Just off the Wonder, one complaint about adult trivia

It's not always a plastic medal. I've seen journals, baseball caps, and, in our case, windbreakers.

We won trivia twice one our B2B Cruise (one each cruise) one was trivia and one was musical. We received a journal from one and the plastic medal from the other. One night we participated in Dream Quest (with strangers) and our team won hats. It was fun.

The whole topic is ridiculous. Adults worrying about who wins, who cheats, who brags, who's too loud, losers not getting concelation prizes .....I mean really people were talking about adults right?
My kids play trivia in the teen clubs all the time. I've never heard them bring up any of this. On our last cruise I did hear the say they got wrecked by the girls in gender wars. They took it like men.

I would be surprised, but one of my friends works in HR for a government agency and she has fielded more than a few calls from parents of college graduate adult employees where the parents are complaining about a poor review their "child" has gotten and are trying to intervene to get it changed. :sad2: :sad2: :sad2:

We watched a lot of trivia on our last Celebrity cruise and they not only asked the team if they had already won but they also took down their room number(s) for receipt of their prize.

It's not always a plastic medal. I've seen journals, baseball caps, and, in our case, windbreakers.
Don't knock the value of a plastic medal. I have a plastic medal on a red, white, and blue ribbon that reads "Winner" on one side and "#1" on the other. It's one of my most prized possessions. When I'm feeling blue I slip it on and it helps to pick me up, that and a Xanax.

MUN

We like to go to the trivia sessions too, mainly to get out of the heat and enjoy a cold beverage. Some are better than others. Never really seen much drama except on 1 cruise. It was a longer cruise with a bunch of sea days. So they had a lot of activities, especially trivia. So we went to a few, but never really paid attention to who won. But after a day or two we heard people grumbling about this lady who kept winning. Every time. On a solo team. People were getting so mad and even complained to the cast member that she had an answer sheet or something. After a few days, you could see people walk in, see her and then leave mumbling non-Disney phrases. I felt bad for the lady because this was her moment of glory and had no clue how mad everyone else was. I'm pretty sure she found the questions online or had just been on like 50 cruises and heard every question because there is no way you could win by yourself in every topic. But it was funny to watch.

We like to go to the trivia sessions too, mainly to get out of the heat and enjoy a cold beverage. Some are better than others. Never really seen much drama except on 1 cruise. It was a longer cruise with a bunch of sea days. So they had a lot of activities, especially trivia. So we went to a few, but never really paid attention to who won. But after a day or two we heard people grumbling about this lady who kept winning. Every time. On a solo team. People were getting so mad and even complained to the cast member that she had an answer sheet or something. After a few days, you could see people walk in, see her and then leave mumbling non-Disney phrases. I felt bad for the lady because this was her moment of glory and had no clue how mad everyone else was. I'm pretty sure she found the questions online or had just been on like 50 cruises and heard every question because there is no way you could win by yourself in every topic. But it was funny to watch.
This makes me sad. :( Perhaps, she was just very good at trivia and she could have been on the cruise all by her lonesome and this was her one thing each day that she really looked forward to. And, maybe her job and personal life brought her so little satisfaction that this was the one activity that kept her going. I shutter to think how her perhaps fragile psyche would have been impacted had she heard the rude comments directed at her. Now, I feel bad as well just thinking of this poor soul. Or perhaps, she did cheat, who really knows???

I didn't realize it was this competitive lol.... my husband and I generally don't like people so this activity sounds like it would make me stabby, I can't stand cheaters, looks like we'll steer clear of this one lol... I don't think people should give up a win, but if they win three times in a row the least they can do is give away some of their prizes

I don't personally find trivia all that exciting, but we attended a few earlier this year b/c my parents enjoy it. DH and I only joined them for the ones where we thought we'd be useful to them. We won once, the TV music one - DH was allowed to watch far too much TV as a child, and the few things he didn't know (b/c they were too old for him to have seen), my dad did. We won flashlights, which I don't think I've seen mentioned above.

I'm not at all surprised that some people are really, really good at trivia though. It seems to be a very popular activity with my parents' generation (I'm in my 30s). They have friends who go to multiple bars weekly, and although they don't do that - they go on a somewhat regular basis, some times in groups. Perhaps it's a regional thing instead of an age thing, though. I just know that my parents, aunts/uncles, and their friends all seem to do it quite often. If you're someone who spends 4 nights a week at home at various trivia nights, then you're probably going to come off as a cheater on-board, even if you've just amassed piles of knowledge!

I'm really curious as to which sailing this was, as I certainly have encountered trivia drama on past sailings. Some people are extremely competitive and some people are just there to have fun. I'm part of the latter group.

I'm really curious as to which sailing this was, as I certainly have encountered trivia drama on past sailings. Some people are extremely competitive and some people are just there to have fun. I'm part of the latter group.
We're all wired differently. There's nothing wrong with being competitive. We need those people in the world. Just like we need the laid back people. It all balances out.

We're all wired differently. There's nothing wrong with being competitive. We need those people in the world. Just like we need the laid back people. It all balances out.

I agree there's nothing wrong with being competitive. It helped me succeed in Academic Decathlon and math league competitions in high school. :)
I enjoy the adult trivia sessions when I cruise, and I've won a number of them. If I win a prize that's a duplicate of something I already won, I decline to the second place team or to a teammate if I've aligned forces with a fellow cruiser or 2. Sometimes I've recognized trivia questions from prior sailings, and when that happened, I only stayed in the game if it was to help a newbie win. I've never studied trivia questions or cheated in any way.
I was beginning to wonder if perhaps I was the infamous trivia player since I frequently sail solo and prefer longer cruises, like the transatlantic sailings.

I was beginning to wonder if perhaps I was the infamous trivia player since I frequently sail solo and prefer longer cruises, like the transatlantic sailings.
Hopefully you're respectful to CMs and other guests. As long as you are, I see no issues continuing to play trivia, especially since you said you like to give the prizes to second place

Hopefully you're respectful to CMs and other guests. As long as you are, I see no issues continuing to play trivia, especially since you said you like to give the prizes to second place

I am always respectful to CM's and those guests who don't trash-talk me. :)

I can always count on you
for a correction.
Carry on then.
I never knew people took the trivia so seriously they would get upset about other people taking it seriously. I learn something new everyday.

This may be the funniest post I've read on the boards ever!

I laughed so hard I was worried I'd wake the kids.

We had a similar group on our last Princess cruise - know-it-all's that would sit in the front directly in front of the host. They commented on every single question, and it got to the point that the host just ignored them. There was 6 in their group. They won a couple of times, but I was always to happy when they didn't win.

We also had an issue with another group. They were all tanked and super loud. We graded their sheet and it was a mess. They skipped lines and had arrows to point to answers and I could not give them a score. I told them that I couldn't tally their score because I couldn't make sense of their sheets. They tried to win - they somehow scored themselves and ended up getting 2nd place. Who needs to cheat on a cruise ship trivia game. Oy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter