Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is Santa Mickey. I think it turned out pretty cute. Have fun!

MickeySanta.jpg

CUTE!

OK, so be gentle! This is my FIRST attempt at sewing and using a pattern! :eek: My MIL usually does all the sewing, but I have her so loaded down doing other vacation outfits, I thought I'd try a simple on on my own. Nothing fancy AT ALL, but I'm happy that I actually finished it!

greenmickey.jpg

greenback.jpg

The ruffles are SO bad, but if she moves real fast and you aren't too close up, I think don't anyone will notice! ;)

I think it looks great. Do you mind me asking how hard it was for you? I am very new to sewing (and no one in my family sews -- they are still laughing from the fact that I even bought a sewing machine) and I am having a hard time.

The ruffles are SO bad, but if she moves real fast and you aren't too close up, I think don't anyone will notice! ;)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I think it looks great! I can't believe it's your first attempt. The ruffles look good to me!

When we went to WDW in April 2007 I was able to get the big Minnie red and white polka dot fabric from Hancock's but I've been unable to buy it again since then, it says it is out of stock. I'd like for my girls to be Minnie for Halloween and I'd love that fabric. Does anyone have any ideas about where else to get the fabric or if Hancock's has stopped carrying it? Thanks for your help!!!

I love the bows. I usually use only grosgrain ribbon and my selections have been limited. I will look for the nice printed ribbon this year :) Also would you mind sharing how you make the fur cuffs? I love them. Do you attach them to the shirts? Any tips you share will be greatly appreciated.
Thank You.
PS. You little girls are so cute. I really wish my DD (almost 10) didn’t think she was to grown up to dress cute again. I cringe every time we walk into a limited too :eek:

I do sew the cuffs to the shirts. I measure the shirt cuff, so say if it's 4 inches across, just double that amount, so you have a measurement of 8 inches.(then add a 1/2 for a seam allowance) Then measure how large you want the cuff to be, so say you want a 5 inch cuff, you also double that amount and add 1/2 inch for a seam allowance. So you will have a large rectangle that measures, 8 1/2 by 10 1/2. Fold the fur over on itself and sew the edge to make a sort of tube. Then open it up and fold wrong sides together to make a sort of donut shape. The raw edge will be sewn to the sleeve. I baste the fur first, before I sew it onto the sleeve. I pull the fur donut up and over the sleeve and pull the sleeve through, and match up the edge of the sleeve with the basted edge of the donut, and then stitch and zig-zag, then you just fold down the fur and you can top stitich, but I usually don't. This is something I will be posing pictures of soon. I want to start making these, but want to get through summer vacation first...LOL

I think it looks great. Do you mind me asking how hard it was for you? I am very new to sewing (and no one in my family sews -- they are still laughing from the fact that I even bought a sewing machine) and I am having a hard time.

It was time consuming, and I ripped out A LOT of seams, but it wasn't too bad. I am really NOT good at sewing, but my MIL gave me a nice Bernina machine in hopes that I would have some talent I think! :rotfl: She is such a great seamstress its almost hard for me to learn from her - she talks so over my head! I had to call her once about the elastic being too long, and then I realized I trying to put it on the front rather than the back! :headache:

Anyway, give it a shot! Just have a seam ripper really close by, and don't sweat the small things at first. The inside of the shorts is horrible looking, but who will know except me?? (NOT my mother in law!) I think that pattern was pretty easy.

Good luck!

When we went to WDW in April 2007 I was able to get the big Minnie red and white polka dot fabric from Hancock's but I've been unable to buy it again since then, it says it is out of stock. I'd like for my girls to be Minnie for Halloween and I'd love that fabric. Does anyone have any ideas about where else to get the fabric or if Hancock's has stopped carrying it? Thanks for your help!!!
Walmarts are starting to carry some (I think for Halloween) I saw it at mine and it was very nice. A dark red not an orangey-red and nice sized dots.

Here is Santa Mickey. I think it turned out pretty cute. Have fun!

MickeySanta.jpg

Thank you sooo much. This is perfect.

I also love your 'Ohana outfit. I may have to steal that. We are eating there are first day and it's my oldest daughters 8th bday.
All your designs are fantastic, can't wait to see the finished products.

Amy

Hi Amy, the back piece is seperate from the elastic casing. You could do it all the same piece I guess. It will ruffle itself when the elastic is in the casing. What I do, is when I make the casing, I sew along the folded edge, like topstitching, and it will make the ruffle more pronounced.

Thanks so much for your help. I think I got it now. I could always go buy a pattern but I find that more work, so I try and figure them out myself.

Thank you sooo much. This is perfect.

I also love your 'Ohana outfit. I may have to steal that. We are eating there are first day and it's my oldest daughters 8th bday.
All your designs are fantastic, can't wait to see the finished products.

Amy

Thanks so much. I have had a lot of fun! I have so many ideas. I think we will end up bringing two outfits per day again. Granted some of those will be princess costumes!

I am just trying to get everything organized. I need a good plan soon so I can start to work and soon as September hits I will have no free time boo hoo!!!

Question for the seamstress or anyone else. . .

How do you store your used patterns? I have been inspired to make a sewing only area in my Art Studio (den) at home. I am thrilled with all the ideas so far. It is nice to get my fabric and trims organized. I am so organized with all my other art supplies I do not know why I am not with this!

HL - it looks great! I love those fabrics!

sahm - I second what Piper said. Try a couple of different Wal-Marts.
The one closest to me didn't have the Minnie dots, but in another part of town they did have it.

Whoo Hoo that is me! Weh we get it, I will get pictures of my girl in her dress for you front and back if that will help. I'm very good at pictures, not good at having them developed though:rolleyes1 Kind of like I am very good at buying fabric and copying ideas, not good at sitting down and actually sewing things:rolleyes1 Very good at talking about dieting, not good about passing chocolate up. Very good about...well you get the point right:banana:

Sounds as though we could have been seperated at birth!!!:lmao: :goodvibes

Question for the seamstress or anyone else. . .

How do you store your used patterns? I have been inspired to make a sewing only area in my Art Studio (den) at home. I am thrilled with all the ideas so far. It is nice to get my fabric and trims organized. I am so organized with all my other art supplies I do not know why I am not with this!

Not a seamstress, but I guess I qualify as anyone else. ;) I can never fold them back up in that envelope, so I put them in a big manilla envelope (the ones that a sheet of paper would slip into flat, kwim?) and clip the pattern envelope to the front. I taped it down the first time and realized I needed the back for yardage, etc. Oops! :)

What a cool machine! My mom used to have an olive green singer. I wish she still had it. I'd love to have it on a shelf just to look at. I know that a lot of those are really worth some $$$ too. She also has a thread display for a store that is about 100 years old that she keeps her thread in. I think I'll take a picture of it this weekend while I'm at her house and show you ladies. It is pretty cool!
oh! I would love to see that thread rack! :) I love old sewing displays & signs, etc.

My Green Machine might not be my oldest. I'm not sure of the exact dates.
I HAVE TO have a running machine (w/ applique/zig-zag). So, I have a few & rotate them as needed. =) Some do certain things better than others. Here's the three I'm using now. (Click Pixs To Enlarge)

Green Morse PIXS when I bought it. It cleaned up well! The case didn't live through shipping. :{
As a BackUp Machine : Toyota 350 ... "ugly" but runs great!

Then, there's "THE BEAUTY". A Cream & Bronze WHITE "StitchMaster".

Very Pretty. ... Sadly, it's in repairs = need to find a new stitch-width lever. This might be my oldest : early 70's, late 60's (guessing).

I'm not rich (I wish, though). Just grabbed a few good deals along the way. that's all. :) I was lucky. I guess, I "collect sewing stuff" as a hobby. :love:
IF anyone's interested in getting an ALL-METAL machine = I can share who I got mine from. :)

OK, so be gentle! This is my FIRST attempt at sewing and using a pattern! :eek: My MIL usually does all the sewing, but I have her so loaded down doing other vacation outfits, I thought I'd try a simple on on my own. Nothing fancy AT ALL, but I'm happy that I actually finished it!

The ruffles are SO bad, but if she moves real fast and you aren't too close up, I think don't anyone will notice! ;)

Sorry--I had to take out your cute pics because I can't post pics/links yet. :) That set is darling! I have the Mickey print, but where did you find the coordinating stripe? It's perfect! I love those colors. The ruffles look great to me. :thumbsup2 And your daughter is a doll!

Sorry--I had to take out your cute pics because I can't post pics/links yet. :) That set is darling! I have the Mickey print, but where did you find the coordinating stripe? It's perfect! I love those colors. The ruffles look great to me. :thumbsup2 And your daughter is a doll!

Aww thanks...she never seems to be in posing moods these days. :rolleyes: I found the stripe at Hancock's. It's from the St Jude's Quilt of Dreams collection. It doesn't actually "coordinate", and it doesn't match exactly, but I thought it looked good together.

Here's the link...
http://www.hancockfabrics.com/shopp...itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=quilt+of+dreams

:goodvibes

oh! I would love to see that thread rack! :) I love old sewing displays & signs, etc.

My Green Machine might not be my oldest. I'm not sure of the exact dates.
I HAVE TO have a running machine (w/ applique/zig-zag). So, I have a few & rotate them as needed. =) Some do certain things better than others. Here's the three I'm using now. (Click Pixs To Enlarge)

Green Morse PIXS when I bought it. It cleaned up well! The case didn't live through shipping. :{
As a BackUp Machine : Toyota 350 ... "ugly" but runs great!

Then, there's "THE BEAUTY". A Cream & Bronze WHITE "StitchMaster".

Very Pretty. ... Sadly, it's in repairs = need to find a new stitch-width lever. This might be my oldest : early 70's, late 60's (guessing).

I'm not rich (I wish, though). Just grabbed a few good deals along the way. that's all. :) I was lucky. I guess, I "collect sewing stuff" as a hobby. :love:
IF anyone's interested in getting an ALL-METAL machine = I can share who I got mine from. :)

My Mom has an antique black singer sewing machine from the 1800's. It is in the ornate oak cabinet. She bought it a a flea market for around $30. It was covered in forest green paint. It took her an entire summer to refinish it. The only thing it did not have was the manual which she found at an anitque mall about 20 years later. I works by foot pedal. The sewing machine is fully functional although she only uses it as a fantastic notion storage.

I just got my smiles around the fabric today.. I love it so much I am so afraid to cut it lol.

Question for the seamstress or anyone else. . . How do you store your used patterns? I have been inspired to make a sewing only area in my Art Studio (den) at home. I am thrilled with all the ideas so far. It is nice to get my fabric and trims organized. I am so organized with all my other art supplies I do not know why I am not with this!
I got a CASE of those new "ShoeBoxes" from U S P S, but I never used them (don't fit my items well like I thought they would). I TRIED to give them back to the P O, but they did not want them back. So, I've been re-using them around the house. ...
Guess what ... THEY HOLD PATTERNS QUITE WELL.
I cut one side on 3 edges, folded it inside (for support), filled it = TADA!
I put a strip of White duct/duck tape over the end just to make it look pretty.
Unfortunately, they don't stack well, this way.
They fit on a short shelf, easily though. :) (*lower right side of 2nd pix)
I ditto'd that w/ larger white boxes for bigger stuff, on the shelf above the pattern boxes.

Click Pix to Enlarge ...
THE BEST PART is that these are practically free. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter