Leit's Aulani Trip Report

Thank you so much for doing this trip report....

I am contemplating Aulani for next summer. I turn 50 in June and 2 sons have graduations, so I am thinking what a great celebration.

We have never been to Hawaii, so I am interested in hearing your prospective and only doing one island....

Waiting anxiously for more....thanks again for sharing.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

More, more!!! :)

We leave this Friday on our honeymoon. I can't wait!! :)
I am hoping to read more of your trip report before I actually have to leave.

Thanks!!

Kelly

So happy! An Aulani TR!!! :banana: I just booked our air yesterday- we had enough FF miles to fly r/t, and on the way back 1st class. :woohoo: Well, at least for part of it. :goodvibes I figured I should book that while I can- and the kauai portion of our trip....while I wait and pray for something to be available at 7 months at Aulani...:eek:

I'm looking forward to all of your pics and hearing about all of your fun!

I'm in too! :thumbsup2 Thank you for including your non-Disney Hawaii planning links. I too, am a meticulous planner. :goodvibes

Looking forward to reading more about your trip! Thanks for posting your photos!!!

Thanks for posting! I can't wait to hear more!

I've subscribed. :thumbsup2

We are going to Aulani in April so I am enjoying this so far. :cloud9:

Thanks for doing this. :worship:

OK I am waiting for more! :)

More, more!!! :)

We leave this Friday on our honeymoon. I can't wait!! :)
I am hoping to read more of your trip report before I actually have to leave.

Thanks!!

Kelly

YEA! Very happy to be reading this report. Can't wait for more.:hippie:

:yay: Can't wait to read more. We are heading there in 6 short months!!!

So happy! An Aulani TR!!! :banana: I just booked our air yesterday- we had enough FF miles to fly r/t, and on the way back 1st class. :woohoo: Well, at least for part of it. :goodvibes I figured I should book that while I can- and the kauai portion of our trip....while I wait and pray for something to be available at 7 months at Aulani...:eek:

I'm looking forward to all of your pics and hearing about all of your fun!

Thanks everyone for joining in and for your encouragement - now I really feel motivated to post! :goodvibes

For all of you that are looking forward to upcoming vacations - I'm so jealous! It was definitely a vacation well worth the wait and any and all savings put towards it! :yay:

Thank you so much for doing this trip report....

I am contemplating Aulani for next summer. I turn 50 in June and 2 sons have graduations, so I am thinking what a great celebration.

We have never been to Hawaii, so I am interested in hearing your prospective and only doing one island....

Waiting anxiously for more....thanks again for sharing.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

There was more than enough to do on the one Island - there was lots we didn't even get to in the 7 days we were there! In addition to what we did there was also snorkeling in Hanauma Bay, Aloha Stadium Swap Meet, and Pearl Harbor!

A less blurry picture of Waikolohe Valley

I woke up at 5am (10am our time), but DH was up too, so we went out to the porch to find it still pitch black outside. I decided to start on my Trip Report for both myself (so I can remember all the details of this awesome vacation) and for the DIS, because I was hanging on every typed word about Aulani before I came here! I also enjoyed the free wi-fi! DH went and got the IWA (newsletter) for the day so we could see what was going on at the resort that we might be interested in. Turned out there was Sunrise Yoga at 7am, one of the things I especially wanted to try! So we headed out a little after 6am to wander the Waikolohe Valley to sightsee while the resort was quiet before we met for yoga. Before we left though we got to see the resort start lighting up and we felt like the ocean got a big reveal as it went from pitch blackness to beautiful ocean view!

There's an ocean out there!

We head to the beach around 6:15am, walking through the Waikolohe Valley and seeing lots that we didn't explore yesterday.

Pool by "Off the Hook"

Hot Tub

You can see the rental chairs with top up here (no cushions though)

Entry Gate (requires room key)

Makiki Joes' Beach Rentals

Then we go to Makiki Joes Beach Rentals. The beach had a few people either sitting in the sand, swimming laps in the cove, or walking/jogging the trail. At around quarter to 7 the yoga instructor and a few other people showed up and around 6:50 we start heading to a "more private location." On our way down the path she told us information about the area (the resorts, the cove, etc). She was very knowledgeable, friendly, and answered all of our questions - a perfect Disney Cast Member (which tickled me, because I never had a Disney Yoga instructor before!) The yoga wasn't actually on the sand part of the beach, but it was over (past the chapel) in a beautiful grassy area with palm trees.

It wasn't a particularly intense yoga session (there was one first-timer out of the five of us) but it was really nice, just what we needed after a day of travel. I'd never practiced outside before, so it was really nice to hear the water, see the birds and the trees, feel the grass, and let the sun warm us up. The instructor said they have 2 people teaching classes right now, and they will have 5 by Christmas. She said right now they have 3 classes a day right now (alternating between yoga, stretching, walking, different level of pool workouts, and muscle fitness). She also said they are working on programs for teen fitness, which I found interesting.

View of Aulani as we walked back from Yoga

Cabanas

Restrooms in the Waikolohe Valley (there are key card inserts by the doors, but DH said he got in without it so maybe it's just for nighttime?)

Signs pointing to the Lava Shack, and Papalua Shaved Ice stand behind it

Lava Shack

Looking at fish in Rainbow Reef

Fish in Rainbow Reef!

Oh! Water! Dont mind if I do!

Lazy River

Kukui nut torches

Up Next: Day 2, Part 2 - Aunty's Breakfast Celebration and North Shore Adventure

Thanks, keep it coming. I would love to see more photos, read about the food and hear about how diificult it was to get free beach chairs.

Our Room Number

A more well-lit view

After yoga we went back to the room to change and then headed down to the Makahiki restaurant to see if we could get a table at the character breakfast. We could, with a half-hour wait (at about 9am). While we waited we read the stories on the walls in the Makahiki room. When we entered we got our picture with Mickey (which we could purchase for $30 and then get put on our photopass - although they did offer to take a picture with our camera), and across the way we saw Stitch taking pictures (too bad he couldn't come to the breakfast - I love the Ohana Breakfast with Stitch at the Polynesian).

Mickey Waffles!

This breakfast only had Mickey (when you enter), Minnie, and Goofy (plus Aunty, who provides some really upbeat and cheerful entertainment with lots of participation opportunities for kids). Comparing it to the other character breakfasts it doesn't come close (I think my favorite interactions are at 1900 Park Fair, although here they each had a handler to take pics for us) and comparing it food-wise I think Chef Mickey's and Tuskar House have a much better selection of food. DH really liked the food though, he was so happy he got rice and Dim Sum for breakfast. The worst part was the bill, considering we always get the dining plan and never get a bill at WDW!!!

Back to the room to shower and prepare for our drive to North Shore! The drive up there was about 45mph, sometimes 35mph, so it was hard keep the foot off the gas!

Lots of time to enjoy the view!

At some point after the North Shore sign traffic gets really backed up, and I'm unsure why (although it could be all the people darting across the road, cutting through traffic). We had a ways to go past that first North Shore sign to get to the shrimp trucks though. We (and by we, I mean DH) ate at Romy's (it was actually a building though, not a truck).

Menu

He got the (mild) spicy shrimp and it came with a drink and two scoops of white rice. I got a salad of mixed greens and croutons and a side of Italian dressing. DH liked his shrimp (but it seemed a lot of effort to de-head, shell and sometimes de-vein them). This place also served huge prawns, so don't take any sea-life loving children there! DH actually said that the shrimp at the Polynesian was better (and less effort).

Next we had to find the turtles. I found online that they go to Lanikai beach, but my google map directions weren't that great. We finally looked at my print-out from the site and were able to find exactly where the beach was (we had passed it twice - but it's a little beach off right by the road and there were 3 tents pitched that we had seen and wondered about when we drove past it), and were amazed that there really were 5 giant sea turtles just sitting there in this tiny little area!

They were breathtaking to see, but that's coming from a turtle lover. We could have stayed there forever gawking, but when a bus unloaded and it got super crowded (there was already a nice little crowd) we left.

On the way back from North Shore

On the way back it was time for dole whips (and time for me to get food in my belly). At the Dole Whip plantation I got my dole whip (no swirl though, which was sad because I love the vanilla and pineapple flavours together) and a hotdog (which I can't properly review because by then I was just so hungry!) and DH got a dole whip float in a plastic pineapple souvenir cup. We got there pretty late (4:30 and it closes at 5:30) so doing everything wasn't an option (besides, I was only there for the Dole Whip, lol) but once you get there and see the pineapples you start thinking you'd like to know how those pineapples grow, so if we had more time we probably would have done one of the tours, but instead we decided to do the maze (dole whip in my hand, dole whip float in DHs).

There are about 6 stations that you are supposed to find and then stencil the proof onto your card. We found 2, but we also weren't trying (actually, I was trying to get us lost to see how long it would take us to find our way out lol). At one part we rounded a corner and almost walked right into a peacock! We were pretty startled lol.

Maze guard

We found another way around her and then heard the next couple encounter the peacock (well, we heard them shriek). No idea if that peacock lives in the maze or was just lost herself. Was the maze worth the $13? I guess, it was fun for a 1-time thing, but we'd only do it again if we had kids to take through it too.

Back in the car - this time to Target for groceries.

Hawaiian Target

We found the prices just a bit more than our normal prices at home in Winnipeg. We got all the essentials, plus the things that I should have brought but overlooked (swim shoes, goggles).

