Leit's Aulani Trip Report

I wish Aulani would offer the Starlight Hui at least one weekend night. We're only there for the weekend in January so we'll miss it.:sad1:

I wish Aulani would offer the Starlight Hui at least one weekend night. We're only there for the weekend in January so we'll miss it.:sad1:
Ditto this ... we'll be on Oahu Fri-Mon and will miss the Starlit Hui ... oh well.

rparmfamily, thanks for the jackets hint ... its been raining here on Maui all weekend so I'm planning on bringing mine anyways (plus I lived in Manoa in the 90's so its hard for me to remember what Oahu looks like without rain clouds!) Will pack jeans and long t-shirts too and plan on spending lots of time in the infinity jacuzzis! :rolleyes1

I was wondering if you purchased your Paradise cove luau tickets in advanced and where you purchased them. I have a 25% off coupon but not sure if it's cheaper to purchase them through a discount place online.

Thanks again

Thanks for the great info! I've taken a page of notes for when we go. :banana:
If you think of anything else you forgot to mention, feel free to add to your thread! ;)

Can't thank you enough for taking the time to write this report! This has been one of the most enjoyable, interesting and informational reports of any report for any disney trip. My family and I leave next week and are really looking forward to it. We have two little one DD6 and DS4, so will be a very special trip. Thanks again and happy holidays!

Oh I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I hope you had a great vacation!

Definitely bring a light jacket for nights, and even a pair of pants (for me, yoga pants or something comfortable) to sit and watch the Starlight Hui. The breezes off the ocean can be chilly!

Yes, it did get chilly, but so nice. Ah... I wish I were there now! When can I start planning my next trip? lol :love:

Hopefully they will start offering it more often! It's certainly good enough!

My guess is they don't offer it more because they do weddings at the same spot.

I didn't know that! We weren't lucky enough to see weddings while I was there!

Ditto this ... we'll be on Oahu Fri-Mon and will miss the Starlit Hui ... oh well.

rparmfamily, thanks for the jackets hint ... its been raining here on Maui all weekend so I'm planning on bringing mine anyways (plus I lived in Manoa in the 90's so its hard for me to remember what Oahu looks like without rain clouds!) Will pack jeans and long t-shirts too and plan on spending lots of time in the infinity jacuzzis! :rolleyes1

We spent lots of time hopping from the jacuzzis to the beach chairs. It was so nice to sit in the chairs and feel the breeze

I was wondering if you purchased your Paradise cove luau tickets in advanced and where you purchased them. I have a 25% off coupon but not sure if it's cheaper to purchase them through a discount place online.

Thanks again

I got mine through the excursions desk (we called a few months in advance). I'm guessing you can get cheaper deals elsewhere with your coupon. Since you find your own way there (most people seemed to just walk down the road to it) I wasn't really sure what the advantage was to going through Aulani (besides convenience).

Thanks for the great info! I've taken a page of notes for when we go. :banana:
If you think of anything else you forgot to mention, feel free to add to your thread! ;)

I'm so glad that you enjoyed it! I did still need to add my last day info and pics (Nov/Dec was really busy around here!) My favorite part of the last day was the lounge - there were lockers to store everything and showers and everything so you could still enjoy the resort if you had a late flight!

I'm glad you're not done yet. I just realized that if we're thinking of going next March, I should really be finalizing some dates in the next few months. August will be here before I know it and I'll be calling in to book my stay! I'll have to revisit your TR while planning for ours, you did a lot of fun things!

Thanks for the thorough trip report, Leit! The excitement is hitting a fever-pitch for me. My wife ... she's refusing to allow herself to get too excited until we're closer.

I enjoyed reading these reports, but I must say, you are braver than I trying to do Hawaii in a week! I always think it takes too long to adjust to the time change for a trip that short. We tried that our first time to the Islands, and quickly learned it was too short. Our last trip was 3 weeks, but our next one we'll be back to 2 weeks because we can't afford more time than that.

You definitely have me looking forward to Aulani.

Fantastic trip report!!!!! We are going to be in Hawaii in April so I'm really thinking of hopping a bus from Waikiki with my daughter and staying a night at Aulani. This trip report has definitely helped make my mind up! :)

Just found your TR and I must say it is absolutely fantastic! DW and I are going to Aulani for our 30th anniversary in Sept, 2012 and you have given us plenty of ideas for activities. Thanks so much.

OMG that resort is to die for! You guys packed a lot into your days, looks like a lot of fun. Food loked yummy and the views are just amazing. Im sad to see it end LOL

I'm glad you're not done yet. I just realized that if we're thinking of going next March, I should really be finalizing some dates in the next few months. August will be here before I know it and I'll be calling in to book my stay! I'll have to revisit your TR while planning for ours, you did a lot of fun things!

Thanks for reminding me that I never did the summary post! I'm going to put that on my to-do list for the summer (after my Disneyland trip next week)! You're so lucky to be planning for Aulani, I wish another trip there was on my radar!

Thanks for the thorough trip report, Leit! The excitement is hitting a fever-pitch for me. My wife ... she's refusing to allow herself to get too excited until we're closer.

I'm glad you enjoyed the TR! Did you enjoy your trip? Did you do a TR?

I enjoyed reading these reports, but I must say, you are braver than I trying to do Hawaii in a week! I always think it takes too long to adjust to the time change for a trip that short. We tried that our first time to the Islands, and quickly learned it was too short. Our last trip was 3 weeks, but our next one we'll be back to 2 weeks because we can't afford more time than that.

You definitely have me looking forward to Aulani.

One week was very short! We usually do about 9 days for any vacation and figure that two days are wasted on travel, but the travel days and jet lag for Hawaii was no joke. We kind of just ran through it so fast that it all feels like a dream. I'd love to go for longer next time!

Excellent trip report, thank-you!!

You're welcome, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

During your hike did you see children doing it as well? Do you think it safe for kids ages 7 and 11?

I saw more small children on the rainforest hike (as it seemed like parents could go slower and pick their children up more). I'm not sure if Diamond Head would be good for that age with all of the stairs and ledges - I don't remember seeing many higher up (but remember some at the begining - maybe parents only go so far and then turn around).

Fantastic trip report!!!!! We are going to be in Hawaii in April so I'm really thinking of hopping a bus from Waikiki with my daughter and staying a night at Aulani. This trip report has definitely helped make my mind up! :)

Thanks! Did you end up staying at Aulani?

Just found your TR and I must say it is absolutely fantastic! DW and I are going to Aulani for our 30th anniversary in Sept, 2012 and you have given us plenty of ideas for activities. Thanks so much.

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it! You will have such a great time in September!

thank you for this. we are going 10/12

You're welcome! I wish I were going again in October, you will have so much fun!

OMG that resort is to die for! You guys packed a lot into your days, looks like a lot of fun. Food loked yummy and the views are just amazing. Im sad to see it end LOL

It was so wonderful, and I'm sad it ended too! I miss it so much (I wish I could LIVE there lol)!

Thanks for all the lovely comments everyone! I'm glad this TR still lives! Is there any way a Mod can move it to the DVC Trip Reports section? I'm loving the separate Trip Report area! :goodvibes

Awesome report! I loved reading every bit of it. My DF and I plan to honeymoon there so this helped me a lot! The resort and views are gorgeous and you two looked like you had a blast! I am looking forward to your last installment. :goodvibes

I too enjoyed your trip report! We just decided we will be going in Oct 2012! Some really good tips! Thank you! I have an odd question, did you see anybody BBQing their own food? Do they have BBQs for DVC guests to use? TIA :)

Hello! I also read your report and loved it! Very well written and informative. :goodvibes

Did you feel like a lot of the activities you did could have been booked once you were on the island for maybe cheaper than through Disney?

I am trying to do just about as many things as you guys did, but we wanted to try to make this trip a little more affordable.

Thanks!!

Awesome report! I loved reading every bit of it. My DF and I plan to honeymoon there so this helped me a lot! The resort and views are gorgeous and you two looked like you had a blast! I am looking forward to your last installment. :goodvibes

Thank you! :goodvibes Summary will be up this weekend, I swear it!

I too enjoyed your trip report! We just decided we will be going in Oct 2012! Some really good tips! Thank you! I have an odd question, did you see anybody BBQing their own food? Do they have BBQs for DVC guests to use? TIA :)

Thank you - I hope you have a great time. I wish I was going back in October! :)

I don't remember anyone BBQing or any BBQs. I'll go back through my pictures and if I find anything I'll post it up!

Hello! I also read your report and loved it! Very well written and informative. :goodvibes

Did you feel like a lot of the activities you did could have been booked once you were on the island for maybe cheaper than through Disney?

I am trying to do just about as many things as you guys did, but we wanted to try to make this trip a little more affordable.

Thanks!!

Thank you! :goodvibes

We did a bunch of stuff without Adventures by Disney, and then two with them. The two excursions that we did (Kualoa Ranch and Hawaii Fire Surf School) could have been booked cheaper outside of Disney, but what made it really nice was that we didn't have to worry about driving ourselves (or finding parking) those days, and we also got great tour guides. That being said, we did Paradise Cove Luau, North Shore, Diamond Head, and the Botanical gardens ourselves and we had a good time (it was nice to be able to turn off the road and take pictures wherever we wanted and spend as much or as little time there as we wanted). If you are looking for deals I know a lot of people recommend getting the Hawaii Entertainment book. No matter what, you're going to have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter