Kinda crazy Q... is it possible to experience Disney w/o "Disney"?

My son would be so sad to be so close and not go to parks. Especially since it isn’t pool weather for us after November. What I would enjoy as an adult, resort hopping, at 10 he would
Be bored quickly. What about instead a night at something like great wolf lodge? 2 fun days in the water park with only one night hotel stay.

I can see wanting to give her anything she wants after such a trying year but would it be better to go when you can afford park tickets? Even if it means staying offsite to help with costs?

Good luck!

I don't have kids, but I 100% agree with this. Especially since the OP said she's not even sure they could swing a meal at Boma.

Do as another poster mentioned - Disney-at-home weekend and save the money for a very special trip next year.

Hi, you all are so sweet to help us! Honestly, we would not set up a GoFundMe... even through Ava's illness we did not do that... we asked for help watching our other daughter, and for prayers (and they worked!!!) and at one point I *almost* asked for meals, but we never accepted the few offers of GoFundMe accounts that people made. If we were having trouble getting food for our children, etc. we would have no problem doing so, but my husband works so hard to provide, and at all times he was prepared to get a 2nd job, if necessary, so we are okay. I definitely would not ask for others to share in our vacation expense though. I know your thoughts were kind, so I hope I am not hurting you by saying that... I know you are coming from a place of love :)

I am so excited about these ideas, though! I really think we *might* be able to pull this off.

I'm so glad your daughter is doing better! I'm doing a similar January trip, with our limited budget. Three nights at CBR without tickets to the parks. CBR is under construction so it's much cheaper ( I got a rate for $124 a night with a pin). We're going to "splurge" on refillable mugs, three for our family of five, and the resort has Coke freestyle machines around for a cheap thrill :) We're doing a day at Disney Springs, including taking the boat to Port Orleans -Sassagoula River Cruise. A day at Animal Kingdom, doing as many activities as we can (some of them reward you with collectible beads). A day at Fort Wilderness, there's a cheaper group wagon ride at 6pm we might do, fitting in a boat ride to MK and taking the monorail from there just for the fun of it. If there's a warm day, we'll swim at the resort's nice pool, there are characters at the pool Mondays and Wednesday from 1-3pm (not guaranteed). We'll do the campfire either at CBR or the one at FW if the day that we're there works for it, and movie under the stars. Watching the fireworks from the resort or TTC one night. I also ordered a big set of (cheap) pins for my kids to split up and do pin trading wherever we can find it. We're doing one meal out (ice cream at T-Rex) and bringing food to eat in the room and/or pack to bring with us for the rest of the time. It won't be the same as a parks trip, but I really want to do Disney and this is what we can afford! I bet we'll have a ton of fun and I'm sure you can set up a "Disney" trip without paying for tickets, too. Just make sure your daughter is on board with the idea, maybe she'd like to help plan the out-of-park ideas. Good luck!

Resort hopping. It's one of the things we always do when we go. We usually go in December and seeing all of the resort decorations is really part of a Disney vacation for us.

If your budget extends to it, do a character breakfast at one of the resort restaurants that offers it. At least she'd get to see some characters.

Tons of ways to do it and WBC is a great option. Decorate the room Disney, resort hop especially AKL and the monorail loop, Disney Springs.

Thanks everyone, I am grateful for the ideas. I will adjust expectations, and then overshoot, and so I think my girls will be over the moon, in the end!!!!

Hi all. We have been to Disney 3x (last time I planned the trip for 35 people!).

My 12 year old just spent over 300 days in the hospital (over the past year) with a brain illness. She is recovering, and wants Disney. We cannot afford Disney this year, so we would like to do this: drive down (we are in PA), stay somewhere with a great pool and inexpensive rates (Wyndham Bonnet Creek?) and just be *near* Disney. I do not think we will be disappointed. In the past we had Disney hotel and park tickets, but will have neither this year. I would love your input, in case I am missing something.

My question to you: do you have any ideas how I can make this "feel" like a Disney vacation, without spending much money (or even getting *into* Disney)? I am thinking just breathing the Disney Springs air will be good enough for my husband and I. I hope my daughters feel the same? I know they will love some pool time, as we missed all that over the (difficult) summer, so they will already be so grateful for that. Plus, just the fact that we get to vacation together as a family after a long year - they will appreciate that. I think this year, we are a much more grateful and humble family than in the past! We are looking at mid-December (or January). Thanks all!
Is Disney on Ice coming to your town anytime soon? That might temporarily satisfy your Disney fix...

If you have a positive attitude, so will your girls. I say go for it! We made up a scavenger hunt one year when we had more resort time, and our three children loved that! There is so much to do at Disney beyond the parks that the children will have a great time being together as a family.

If funds allow, have you considered a water park day? Gives the feel of a Park day, but for a lot less.

Have a wonderful time!!

I know it’s not for everyone, but we did a Disney without Disney trip last year by camping at Fort Wilderness. We were able to watch the fireworks, (Wishes at the time) at the beach several nights. We hung out at the pool. We went to Animal Kingdom Lodge to watch the animals and eat at the Mara. We spent time at Disney Springs. We had a wonderful trip. We all knew, (kids included) what this trip entailed and what we weren’t doing. Disney without Disney can be done and it can be VERY enjoyable. If your family needs a getaway and this is what will do it, then have at it! Have a wonderful time and enjoy spending time with your family!

I'm so glad your daughter is doing better! I'm doing a similar January trip, with our limited budget. Three nights at CBR without tickets to the parks. CBR is under construction so it's much cheaper ( I got a rate for $124 a night with a pin). We're going to "splurge" on refillable mugs, three for our family of five, and the resort has Coke freestyle machines around for a cheap thrill :) We're doing a day at Disney Springs, including taking the boat to Port Orleans -Sassagoula River Cruise. A day at Animal Kingdom, doing as many activities as we can (some of them reward you with collectible beads). A day at Fort Wilderness, there's a cheaper group wagon ride at 6pm we might do, fitting in a boat ride to MK and taking the monorail from there just for the fun of it. If there's a warm day, we'll swim at the resort's nice pool, there are characters at the pool Mondays and Wednesday from 1-3pm (not guaranteed). We'll do the campfire either at CBR or the one at FW if the day that we're there works for it, and movie under the stars. Watching the fireworks from the resort or TTC one night. I also ordered a big set of (cheap) pins for my kids to split up and do pin trading wherever we can find it. We're doing one meal out (ice cream at T-Rex) and bringing food to eat in the room and/or pack to bring with us for the rest of the time. It won't be the same as a parks trip, but I really want to do Disney and this is what we can afford! I bet we'll have a ton of fun and I'm sure you can set up a "Disney" trip without paying for tickets, too. Just make sure your daughter is on board with the idea, maybe she'd like to help plan the out-of-park ideas. Good luck!

Awesome plan! You are making me want to plan a Disney without Disney trip!

OP, you seem like such a positive person. If you are positive and excited, I think your kids will be positive and excited. I am so glad that your daughter is feeling better. Blessings to your family!

I love your idea OP! There are lots of ideas to have fun at Disney without the parks....as long as the kids are ok with your budget trip, it'll be fun! pools, relaxing, disney springs, a special meal somewhere daily(you can even do a character meal out of the parks! treats, playing mini golf, going to movies, watching fireworks shows from outside some of the parks...like an example might be hanging out at Boardwalk area for a few hours one evening- find one of the free resort movies (one of the hotels there usually plays one) eating somewhere yummy (so many choices right there,including swan and dolphin restaurants) just walking the lake area, enjoying the pretty views, sitting on the 'beach' there.... watching the performers at night, watching the higher epcot fireworks...eating ice cream at the new ice cream place there....(have I mentioned the ice cream?) my point is there is a lot of enjoyment without the parks too. You could spend a day riding the various boats between MK and the campground,just for fun! (or rent a mouseboat for 1/2 an hour,what a fun thing for kids)

Lots of wonderful ideas on this thread! It is so nice that your daughter is better now and out of the hospital. May God continue to bless her and the rest of your family. It sounds like this trip is a great chance for you and your family to relax, reconnect and just enjoy being with each other and experiencing new things. Like another poster has said, you are going into this with a positive attitude that is grateful for the chance to go on a vacation together. Like another poster, this trip may end up being one of your family's favorite ones. I say go for it!

I think this type of Disney trip might be great for my family too. There are so many things we don't get a chance to see and check out because when we go we only go every four years or so and try to get the most out of our tickets. Going to Disney without buying tickets gives you a chance to experience all the other great things. Then you can plan your next trip to ride all the rides.

I am thinking that the OP's daughter might not be up for all the rides in the parks anyway since she had such a long extensive hospital stay. Many of the rides might jerk her around too much. So, this will give the family the Disney fix and give them all a chance to relax together and make great memories. Kids at that age love to go and explore and so they might not miss the rides at all since they will be going from place to place and seeing the characters and stuff anyway.

OP, and everyone who gave great ideas on what to see and do, you have really made me start to think about doing this same thing myself. :thumbsup2

Hi all. We have been to Disney 3x (last time I planned the trip for 35 people!).

My 12 year old just spent over 300 days in the hospital (over the past year) with a brain illness. She is recovering, and wants Disney. We cannot afford Disney this year, so we would like to do this: drive down (we are in PA), stay somewhere with a great pool and inexpensive rates (Wyndham Bonnet Creek?) and just be *near* Disney. I do not think we will be disappointed. In the past we had Disney hotel and park tickets, but will have neither this year. I would love your input, in case I am missing something.

My question to you: do you have any ideas how I can make this "feel" like a Disney vacation, without spending much money (or even getting *into* Disney)? I am thinking just breathing the Disney Springs air will be good enough for my husband and I. I hope my daughters feel the same? I know they will love some pool time, as we missed all that over the (difficult) summer, so they will already be so grateful for that. Plus, just the fact that we get to vacation together as a family after a long year - they will appreciate that. I think this year, we are a much more grateful and humble family than in the past! We are looking at mid-December (or January). Thanks all!

Have to agree with the others that it seems cruel to take her, but not take her. She knows how close the Parks are, if you're regulars. I would think if she said, "Disney", she did not mean, "stay off-site, be reminded constantly that WDW is a few miles away, and NOT get to go." I would think that "just breathing the Disney Springs air will be good enough" sounds like a torturous option. Probably won't make good memories either, "the year that I asked for a special trip post-illness and they rented a hotel room just close enough that I could see MK and NOT go in".

I agree with the others, make something local a special celebration this year, and save up for a Disney trip in which you can actually CELEBRATE and not just practice "humble gratitude" - cuz I gotta say, as noble and self-sacrificing as that idea is, it's going to go right out the window when someone sees something Disney...

WDW is for happiness and joy and delight and entertainment, not a place to hold your Only Mickey Bar of the Trip in a death grip while you repeat your mantra of, "so grateful". Leave the real world behind... if you're not able to do that yet, then definitely save up to do so! :)

If you go anytime around Xmas try resort hopping. I do this for one day every trip while the girls shop. Do it around the holidays and you can easily spend a couple of days at the deluxe resorts and ride around the monorail. I showed this to a friend who asked if you had contacted your local Make A Wish organization and check on tickets? Sometimes they can help with things like that even if your daughter is over her illness.

Sorry but my kids would think this was horrible. While they love the resorts when we go to different ones for meals, they wouldn't get much out of resort hopping if they were craving time in the parks which it sounds like she is.

The only way I would consider this is if we stayed on site and did a few character meals or something to at least add that sort of magic to it..

I'm in the camp of save up for a trip when you can afford it and do something more local for now. It sounds like money would be an issue anyway so it just seems like that would be an added layer of stress.

I know it’s not for everyone, but we did a Disney without Disney trip last year by camping at Fort Wilderness. We were able to watch the fireworks, (Wishes at the time) at the beach several nights. We hung out at the pool. We went to Animal Kingdom Lodge to watch the animals and eat at the Mara. We spent time at Disney Springs. We had a wonderful trip. We all knew, (kids included) what this trip entailed and what we weren’t doing. Disney without Disney can be done and it can be VERY enjoyable. If your family needs a getaway and this is what will do it, then have at it! Have a wonderful time and enjoy spending time with your family!

I was going to suggest this as well. The nightly movie and sing-along, Fireworks and the Electrical Parade every night on the beach, lots of great activities at the pool every day, maybe a pony or horse riding excursion, canoeing. It's got a great Disney feel and is so much fun. We've seen lots of folks who are there just for the Fort and never go to a park. Plus you can hop a boat to the Contemporary, and the monorail to the Poly or Grand Floridian.

There are definitely one day park hoppers that schools and organizations get for charity events. Keep an eye out, maybe you can get lucky at a bingo or something! Or those go for cheap on eBay because people win them and then find out they can't be upgraded.

In the OP's situation, I would also postpone a trip and save more money so you can visit the parks. After what DD has been through, I think it will be well worth the wait. If you were wanting to give this as a holiday gift, you could order the planning DVD and some brochures to wrap up as a gift so they know a trip is being planned.

I agree with PP that you can still have fun doing Disney without Disney. We spent a night at WDW after a cruise a few years back, and will be spending a day at Disney Springs while visiting my parents in Tampa this winter. It's certainly better than nothing. But I think this situation warrants a true Disney trip and therefore, I would plan it further out and save more money. Best wishes!

You can do it, and make it fun for everyone. If you could scrape together enough for a character meal you can go to Chef Mickey or 1900 PF for dinner with Cinderella and the gang. You could even look into the BBB. If you go after Christmas you can ask family to give your daughter's Disney gift cards as gifts, too, so you have more spending money for little splurges.

I took my daughter and 3 friends to Disney for her 8th birthday last year just to have dinner with Cinderella at 1900 PF. We flew in for the night and we didn't step foot in the parks. We did the monorail loop and explored the resorts, we had dinner, went back to the Poly, watched the water pageant and fireworks, and the next day we did Disney Springs.

There is a Chip and Dale show at Fort Wilderness for "free" character interaction, too.

I've also spent time at AKL to see the animals. We were caught there during a rain storm and my girls participated in the resort activities in the lobby.

I know the feeling of just NEEDING some Disney -- even if it doesn't involve park tickets. I think you're trip will be great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter