Just back, really aware of changes on the handling of disabled guests

smidgy, I do appreciate your post - it's true it's hard to understand someone's position unless you have been made more aware. I do know a little about macular degeneration (dry) as my older sister has it. She has some loss of vision and blurriness in the center part of her eye, but her Dr. says unless it goes into the wet kind (which CAN happen) she'll likely retain some, if not a lot of her side vision, so should not go blind. But, even in daylight, should not drive. Guess that's what had me puzzled, as she can see, to the extent we can in darkened places, to get around. Anyway, I feel for you, as others with limitations no matter what they are - it's just everyone does not seem to see both sides and are understanding and considerate. Thanks! :goodvibes

smidgy, I do appreciate your post - it's true it's hard to understand someone's position unless you have been made more aware. I do know a little about macular degeneration (dry) as my older sister has it. She has some loss of vision and blurriness in the center part of her eye, but her Dr. says unless it goes into the wet kind (which CAN happen) she'll likely retain some, if not a lot of her side vision, so should not go blind. But, even in daylight, should not drive. Guess that's what had me puzzled, as she can see, to the extent we can in darkened places, to get around. Anyway, I feel for you, as others with limitations no matter what they are - it's just everyone does not seem to see both sides and are understanding and considerate. Thanks! :goodvibes

and thank you for your response!!!:cutie:

smidgy said:
(example: I didn't understand about the wheelchair/evc line at the bus stops. I didn't get why they couldn't just wait in line until the rest of their party, in the regular line, reached the front.. Katieelder explained it so I could understand. now I get it.)
Glad I could help :)

Nope...I agree. I figure they'll iron out their policies soon enough as they figure out who they have affected by the changes and what to do about it.

You are right, they probably will once they see what is happening to others with various disabilities.. and no pun intended with "see" :goodvibes

Seems like driving with low vision would be very dangerous on most highways. Before you say anything, I know the rules, each state is different, and that you are allowed to drive in daylight hours. But, however, seems if you feel safe enough to do that, you would be able to navigate a small darkened hallway "slowly". Disney tries hard, and seems to do a good job, on accommodating most people's needs, but if it means hiring an extra person just for a few people to be guided, they probably wouldn't do it. Most people do have others with them to assist - not too many going it alone if they're not able to navigate the rides that can used by wheel chairs. This has just been my observation. :goodvibes

"low vision" means various eye sight problems, not that you cannot see period. I cannot see in the dark. I don't drive in the dark. My eyes do not make adjustments from light to extreme dark either the way the average person's eyes do. So that is a double whammy. I have no problems in day light what so ever .. but thank you for worrying about me and others on the road. :goodvibes I do hope that someday you don't experience what I, and others have. It is hard to explain to someone that you cannot see, yet you can see.. My driving is fine and so is my drivers license. Again, thank you for your concern..:upsidedow

As far as going about the small dimly lit hall slowly, what about going the dark holding area.. filled with other guests? Did you forget that part for me? That is the first hill I climb before going down that dimly lit hall alone.. slowly. Why should I have to do that, is that equal access? I don't think so, not when they could change it back to the way it was.

Put very very dark sunglasses on outside on a sunny day, walk into a dark room and keep the glasses on. See how comfy you are walking around in there alone.. try it in a dark room with many people. This may give you an idea of how I & others see. Then when you come out, with the same glasses on, you will see that you can once again "see"..

My child is another one who can run and jump and not appear to have any issues, for about five minutes. After that she's exhausted for the rest of the day. She has an autoimmune disorder, cerebral folate deficiency, that causes her to have severe fatigue and weakness. I know people are judging us whenever she gets up out of her special needs stroller to meet a character or to get on a ride or to enjoy some of the play areas throughout the parks for just a few minutes. Some people seem to think you must have total paralysis to qualify for the use of a wheelchair or stroller. Lots of ignorant people live in their own little bubble and have no awareness of the needs of the disabled. I try to ignore the stares and focus on my own family. Occasionally I will respond to the rude comments, but it doesn't seem to help. Some people just don't want to be educated, they'd rather judge.

My son has CFD too, on top of his autism. Never knew fatigue and weakness was an issue with it though. What does your daughter take? My son has been taking leucovorin and we are just adding in Deplin on top of it.

"low vision" means various eye sight problems, not that you cannot see period. I cannot see in the dark. I don't drive in the dark. My eyes do not make adjustments from light to extreme dark either the way the average person's eyes do. So that is a double whammy. I have no problems in day light what so ever .. but thank you for worrying about me and others on the road. :goodvibes I do hope that someday you don't experience what I, and others have. It is hard to explain to someone that you cannot see, yet you can see.. My driving is fine and so is my drivers license. Again, thank you for your concern..:upsidedow

As far as going about the small dimly lit hall slowly, what about going the dark holding area.. filled with other guests? Did you forget that part for me? That is the first hill I climb before going down that dimly lit hall alone.. slowly. Why should I have to do that, is that equal access? I don't think so, not when they could change it back to the way it was.

Put very very dark sunglasses on outside on a sunny day, walk into a dark room and keep the glasses on. See how comfy you are walking around in there alone.. try it in a dark room with many people. This may give you an idea of how I & others see. Then when you come out, with the same glasses on, you will see that you can once again "see"..

If you read, this has been explained and settled, but thanks for your concern.

I just wanted to make clear (in case there was any misunderstanding) that my husband has never used a GAC. and he probably won't.
I am the one checking into the possibilites, what it entails, etc. he probably won't agree to use it anyway. he does not want to take any kind of supposed "advantage", and doesn't want to be treated differently.
I was not specifically referring to the Haunted Mansion, but any dark rides. going through the dark queues (esp. in the daytime) not only cause him a lot of bumps and bruises, but the folks behind us get really ticked off that we aren't walking fast enough. and it can be dangerous, trying to load a moving vehicle in the dark (haunted mansion, Nemo at living seas pavillion, peter pan, buzz lightyear, spaceship earth).
and referencing my husband's driving abilities, I could give a thousand examples of how great a driver he is.. I gave one brief example of a much longer story . the blowout was on the left side, and he didn't want to pull over to the left (we were in the left lane) as we might roll over. and we were in the process of passing the semi when the blowout occurred , with someone barreling down on us suddenly and he kept his wits about him. couldn't slow down or brake suddenly with the jerk behind us all of a sudden, and didn't want to pull off to the left and rollover. all this in a matter of seconds, and I , with my good vision, would have panicked. that was my point. he is a very safe, daytime driver.
of course Disney can't promise the same expereince to all guests, esp those with various disabilities. and I believe they try better than most companies to accomodate those with disabilities.
we are fairly new to this. while he had had low vision his whole life, it had gotten worse over the years, and esp. the last year or two.
when we first fell in love with WDW, we learned about schedules, resorts, adrs, fastpasses, emh,etc. now it seems we should learn a bit about GACs, etc. and we definitely don't want to cut in lines. just learning here folks...and trying to adjust!:grouphug:

wanted to add, anyone trying to "fake" a disablilty would not go to to the lengths of having an injection, in the eye, every other month or so... just to get a supposed "front of the line" pass.
as far as wheelchairs and ecvs, and those who might be waling one minute, and riding the next....
I'll bet anyone who would go through a whole day at WDW with one, just to "fake it" would find out they are actually at a disadvantage .

wanted to add, anyone trying to "fake" a disablilty would not go to to the lengths of having an injection, in the eye, every other month or so... just to get a supposed "front of the line" pass.
as far as wheelchairs and ecvs, and those who might be waling one minute, and riding the next....
I'll bet anyone who would go through a whole day at WDW with one, just to "fake it" would find out they are actually at a disadvantage .

:hug: I know for a fact Nebo isn't faking anything. I hope he uses a GAC if it can help him.

tracy!!!:grouphug: I hope you guys survived the tornados!!! thanks for your kind thoughts. but you know nebo, he probably won't use one anyway.. just trying to get info. I guess it will depend on which bothers him more, the dirty looks from those if he DOES use a GAC, or the dirty looks and loud sighs from those held up behind us as we s l o w l y navigate the dark, winding queues.

My son has CFD too, on top of his autism. Never knew fatigue and weakness was an issue with it though. What does your daughter take? My son has been taking leucovorin and we are just adding in Deplin on top of it.

Same here, Leucovorin and now we're adding Deplin. Amazing how many kids with autism have this condition that nobody knew about until just a few years ago. Fatigue is common, and hers was getting so much worse over the past few years. We traveled to doctors all over the country before we finally got a diagnosis. She was falling asleep in school every day, and now that we homeschool we can manage the fatigue much better.

We were at WDW last week and had a terrible experience on the HH. My grandfather is 86yo and rides a scooter at Disney. We asked to go to the exit like we have always done in the past and we were refused. When my grandfather drove into the dark holding room he hit a wall because he could not see. We had to help him walk to the exit and the CM had to drive the vehicle out. It was a huge scene. It was also a humiliating experience for him and the CM was not compassionate at all. It was also dangerous. This could have been avoided if they had just let him go straight to the exit and park. I did write Disney and I wanted to share here in the hopes that someone with power will see this and can work on the HH situation. They need help with their process and their attitude.

We have been going to Disney for 6 years and have never had a problem like this. We love Disney because it has been so accommodating of a difficult traveling situation in the past years. I hope they work on this. :sad2:

When we went in February with my autistic nephew, we had no issues with any cast members, or lines. The line at HM was very long- we weren't told to stay to the right, so we went to the left, which was longer.

Aside from that, we used our GAC without issue.

The only instance of 'bad vibes' we had, came from a customer, not a staff member.

Thank you for stating this fact about wheelchairs. I need when while in surroundings such as WDW. I try to walk as much as I can using the chair as a walker if you will. I had no idea how much you miss by being in a chair. I used to love to walk down mainstreet & observe the "architecture", now my view is of peoples ... fanny's. That is only one of the disadvantages.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter