Just back, really aware of changes on the handling of disabled guests

jmartinez1895, you posted that "even if your girls were running around 5 min. ago, that doesn't mean they can walk'. Say what? If I were a CM that's exactly what I would wonder. How could they do that and not walk? These kinds of things people are facing were bound to happen because there was so much out right abuse to the system. We've seen people in a group (that's a lot how you see them) take turns riding in a wheel chair with none of them having issues when they were walking. Disney has caught a lot of flack from not just treating everyone equal, but putting handicapped first. When people are all tired, some holding sleeping babies, tempers can flair fast when abuse is seen. So the ones that truly need extra assistance are scrutinized more closely now for that reason. Everyone has rights, none above the other, so some are feeling it more keenly now (even if they deserve it) because sometimes the CM's can't tell by how the person is acting, and may tend to over react because they are being taught to be watchful. Here's hoping the ones that truly need the assistance will be able to receive it courteously. :goodvibes

jmartinez1895, you posted that "even if your girls were running around 5 min. ago, that doesn't mean they can walk'. Say what? If I were a CM that's exactly what I would wonder. How could they do that and not walk? These kinds of things people are facing were bound to happen because there was so much out right abuse to the system. We've seen people in a group (that's a lot how you see them) take turns riding in a wheel chair with none of them having issues when they were walking. Disney has caught a lot of flack from not just treating everyone equal, but putting handicapped first. When people are all tired, some holding sleeping babies, tempers can flair fast when abuse is seen. So the ones that truly need extra assistance are scrutinized more closely now for that reason. Everyone has rights, none above the other, so some are feeling it more keenly now (even if they deserve it) because sometimes the CM's can't tell by how the person is acting, and may tend to over react because they are being taught to be watchful. Here's hoping the ones that truly need the assistance will be able to receive it courteously. :goodvibes
I think one big problem is that people have incorrect perceptions about how guests using wheelchairs are handled in attractions. People think those guests are getting a lot of special treatment, but in fact, most are using the same lines to wait in as everyone else. So, people are getting angry about special treatment they think others are getting.

Mobility Access: Most of the lines are wheelchair accessible thru the regular line (called Mainstream Lines).

The information in italics is the information about Mainstream Lines from the WDW page about Mobility Disabilities:
Walt Disney World Resort strives to provide mainstream access whenever possible; that is, all Guests utilize the main entrance to the attraction. However, accessibility varies from attraction to attraction within Disney Parks. The Guide for Guests with Disabilities and Park Guidemaps use symbols to indicate boarding procedures for each attraction. In addition, Guests should contact a Disney Cast Member at each attraction before entering. Mainstream queues can be found at these attractions at Walt Disney World Theme Parks. (it then goes on to list the Mainstream attractions).

Most attractions for all parks are listed as "Enter through standard queue" for attractions without Fastpass or "Obtain a FASTPASS OR use Standby Queue" on the new Guide for Guest with Disabilities maps for each park I picked up in March 2011. There is also a large red box on the maps which says "Guests with any mobility or queue related assistance needs are encouraged to use the Disney's FASTPASS option where ever possible." There is the same explanation about how to use Fastpass as on the regular park maps.
These are the attractions in each park with a different method of access other than the regular line, as listed on the map:
MK

WDW Railroad:Enter using ramp on the RIGHT on Main Street

WDW Railroad:Enter using wheelchair ramp on RIGHT at Frontierland

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad: Obtain Fastpass or see Host for options. If FASTPASS is not available, enter thru access on RIGHT

Country Bear Jamboree:Enter thru door on LEFT

Hall of Presidents:Enter through door on RIGHT

Liberty Square Riverboat:Enter through exit on RIGHT or LEFT

it's a small world:Follow directional signs to designated load area

Peter Pan's Flight:Obtain FASTPASS or see host for options. If Fastpass is not available, see a host for options.

Snow White's Scary Adventures:Enter through Exit on RIGHT

Prince Charming Regal Carrousel:Enter through exit on RIGHT

Dumbo:Enter using ramp on RIGHT

Tea Party:Enter through exit on RIGHT

Space Mountain:Obtain a FASTPASS or see a host for options. If FASTPASS not available, enter through queue on RIGHT

Epcot

Spaceship Earth:Enter through the exit on the RIGHT or LEFT

Gran Fiesta Tour Starring the 3 Caballeros:Enter through the Standard Queue. Follow directional signs to designated load area.

American Adventure:See a host or hostess for access to second floor

Impressions de France:Enter through LEFT side of entrance hallway

Studio

Great Movie Ride:Enter through the Standard queue. A host will provide directions in the pre-show area

Studio Backlot Tour:Enter through the standard queue and stay to the RIGHT

Fantasmic:Enter through the standard queue and stay to the RIGHT

Animal Kingdom

Wildlife Express Train:Proceed through standard queue. A host will direct boarding

The Boneyard:Enter through the designated access gate

Everything other than these attractions I have listed say to enter through the mainstream or standby queue.

:thumbsup2 I agree! I was just saying that people that abuse the system is what has made a lot of people get upset. You can't tell the fakes sometimes from the real - especially when it comes to buses or other transportation. I think handling it the way they have started to will cut out the fakes more and the true "ones in need" will be accommodated also. I feel for the CM's a lot because they are the "frontliners" who catch a lot of flack when they are just trying to follow the rules of their jobs, (not all it seems. but most). Personally, I have never seen anyone in need being treated rudely, and we are there a lot, but I'm sure, after reading some of these posts, it does happen. But, to be fair, as with any group, I've also seen people in scooters,etc. cop an attitude and loudly proclaim the injustice of Disney. So there you have a lot of the reason why people can get upset. As usual, it just takes a few to give "all" a bad name no matter who you are (example - rude pet owners at FW that don't follow the rules, pick up after their dogs, no leash, etc. that makes all pet owners there have a bad name) pixiedust:

jmartinez1895, you posted that "even if your girls were running around 5 min. ago, that doesn't mean they can walk'. Say what? If I were a CM that's exactly what I would wonder. How could they do that and not walk?

My child for example can be running around and feel fine at 10am, have a seizure at 11am and not be bale to walk for the next 5 hours. You never know what type of problems someone might have. I the CM had asked if the person needs to use the chair ( or stroller) all the way untill boarding or if they can walk short distance would be fine and is how we have always been asked. In the case I was responding to the CM had asked if the person could not walk or did not want to. That IMO is over the line.

My child is another one who can run and jump and not appear to have any issues, for about five minutes. After that she's exhausted for the rest of the day. She has an autoimmune disorder, cerebral folate deficiency, that causes her to have severe fatigue and weakness. I know people are judging us whenever she gets up out of her special needs stroller to meet a character or to get on a ride or to enjoy some of the play areas throughout the parks for just a few minutes. Some people seem to think you must have total paralysis to qualify for the use of a wheelchair or stroller. Lots of ignorant people live in their own little bubble and have no awareness of the needs of the disabled. I try to ignore the stares and focus on my own family. Occasionally I will respond to the rude comments, but it doesn't seem to help. Some people just don't want to be educated, they'd rather judge.

My child for example can be running around and feel fine at 10am, have a seizure at 11am and not be bale to walk for the next 5 hours. You never know what type of problems someone might have. I the CM had asked if the person needs to use the chair ( or stroller) all the way untill boarding or if they can walk short distance would be fine and is how we have always been asked. In the case I was responding to the CM had asked if the person could not walk or did not want to. That IMO is over the line.

What I said had nothing to do with an hour - you stated 5 min. That's quite a difference in time and no ONE CM would see that difference. So if you meant 1 hour, why did you say 5 min? Your position is entirely a different situation than what you posted. I, too, would have doubts about someone RUNNING around and 5 MINUTES later saying they can't walk - reread the post I quoted :goodvibes

What I said had nothing to do with an hour - you stated 5 min. That's quite a difference in time and no ONE CM would see that difference. So if you meant 1 hour, why did you say 5 min? Your position is entirely a different situation than what you posted. I, too, would have doubts about someone RUNNING around and 5 MINUTES later saying they can't walk - reread the post I quoted :goodvibes

Unless you are the child's parent or doctor, I really wish you'd stop judging. There are many medical conditions that can cause a healthy-appearing person to quite suddenly NOT be able to walk. There are also conditions where a parent may have to limit the amount of walking that child does to avoid further aggravation of the condition or even a medical emergency. When at WDW, I frequently have to tell my child to STOP what she is doing and get back in her stroller. If I don't, our day will be ended quite abruptly with her being unable to function at all.

Unless you are the child's parent or doctor, I really wish you'd stop judging. There are many medical conditions that can cause a healthy-appearing person to quite suddenly NOT be able to walk. There are also conditions where a parent may have to limit the amount of walking that child does to avoid further aggravation of the condition or even a medical emergency. When at WDW, I frequently have to tell my child to STOP what she is doing and get back in her stroller. If I don't, our day will be ended quite abruptly with her being unable to function at all.

Was not responding to you :confused3

Just an FYI, but I know someone with periodic paralysis who can suddenly become unable to move without warning despite the fact that she could be walking or using her arms and hands just moments beforehand. There are children with cardiac and respiratory conditions and people who push themselves too hard and then have sudden issues with movement or stamina. Unless you know someone's personal medical situation, then it's not a good idea to make a determination based on your own observation or ideas about their abilities. Just sayin'....

North of the mouse. I don't know if what you saw was a incorrect use or not, but I hope this can help you to understand why I believe that there is very little inappropriate use going on. The only real issue I think has occurred is that Disney failed in controlling the number of guests accompanying the WC/ECV party. ( And honestly I have never seen the large group issues I hear about....seemingly mostly from those who don't use mobility devices.)

There are so many "hidden disability" medical conditions that people honestly don't know about or understand. A day at Disney is very demanding even on a health body. It wrecks havoc on those with medical issues. I am sure that someone at sometime has used and ECV or wheelchair when they didn't need it, thinking that they will get special perks. I think it is a very, very small number and after one day I doubt that anyone ever does it again.

Here are a few of the reasons;

They are expensive to rent (especially ecv's).

They slow you down trying to maneuver in the parks
They view is terrible and frankly you miss out on a lot of the magic trying to watch out for those stepping in front of you.

If it is a wheelchair, someone has to push it. Would you want to push a wheelchair around for someone who does not need it?

I only go during the slow times, but I have found that I normally wait longer in for the rides that are not mainstream than the regular line. Some rides have restrictions on the number of handicap places available or allowed. Test track and Jungle cruise come to mind.

....and the number one reason they won't do it again. You don't get FOTL access!

About the only possible time a wheelchair received anything "special" was the bus line. I won't go into to the looooonnnngggg explanation of that system vs. the new system. Or the many times even then you waited longer than others did. Let me just say spend one FULL day on an ECV or in a wheelchair and see how un-special the experience really is! :rolleyes1

Ok then I will restate since you want to play semantics... At 10 he can be running around at 10:04 have a seizure that last 1 minute and at 10:05 he will no longer be able to walk. It really makes no difference weather it is 5 minutes or 5 days the comment made by the CM in that case was not very kind. It is NEVER ok to ask if someone can walk or if they just don't want to, regardless of what you may think is going on.
This thread was created for those who have had problems getting access that they need. On this board we all tend to face the same things and Beccabunny was telling you why her child may be up and running and 5 minutes later not be bale to walk....which was a direct answer to your question, just from a different person.

PLAY NICE!

And, YES, I AM YELLING!!!!!

UNLESS YOU ARE IN THE BODY OR LIVE WITH THE PERSON, THERE IS NO WAY TO TELL WHO IS DISABLED AND TO WHAT EXTENT.

AND, NO ' THIS DISABILITY IS WORSE THAN THAT AND/OR MORE DESERVING OF ASSISTANCE' .

Thanks, Sue. As someone with a handful of invisible disabilities, I so agree. I know how it is difficult for someone who is not living in my body to understand how I might seem "fine" one minute and not the next. Even some members of my extended family "don't get it." But it doesn't change the fact that it is true.

Since I had to stop driving, (and depend on family for rides to my many doctor appointments,) they are starting to understand a little better!

piper!!!:grouphug: the same can be said for visual disabilities. even sometimes our sons don't get it.

we go into their homes, all the lights are off, cause it's daytime. I go around and turn all the lights on.... "now, you guys knew we were coming, you know dad can't see in the dark" "mom, it's daytime".....

ok, you know dad can't see in "the dim".:rotfl:.

(if you ever read hubby's trip reports, he laughs himself at his disability. you should read his report aout eating at San angel!!! (on the restaurant, review board).

but, it's true... sheesh.. they come into our house and say "why do you have ALL the lights on??? what is your electric bill?" in their defense, his visual problems weren't as bad when they lived with us....but still....

I am new to the disabilites board. let me preface by saying I have (by theory of osmosis, I think, from hubby) a very dry wit, kind of a Stephen wright kind of humor, a self deprecating type humor (now, either I have that correct, or I am incorrectly speaking of a cat missing its litter box.;))

I realize disabilities aren't funny. hubby Nebo doesn't think so either. he isn't very amused when he goes to the retinal specailist and gets injections right in his eye!!!:scared1:

he has always, his whole life, had to deal with life just a little differently, due to his low vision. but more so in the last few years.

being the funny, and extremely intelligent guy that he is, he has dealt with it.. (and with me, too!)

but you could never tell, when looking at him that he has extreme vsion problems. he doesn't use a cane. (he actually hasn't even totally accepted the fact that he has a disability. notice it is me here, not him.)

but, boy, the people behind us in many lines sure notice. I go first, hold his hand. I try to give directions... (great movie ride: soft right hard left, 90 degree right, etc. etc.) and the people behind us are just biting at the bit, cause there might be a few empty feet in front of us, and he is not walking fast enough for them.

we often let them go ahead. quite often, when we do that, al that occurs is , whne the line finally gets to the point where no on is walking anymore... the 20 people we let ahead of us cause we were "too slow" are stopped anyway.

they didn't gain anything by going around us.. well, yes they did, all 20 of them are now ahead of us. oh well

just like in the line for Toy Story Mania. the ride can only load so fast. it is NOT going to put you" back in line" if the family in front of you stops to take a picture in front of Mr. Potato Head. what I usually do is offer to take the picture for the family in front of me, so they can ALL be in the picture.

A customer at the VFW today (I tend bar at the canteen) asked me how my hubby deals with my obsession with Disneyworld. my answer was, "I wanted to go to Vegas once, but he wanted WDW.. hubby LOVES disney!!!"

and he wants to see it, as long as he can. God willing, many years.

To the guests who want to bypass the stretch rooms and think the cast members at the mansion are the most ill in the [disney] world.

The Mansion is a timed operation. By that, I mean when those Mansion doors open, we only have about a minute to transfer about 80-90 guests into a stretch room safely, and create enough room for any guests in ECVs or Wheelchairs. It becomes really awkward when the narrated spiel is going off saying 'No windows and no doors' when the sliding door is still perfectly open because not everyone is fitting inside. 1:
The imagineers need to change it to be an operator prompted operation. Push a button to start the next group of events, door closings, spiels, etc.

The imagineers need to change it to be an operator prompted operation. Push a button to start the next group of events, door closings, spiels, etc.

I don't think that's possible because of the way it's set up and they still would need the cast member inside the stretch room too just in case something happened in there. I think the one in Disneyland may have some more direct control by the CM as it is actual an elevator.

For those with low vision, CMs are not allowed to assume that you will need assistance through a dark area. You must ask for their help, if they say no after that then ask to speak with a manager.

when I asked, I was told that they don't have the staff to provide assistance to have someone walk me thru the dimly lit hall in the HM (the hall that you walk down to skip the stretching room) :confused3 I did ask. Once they happened to have an extra CM around to do it, the other times they did not. Now my problems would be solved if they let me eliminate that dark holding room totally, but they don't because now all guests must go thru it...:confused:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter