Let's keep it real ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
JL has very strong opinions and would likely be the one to go womano a Mano with Pete. I wonder if that's why some don't care for her.

But I like her as an addition to the team she does a great job of filling in when Pete and Dustin are gone

I think if you go to May of 2008? The legendary Shutters review is there
I'm not seeing the Shutters review in May of 2008 in the show notes?
May 13, 2008 Podcast

In this week's show we discuss Disneyland and the California Food and Wine Festival after Pete and Walter's return from their working vacation to Southern California. This was also our last show with Bob Varley.

May 20, 2008 Podcast

The "Bob" Memorial Show - the team shares stories about Bob Varley.

The "Best of Bob" Show - our listeners pick their favorite Bob segments

May 27, 2008 Podcast

In this week's show we'll discuss the top news stories on the DIS including the fine levied by OSHA against Disney for last years fatal accident on Primeval Whirl. The team discusses the opening of two new major attractions - The Simpsons Ride at Universal Studios and Toy Story Mania at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Also, Kevin Klose has his review of the Sand Trap Golf Club at the Osprey Ridge golf course. All that plus Roundtable rapid-fire on this week's edition of the DIS Unplugged.

I suspect that "some" of this constant complaining is over Shaun . . . but it's time to move on.

Pft, I've moved on. His replacement, Ryno, is really good addition.
But it's very shady how he was given the boot. And on the boards around the time he was let go, all threads and posts were edited basically saying we can't discuss it.
I'm not saying we deserve an fully detailed reason why he was let go, but the fact that it was so sudden and out of the blue still irked me, and others as well.

But whatever. I still like the show and the other programs the team produces!

Since we are suggesting excellent podcast eps, May I suggest Kathy and Teresa's wonderful 101 series? My personal fav is Epcot-Future World 101. I've heard this one so many times I can quote it. Especially "Enough about the pig." Also Kathy's visit to Legoland is well worth a listen to those who interested in what lies beyond Disney.

May I also suggest in the Future that we do a 7 in 7 series on Universal hotels or a 4 in 4 for the Universal show. I cannot get enough of Cabana Bay. Like they don't have enough to do.

Pft, I've moved on. His replacement, Ryno, is really good addition.
But it's very shady how he was given the boot. And on the boards around the time he was let go, all threads and posts were edited basically saying we can't discuss it.
I'm not saying we deserve an fully detailed reason why he was let go, but the fact that it was so sudden and out of the blue still irked me, and others as well.

But whatever. I still like the show and the other programs the team produces!

And they still can't discuss it. Its a private matter between employer and (former) employee that is none of our business.

And they still can't discuss it. Its a private matter between employer and (former) employee that is none of our business.

I don't want to go down this road again and derail the thread, but the point is that it IS our business when we are the main reason they're in business at all. We're invested listeners and they are "public figures" in a sense. While we don't need a detail chronology of events, maybe a few more words or sentiments about Shaun would have gone a long way. But I digress.

I don't want to go down this road again and derail the thread, but the point is that it IS our business when we are the main reason they're in business at all. We're invested listeners and they are "public figures" in a sense. While we don't need a detail chronology of events, maybe a few more words or sentiments about Shaun would have gone a long way. But I digress.

You have got to be kidding. My experience has been that, in a situation like this, nothing that might be said would satisfy the curious. A "few more words or sentiments" might satisfy some, but others will "demand" a detailed chronology.

And, while I'm on a soap box, I must respectfully disagree with the other poster(s) who have suggested that some "newer" members of the podcast think of the podcast as just a "job." These folks have some serious technical and artistic talent. Odds are pretty strong that they chose to do a Disney podcast because they are passionate about the subject. JL, for one, has been passionate about Disney long before she started with the podcast, you only need to look at her old disboards posts to see that. And Dustin produces four live video podcasts each week. (I've already mentioned Craig, so I won't repeat that here).

But I'm biased. I like them all. I'm not saying you can't have your own likes and dislikes, that's only human, but I do disagree with some of the things that have been said about the podcast members.

What I really miss is something the podcast won't ever get back. I would have loved to have seen Bob on a video podcast.

I think this is what I was not able to pinpoint. And it became more clear to me after listening to the Universal Show from February 12th when Jenilyn mentioned that she watched all of the Harry Potter movies and now 'gets it'. I actually heard her personality during that show and it was honestly the first time that I heard some inflection and excitement in her voice since she started on the DisUnplugged. I felt like she was an actual person and not a Stepford mom. This makes me wonder if an above poster is right - maybe Pete is trying to produce a more polished, professional sounding podcast going forward. If so, I hope the individual personalities do not get quashed in the process.

I agree with this. When JL's personality shows through that is when she shines. I am a podcast junkie and listened to the DDL podcast she was on years ago. Give it some time. I get the impression that professionalism is what she is trying to project, but the podcast is at its best, IMHO, when everyone is comfortable and loose. I think it will be fine. She does a great job on the news reports that she does in Orlando.

It doesn't bother me, like having someone who really isn't all that into WDW would. Or unnecessary, extraneous laughter after every statement would:duck:

Last edited:
You have got to be kidding. My experience has been that, in a situation like this, nothing that might be said would satisfy the curious. A "few more words or sentiments" might satisfy some, but others will "demand" a detailed chronology.

I don't know, I think you read my post wrong. I'd say a lot of people were split 50/50 when Shaun left. While some wanted answers as to exactly why he left, many were just looking for more of a sincere send-off. Had they done maybe a montage or let the rest of the team say why they'll miss Shaun, it would have given more acknowledgement to his time spent there and would have provided a little more closure. I get that for legal reasons they can't speak to WHY he left, but the abrupt and brief announcment just generated more questions and surprise from the listeners. Seeming more genuine about it would have maybe resulted in a more 75/25 split on here.

And I do agree with your other sentiments about the talent the podcasters possess. I often think that if I had to speak freely and somewhat candidly while being recorded, I'm come off like a stuttering idiot and wouldn't be able to get my point across. They do it with ease, while providing visually appealing content and an overall entertaining show. I listen to it while running on the treadmill - that's how well it holds my interest!

nkereina, if I read your post wrong, I apologize. I was primarily responding to your assertion that "it IS our business when we are the main reason they're in business at all. We're invested listeners and they are "public figures" in a sense." That struck me wrong, almost as if you were saying that listeners are podcast paparazzi.

I have come off as a raving idiot, at least I feel that way, so much so that I can't listen or watch any of the podcasts where I've been a guest.

nkereina, if I read your post wrong, I apologize. I was primarily responding to your assertion that "it IS our business when we are the main reason they're in business at all. We're invested listeners and they are "public figures" in a sense." That struck me wrong, almost as if you were saying that listeners are podcast paparazzi.

No worries. I'm not saying podcast listeners are crazed fans with a right to know. I just mean that when you're in a public forum such as a podcast - or the radio, the news, social media, etc - people feel like they have a vested interest and expect more. Right or wrong. If Johnny at the grocery store you frequent got let go, no one would bat an eye. I think expectations are different due to the "limelight" they are in, so to speak. People on here were looking for more closure on the situation I think. That's all :thumbsup2

but the point is that it IS our business when we are the main reason they're in business at all. We're invested listeners and they are "public figures" in a sense.

This sentiment is a bit scary.

If you have been a listener for any length of time, you must realize that we have shared our lives with you. We have had great times and times of great sadness. Speaking personally, I have lost Bob, both parents and my lifelong best friend while doing this show and was open and honest about it all.

The rest of the team has done the same.

The fact that you feel you are owed something more makes me want to just shut down.

Because of the fact that we have been so open and you know so much about us that you consider us "friends", you should realize that when something isn't discussed...it's either because we can't discuss it or just don't want to discuss it.

That should be enough for anyone.

No one here is "owed" anything.

I agree that some people typically "expect more" from public figures but I'm not so sure that expectation, in general, is justified? Should famous actors have to chose between their career and their privacy because they are paid millions of dollars per movie? What about sports figures who make $30k or more per pitch? Are we "owed" something by them beyond the entertainment that they provide?

I play a "game" while waiting in the grocery/target/walmart check out line. I call it, "what celebrity lost this week." The rules are simple. I tally the faces on the tabloids. The loser is the celebrity whose face appears on the most tabloids.

Last edited:
This sentiment is a bit scary.

If you have been a listener for any length of time, you must realize that we have shared our lives with you. We have had great times and times of great sadness. Speaking personally, I have lost Bob, both parents and my lifelong best friend while doing this show and was open and honest about it all.

The rest of the team has done the same.

The fact that you feel you are owed something more makes me want to just shut down.

Because of the fact that we have been so open and you know so much about us that you consider us "friends", you should realize that when something isn't discussed...it's either because we can't discuss it or just don't want to discuss it.

That should be enough for anyone.

No one here is "owed" anything.

I agree with you Kevin. For the record, I personally don't feel owed anything. I'm just speaking to what I've gathered from multiple threads on here over the last few months on this topic specifically about Shaun. Again, not trying to open a can of worms or anything - just being devil's advocate to offer a different perspective. The situation is water under the bridge for me, and doesn't impact my opinion of the podcast. But I know it has for others.

I agree that some people typically "expect more" from public figures but I'm not so sure that expectation, in general, is justified? Should famous actors have to chose between their career and their privacy because they are paid millions of dollars per movie? What about sports figures who make $30k or more per pitch? Are we "owed" something by them beyond the entertainment that they provide?

I play a "game" while waiting in the grocery/target/walmart check out line. I call it, "what celebrity lost this week." The rules are simple. I tally the faces on the tabloids. The loser is the celebrity whose face appears on the most tabloids.

We're owed nothing and it's not justified. I agree wholeheartedly. But the fact of the matter is that some people DO feel this way, for better or worse, and I was only speaking to that. Trying to offer up an explanation as to why some may be disheartened by the podcast as of late. Seems like the departure of Shaun and how it was handled started something on here a few months back and it's carrying over into all these other sentiments as well.

The title of this thread is "let's keep it real" after all. Please don't shoot the messenger :blush:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter