of the criticism I'm seeing here is ridiculous. I'm a fairly new listener; less than a year. Seeing those two new downloads pop up on my Itunes every week makes me oh so happy. I've got a lot of downtime at my job and I've spend quite a bit of time listening to the old shows. And the only big difference I hear is the fact that Bob isn't there. Was that a major loss? Yes. And I think they would be the first to admit it. But other than that, the quality hasn't seemed to wane in the slightest. Are some episodes better than others? Of course. But that's the same for every podcast/radio show since forever!

I'm just speaking for myself, but I simply don't agree with the negativity. Constructive criticism is always good, but some of what I'm reading just sounds childish and petty.

One thing that leaves me pretty impressed is the ability to come up with new content for the segments week after week. You'd think they'd run out of things to talk about after while since it's a podcast based solely on Disney, but they don't and I think that speaks to the creativity of the crew. I also think it's another reason why the additions of the newer people are so critical. They bring new points and excitement that maybe is needed every so often - and that goes for anything like TV shows, music, radio, etc. Some people don't like change and that's fine but it's not always a bad thing. Look at how many of us scoffed at FP+ at first and then got used to the concept and maybe used it on a trip, and now many of us like it (myself included!)

Nicely done Pete

I think that ends that. Just don't let John and Kevin get out if their podcasting duties ever again. So what if they are on a cruise, or in Italy, or Australia

They need to entertain me and my minions

I'm kind of sorry this thread is being derailed by the Shaun discussion. For me, personally, I couldn't care less why Shaun left. I thought he was okay while he was on and now he's not - so be it. Like in any other business - people come, people go - that's life. If the reason you no longer listen to the podcast is because Shaun left and you just can't bear to listen without him then knowing why he left isn't really going to make a difference is it?

I've been listening to the podcast since the very first Roundtable episode. I've laughed, I've cried, I've learned so much about Disney that my friends and family think I should have my own podcast :) I have found lately that I do not enjoy the show as much as I used to. I have thought about it and, for me personally, it's a combination of a couple of factors:

First, I miss what I consider to be the "core four" together each week - Pete, Kevin, John, and Bob were the foundation of everything that I loved about the podcast. They were four people who unequivocally love Disney & truly enjoyed discussing it with each other (and, in turn, with us). They weren't blind to Disney's faults but their enthusiasm and enjoyment of the parks really came through, even while they were able to give opinions that weren't always totally positive. Obviously when Bob passed away, I felt a huge hole but I felt that Kathy, and later Teresa, did a good job of adding to that enthusiasm & sheer happiness that discussing Disney seemed to bring to everyone. So not having that core group together each week - or at least most weeks - has contributed to my own diminishing enjoyment. I recognize what a time commitment this podcast taping is for very busy people & I also understand why, after all these years, it might be hard to dredge up that level of enthusiasm every single week for everyone. So I understand, in theory, why not having Pete, John, and Kevin together every single week and changing up the combo of people who are there is a reasonable and practical solution - the heart still wants what it wants I guess :laughing:

The second thing is probably related to the first - it feels to me like the passion and excitement that I first felt from the team are just not there. There are still things that are obviously enjoyed by some of the team and there are still times that I can hear that old passion but often it feels like the job of doing the podcast week in and week out and discussing many of the same topics have (understandably) been wearing down the enthusiasm and "magical feeling" of some of the team. I know that John & Kevin have come right out and said that they haven't been to the parks in quite some time & they just don't enjoy them the way they used to. Again, this is totally understandable - it would be hard to maintain that level of excitement & emotion about something you've done (and discussed) so many times. I don't blame them in the least - but it makes me a little sad to hear the difference.

The last thing - and I know I'm going to get a lot of flack for this, but it's just MY opinion and everyone can feel free to totally dismiss as worthless - I am just not a fan of JL and, to a lesser extent, Dustin. I think they're both very professional and prepared & well-spoken. I just don't "click" with them. I have never gotten a sense of excitement or enthusiasm from them - at least not the way I did from the original team. JL is just not my cup of tea as they say. I can't give you a specific example because I don't take notes but there have been many instances where she'll say something that I disagree with & she makes it seem as though it's a fact rather than her opinion or she will interrupt another team member to press her point & I find myself cringing. I am sure she's a lovely person as many have said and I am not trying to be mean or rude or hurt anyone's feelings. As I've said before, it's just my opinion and I've tried to wait a reasonable amount of time to see if she grew on me but it's just not clicking for me. For what it's worth, I very much enjoy Craig and love his dry sense of humor and always listened to the Universal podcast but now I find myself not downloading it because it's just not that enjoyable to me anymore. (On a tangent note though - Craig, PLEASE stop using the word "whenever" as though it's the same word as "when". This little verbal tic drives me crazy!!)

I realize in the overall scheme of things, I'm just one person in a(n apparent) sea of new listeners that disagree and love JL but since the topic was brought up I thought maybe there might be some interest in one old-timer's opinion.

All I am going to say is that I wish I could do this for a living. It would be awesome to be part of those discussions.
The show is very good. I've only been listening for about a year and there are some weeks where the topics are interesting and others are not. That's really the only thing I see but it's on a week to week basis.

It's ironic, I did post that I never wanted any gritty details...lol, but my post timed out on my ipad so I had to write my post over again and forgot that part. I have NEVER asked for any details. I've just been honest and expressed my feelings of surprise and/or sadness at their departure. I see a distinct difference between the two.

I can't give you a specific example because I don't take notes but there have been many instances where she'll say something that I disagree with & she makes it seem as though it's a fact rather than her opinion or she will interrupt another team member to press her point & I find myself cringing.
I've avoided the following comment as I don't want to criticize anyone nor make them feel attacked etc. however, I feel your comment above actually applies not at all to JL but to Julie at times. I love her mumma bear perspective, though I'm not a mother so usually anything ""kid related" doesn't actually apply to me, but I love to hear all perspectives. But I started listening mid last year and Julie wasn't on the show much, but now that she is on the Universal show, I feel that she does do this at times. But I don't think she shouldn't. it is who she is and I respect that and love the differing personalities. I actually find JL to be respectful and generally doesn't talk over the top of anyone or tell them that their opinion is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter