Just back, really aware of changes on the handling of disabled guests

sharadoc

Visit WDW since '86, driving since '94.
I guess we should thank the people who take advantage of the system and really don't need special help. You know, get a wheelchair for front of the line, take 18 people in on a 6 person GAC, get your kid to "pretend" so you can get a GAC, rent an ECV to be first on the bus, be in front for shows and parades etc. etc.

We just got back yesterday and we get an alternate waiting area GAC for my DS. We were questioned numerous times by a CM who asked to see DS and "scrutinized" him.

The worst was Haunted Mansion. We can no longer go to the "back" door and wait. As any of you who use that area know, that wait is usually really long, so there's no time benefit to using that area. Anyway, I took DS there and noticed no cast members. Went back to the front area and the greeter cast member told me that they no longer do that, that you go through the regular line, the "straight shot" version. DS has a hard time being surrounded by people, which I explained. He also can't handle the stretching room. So we were instructed to tell the CM when we went in that we wanted to skip the stretching room. He took us through the exit and where did we go? To wait outside on the wall at the ride exit. Where we waited another 10-15 minutes for a CM who came out to take a wheelchair guest. I asked if someone knew we were there and he didn't know, but he took us in as well and passed us to another CM.

So, bottom line, we had to go through the regular line to walk back outside. Plus we had the added stress of dealing with getting him through the line unscathed (or insulting the other guests by touching, or grabbing them).

The explanation by the CM for the change - they found that all guests were not having the same experience, so they wanted to give everyone the same opportunity. I said we didn't need the "same" opportunity, just needed to wait quietly and get on a Doom Buggy. No chance.

I saw other instances of stern questioning, attitude and general "yeah, you better really need this thing" situations. POTC refused to allow us to wait separately and basically said this is your only choice, so we had to go through the regular line. We did okay because of the low crowd situation and holding onto him tightly - two of us.

Sadly, it seems as if those taking advantage of the system have made it harder for those of us who need it. I'm afraid as more of these things change, the less likely we will be to go to Disney World for our vacation.

Oh my, this is discouraging. Guess when we go in March we will learn firsthand what has changed for our daughter and her manuel wheelchair. Yes, those who complained have made it hard for us who really need GACs and extra help.

We won't be going back to the World until November. Hope that things are better by then.

I understand about having to hold on tightly. I let me guard down once at Soarin' and I am sure there is still a girl and her family out there talking about the boy who slapped her. (she had bumped into him while swinging on the metal bars and his response was a quick slap to her arm in response)

Jared has the issue where he likes to touch. He really could care less if he knows you or not...if you look like you have nice skin he just wants a quick touch. If you have nice looking teeth he will jump infront of you and stick his face all up close to see those teeth. If the alternate waiting area is going to be cut from some rides it looks like we may be running the chance we will be getting to know some new people really fast while waiting in line :)

I am sorry that you had such a hard time.We were there in Nov and almost all of the CM's where very nice and helpful. POTC was the nicest for us. They gave us two options for going inside and explained the pros and cons of each choice and once we told the which way we wanted they where super nice. We did notice them studding the GAC more and they would ask which one was named and they would ask us how many. I noticed they where checking dates more and on some rides we would be asked to show the GAC when first entering and then once inside the CM at the loading areas.
In our situation they did not make us feel like they where questioning us, it just seemed like they have had people abusing hte system and they where making sure that the person and the GAC was present and that there where not more of us then was on the GAC.
Again, I am so sorry that they did not give you the same service that we received. did you go to guest services and let them know about your experiences?

How will it work for the HM my DH physically can't get though the HM line with his walker I know because we tried it last time so I hope that made it accessible for WC, EVC, and walkers

How will it work for the HM my DH physically can't get though the HM line with his walker I know because we tried it last time so I hope that made it accessible for WC, EVC, and walkers
What was not accessible?
They removed the turnstiles that were right before the entrance into the building. The entire line is accessible to wheelchairs and ECVs, both the part of the line that goes thru the interactive waiting area and the area that bypasses that.

One of the reasons these ‘issues’ are coming up is changes to the ADA Guidelines which became active in the past year. They require more things to be accessible thru the “Mainstream”. The guidelines are fairly black and white as far as wheelchair access is concerned, but much more tones of gray for other situations.

I have noticed on our last trip in October 2011, that when we did use DD’s GAC, the CMs did scutinize it more. We were asked which of us was ****** (the name on the GAC) and what assistance we needed. We did not need to use DD’s GAC often, but it was looked at each time.

Specifically, on Haunted Mansion, to be able to experience the stretching room was one of the requests from people using mobility devices. When they made that accessible, they ‘closed’ the other access without thinking/realizing that some people were using that way because they wanted/needed to avoid that part of the attraction.

I think it is important for people to let Disney know that some of the changes being done are making it more difficult for some guests. There are sometimes unintended consequences of changes and WDW won’t know the changes caused problems unless people let them know.

Here is a link to the email page for WDW:
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/contact/

For those who want to send a letter or phone call:
Disney Complaints and Comments:
Walt Disney World Guest Communications
P.O. Box 10,040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0040

Disney Guest Relations - 407-824-4321

Put something in the Subject line about disabilities so it gets routed to the correct people to answer your question.
Be as specific as you can in what the problem was, what you need, what was changed, what is helpful, what is not helpful.

We did notice them studding the GAC more and they would ask which one was named and they would ask us how many. I noticed they where checking dates more and on some rides we would be asked to show the GAC when first entering and then once inside the CM at the loading areas.
In our situation they did not make us feel like they where questioning us, it just seemed like they have had people abusing hte system and they where making sure that the person and the GAC was present and that there where not more of us then was on the GAC.

Gosh, would I wish this would've been my experience last month. Not only did I "enjoy" a stunning number of blatant examples of abuse and CM's either not giving a darn about it or being too scared to deal with it (hint guys; don't discuss this with your fellow CM's in such a voice all guests around can understand :rolleyes1 ), but there was an amazing low amount of checking the GAC when I would use it.

No questions many times, multiple times not even being asked "how many". :eek: I carry my GAC in such a way it's folded and it takes a sec to unfold before the can check. One exception left, NONE took the time to check but waived me through almost a bit annoyed when making an attempt to unfold it and/or wanting to show the other side.

Combine the 2 and this was the first time I kinda had steam coming out of my ears after about a day or 12 of this and came to the conclusion it was time to complain. Did so on site and after returning home. Surprise, surprise, I'm hardly the first to tell them given the knowledge of details the already had about these specific incidents. Learned many amazing disgusting stories that didn't surprise me when it comes to those doing it, but did worsen the shock and anger of CM's constantly not checking my GAC nor acting up when something is out of order.

I think it is important for people to let Disney know that some of the changes being done are making it more difficult for some guests. There are sometimes unintended consequences of changes and WDW won’t know the changes caused problems unless people let them know.

Here is a link to the email page for WDW:
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/contact/

For those who want to send a letter or phone call:
Disney Complaints and Comments:
Walt Disney World Guest Communications
P.O. Box 10,040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0040

Disney Guest Relations - 407-824-4321

Put something in the Subject line about disabilities so it gets routed to the correct people to answer your question.
Be as specific as you can in what the problem was, what you need, what was changed, what is helpful, what is not helpful.

Thanks Sue. I will write. I understand your explanation better than the way it was explained to me.

We visited DAK this past Saturday and DHS yesterday. Fortunately I saw no abuse, had no trouble getting the GAC I needed and had wonderful CM's who took me personally back to the SD break area that was behind a gate at DHS. I actually felt that I got more care and attention than ever in the past. We were a party of 7 including a 2 year old and used the card only once. I really don't recall if it was scrutinized but my disability is very apparent and no one tried to use the card without me since that is not allowed anyway. We didn't use the busses, but the "guest medical parking" was totally full at DHS by noon so my party had quite the hike from the parking lot where we were allowed to park on the end. The parking attendant had put up a cone so no one parked next to my lift. All in all, I was impressed with the actions of all the CM's that we came in contact with over the past two days and it really made the short trips to the parks enjoyable.

Honestly, I think the changes are mostly Disney trying to save costs.

The more they mainstream the lines, the less time it takes an employee to provide assistance, and the better for the bottom dollar. I am sure that Disney sees that in the future with all the baby boomers, ECV/wheelchair use will only increase. Many of those users do not need special access.

They still need a GAC system for those who can not mainstream. I think they are just trying to be sure that they don’t give out GAC’s unnecessarily. Now to my eyes, I honestly have not seen any abuse for any of the current access methods, not even with the bus system. I hear that sometimes a party with too many people will try to board a bus together, but really that could be easily fixed.... "just say no". More about the bus system later...

I think mainstreaming the cue in Haunted Mansion is great. It allows some people to enjoy the stretching room who might not have been able to before. They just need to continue the exit access for those who need it.

IMO the bus change was a horrible idea. I suspect that Disney would like to discourage ECV use on the bus system for for many reasons, and encourage people to rent them in the parks. I also think able body people whining and making a fuss when a wheelchair was loaded before them influenced the decision even more.

Unfortunately with the limits on the number of available spaces on the bus for ecv/chairs, I don’t see how the new system can efficiently move large numbers of ECV's. I hope that when problems arise, strong feedback will be sent to Disney. I feel that this is a step backward for equal access and a much more dangerous loading situation for everyone.

Now I wish they would do something for the pirates ride. If you are there alone and can't push yourself through the line, or stand in long line, you can not ride at all. Unlike Mansion, there is not a place to wait untill you have a short walk.

I second the comment about increasing access to POTC but would like to add SP, RnR and TOT. At these rides you must leave your ECV and use a wheelchair, I can't wheel myself and my DS is not strong enough to push me for very far and DH is not always with us. I would love to be able to enjoy these rides!

The last 3 times we have been at WDW we had the GAC for my DS who is autistic, some CM do get annoyed but most have been very nice. We did receive mostly bad vibes at Haunted Mansion and the Snow White Ride. The reason we go to WDW is because it is one of the places my DS loves going to. When we go in October I hope it's not a bad time..
You still need to show a doctors note? That hasnt changed? Or is it More proof?

I don't want to hijack this thread but...with talk of changes and my family's trip in 2 weeks...we are traveling with my dad, who has Parkinsons. He does walk, with a cane, however, he will be trying a ECV for the first time. So do we need to take him to get a GAC? I thought with a ECV or wheelchair you didn't, but what about the cane?

I mean, his disability is 'visible' if you watch him shuffle along or look closely at his hands (tremors), but it's not apparent on a quick glance-I just want to make sure we handle this right, Dad is already taking a big step by trying the ECV and feels like people will think he's 'cheating' if he gets up to walk (he walks, it's just long distances are a problem as well as stairs or uneven surfaces and he is slow and could be knocked down easily- I have explained to him that that is what the ECV is for! and he won't be the only walker using one). I just don't want him getting hassled at every ride-and he has specifically mentioned Haunted Mansion as 'the one' he wants to ride! :eek:

I'm not sure how to approach this, I want to follow the rules and whatnot but they seems unclear...

I don't want to hijack this thread but...with talk of changes and my family's trip in 2 weeks...we are traveling with my dad, who has Parkinsons. He does walk, with a cane, however, he will be trying a ECV for the first time. So do we need to take him to get a GAC? I thought with a ECV or wheelchair you didn't, but what about the cane?

I mean, his disability is 'visible' if you watch him shuffle along or look closely at his hands (tremors), but it's not apparent on a quick glance-I just want to make sure we handle this right, Dad is already taking a big step by trying the ECV and feels like people will think he's 'cheating' if he gets up to walk (he walks, it's just long distances are a problem as well as stairs or uneven surfaces and he is slow and could be knocked down easily- I have explained to him that that is what the ECV is for! and he won't be the only walker using one). I just don't want him getting hassled at every ride-and he has specifically mentioned Haunted Mansion as 'the one' he wants to ride! :eek:

I'm not sure how to approach this, I want to follow the rules and whatnot but they seems unclear...
I would tell him to use the ECV as much as possible in lines.
Will reply more later

I know the experts will give you a better answer, but for now the quick answer is that you dad will not need a GAC for what you described. He should be able to take the ECV through the line at HM and be with you guys the whole time.

Also, lots of people who can walk will be on ECV's. Some take them through lines and some people feel more comfortable parking them and going in the line. ( But if you walk the line be prepared for a lot of standing, sometimes on inclines) Non-walking is not the only medical condition that requires their use.

Have fun and tell your dad not to worry!:goodvibes

You still need to show a doctors note? That hasnt changed? Or is it More proof?

You do not need a note from your doctor. If you bring one they will not even look at it. You will have to be prepared to tell them what it is you need or what it is that you can not do.

I also found that the Haunted Mansion CM's were the most unhelpful and unfriendly towards my special needs. I wonder if the CM's with the least people skills get assigned there in the hopes that their attitudes will come off as just being spooky or scary instead of aloof and disinterested.

I also found that the Haunted Mansion CM's were the most unhelpful and unfriendly towards my special needs. I wonder if the CM's with the least people skills get assigned there in the hopes that their attitudes will come off as just being spooky or scary instead of aloof and disinterested.

I hope that's not the case! IMO if a CM does not assist you appropriately or has a bad attitude, then ask for a supervisor. If you have time, I'd then fill out a report at Guest Services. There's no excuse for a CM to have an attitude issue with a Guest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter