Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. We leave on Saturday, so no chance of ordering those in time. I thought I remembered when the mouse ear clippies came up last time, someone said that one of the stores (maybe at DTD) sold them. Now I can't remember where I read that or which store it was. :confused3

Thanks!

We just stayed at the Poly for the first time too (mid August) and LOVE LOVE LOVED it! The kids want to know if we can stay there every time :) Hope you all have a fantastic trip.

Thanks. We leave on Saturday, so no chance of ordering those in time. I thought I remembered when the mouse ear clippies came up last time, someone said that one of the stores (maybe at DTD) sold them. Now I can't remember where I read that or which store it was. :confused3

Thanks!

I got the baby the clippies at the World of Disney in NYC. I think they have them at the one in Orlando. Hope you find them and have a great trip!!!

Question:

I just started to sew again after quite a long hiatus and have a question.

I have made a circle skirt, three different lengths and it is looking good. Now how do I figure out the waistband! I have a general idea of what I am doing but don't want to rip thread out all night long. What is the easiest way to do this?

Thanks

Question:

I just started to sew again after quite a long hiatus and have a question.

I have made a circle skirt, three different lengths and it is looking good. Now how do I figure out the waistband! I have a general idea of what I am doing but don't want to rip thread out all night long. What is the easiest way to do this?

Thanks

If you are making the waistband out of the top layer it should be pretty easy.

1. Fold over about 1/2 inch- press.
2. Fold over one inch- press5. .
3. Stitch along edge to create casing.
4. Leave open about three inches in casing.
5. Insert elastic thourgh the casing. A safety pin is a great help.
6. Stitch elastic ends together.
7. Stitch three inches closed in casing.

Hope this helps. Have fun with your skirt.

That sounds simple enough, what if I can't do that though :rotfl:

I don't have the length on the skirt to fold over and make a waist band. Is there still a way to attach a waistband? There has to be I have plenty of fabric :)

Thanks!

Oh, yes, I remember someone saying that too! I think it was the big store in Downtown Disney. I hope you find them!

I finally got it finished! It is 4 x 6. I made it for uor upcoming cruise, so I know pretty much what characters we will see. Thankfully it is a lot less than Disney! Those books can get pretty big! The last picture is a metal lunchbox I plan on carrying it in. Since we will be on the ship, I don't have to worry about rain!
I covered 4 x 6 chipboard and punched 2 holes in every piece. The book rings are 2 1/2 inches, they are hard to see because I covered them with ribbons.
th_Disney015.jpg

th_Disney021.jpg

th_Disney047.jpg

WOW! I love it!

I don't have the length on the skirt to fold over and make a waist band. Is there still a way to attach a waistband? There has to be I have plenty of fabric :)

You can attach another strip of fabric to the top to form a yoke, and then do what Aimee said. Just make sure you add up how much you will need for the casing, so it's wide enough.

I would suggest buying a bodkin if you are going to be doing much elastic work. It makes it go MUCH faster.

You can attach another strip of fabric to the top to form a yoke, and then do what Aimee said. Just make sure you add up how much you will need for the casing, so it's wide enough.

I would suggest buying a bodkin if you are going to be doing much elastic work. It makes it go MUCH faster.

Look at that, now I'M quoting myself! I was worried that I didn't give you a very clear answer, so I did a quick search since my mind isn't able to give good directions this late, and I found this. It's for 1 1/2" wide elastic, so you'd want to adjust the width measurements according to how wide your elastic is. I hope this makes it clearer!
From: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Sewing-3237/Sewing-elastic-waist-band.htm

One of the easiest ways to make an elastic waistband is
1. cut the material for the waistband the length you need to fit on the skirt, plus 5/8 inch each end for seam allowance.

2. make the width of the band 4 - 1/2 inches wide. this allows for doubling and seam allowance.

3. attach one side of the band to the inside of the skirt.

4. cut elastic about 1 inch shorter than the length you want.

5. on each end of the band fold in the seam allowance, fold it over the ends of the elastic. pin the elastic in place on both ends

6. fold the band over the elastic, to the right side of the skirt.

7. turn the seam allowance up and pin band in place, encasing the elastic in the band.

8. stitch across one end of band, top stitch band on skirt, being careful not to stitch thru the elastic. stitch across the other end.

I don't know that I'd put the elastic in before stitching it closed. I've found that that can be tricky. I prefer to put it in after I make a casing.

Ok, good, NOW I can go to bed!

I don't know that I'd put the elastic in before stitching it closed. I've found that that can be tricky. I prefer to put it in after I make a casing.

Ok, good, NOW I can go to bed![/QUOTE]

Thank you!!!

You have helped me a bunch and now I am going to go finish her skirt. I don't think I would ever be brave enough to sew the elastic in like that. I can never figure out how much I need as it is.

In fact how do you determine the length of elastic that is needed?

Ok, good, NOW I can go to bed!

Thank you!!!

You have helped me a bunch and now I am going to go finish her skirt. I don't think I would ever be brave enough to sew the elastic in like that. I can never figure out how much I need as it is.

In fact how do you determine the length of elastic that is needed?[/QUOTE]

I take my DD waist and cut off two inches. It seems to work for her.

I've printed out 3 complete books...I'm printing the last 2-4 pages and just got the low ink alert. Yup.
...t.

I wish my printer had a "low ink alert".

Ok---I am just back from the beach 2 days and have been trying to catch up but I totally need the support of my "friends" now. I know this is OT but you ladies are so great I needed to share my sad news with everyone. Last night DH found out he is being shipped overseas for a year. He starts training the day we get home from WDW and leaves for advanced training in Texas at the end of October before going over some time at the end of the year. We are struggleing on how to tell DD that her daddy is going for so long. And I am so worried about this trip now because on one side we will have great family time at one of the best places ever but then again it is knowing that when we come home, he leaves. Sorry to rant but I feel lost and he is training now and won't be home until Friday and I just needed to vent I guess. I don't even feel like sewing!

:grouphug: I hope you do take lots of pics on your trip. I'd try to sneak in some candid shots of dh & dd when he's not looking, then you can send them to him regularly as a surprise. Just a though! Your family will be in my prayers.

Adorable books! Even more adorable costume!

th_IMGP4026.jpg

They all look so cute together!!! I'm glad to hear that your dd is taking an interest! My dd8 has cut out her first pattern, now if I can get over my fear of putting it together we'll get busy!!!

When I was at the concierge this weekend at the Beach Club, a lady walked up and asked, when is going to stop raining. The CM laughed but the lady insisted she was serious. "You know everything else, don't you know when it will stop raining?" she demanded. The CM stopped laughing and said, "In the summer it can rain every day between 4pm and 7pm." The lady said, "Ok, 7pm then. Thank you" and walked away. I was laughing at her all the way to my room.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

A what?????? :confused3

My Walmart got in a ton of Christmas ribbon, but it's all wired. Is there any use for that in sewing?

Ok, first of all, these pics aren't great, but I hope they will serve their purpose. I've finished skorts for Emma & Rylee to wear to MVMCP and now I need help deciding on their shirts. Two things to keep in mind: 1) I'm going to add a Santa hat to the ears 2) I plan to add the same ribbon around the waistband of the shirt.

Here are my choices thus far:

1: Red dot ribbon w/gold ricrac ~ my dd16 thinks this is too much red. I think it ties in well with the skirt and sheer red dot ribbon on the skirt. But, will it be too much red after the santa hat is added?

2: Christmas plaid (red/green/gold) w/gold ricrac

3: Christmas plaid w/sheer red dot ribbon ~ The same ribbon used on the skirt for the bow

4: Christmas plaid w/gold ricrac & sheer red dot ribbon

5: Any other ideas?

I would love to know what you guys think! I think you all are very talented and your opinions mean a lot to me. Even those of you that don't sew, you definitely have an eye for style!!

christmasidea10.jpg

christmasidea3.jpg

christmasidea5.jpg

Christmasidea2.jpg

christmasidea6.jpg

christmasidea7.jpg

My Walmart got in a ton of Christmas ribbon, but it's all wired. Is there any use for that in sewing?

I don't know about sewing but I have used some beautiful ribbon for ribbon t-shirts and such before and after I cut my desired length I pulled the wire out. I also see some of the most fantastic ribbon that is wired and I just remove it before I make shirts or hair bows with it.

I finally got it finished! It is 4 x 6. I made it for uor upcoming cruise, so I know pretty much what characters we will see. Thankfully it is a lot less than Disney! Those books can get pretty big! The last picture is a metal lunchbox I plan on carrying it in. Since we will be on the ship, I don't have to worry about rain!
I covered 4 x 6 chipboard and punched 2 holes in every piece. The book rings are 2 1/2 inches, they are hard to see because I covered them with ribbons.
Disney015.jpg

Disney021.jpg

Disney047.jpg

So cool! Thanks for posting that. Now I know what I can do with all the scrapbook stuff I have collecting dust these days. I love how you decorated the rings with ribbon.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: Did is stop raining at 7pm? If not, I wonder if she went back down to complain?

Well, did it stop on schedule? ;)

If I remember correctly, it stopped before 7 and sprinkled a little between 8 and 9. I'm sure she was pissed!

The funniest thing was the CM's face change from laughing and being amused to that "Holy crap, she is serious" face before she regained her composure and was all business. I don't know how she did it, honestly. I think I would have made some smart remark.

I would add that I machine baste where the seams come together before poking the elastic through. It really helps it go through quickly without hangups. Then you remove the basting when done.

I am intrigued: what is this?

I like this one the best. Did you make the skorts or just embellish them? They are really cute!

Ok---I am just back from the beach 2 days and have been trying to catch up but I totally need the support of my "friends" now. I know this is OT but you ladies are so great I needed to share my sad news with everyone. Last night DH found out he is being shipped overseas for a year. He starts training the day we get home from WDW and leaves for advanced training in Texas at the end of October before going over some time at the end of the year. We are struggleing on how to tell DD that her daddy is going for so long. And I am so worried about this trip now because on one side we will have great family time at one of the best places ever but then again it is knowing that when we come home, he leaves. Sorry to rant but I feel lost and he is training now and won't be home until Friday and I just needed to vent I guess. I don't even feel like sewing!

I can't even imagine how hard this is for you. I just want to say my family will keep your family in our thoughts and prayers. If you ever just need a shoulder we are here for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter