Just off the Wonder, one complaint about adult trivia

If they want to hand out the winnings, that's fine. If they want to take them home for their friends and relatives, that's OK too. So long as they won fair and square.

As to whether you score your own, it depends on the cruise staff. Sometimes they just let people score their own, sometimes they ask teams to switch papers. Sometimes they limit teams to 4, sometimes to 6, and sometimes no limit.

On the Fantasy this past July, all trivia games you switched papers to score. We came close to winning but never did. My husband did end up winning the shuffle board tournament though and came back to the room with one the the DCL Winner medals. I think I was more excited he got the medal than he was!

We played a lot of trivia on our last cruise on the Wonder a few weeks ago and won twice late in the week. Because the prizes were different we didn’t think about giving them to someone else. (If we had gotten another set of luggage tags we would have given them away).

I couldn’t help but think some of the teams were cheating, particularly on one where Jo asked people to shout out correct answers and this one group never did but ended up with a perfect score.

Maybe they should collect all of the sheets at the end of the trivia and draw one at random for a prize? Then everyone has a chance to win (and maybe people would think twice about cheating if they thought their forms were being checked)?

Seems like a rule that only one prize per team would solve this.
And we all know, there is always that **ONE** group that is super loud and obnoxious and it's hard to miss them. They are having a blast and don't care.
I could give a rat's *%$ about a trivia prize. I don't need another key chain or cap. I can understand why some folks would really love that stuff though.

We just got off the Wonder yesterday after a fantastic cruise to Alaska. I will attempt to write a trip report but wanted to post one complaint here for all future cruisers to consider.

Our group of 3 families (10 adults) played just about every adult music trivia contest there was down in the Crown and Fin (loved it!). There was one particular group that was louder than the rest, bordering on obnoxious (yelling over the top of the host, etc.). I'm all for having a good time, and our group did, but even the cast member running the games was getting annoyed with them (IMO). My complaint is that this same group won I think 3 of the 5 trivia games with perfect or near perfect scores (you score your own answers). Many other groups were close (my group would have never won), so why not spread the love...and little prizes? The host even said after they won the 2000's trivia, slightly annoyed (IMO), "oh, here are even more DCL journals for you".

My point is, be considerate and maybe keep score until you win once then let other families share the joy of winning. By all means keep playing, but maybe only win once. We are all on vacation having a good time and something as small as a little trivia win can help make the trip even more memorable.

Please do not respond with "oh, so you think everyone should win...". I do not believe in participation trophies, medals, etc. This is a fun little activity but I think everyone could share the love of DCL with the other passengers.

Unfortunately there was a young gentleman who was like the group you mention on my recent Magic cruise. Even worse he would interrupt the host and was rude to a Cast Member from Argentina about her accent. On the second to last day a Cast Member added bonus points if you could sing the songs. I don't mind smart people, but especially when there are kids playing with their parents let others share the joy AND don't act like jerks to the CM. Also, don't walk up to a small group that has gotten second place to you multiple times and say "See you can't beat me ", especially when a child is in that group

Last edited:
We just got off the Wonder yesterday after a fantastic cruise to Alaska. I will attempt to write a trip report but wanted to post one complaint here for all future cruisers to consider.

Our group of 3 families (10 adults) played just about every adult music trivia contest there was down in the Crown and Fin (loved it!). There was one particular group that was louder than the rest, bordering on obnoxious (yelling over the top of the host, etc.). I'm all for having a good time, and our group did, but even the cast member running the games was getting annoyed with them (IMO). My complaint is that this same group won I think 3 of the 5 trivia games with perfect or near perfect scores (you score your own answers). Many other groups were close (my group would have never won), so why not spread the love...and little prizes? The host even said after they won the 2000's trivia, slightly annoyed (IMO), "oh, here are even more DCL journals for you".

My point is, be considerate and maybe keep score until you win once then let other families share the joy of winning. By all means keep playing, but maybe only win once. We are all on vacation having a good time and something as small as a little trivia win can help make the trip even more memorable.

Please do not respond with "oh, so you think everyone should win...". I do not believe in participation trophies, medals, etc. This is a fun little activity but I think everyone could share the love of DCL with the other passengers.

We were on this cruise too. My wife and I won the 70s trivia (not a perfect score), but I don't think this group was part of it. We did notice them at other trivia sessions, though. If we had won again, we would have given the prizes to someone else, but there wasn't much chance of that, as that group was just rolling through it (and in any case, I've been accused of denying that any worthwhile music was made after the 70s...).

I detest cheaters, and if they cheated on scoring or watching ahead somehow on YouTube then that's not cool. If not, it's a competition and if you don't want them to win then beat them. I get that it's a cruise vacation, but to expect strangers to not be competitive is unrealistic. A large portion of people really enjoy competition and I wouldn't want someone to "let me win".

The most obnoxious woman I ever came across was on a Magic cruise about two years ago. She would always show up at trivia three sheets to the wind with her young daughter. Somehow in her condition, she would always "win" the trivia. On one occasion as she sauntered up to collect her prizes, she turned to the crowd and said " Not everyone can be winners, but I am". This really upset me as there were children playing the trivia with their parents. As I was leaving, I walked up to her and told her that yes she may be a "winner" in her eyes but she had no class saying what she did to the children in the room.

Maybe Disney needs to switch up there trivia questions more often if people are able to go on YouTube and Get answers ahead of time. I've played trivia several times, some more successful than others. It seems like we usually just kept our own answer sheets to score. If people are really cheating on those and marking answers correct that are incorrect, just to get a luggage tag, then I mostly feel sorry for them.

If not, it's a competition and if you don't want them to win then beat them. I get that it's a cruise vacation, but to expect strangers to not be competitive is unrealistic.

I have no problem with competition or people who are competitive, but if it isn't a level playing field, then it is hardly a competitive competition. That is why if you are going to make it a competition, the games need to be structured fairly. In the case described by the original poster, since there were no group size limits, larger groups had a clear advantage, regardless of whether they were actually knowledgeable or not, thus it isn't really a competition.

What always amuses me is people that compete and win in a lop-sided competition, and then seem to think it proves how great they are. There are many examples of this. One that comes to my mind is a group that would go to a public paintball course with their $300 paintball rifles and 500 rounds of paintball ammo, and then try to tell us how great they were. Maybe they did have skill, but until they pick up the same 10-shot pistols we all had, then they weren't really doing anything they could be proud of. Just a shame when people like that get so wrapped up in winning under any circumstances.

We were on this cruise too. My wife and I won the 70s trivia (not a perfect score), but I don't think this group was part of it. We did notice them at other trivia sessions, though. If we had won again, we would have given the prizes to someone else, but there wasn't much chance of that, as that group was just rolling through it (and in any case, I've been accused of denying that any worthwhile music was made after the 70s...).

I hope you had as great of a cruise as we did! We did have our private excursion cancelled in Ketchikan (kayaking) due to the wind but otherwise everything was wonderful and how about that Endicott day! Congrats on the '70's win! I just wish she would have played all the songs right after so we all could have sung along to them!

We are not trivia people, but when our disembarkation was delayed because of fog last Christmas on the Wonder, and we had staked out spots in Promenade Lounge, I and my 3 kids participated in Disney trivia once they had reopened activities for the delay. We tied with another adult couple, and the CM was going to split the prize (4 plastic medals) between our two groups. The couple was so kind to disavow their prizes so that I didn't have to share 2 medals among 3 children. I was very grateful for their kindness.

The most obnoxious woman I ever came across was on a Magic cruise about two years ago. She would always show up at trivia three sheets to the wind with her young daughter. Somehow in her condition, she would always "win" the trivia. On one occasion as she sauntered up to collect her prizes, she turned to the crowd and said " Not everyone can be winners, but I am". This really upset me as there were children playing the trivia with their parents. As I was leaving, I walked up to her and told her that yes she may be a "winner" in her eyes but she had no class saying what she did to the children in the room.
I wonder if she's related to the person on my cruise

I hope you had as great of a cruise as we did! We did have our private excursion cancelled in Ketchikan (kayaking) due to the wind but otherwise everything was wonderful and how about that Endicott day! Congrats on the '70's win! I just wish she would have played all the songs right after so we all could have sung along to them!
Yup, it was fantastic. Agree about the songs - would have been great fun! Sorry to hear about your Ketchikan cancellation - we were lucky that was the bad weather day, because our excursion was snorkeling, and the rain didn't matter.

We played a lot of trivia on our last cruise on the Wonder a few weeks ago and won twice late in the week. Because the prizes were different we didn’t think about giving them to someone else. (If we had gotten another set of luggage tags we would have given them away).

I couldn’t help but think some of the teams were cheating, particularly on one where Jo asked people to shout out correct answers and this one group never did but ended up with a perfect score.

Maybe they should collect all of the sheets at the end of the trivia and draw one at random for a prize? Then everyone has a chance to win (and maybe people would think twice about cheating if they thought their forms were being checked)?

Not really evidence they were cheating. I don't do the yell out thing. They might be shy, they might think that part is dumb. Surprised they don't check the sheets, but I tend to think that if you're so desperate for a free keychain that you'd lie about your score on trivia night, have at it.

I wouldn't expect someone to let anyone win and I'd feel weird if someone "let" me win. Seems a bit ridiculous given we're talking about adults. If they aren't cheating, they just know more than their competition.

Not really evidence they were cheating. I don't do the yell out thing. They might be shy, they might think that part is dumb. Surprised they don't check the sheets, but I tend to think that if you're so desperate for a free keychain that you'd lie about your score on trivia night, have at it.

I wouldn't expect someone to let anyone win and I'd feel weird if someone "let" me win. Seems a bit ridiculous given we're talking about adults. If they aren't cheating, they just know more than their competition.
The whole topic is ridiculous. Adults worrying about who wins, who cheats, who brags, who's too loud, losers not getting concelation prizes .....I mean really people were talking about adults right?
My kids play trivia in the teen clubs all the time. I've never heard them bring up any of this. On our last cruise I did hear the say they got wrecked by the girls in gender wars. They took it like men.

The whole topic is ridiculous. Adults worrying about who wins, who cheats, who brags, who's too loud, losers not getting concelation prizes .....I mean really people were talking about adults right?
My kids play trivia in the teen clubs all the time. I've never heard them bring up any of this. On our last cruise I did hear the say they got wrecked by the girls in gender wars. They took it like men.

Lol. Well, that goes for a surprising number of topics on the dis. I'm often reminded of arguments mom used to mediate between my sister and I...when we were under ten, and playing monopoly. I can just picture the look on CM's face if this was brought to their attention aboard the ship!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter