Kale

We eat it in salads and soups, not daily but probably 3xs a week. Add in the place of spinach or lettuce. And I agree with the PP who said it goes well with quinoa.

Hope all goes well. Did the doctor really say you "need" to add daily kale? I'd question that. Kale is very healthy, no doubt, but it's become a fad food. You can get healthy nutrients from other sources of greens if you don't like kale (I can't stand the stuff).

We eat it in salads, just toss a handful into your greens mix.

Steam it and add it to quinoa or brown rice and black beans.

Add a handful to to pot when making soup

Just got some not-so-good news from the doctor. Lots of changes in store for me. One is diet. I need to add a daily dose of kale to my diet.
Why, though? Like, your doctor said specifically to eat kale every day? You can get the protein, fiber, vitamins, omega-3, lutein, and zeaxanthin from other sources.

I mean, I like kale. But it seems weird your doctor is like "eat kale!"

Make sure you have your kale with some sort of fat (sauteed in olive oil for instance). Many of the nutrients in kale that you need don't extract well without the fat.

The America's Test Kitchen show says to massage the kale too to break up the fibers and make them easier to eat.

The America's Test Kitchen show says to massage the kale too to break up the fibers and make them easier to eat.

Yes! Massage is the key to eating kale in a salad. Any time I’ve had it raw, I thought it was horrible. I assumed I didn’t like it, but then I made my own dressing and massaged it at home and it’s delicious.

I also eat kale sautéed until crispy. It’s similar to the chips, but way easier to avoid burning.

My one big recommendation would be to buy the whole leaves and prep it yourself. It’s a good amount of work, but you can do up a bunch and have it ready to go in the fridge for the whole week. Every brand of bagged I have ever seen just looks like a jumble of stems to me. I think that’s why a lot of people don’t like kale. I don’t see how it’s possible to cook it properly.

Yes! Massage is the key to eating kale in a salad. Any time I’ve had it raw, I thought it was horrible. I assumed I didn’t like it, but then I made my own dressing and massaged it at home and it’s delicious.

I also eat kale sautéed until crispy. It’s similar to the chips, but way easier to avoid burning.

My one big recommendation would be to buy the whole leaves and prep it yourself. It’s a good amount of work, but you can do up a bunch and have it ready to go in the fridge for the whole week. Every brand of bagged I have ever seen just looks like a jumble of stems to me. I think that’s why a lot of people don’t like kale. I don’t see how it’s possible to cook it properly.

Agreed. It's so easy to buy a big bunch and strip it off the stem. So much better if you don't have those tough stems in it.

Have tried preparing it in several different ways and had such an awful/bitter taste, no one could eat it. Perhaps there are other ways to prepare it that doesn't taste as bad.

If you're feeling lazy, Whole Foods often has a tasty Kale Salad in their ready to eat food section.

We wuvvvvvv kale in salads also and every WF I've ever been in has it in pre made salads at the cold buffet or just leaves of it so you can make a custom salad.

Why, though? Like, your doctor said specifically to eat kale every day? You can get the protein, fiber, vitamins, omega-3, lutein, and zeaxanthin from other sources.

I mean, I like kale. But it seems weird your doctor is like "eat kale!"
He said all dark greens, but pointed out Kale has the highest concentration of the nutrients I need. Easier to get the daily recommendation through Kale.

I have eaten two batches of Kale chips and two bowls of soup with kale since yesterday morning. I have kale up to my eyeballs, no pun intended. I'll try the massaging to make it more palatable.

I make a kale salad that is probably similar to the superfood salads mentioned in this thread. It's delicious and I could eat it for every meal.

Fresh kale, crisp, rinsed and dried, torn off the stem and then torn to shreds. Then I take a pomegranate or strawberry vinaigrette and massage it into the kale. That's key - it will soak up the flavor more and really does make the kale a lot softer. Then toss with blueberries, edamame, dried (unsweetened) cranberries, cashews and sunflower seeds. Simple, delicious and packed with good stuff.

I make a kale salad that is probably similar to the superfood salads mentioned in this thread. It's delicious and I could eat it for every meal.

Fresh kale, crisp, rinsed and dried, torn off the stem and then torn to shreds. Then I take a pomegranate or strawberry vinaigrette and massage it into the kale. That's key - it will soak up the flavor more and really does make the kale a lot softer. Then toss with blueberries, edamame, dried (unsweetened) cranberries, cashews and sunflower seeds. Simple, delicious and packed with good stuff.

Massaging the vinaigrette into it must be the key. Not sure that’s what chick Fila does but the kale doesn’t taste like the kale I buy lol. It comes already dressed so it makes sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter