Kinda crazy Q... is it possible to experience Disney w/o "Disney"?

BarbieSmith

Mouseketeer
Hi all. We have been to Disney 3x (last time I planned the trip for 35 people!).

My 12 year old just spent over 300 days in the hospital (over the past year) with a brain illness. She is recovering, and wants Disney. We cannot afford Disney this year, so we would like to do this: drive down (we are in PA), stay somewhere with a great pool and inexpensive rates (Wyndham Bonnet Creek?) and just be *near* Disney. I do not think we will be disappointed. In the past we had Disney hotel and park tickets, but will have neither this year. I would love your input, in case I am missing something.

My question to you: do you have any ideas how I can make this "feel" like a Disney vacation, without spending much money (or even getting *into* Disney)? I am thinking just breathing the Disney Springs air will be good enough for my husband and I. I hope my daughters feel the same? I know they will love some pool time, as we missed all that over the (difficult) summer, so they will already be so grateful for that. Plus, just the fact that we get to vacation together as a family after a long year - they will appreciate that. I think this year, we are a much more grateful and humble family than in the past! We are looking at mid-December (or January). Thanks all!

I don't know. It might be too cold for pool time during your timeframe. I think there are times when it's possible to experience Disney without actually going there, but under the circumstances, would that really be be possible for your family? How does your daughter feel about not actually going into the parks? It's easy to be okay with it now, but would she be sad once she is there? If you really don't think she'll be disappointed, I'd try to go mid December when DS and the hotels are so festive. :)

Whatever you decide, I'm glad your daughter is on the road to recovery. :goodvibes

I'm not sure I could do it. I think I'd want the park time enough that I wouldn't be content with the atmosphere. Have you talked to your kids about the idea? How old are they? This seems like an idea that could be really great or really terrible, with little room for middle ground, depending on the personalities involved.

If you do go, I'd strongly recommend Dec. over Jan. Not only is there more to do outside of the parks in the holiday season, there's also less chance of a cold snap that would keep you out of the pools. Jan. and Feb. are when you're most likely to encounter really cold, pool-closing weather.

In December, it would be nice to take a family walk around Fort Wilderness to check out the decorated campsites, and maybe stay for the campfire with Chip & Dale. There's no charge for the campfire itself (you can buy smores kits or bring your own) and some of the campers really go all out decorating their sites.

A meal at a resort with a fireworks view would also be a nice Disney fix that is cheaper than tickets. Even if it is only quick-service from the Poly and watching Wishes from the beach, it is something very Disney that doesn't come with a big price tag. And again, if you go in Dec. there's a ton of decorations to check out all of the monorail resorts, including the gingerbread house shop at the Grand Floridian.

You could play mini golf the Disney courses and eat at a resort restaurant.
Honestly that almost seems cruel to do to a kid who's been through so much though. Why not explain it's just not in the budget this year, plan a Disney at home weekend with movies and Disney themed meals and use the money you would have spent to start saving for a trip in the next year or so? Planning is half the fun anyway!

Resort hopping - I forgot about that! We always did that even when we had tix/rooms, so of course we would enjoy that. Also, good point about January being colder, thank you. Lastly, I plain forgot that we an still do our favorite restaurant Boma as our splurge, and view the animals - win! I am so glad I asked this question here.

You are right about my kiddos... I would have to set expectations very LOW, in order that the end result is better than what they expected... my girls are easy to work with, as long as I prepare them in advance. They are 11 and 12, and great kiddos.

Edited to add: just looked, and there are BOMA ADR's available. But I am not sure we will be able to swing that this year. But Zebra Domes while watching the animals would be just wonderful.

Last edited:
Last January, we did a two week, no park trip. Stayed at Boardwalk Villas. It was wonderful and we didn’t miss the parks one bit.

I would try for a Disney hotel if at all possible. Being right on site is so nice. A moderate can be affordable and very nice.

We swam every day in January. But we are Canadian! My kids can swim in any weather.

My son would be so sad to be so close and not go to parks. Especially since it isn’t pool weather for us after November. What I would enjoy as an adult, resort hopping, at 10 he would
Be bored quickly. What about instead a night at something like great wolf lodge? 2 fun days in the water park with only one night hotel stay.

I can see wanting to give her anything she wants after such a trying year but would it be better to go when you can afford park tickets? Even if it means staying offsite to help with costs?

Good luck!

Our first trip as new DVC owners was a no parks trip. Our kids were 11 and 9. I thought it would be really hard, but it was one of our favorite trips! We even took the bus to Hollywood Studios and hopped on the boat to the Boardwalk, and none of us complained about not entering the park. We played mini golf, swam, resort hopped, and ate at a couple of our favorite resort restaurants.

I agree with the other poster who suggested trying to stay on property if at all possible. I think it's too late to rent DVC points, but you could always check (keep in mind they are non-refundable).

I Think staying onsite would be even worse for a kid who had a hard year and actually wants to go to the parks. It’s not like they’ve gone recently and a resort only trip wouldn’t be a big deal. But this kid hasn’t. She’s asking to go to the parks. It would be Complete torture IMO.

I also think it would be torture to not be able to go into the parks. I'd rather get tickets but have a tight meal budget (Boma is expensive), just do counter service meals, since you'd drive bring lots of food with you for the room, don't buy souvenirs other than pressed pennies or maybe give the kids each a budget.

I’d save up more money and go at a later date. Put whatever money you were going to spend on hotels, gas and meals and start purchasing tickets one at a time. Wait for resort discounts to come out and book a room only reservation or even stay offsite! I have a 12yo daughter and I know not being able to enter Magic Kingdom and walk down Main Street towards the castle would be a huge let down.

As a kid, I would be disappointed with that alternative. Especially, as a kid as you said, that wants Disney. I think you are better off putting that money towards a real Disney trip. Involve the kids in the saving and planning.

Do some kind of local weekend vacation as a get away this year.

Sorry - it is real sensitive subject, I don't want to hurt any feelings here.

But I was wondering if there is some department at Disney who would consider giving passes for free in the situation like this.

It would be nothing for Disney they do a lot of charities etc.

But it would be Real Magic for the family.

I heard Disney gives out free passes for school events.

I’m so sorry for the tough year your family has had and I’m so happy she is doing better.

I think that you can have a great time making memories without going to park. Go to Disney Springs, resort hop and try the different counter services.
If it were posssible to go a lil later in year because of possible cool weather, I would do that.
Good luck
Kerri

A vacation is what you make it. I think you could have a great time without the parks. As pp have stated go to DS, tour resorts, etc. If finances allow for it have a “splurge” of some sort, a special adr, a special souvenir, or even BBB at DS. The fact that you as a family have been through so much I think you can find Disney magic wherever you end up.

Hi all. We have been to Disney 3x (last time I planned the trip for 35 people!).

My 12 year old just spent over 300 days in the hospital (over the past year) with a brain illness. She is recovering, and wants Disney. We cannot afford Disney this year, so we would like to do this: drive down (we are in PA), stay somewhere with a great pool and inexpensive rates (Wyndham Bonnet Creek?) and just be *near* Disney. I do not think we will be disappointed. In the past we had Disney hotel and park tickets, but will have neither this year. I would love your input, in case I am missing something.

My question to you: do you have any ideas how I can make this "feel" like a Disney vacation, without spending much money (or even getting *into* Disney)? I am thinking just breathing the Disney Springs air will be good enough for my husband and I. I hope my daughters feel the same? I know they will love some pool time, as we missed all that over the (difficult) summer, so they will already be so grateful for that. Plus, just the fact that we get to vacation together as a family after a long year - they will appreciate that. I think this year, we are a much more grateful and humble family than in the past! We are looking at mid-December (or January). Thanks all!
No, I don't recommend going but not going. It will be a disappointment to the child. She'll want the parks, which is the core appeal of Disney to kids. If you can't afford that, wait another year until you can. Make a local vacation spot special for her this year, and tell her about the big Disney plans for next year. That's kinder than offering her a "you can see it but not touch it" Disney vacation.

OP, have you considered setting up a GoFundMe page to try to raise a little money for the trip? I'm sure there are many people who would be willing to chip in a little to make a trip magical for you and your family after what you have been through this year. Yes, I think you could have a great time at Wyndham Bonnet Creek (it's a lovely resort), going to DS (during December you can meet Santa, walk the tree trail, etc.) and resort hopping (zebra domes at AK, you can even watch the MK fireworks from one of the MK resorts, walk on the Boardwalk and enjoy the entertainment, etc.), but perhaps a GoFundMe page could help you raise a little just for a special meal and one day at MK?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter