just curious dont want this to get out of control bathroom use

Trans folk are no more likely to assault you then sis-gender folks, which I assume is the issue. We all gotta use the restroom in public. Women use the men’s room as a hack when the men’s rooms line is shorter.

I think the issue isn't with trans people at all. A true transgender person will do their business and leave the bathroom. I think the real issue is that there are instances of non-trans people doing shady things in women's restrooms and then claiming to be trans. I've seen several news stories about it in various locations. I think the Bucees style bathrooms in public would be perfect. You basically have your own "room" to do your business, but they still fit a ton of them into the bathroom. So they are single use, but there are multiple of them. This protects everyone, including trans people who could end up being the victim of someone trying to do something nefarious.

I flew through BWI yesterday and saw that they are re-doing the bathrooms. Yes, they are still separated by gender, but in the women's room the stalls weren't stalls. They had walls from the floor to the ceiling, and actual doors. I think this is so overdue! I don't know how American bathrooms came about, but they are definitely stalls, and all those cracks around the door? Anybody who tries can see into the stall. How many times have you looked under the door to see if there was anyone in the stall? Sure, you don't stick your whole head under there... but you could, or you could look through the cracks (I see kids do this all the time). I think that if there were more privacy with the way bathroom "stalls" were constructed, it'd go a long way to calming people's fears about sharing the bathroom.

They are still working on the bathrooms? They were working on them in Jan 2023, they should be done by now.?.?

I thought the stalls in the lobby ladies' room were always like a little room with a door. Have you been in this restroom before the redo? Are the walls and door different?

I think the issue isn't with trans people at all. A true transgender person will do their business and leave the bathroom. I think the real issue is that there are instances of non-trans people doing shady things in women's restrooms and then claiming to be trans. I've seen several news stories about it in various locations. I think the Bucees style bathrooms in public would be perfect. You basically have your own "room" to do your business, but they still fit a ton of them into the bathroom. So they are single use, but there are multiple of them. This protects everyone, including trans people who could end up being the victim of someone trying to do something nefarious.
And going along with that, I think many people assume the worst of others instead of the best.

Buc-ee's has a similar setup and they can handle massive crowds. I've seen a line for their restroom snake back towards the front door and I was still in and out in under 10 minutes. They had an attendant stationed at the entrance of the restroom that directed people to open stalls. It can absolutely be done, we just have to stop accepting the cost and corner cutting from our builders/building owners in lieu of our privacy.
The only question is, what about urinals? At least a Buc-ee's they are more enclosed, but some men may still sling things out a little early or leave it out a little too long. That may make some people uncomfortable. I think a better setup is simply individual stalls with individual sinks in each one. When one is done, they simply walk out. Some men can be pigs (I am one, but not a pig). So the sooner women can get out and move on the better. Then there can be a row of urinals behind a separate wall with their own set of sinks. No one wants to sit with their face next to a urinal like you see in a portable toilet. So we wouldn't want those in the individual stalls with the toilets.

The only question is, what about urinals? At least a Buc-ee's they are more enclosed, but some men may still sling things out a little early or leave it out a little too long. That may make some people uncomfortable. I think a better setup is simply individual stalls with individual sinks in each one. When one is done, they simply walk out. Some men can be pigs (I am one, but not a pig). So the sooner women can get out and move on the better. Then there can be a row of urinals behind a separate wall with their own set of sinks. No one wants to sit with their face next to a urinal like you see in a portable toilet. So we wouldn't want those in the individual stalls with the toilets.
In my 50+ years, I don't think I've ever seen a man "sling things out a little early or leave it out a little too long." Even when using the old school "troughs" in some older stadiums, it's not hard to keep your eyes averted so you don't see what you don't want to see.

Seems like another one of those social issues that gets blown WAY out of proportion by those pushing a specific agenda. Have to imagine this still only impacts a tiny % of the population.

Most people don't care or look around to see who else is using the bathroom for the couple of minutes there are there.

And going along with that, I think many people assume the worst of others instead of the best.

Yes. I tend to think worst case scenarios but would like to think the best in people.

I agree there’s no issue with anyone using a bathroom for its intended purpose, it’s the what if’s that some would take advantage of.

My thoughts with the full length walls were:

Smells lingering when someone mentioned exhaust fans.

With the kid crawling under regular stalls, what if they got in an enclosed one and locked themselves in?

And someone else mentioned the practicality of cleaning. A dirty small room sounds worse than a stall.

Like what are you doing in there that you need complete privacy for? Romantic encounters could happen more often. Crime could be more likely, too.

Edit. And the side gaps with an eye level view shouldn’t be so common! Bleh.

I’m a woman, mirrors need to be in common areas, some women spend a lot of time in front of the sinks.

When I was a teen we used to use the men's room at the Spectrum in Philadelphia (concert venue) when the women's room line was too long. We didn't give it a second thought.

DD20's high school had gender neutral bathrooms. No door to the bathroom, just to the stalls.
Ah, yes, The Spectrum. Those ladies rooms lines were always a mile long no matter what type of event was taking place (sports, concerts, family shows, etc.). I occasionally used a stall in the men’s room.

Smells lingering when someone mentioned exhaust fans.

With the kid crawling under regular stalls, what if they got in an enclosed one and locked themselves in?
I would assume there's a key at the manager station.
And someone else mentioned the practicality of cleaning. A dirty small room sounds worse than a stall.
There are places that have complete enclosures that manage to keep them clean. Buckees is one. Yes, you might have to work a little harder, but it's doable.
Like what are you doing in there that you need complete privacy for? Romantic encounters could happen more often. Crime could be more likely, too.
What crime are you worried about? And if a "romantic encounter" happens with the chance of anyone coming in...?

Sorry, I don't get the concern.

As long as the stalls are private, I'm fine. I probably wouldn't notice anyway.

In my 50+ years, I don't think I've ever seen a man "sling things out a little early or leave it out a little too long." Even when using the old school "troughs" in some older stadiums, it's not hard to keep your eyes averted so you don't see what you don't want to see.

ESPN had a college football commercial on it. They were giving tips on fan behavior and when two men were just chatting about the game and turning their heads to look at each other, an ESPN personality interjected that the proper trough etiquette was to always look straight ahead.

I do not care who is using the bathroom, I just want stall doors that don't have gaps on the side and for people to keep their kids from crawling under the door.

Actually, maybe all-use bathrooms would be better overall. No longer lines at the women's restroom at events, baby changing tables available in every bathroom (so dads can change diapers too), less debate on what bathroom dads should take their three-year-old girl to use.

Some places in the U.K., particularly in big cities, have unisex loos. I can’t say that I am keen, but I suppose it does solve the whole he/she/they issue. A friend of my daughter’s was raped in a ladies’ loo in a restaurant, and I think it’s the safety aspect of unisex loos that bothers me most.

On a lighter note, a U.K. school has just announced to parents that if their child identifies as a cat, the school will not be providing them with litter trays! Tabloid news. 😂

A while back a restaurant near me remodeled and included six separate individual rooms labeled “All Gender Restroom.” Each had a toilet and sink.

Of course a few people got bent out of shape over the description.

I like how some airports now have signs showing if there are vacant stalls right at the door. They had soemthing similar at Tokyo Disney Resort where there were lights indicating availability. That can be helpful in busy areas.
Now I'm imagining something like the lights above the empty parking spaces in parking garages and the signs that tell you how many vacant spots there are on each row 😂 but honestly, it's a great idea for large restrooms!

Now I'm imagining something like the lights above the empty parking spaces in parking garages and the signs that tell you how many vacant spots there are on each row 😂 but honestly, it's a great idea for large restrooms!

That's kind of how it was at TDR actually.

dont think it will make a difference.. Stalls with huge gaps etc... havent kept people from being "romantic" in stalls in the past. but this usually only happens at clubs or bars late hours. and usually in a dark corner in a hall on the way to the bathrooms. Pretty sure a couple hooking up at the Olive Garden is a one off. if even

A while back a restaurant near me remodeled and included six separate individual rooms labeled “All Gender Restroom.” Each had a toilet and sink.

Of course a few people got bent out of shape over the description.
Here they are not separate rooms, just one big room with separate cubicles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter