Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stayed up way to late smocking last night. This is really going to be a practice makes perfect kind of project. I started practicing cable stitches. The first row is a mess. I figured it out after I finished. Then I did the second row. I was not making my stitches even and tight enough at first.

Then I started the waves. The first wave was not long enough I may end up cropping that row out. The border is for the Mermaid smocking plate that will end up being Ariel!

Here is the first look.

smocking004.jpg

smocking001.jpg
Yay! I'm glad you got to practice. What book did you get? I spent several hours at the heirloom shop last weekend and came home with English Smocking by the Children's Corner. I can't practice yet because they were out of insets. I'll check back this weekend to see if they have more.

The smocked Cinderella shorts set came the other day. It's super cute, but it's huge. I ended up finding all the smocked designs I wanted on bishops, so this one is going back.

Hi, Lisa! You can see a picture of my chunky monkey you will be making all of the shirts for. Nice to have you join us!

Jill

Hi Jill! I was wondering if that is your DD. She's built much like my daughter. :)

How many of you ladies pre-wash your fabrics? I'm used to working with upholstery fabric, so no prewashing there. I have that large minnie dot fabric and I pre-washed that before I started cutting and sewing, but its such a pain. Just wondering if I'll need to do this on all the cotton fabrics. I thought some of the manufacturers pre-washed already...so I'm confused. :confused3

I always prewash my fabric and most trims, too. I'd much rather deal with prewashing than put a lot of time into making something only to have a print bleed during the first wash or have something shrink and cause puckering and pulling. I've found 5 yard lengths is about the longest I can do without it getting totally tangled during the prewash and dry.

Hi! It is so nice to see you here and to see a picture of you! If you go a few pages back you'll find a picture of your beautiful Belle shirt on my daughter at the Magic Kingdom.

Hi! I did see both girls - it looks like you had a wonderful trip! I'm so envious and going through major Disney vacation withdrawals which is why I decided to check back to this board after a long absense. Hopefully it will help tide me over until we can take another trip.

I was tempted to buy those jeans. I might have to buy them now, since I'd be able to wear 2 sizes smaller than normal. Will they print the size on the outside of the pants for me, do you think? ;) Do they fit bigger in the waist, legs, butt, or just all over?

They are bigger all over and longer too! Woohoo!! I'm actually going to have to take the length up a bit. I was able to try mine on at the Disney Store so was happy to know before I purchased. Mmmm...printing the size on the outside...you might start a new fashion trend there, sister!

I have a ruffle foot that came with my machine (a ten year old singer that was my mom's but she never used it). I am very new to sewing and have no idea what I'm doing really - I luckily have a neighbor that helps me out when I sew but she doesn't know about the ruffle foot either. I have always made my ruffles by doing two rows of wide stitching across my fabric and then pulling on one of the threads to ruffle. I kind of like this b/c it allows me to decide how tight I want the ruffles. Does anyone have pictures of ruffles made with the ruffle foot? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much! I'll post pictures of my outfits as soon as I get enough credits.

I used to do the double row gathering for years until I finally bought a ruffler foot. It is so nice to have that! It's very noisy and a bit intimidating at first but well worth learning how to use it. Here's a close-up of a skirt I made using the ruffler foot for all gathering.

ruffles.jpg

LisaZoe : LOVE IT! Wonderful Work! :)
I'm going to make dh stop by Missouri sewing machine company today while we are out on our Home Depot run. ....... I might just pick up a ruffling foot while I am there! One question about it. Once you ruffle can you adjust the ruffles to fit your garment? I guess I'm not sure what to do if the ruffles aren't tight enough or are too loose for what I need to attach them to.
RUFFLE FOOT ATTACHMENT ... Two pieces of fabric go under/through the foot at the same time = literally, Ruffling the Top Layer AND Sewing it to the flat bottom layer, at the same time.
Most are fully adjustable, too = fine gathers or more of a pleated look ...
WONDERFUL INVENTION! Make sure to try it someday! :)
(*Check out those links to the picture tutorials = Very Helpful!)
Have Fun!

OK, so be gentle! This is my FIRST attempt at sewing and using a pattern! :eek: My MIL usually does all the sewing, but I have her so loaded down doing other vacation outfits, I thought I'd try a simple on on my own. Nothing fancy AT ALL, but I'm happy that I actually finished it!

greenmickey.jpg

greenback.jpg

The ruffles are SO bad, but if she moves real fast and you aren't too close up, I think don't anyone will notice! ;)

This is adorable!! Great first job!!!! What pattern did you use, and where did you get the fabric? I love the top!

I should add that I don't yet ruffle and stitch to the other fabric at the same time. I haven't totally worked out how to adjust my ruffler foot so it gathers at the same rate each time. I run the piece to be gathered through the ruffler first and then pin to the other piece and sometimes need to pull the gathering thread a little to get the two to fit exactly.

Would someone please post the link for the instructions that showed how to use the zip loc bags for storing fabric?
4_2_204v.gif

Trying the search engine:
3_8_13.gif

Oh boy you guys!! Wait til you see what I found!

I was looking online for bandanas for dogs (of all things) and look what I found!

Pirate bandanas and bandanas with Mickey on them! The Pirate bandanas are at the top of the page , but you have to scroll down for the Mickey ones.

I just know someone will be able to find uses for these!

http://www.bandanas.net/banbest.htm

Yay! I'm glad you got to practice. What book did you get? I spent several hours at the heirloom shop last weekend and came home with English Smocking by the Children's Corner. I can't practice yet because they were out of insets. I'll check back this weekend to see if they have more.

The smocked Cinderella shorts set came the other day. It's super cute, but it's huge. I ended up finding all the smocked designs I wanted on bishops, so this one is going back.

That is the book I bought too. It is really great. I took it to the pool last night. Smocing is just going to an activity that is practiced. I see all of my imperfections and they are driving me crazy!!!

I have learned you have to be really careful about lining up your stitches and you have to keep your needle very straight. It takes a lot of patience. Check to see if they have a pleater at the store. You can get any fabric pleated- even just to practice.

My Tiny Nay plates are still not here. Hopfully they will come soon!!! Here is some of what she has to offer.

4PRINCESSESSP07.png

peterpancrewnogrid.png

cinderellainsertdone.jpg

WIZARD20KIDS20PLATE.jpg

Would someone please post the link for the instructions that showed how to use the zip loc bags for storing fabric?
4_2_204v.gif

Trying the search engine:
3_8_13.gif

try these :)
my room : organized Page 495 post#7420
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=20002104&postcount=7420
"how I did all that"
http://photobucket.com/practice/?id=nt0xu
mini-bolts (fabric storage) Page 498 post#7458
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=20004785&postcount=7458
big ribbon rack Page 501 post#7504
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=20010122&postcount=7504
hang-bags Page 504 post#7547
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=20016573&postcount=7547
pattern boxes Page 530 post#7947
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=20055917&postcount=7947

The hang-bags will hold APPROX. up to 3-4-5lbs, but that's totally depending on the type of hangers & tape/bags, you use ... It works GREAT for patterns, bits of fabrics, unfinished projects, projects-to-do, etc. ;)
For YARD-S of FABRIC = try the mini-bolts in a stackable tub/bin or on a shelf. ... That should have your area straightened up in no time, and with little cost! Have Fun. :)

When we went to WDW in April 2007 I was able to get the big Minnie red and white polka dot fabric from Hancock's but I've been unable to buy it again since then, it says it is out of stock. I'd like for my girls to be Minnie for Halloween and I'd love that fabric. Does anyone have any ideas about where else to get the fabric or if Hancock's has stopped carrying it? Thanks for your help!!!

Check your Walmart. The Walmarts around here just got their "Halloween" fabric and one of the fabrics is the big Minnie Mouse Dot.

I can NOT sew at all! I'm blown away by your designs. I just got back from Walmart where I wondered around trying to find a pre-made outfit I could enhance without sewing.
Here's what I came up with for anyone else who might be challenged in the sewing department... I bought my DDs (6 & 10) a black pleated jeans-style skirt for $11. Then I bought hot pink toole to attach as a layer under the skirt (a friend is helping me-thank goodness!) I got a hot pink and black tanktop for each of the girls (I plan on buying one for me too!), black thick riboon, hot pink thinner ribbon and black solid material. The plan is to lay the thick ribbon under the thin ribbon and make a mickey head shape out of the material. Then I'll add a bow to Minnie it up. Oh! I almost forgot- the belt is a crown belt buckle. It's too perfect!
The second out fit is the same type of tank (what can I say- I love it!) with black tanks, and cheetah ribbon. I bought them Safari-style, tan, capri pants they can wear them with other things. I will also attempt bows to go with my younger daughter's clothes and a headband for my older DD.

Now, I'd love to figure out what I can do for my younger one without sewing for CRT and BBB. I'll have to think on it a bit more... :)

Thanks for the inspiration everyone! :goodvibes

OK, so be gentle! This is my FIRST attempt at sewing and using a pattern! :eek: My MIL usually does all the sewing, but I have her so loaded down doing other vacation outfits, I thought I'd try a simple on on my own. Nothing fancy AT ALL, but I'm happy that I actually finished it!

greenmickey.jpg

greenback.jpg

The ruffles are SO bad, but if she moves real fast and you aren't too close up, I think don't anyone will notice! ;)

It looks Great!!! Nice Job.

You guys have been busy...5 pages of posts since I logged off last night. Yikes! I am still not caught up.

This is adorable!! Great first job!!!! What pattern did you use, and where did you get the fabric? I love the top!

The pattern is McCall's 5419 - it has a couple dresses and some mix/match tops and shorts. I got both fabrics at Hancock's - the stripe is from St Jude Quilt of Dreams collection. I mentioned in another post, it doesn't match perfectly, but looks good together.

Thanks for all the nice compliments (even if you guys are just being nice! :rotfl: ) :cloud9:

Oh boy you guys!! Wait til you see what I found!

I was looking online for bandanas for dogs (of all things) and look what I found!

Pirate bandanas and bandanas with Mickey on them! The Pirate bandanas are at the top of the page , but you have to scroll down for the Mickey ones.

I just know someone will be able to find uses for these!

http://www.bandanas.net/banbest.htm

Very Cute!!! They would make cute pillow case dresses

The pattern is McCall's 5419 - it has a couple dresses and some mix/match tops and shorts. I got both fabrics at Hancock's - the stripe is from St Jude Quilt of Dreams collection. I mentioned in another post, it doesn't match perfectly, but looks good together.

Thanks for all the nice compliments (even if you guys are just being nice! :rotfl: ) :cloud9:

I think it coordinates really well. One thing I love to do is put together colors and prints that aren't exact color matches. I really think it adds more interest to a design because my combination is not likely to be duplicated by someone else.

I have to agree, too, with the others who complimented your work. You did a very good job and especially since it's your first time. I bet the next one will easier and more fun for you.

ok, someone posted the mickey pirate head. I too made a make shift pattern for the scarf, but have it going th other direction. Here is a pirate mickey tutu outfit I just made! It is so adorable. and for winter I though of putting black leggins underneath!

IMG_2640.jpg

I should add that I don't yet ruffle and stitch to the other fabric at the same time. I haven't totally worked out how to adjust my ruffler foot so it gathers at the same rate each time. I run the piece to be gathered through the ruffler first and then pin to the other piece and sometimes need to pull the gathering thread a little to get the two to fit exactly.

This is how I would want to be able to do it. I love love love :love: the skirt you posted at the top of this page!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter