Leit's Aulani Trip Report

*So it has taken me 8 months to admit that my trip is over and finally complete this TR! Luckily I had prewritten mostly everything while we were there and taken lots of pictures, otherwise I dont think I would have remembered what we did!

On our last day in Aulani we woke up at almost 7am. We ordered private dining to the room and worked on packing while we waited for breakfast to arrive.

Menu

Our food came (DH had the Chinese breakfast, I had the two egg entree with bacon and Aulani potatoes) and we enjoyed it with our tea (green, for him) and cofee (decaf with caramel creamer for me) and with our last view over the resort for this trip. We kept telling ourselves that we would be back, and it was hard to hold back from running down and buying Aulani points!

Breakfast

Our last morning on the balcony

The other side

Beautiful Ocean

The view of the Mouse

I did our shopping in the gift shop (and got the $20 Aulani tote - it's such a nice little bag!) and we completed our packing.

Gift Shop

Love the ceilings

While we usually feel blue when faced with vacation ending, we felt even more sad to be leaving this time. At least we knew we were just leaving the room right now and would still have the rest of the day by the pool and in the Luana Lounge.

A last look at the room

We took our change of clothes (we were wearing our swim suits) to the Luana lounge, where they not only have TVs, power plugs, computers for airplane check-in, and showers, but they also have lockers - the same as the kind in the spa (4 digit electronic code for locking). The lockers are plenty big enough to keep your change of clothes and other things for the day.

I was really excited about these

Then we took our luggage to bell services and just checked to make sure there was no problem with us using the pool and facilities. The front desk assured us that we were still welcome to use everything, even our room keys until midnight. So we headed off to the pool for a last trip around the lazy river, a dip in the pools, some relaxing in the tiered hot tub, and then poolside dining.

Swimming

In the Hot Tub

Panorama while waiting for poolside dining

Just as we were finishing up eating it started to rain so we headed to the Luana Lounge to change (which was pretty crowded, since lots of people had the same idea), and then we took a last trip to the ABC store across the street for souvenirs and airplane snacks.

Walking back from the ABC Store

At the front of the resort

On our way back we took a few more pictures, then relaxed in the lounge (checking e-mail, writing this TR, and watching Disney XD).

This is it

its really over :(

One last look

The parking lot / mountain view

Crazy Traffic

It was a slow and relaxing (if not bittersweet) end to our lovely vacation.

Last Up: Conclusion

Looking back now, 8 months later, I think it was an amazing vacation that I would do again in a second (especially since I’m hoping the new restaurants might have food better suited for a picky eater like myself). If I had it in the budget right now, I would be buying Aulani points and planning on going there every other year. I’m trying really hard to remind myself that there are other vacations and other places to visit and enjoy… but for anyone else on the fence about going my answer to you is YES – GO! :banana:

The following are final thoughts that I had noted while writing the TR while in Hawaii:

• Don't forget to bring your water stuff! Water shoes, goggles, beach mat or blanket, (this should be a "duh", but I'd never used them on other vacations so I figured they'd be a waste of space). It would have been really nice to have stuff like this while we were driving around the island.

• The Aulani Cast Members were some of the best I’ve ever encountered. Our vacation would have been awesome anyway, but they definitely gave it that Disney Magic. RJ (who greeted us at the desk), Janelle (who taught us to make leis in the community hall), and Eki (our Adventures by Disney guide both days) are three who’s names I remember, and they are the ideal Disney Cast Members for their willingness to share information about the resort and the Hawaiian culture as well as their extreme friendliness. Another cast member we would group in here would be the guy who works at Aunty’s Beach House and was playing the Ukele when we came in for our tour – he was very informative and had tons of stories and tips of where to tour the island, but we unfortunately did not remember his name. Two more are the spa attendants – they were so nice! In general everyone there was nice, almost everyone we passed greeted us warmly with “Aloha,” but these people were especially great and made our vacation that much more enjoyable! If you travel there and see any of these folks be sure to say hi for me – and for yourself, as I’m sure they will continue to spread the magic!

• The only “Disney Friend” we didn’t get to see was Donald. They do list him in the IWA when characters are doing meet and greets, but we didn’t stand in any lines to meet characters (we just did the breakfast and the Starlight Hui).

• Disney has really done a great job of making a wonderful experience in Aulani. As it was our first trip to Hawaii I can’t really compare to other resorts on the islands, but I can compare to other hotels and condos I’ve stayed in at other vacation locations. Not only was it clean and the cast members friendly, but there was so much to look at and discover. There was so much to learn and so much out there to teach you. They really facilitate getting out and enjoying the island.

• If I could add one thing it would be a “American” quick service food place – one that serves more “plain” stuff for picky eaters like myself. Even if they didn’t want to serve deep fried chicken tenders, they could serve the grilled ones that they had on the Private dining kids menu. Or even a plain sandwich place (although the ABC store offered that). If you have picky eaters in your family I would recommend a room with a full kitchen and getting groceries to prepare meals. *this original note is hopefully fulfilled with the new Mama’s Snack Shop – I’m hoping to see TRs featuring this food so I know for next time

Thank you to everyone that has commented on the trip report. If it hadn’t been for so many people telling me they enjoyed it or that it helped them plan their trip I’d probably never have been motivated to come back and finish these last two posts! If anyone has any questions feel free to ask, I’ll answer as best I can! :thanks:

Next up for me (and you too, if you decide to join me): Grand Californian 2-day Trip Report!

I enjoyed your report and you're being stronger than I as we've already booked our second trip to Aulani for this December. I can't wait to show it off to the couple going with us.

I'd love to have points from Aulani, but I'd have to sell our AKV points in order to buy Aulani so for now we are booking at the 7 month window.

I enjoyed your report and you're being stronger than I as we've already booked our second trip to Aulani for this December. I can't wait to show it off to the couple going with us.

I'd love to have points from Aulani, but I'd have to sell our AKV points in order to buy Aulani so for now we are booking at the 7 month window.

You are so lucky! I really do wish I were going again, but we just did a family trip in California, and we are taking my in-laws to WDW for their first trip in December. I hope you have a great second trip - let me know all about the improvements and additions!

The hard part to our next trip is saying "No" when we attend the sales presentation at the Westin in Maui for an every other year. It would go so well with trips to Aulani. Give me strength! I love the Westin on Maui and Kauai, their studios have washer/dryers so you can get two weeks by using the studio one week and the one bedroom the other.

The hard part to our next trip is saying "No" when we attend the sales presentation at the Westin in Maui for an every other year. It would go so well with trips to Aulani. Give me strength! I love the Westin on Maui and Kauai, their studios have washer/dryers so you can get two weeks by using the studio one week and the one bedroom the other.

I know exactly what you mean! Stay strong (till you win the lotto!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!