Back at the hotel we quickly put away the groceries and changed into our swim suits for a lap around the lazy river before it closed (we got in it at 7:40 and it closes at 8!).

Then we hoped in the beautiful hot tub to look out at the dark beach and relax. After that we went and laid in chairs to rest and enjoy the night - clear sky, big almost-full moon.

DH went to get towels and was told he needs a wristband every day (whoops! We forgot about that before we got in the river!) and even though we were done swimming she still give him his daily wristband. We laid by the pool (which was open till 11) for a bit, until I realized if I stayed any longer I wouldn't be able to get up (I was falling asleep, it was so peaceful).

We were in bed by 9pm (2am our time)!

Up Next: Diamond Head, Koko Crater Botanical Garden, and Manoa Trail

*A word on jet lag: I did a little research on jet lag before we left. I knew we would feel off and have weird sleep patterns. We didnt try to adjust our sleep/wake patterns before we left, but we did make sure to stay hydrated on our travel day. We also normally avoid caffeine and didnt partake in alcoholic beverages, so Id like to say the only problem we had was waking up early and going to bed early. They say it takes one day for every hour off, and it seemed to be true because by the end we were sleeping in more and staying up later!

Thanks, keep it coming. I would love to see more photos, read about the food and hear about how diificult it was to get free beach chairs.

Just in case I don't address those topics later I can tell you now that food was so-so. DH LOVED everything, but he loves food in general and especially asian food. I found it hard to find food I liked (from the 2 stores, quick service, and buffet) but there was grilled chicken on the Private Dining (room service) menu that was REALLY good. I had the kids meal chicken and fries one day and a grilled chicken salad another and they were both superb. Then I tried to get the grilled chicken and fries kids meal from Poolside dining and it was NOT the same. I don't know if this is a Phase 1 thing, or if it will always be like that (probably from different kitchens serving the food). Picky eaters (like me) might not be very happy with the food, but adventurous eaters will probably be in love with it.

As far as the free chairs, there were PLENTY the whole time we were there. There were always chairs available around the pool, we always could get an umbrella table to eat lunch at by the pool if we wanted, and there were always beach chairs available (either set up and empty, or folded up for anyone to take out and use by the grass) by the cove. Of course, "always" for us was Sunday-Friday, so I would guess weekends would be busier.

what's the sunset time? I notice that it's quite dark by 7:30pm!

Love the report! Can't wait to be there in 3 weeks.

what's the sunset time? I notice that it's quite dark by 7:30pm!

Love the report! Can't wait to be there in 3 weeks.

Thanks! You will have a great time! The sunset was between 6 & 6:20 every day, which was good since we were adjusting to the time change and liked going to bed pretty early every day. The resort got really quiet after 7 - there was almost no one to be seen by 9pm!

loving every word!

Thanks! I'm so glad you are enjoying it!

I am loving your trip report! It's really informative -- thank you!

We're planning to go to Aulani in 2014 for an anniversary trip.

Looking forward to more. Deciding on either a cruise or Hawaii next year with Disney of course.

That looks like a lot of fun. OK, you sold me, we're going next year. Thanks!

:cheer2: loving your TR. Keep it coming....

Looking forward to the rest of your report!

Thanks! I appreciate the encouragement! Otherwise I might have just decided to go to bed early tonight to try to catch up on my zzzz's that Aulani stole :)

I am loving your trip report! It's really informative -- thank you!

We're planning to go to Aulani in 2014 for an anniversary trip.

You'll have so much fun! It's a really great place to spend your anniversary - it seemed like the majority of couples there were celebrating an anniversary!

Looking forward to more. Deciding on either a cruise or Hawaii next year with Disney of course.

That is a hard choice! Our first couple days at Aulani I sort of wished we'd done the cruise (because the cruise has much more Disney/Mickey feel to it than Aulani does) but I think it was just the jet lag talking! Aulani and Hawaii were amazing! We will still plan a cruise in the next few years (hopefully) but if we had to choose between the two I think the deciding factors would be (for us) if we want to drive around and do a lot of nature stuff, or if we'd rather relax on a boat with fancy (prepaid) meals and a bit more down time. Honestly, I think either choice will make for happy people!

That looks like a lot of fun. OK, you sold me, we're going next year. Thanks!

Yay! It was tons of fun!

I woke up on Monday at 4:15 am, because I remembered I forgot to charge the camera! (I did bring a second camera, just in case the first one broke or ran out of battery, but my main one is ruggedized and waterproof so I really didnt want to have to take the second one! Luckily it got fully charged in the 2 hours before we left that morning). We drank coffee and tea on the porch, while listening to the sounds all around us (the water and wind) and seeing Aulani get brighter with the colors light up (green grass, tan beaches, blue ocean). Its just so relaxing to enjoy the mornings slowly but we did want to get to Diamond Head (as what we read recommended you get there as close to the 6am opening as possible).

We got to Diamond Head and paid to park (they are cash only, $1.00 per person to get in or $5.00 per car to park and get in). They actually had a line waiting to park, but we werent waiting very long as car #4 in line (there were many people parking well before the gate and walking through the tunnel, but we chose to just wait to park). In my reading I learned that this hike is considered easy to moderate. I would say that it was moderate going up, easy going down (soooo much easier going down!) The path starts off pretty smooth, and then gets a bit rockier.

We were getting a bit of rain too which made us a little weary at the prospect of slipping (or rocks coming loose and falling on our head).

There were handrails in some places, but there was traffic going up and down the small paths at the same time (and only handrails on one side or the other at a time). Before you get to the stairs portion of the trail there is a pretty nice lookout.

The little ledge you can stand on to look out further!

Then you hit the fun part 99 stairs, followed by a dark tunnel, followed by 76 more stairs (these ones seemed even steeper than the first set), followed by entrance into the bunker area and a trip up a metal creepy spiral staircase (again, with traffic going both ways).

I dont know this person, but I wanted to show you how you have to exit the bunker

Then you crawl out of the bunker (theres no door, you have to bend over to get out) and you step into the most beautiful view! You can climb some more stairs to get higher and different views. It was definitely worth all those stairs!

The bowl of the crater

Looking over the ocean and Waikiki

After Diamond Head (we were there for about 2 hours) we headed east to Koko Crater. On the way we passed Halona Blowhole and parked to watch (the Halona Blowhole is spouting water from waves crashing and moving through the natural lava tubes). It was awesome to see, and fun when everyone cheered for the eruption!

We traveled along the cost a bit more to sightsee (or because we passed our turn, who knows...) and got out to turn around and take pictures of the Seabird Sanctuaries (if you look on a map, youll see we went well past KoKo Botanical Gardens, lol).

Me and DH with sanctuaries in the background

By the time we finally found Koko Crater (it was pretty hard to find as there werent very many signs to guide you there) we were both edging on hungry and tired, and needing a reapplication of sunscreen (at least we brought water so we werent thirsty, although we did have to be wary that Koko Crater has no restrooms). As long as we were there we decided to go ahead and just stop somewhere for food as soon as we were done (as there didnt seem to be anything close by). The crater was pretty cool to tour! There were lots of pretty flowers (tons of Plumeria), and then some other interesting plants, cacti, and trees.

Cacti, and you can see the crater bowl circling us

Plumeria

It was also fun (and hot) to be in the crater (you could look in all directions and see that you were in a bowl). I dont know how Koko would rate compared to other botanical gardens, but we enjoyed it.

Next up (after food... which was McDonalds... I know... we should have eaten something healthier or at least more Hawaiian, but we were both desperate for something fast!) was the Manoa Trail. I LOVED the rainforest hike! It was otherworldly to see such huge trees and all the foliage.

Huge Trees

The trail was pretty rugged though, even though my research said it was easy. I guess the hike was pretty easy, but the path was sometimes very thin (washed away), often waterlogged (we wondered when we started why people kept coming off the path with their shoes and legs covered in mud), and also a little precarious (steep steps that required a little jumping from my short stature, or rocks that required some careful attention before you used them as steps).

The entire trail was worth it though (if you are into plants, bamboo, and trees) and pretty fulfilling at the end when you finally reached the waterfall.

Unlike Diamond Head though, where going down was easier than going up, Mano seemed more difficult to go down to me (as, like I said, some steps I would have to jump down, and some rocks Id have to jump down). It was still fun though. I was glad we saved it until the end of our day though, as we did end up covered in mud from the knees down!

We went right back to Aulani to shower and then we headed to the pool to relax.

Wailana Quiet Pool

Makai Preserve (Manta Rays)

Then we went to the tiered hot tub to watch the sunset (after we got our wristbands, of course). There were a decent amount of people around watching the sunset, but I wouldnt call it crowded (it was just more people than I had seen in once place at one time at Aulani). The sunset really was beautiful to watch, and the view in the hot tub was great!

Aulani Sunset

We finished our night by taking a spin on the water slide, floating the lazy river, and checking out the fire before we headed off to bed.

Whoo waterslide photos didnt come out so well!

Up Next: Laniwai Spa and Paradise Cove Luau

*DH realized that our studio was different than what was pictured in the floor plan wed seen online. The floor plan showed the balcony at an angle off the room, but the first two buildings of the resort actually have their balcony facing straight on. It wasnt a big deal, we just found it interesting. One explanation (besides the simple fact that there are 2 versions of the studio and they didnt release both in the publications) is that our room did have an indoor door on it that would have lead to the next room over (making it a 2-bedroom lock off).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter