Kale

AustinTink

DIS Veteran
Just got some not-so-good news from the doctor. Lots of changes in store for me. One is diet. I need to add a daily dose of kale to my diet. Does anyone have a good kale recipe they would like to share? I made kale chips today and they were not half bad.

I'm sorry to hear that! Have you ever tried blending it in to a smoothie? I don't mind kale in salad but it isn't my favorite green. I don't notice (other than color) in a smoothie with frozen fruit/oj/ginger/etc!

Why specifically kale and not green leafy vegetables in general? In any event, baby kale can be pureed into a smoothie with fruit or chopped very finely and added to a stir fry, pasta sauce, omelet, or soup.

Personally I'd ask if other greens are an option as well. That'll give you variety.

Sautée onion and garlic in some olive oil, pepper and garlic. Add two cups veggie broth, a couple diced carrots and a bunch of kale chopped. Cover and simmer until veggies are tender. Stir in some cooked pasta. I absolutely love this easy recipe.

All leafy greens are good, but kale is much better than all of them for what I have, early-stage eye issues.

I'm guessing what you were diagnosed with was what I was a couple years ago. I had a list of things to eat, kale, spinach, broccoli, peas, sweet potatoes, squash. Basically dark green and orange foods. Tomatoes too. Kale was a top choice but I chose to eat a large variety of foods instead of alot of just one. Plus take the vitamins. I did kale chips, added it to my salads and used it in a soup with spinach and white beans.
Turns out my diagnosis was wrong but I still eat all those veggies for general eye health. Good luck to you.

Thank you all for the recipes! I pretty scared right now about losing my vision. I'm going to do everything I can to slow it down.

I eat a kale salad everyday...on purpose! :) I actually really like it, especially because it’s so versatile. I either have a regular green salad with veggies (cold) or I switch it up. I always keep the kale cold, but sometimes I heat things up and add:

Roasted butternut squash cubes, feta and pepitas

Quinoa, sweet potatoes and black beans

Sautéed zucchini and roasted tomatoes

Carmelized onions and goat cheese

I also like it in soup. There’s a spiralizer sweet potato and kale recipe that I love. I’ll find it and link it for you.

Thank you all for the recipes! I pretty scared right now about losing my vision. I'm going to do everything I can to slow it down.

:hug:

I've had kale chips sprinkled with Parmesan cheese (or cheddar) and garlic & pepper. Very yummy.

You can also make a basic chicken noodle soup and add shredded kale about 10 minutes before serving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter