Just off the Wonder, one complaint about adult trivia

woody64

DIS Veteran
We just got off the Wonder yesterday after a fantastic cruise to Alaska. I will attempt to write a trip report but wanted to post one complaint here for all future cruisers to consider.

Our group of 3 families (10 adults) played just about every adult music trivia contest there was down in the Crown and Fin (loved it!). There was one particular group that was louder than the rest, bordering on obnoxious (yelling over the top of the host, etc.). I'm all for having a good time, and our group did, but even the cast member running the games was getting annoyed with them (IMO). My complaint is that this same group won I think 3 of the 5 trivia games with perfect or near perfect scores (you score your own answers). Many other groups were close (my group would have never won), so why not spread the love...and little prizes? The host even said after they won the 2000's trivia, slightly annoyed (IMO), "oh, here are even more DCL journals for you".

My point is, be considerate and maybe keep score until you win once then let other families share the joy of winning. By all means keep playing, but maybe only win once. We are all on vacation having a good time and something as small as a little trivia win can help make the trip even more memorable.

Please do not respond with "oh, so you think everyone should win...". I do not believe in participation trophies, medals, etc. This is a fun little activity but I think everyone could share the love of DCL with the other passengers.

We just got off the Wonder yesterday after a fantastic cruise to Alaska. I will attempt to write a trip report but wanted to post one complaint here for all future cruisers to consider.

Our group of 3 families (10 adults) played just about every adult music trivia contest there was down in the Crown and Fin (loved it!). There was one particular group that was louder than the rest, bordering on obnoxious (yelling over the top of the host, etc.). I'm all for having a good time, and our group did, but even the cast member running the games was getting annoyed with them (IMO). My complaint is that this same group won I think 3 of the 5 trivia games with perfect or near perfect scores (you score your own answers). Many other groups were close (my group would have never won), so why not spread the love...and little prizes? The host even said after they won the 2000's trivia, slightly annoyed (IMO), "oh, here are even more DCL journals for you".

My point is, be considerate and maybe keep score until you win once then let other families share the joy of winning. By all means keep playing, but maybe only win once. We are all on vacation having a good time and something as small as a little trivia win can help make the trip even more memorable.

Please do not respond with "oh, so you think everyone should win...". I do not believe in participation trophies, medals, etc. This is a fun little activity but I think everyone could share the love of DCL with the other passengers.

I agree, and I know that would bug me, too.

Lol! I've sometimes suspected that these super trivia winners watch YouTube videos to get all the answers ahead of time. I know it's possible to know a lot of trivia but all of the trivia?!?! We always have a good time though.

I agree. But, you'll find, it's the same on all cruises lines. There's always a group that teams up to take it all. I just think they get a lot of stuff they can then turn around and sell on eBay.

We did some trivia games on our recent Fantasy cruise. We won the first one. And, really, did "win" another, but we opted to not hold our hand up when indicating how many correct. So the #2 team won. We play for fun, and the prize we got for the one we won was perfect (couple of DCL windbreakers).

I can see how that would be annoying. We have been on some cruises when they give a limit of the number of people on a team. I want to say it was maybe 6 but I could be wrong. However sometimes too we have seen what you describe and I have to agree with a large number of people, chances are someone is going to know every answer. It's a little unfair, but I guess the big picture is it's a silly little game on a cruise, playing for a plastic medal so really not worth getting upset over.

We were on 1 cruise where we had a won a couple of times. We then did a Disney Trivia with just DH and I on 1 team and a little girl and her mom on another. We ended up winning but gave them the medals. The little girls was so happy and the mom looked shocked that we did that. I didn't think it was that big of a deal but it looked like we really made their day. :)

I can see how that would be annoying. We have been on some cruises when they give a limit of the number of people on a team. I want to say it was maybe 6 but I could be wrong. However sometimes too we have seen what you describe and I have to agree with a large number of people, chances are someone is going to know every answer. It's a little unfair, but I guess the big picture is it's a silly little game on a cruise, playing for a plastic medal so really not worth getting upset over.

We were on 1 cruise where we had a won a couple of times. We then did a Disney Trivia with just DH and I on 1 team and a little girl and her mom on another. We ended up winning but gave them the medals. The little girls was so happy and the mom looked shocked that we did that. I didn't think it was that big of a deal but it looked like we really made their day. :)
It's not always a plastic medal. I've seen journals, baseball caps, and, in our case, windbreakers.

It seems to be every cruise. It would be nice to have Disney spirit and let others win too. We went on a cruise and one team won every single trivia game on a 7 night cruise. It got to the point where we stopped playing when we saw them sit down in the trivia. I did wonder about cheating.

Just to add our experience. We didn't play the trivia games. (I love trivia, but not so much music trivia, which seemed to be all/most of what they offered.) We did play a game called Majority Rules, which was a lot of fun. (You have to guess how the majority of the other teams in the room will answer various questions.)

The team that won the game received free Arcade time, but they conceded to a group of teens, who had come in second, and would likely enjoy the prize more. I pointed out to my sons that the team that came in first got the best prize of all, they get to go home with kind-hearted people: themselves.

My complaint is that this same group won I think 3 of the 5 trivia games with perfect or near perfect scores (you score your own answers).
Wait, what? Every trivia I've done on several cruise lines, you swap score sheets with other teams at the end. DCL lets you score your own?

Wait, what? Every trivia I've done on several cruise lines, you swap score sheets with other teams at the end. DCL lets you score your own?
Sometimes there aren't enough people to switch with. At least it's too much for some people's brains to figure out a 3 way switch, and they wind up scoring their own sheets.

I think that shouldn't be allowed.

And, DCL policies rely a lot on the "goodness of others" to play by the rules.

Yeah, that works well.

When we've done it, yes, you scored your own.

We went to a couple of them on our last DCL cruise and while they were a ton of fun (the hosts were great!), it was kind of shocking how competitive people got. I mean they were giving away DCL baseball hats as prizes, and you'd have thought it was a free cruise! We were cracking up. DH and I totally stunk at it, but we had a lot of fun.

OK, I won't.

However, did you mention your concerns on your comment card, mention this to the cruise director or club host? I think that's the type of feedback DCL would like to hear.

MUN

We recently cruised on the Wonder as a group of 8 adults who all enjoyed playing trivia. We always played honestly and fairly but did end up winning quite a few times! After the second win, we always gave the prizes back or to someone else.

Yes, you score your own and there were plenty of people playing. It usually filled the pub for the half hour. I'm not saying they didn't get them all or almost all correct. There is no limit on number of team members. We had a big team but we still sucked! There are 25 questions each quiz with some quizes each music snippet worth 2 points-song & artist. A couple of extra credit points along the way.

The prizes were always any combination of four (4) per team: baseball caps, faux leather luggage tags, journals, travel mugs.

We still had fun but you could tell a lot of people were annoyed with them.

OK, I won't.

However, did you mention your concerns on your comment card, mention this to the cruise director or club host? I think that's the type of feedback DCL would like to hear.

MUN

Yes and we mentioned that the music in the games were so much fun that they should then play the 25 songs back to back and keep everyone there signing along. The pub would clear out almost immediately as they went back to their regular music.

Who were your Cruise Staff Team members? Also, we have always had to switch papers on any trivia games on DCL (8 cruises), and teams were always limited to 4 or less on our cruises.

It's not always a plastic medal. I've seen journals, baseball caps, and, in our case, windbreakers.

And key chains! I was just using the medals as an example as it's what we got last week. ;)

My favorite prize of all time was little clear plastic, trophy like Mickey heads we got for Sports Trivia and Family Dream Quest on the Dream in 2011. It was the only time I ever saw them but they are cute.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter