• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just Back! I must say..WDW has…...

tim123

DIS Veteran
Hello Dis Board members.
I've just returned from 10 days at the Polynesian on my first solo trip ever. I have to say that WDW has changed in many ways that I find disheartening. So lets get to them first: Number one thing I found that really gets to me is the generic branding 'Disney Parks'…it was hard to find the name 'Walt' at WDW. Its disappearing. I was told by several very long time employees that this is a conscious move by the higher ups. With the removing of Walt's name goes the philosophy of his dream as well. "Disney Parks" is everywhere, on all shopping bags, all cocktail napkins, and on many CMs shirts just to give an example. This bummed me out because I was at the one and only 'Walt Disney World' not Paris or Hong Kong.
The other thing I noticed that was troubling was the absence of resort specific merchandise. The Contemporary had nada, zip, not a single item of clothing, a cap, a mug, nutin. And to top that off the CM didn't know, and didn't care. The newbies are clueless while the old timers retain the tradition of curtesy and efficiency. Typhoon Lagoon had not a single item that said Typhoon Lagoon on it. On the other hand the WL had tons of stuff and The Poly finally added enough items with the logo as a keepsake at the end of my stay to make me happy.
Lastly, I think they made a mess of the Polynesian by ripping out the fountain in the lobby and throwing it in the trash. And bulldozing Sunset Point where soooooo many memories are in the hearts of thousands was a thoughtless corporate blunder. The bungalows are hideous up close. With that said I am not opposed to DVC, just the greedily way they plopped them down in everyones's view.
OK, now that the negative part is over let me explain the positive. My time at the Polynesian and resort wide was fabulous, the weather was wonderful, not so brutally hot as I expected, the resort was empty and the staff was unbelievable. Everywhere I went and being solo I went everywhere... I encountered amazing people who work for the mouse. ALL of em were pleasant and many of them particularly the old timers were the highlight of my visit. I spent most of my time around the Lagoon and zipping into the MK. The MK was just so well maintained, spotless, decorated to the max, totally uncrowded, 10 minute wait for nearly everything during those 10 days. It was a beautiful time all around.
I am a photographer and I have made a film for all of you who love the world. Its 11 minutes. It's enjoyable to watch for those of us that love the magic. It moves well and there are some very beautiful images included. I hope you will watch and enjoy. I made it for you all who love WDW as I do. Please watch it in HD/full screen. It works only on a computer and not smart phones. If anyone has any questions about my time there feel free to ask.
Tim
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCDjdbRcEHU&feature=em-upload_owner

Really nice video, I truly enjoyed it. Loved your background music choices too!

Despite the negatives, it looks like you had a great time.

Thanks for sharing!

I have gone to WDW 3 times in 9 years. None of this (except the poly thing) is new.

Disney Parks branding has been around a long time, and most of the resort specific merch has been gone a long time also... I would say close to 10 years.

SOME of the resort specific merch is coming back. There definitly has been a slight trend back to the old ways on that front. Also area/ride specific merch is also on its way back, at least to some degree. The new HM gift shop is a step along those lines.

The poly is changing, I'm sorry about that. But Disney is a for profit company that has a legal requirement to grow its business. Focusing on the negatives, and really looking for them, will always reward you with a disappointing experience.

I have noticed the Disney Parks things as well but I just figured it was to streamline merchandise that can be sellable at the parks, Disney Store online etc. It's definitely hard to find WDW specific merchandise and I too wish that was different. I know others have mentioned the resort specific merchandise as well but I again think it is for the same reasons. Hopefully enough of us asking for it might result in a change but we are a small voice.

I am glad you seemed to enjoy yourself despite the short falls. Wonderful video as well!

I have gone to WDW 3 times in 9 years. None of this (except the poly thing) is new.

Disney Parks branding has been around a long time, and most of the resort specific merch has been gone a long time also... I would say close to 10 years.

SOME of the resort specific merch is coming back. There definitly has been a slight trend back to the old ways on that front. Also area/ride specific merch is also on its way back, at least to some degree. The new HM gift shop is a step along those lines.

The poly is changing, I'm sorry about that. But Disney is a for profit company that has a legal requirement to grow its business. Focusing on the negatives, and really looking for them, will always reward you with a disappointing experience.
Excuse me and thanks for the lesson in corporatetism…um if you bother to see the film you will CLEARLY see a person having a FABULOUS time at WDW! And sharing observations about our recent experiences is what this forum is about.
I was there last year and this time round the 10 year changes I missed last year were very pervasive to me this time around. Thanks for enlightening me about corporations legal responsibility to be greedy.

I agree with your disappointment with the general switch from Walt Disney World to Disney Parks on consumables....but if they want to give out fewer "free souvenirs" AND stop selling souvenirs? It's not a corporate push, I didn't notice as much Disney Parks stuff at Disneyland this summer.

FYI, Walt named his Florida Project "Disney World". After Walt's death, his brother, Roy, changed the name to "Walt Disney World" as a tribute to his brother. Technically, putting the name "Walt" in the title was not the original intent.

I have noticed the Disney Parks things as well but I just figured it was to streamline merchandise that can be sellable at the parks, Disney Store online etc. It's definitely hard to find WDW specific merchandise and I too wish that was different. I know others have mentioned the resort specific merchandise as well but I again think it is for the same reasons. Hopefully enough of us asking for it might result in a change but we are a small voice.

I am glad you seemed to enjoy yourself despite the short falls. Wonderful video as well!
Thank you for taking the time to see the film. I had an amazing time at WDW and wish to express that though I had a few negative observations by far and wide I enjoyed myself and experienced amazing things this time like, Keys to the Kingdom tour, opening show..(that Mayor is amazing..got a tear outa me!)…etc. I believe its possible to run a corporation well, make a profit, a good profit AND keep the loving, magical ideals that Walt created…they did it for many many years just fine at WDW…until the recent corporatization/gobalization take over of our planet in the last years.. old timers know what Im talking about.
Not having a single t shirt that says magic Kingdom on it in the Magic Kingdom is an example of where the human touch is missing.

I agree with your disappointment with the general switch from Walt Disney World to Disney Parks on consumables....but if they want to give out fewer "free souvenirs" AND stop selling souvenirs? It's not a corporate push, I didn't notice as much Disney Parks stuff at Disneyland this summer.

FYI, Walt named his Florida Project "Disney World". After Walt's death, his brother, Roy, changed the name to "Walt Disney World" as a tribute to his brother. Technically, putting the name "Walt" in the title was not the original intent.
yep know that…the Walt movie at HS is wonderful..His brother Roy said "I am only gonna say this once! Its WALT Disney world." I think the powers that be should keep that tradition alive out of respect for what was created on the swamp and for the 700,000,000 who've felt the fun and magic and memories.
I'm a stickler for history and tradition and balance of profit and ethics.

Thought the video was great! There are some really beautiful pics in there! Glad to hear that you had a good trip.

Excuse me and thanks for the lesson in corporatetism…um if you bother to see the film you will CLEARLY see a person having a FABULOUS time at WDW! And sharing observations about our recent experiences is what this forum is about.
I was there last year and this time round the 10 year changes I missed last year were very pervasive to me this time around. Thanks for enlightening me about corporations legal responsibility to be greedy.

Just as I must has misunderstood your post, you mis-understood mine.

I was trying to point out that these "changes" have been around for a ling time, and that many of them as slowly changing back. ( A positive comment on my part)

As for the greedy corporation part... granted it might have been a bit harsh, but it gets exhausting reading all of these complaining threads about Disney greed... I deal with it because I know what it is and what to expect... I don't fight it and pretend it doesn't exist, and then get upset or disappointed when it smacks me in the face.

I'm glad you had a good time, but your post started off with the negatives and that set the tone that I picked up. (and no, i didn't watch the video.. I'm not where i can see it right now, I will watch it later I promise)

Sorry for any misunderstanding.:worship:

Just as I must has misunderstood your post, you mis-understood mine.

I was trying to point out that these "changes" have been around for a ling time, and that many of them as slowly changing back. ( A positive comment on my part)

As for the greedy corporation part... granted it might have been a bit harsh, but it gets exhausting reading all of these complaining threads about Disney greed... I deal with it because I know what it is and what to expect... I don't fight it and pretend it doesn't exist, and then get upset or disappointed when it smacks me in the face.

I'm glad you had a good time, but your post started off with the negatives and that set the tone that I picked up. (and no, i didn't watch the video.. I'm not where i can see it right now, I will watch it later I promise)

Sorry for any misunderstanding.:worship:
No prob…It started off with the negative because all is not rosy in life..theres shadows and light and I am aware and embrace both. And I also think people on these boards REALLY want feedback from WDW lovers of which I surely am.
I also didn't mean to sound harsh in my reply.. Hope you watch the film..you will see a happy camper to the max and a lover of WDW. I just wish the suits had a tad more soul in their cold greedy hearts.. You can tell I'm not a corporate kinda guy…Time is fluid and one day we'll be able to time travel and visit the park in the old days before the expected 50% annual return on stocks..in the days of buy and hold..when 3 percent a year was a good investment. 1971---late 80s...

I really enjoyed the video and the music. The sunset towards the end of the video was stunning! Thanks for for making my morning a little happier.

I really enjoyed the video and the music. The sunset towards the end of the video was stunning! Thanks for for making my morning a little happier.
You are welcome. Made it for you. It trills me that you took the time to watch, it brightened your day and that you gave me feedback. I can not tell you how much fun, joy, tears and magic I had 10 days solo at the Polynesian. The magic is STILL there..if one overlooks some negatives…I frickin love the place. Nobody gets it amoung my family and friends they think Im looney.!

My heart breaks at the thought of the changes to the Poly lobby and the bungalows blocking the beach....

Thank you for sharing the wonderful video. I'm an old timer and I know what you are talking about. :thumbsup2

Really lovely video -- thanks for sharing it!

It's interesting... while I've noticed those same changes -- and as a PP said, most have been around for a while, and one is even reversing somewhat more recently -- one of the things that I think your video does is put that in perspective. Whether the napkins say "Disney Parks" or "Walt Disney World", or whether I can find a Contemporary t-shirt on this trip or not pales in importance to all the wonderful things that keep many of us going back to WDW so many times!

And I know you had a great time despite those things -- which is terrific -- and makes sense!! :)

You are an amazing photographer! Thank you so much for sharing your video. It highlights so much of the reason I've enjoyed going to WDW for almost 40 years. I've griped about a lot of the recent changes; your video reminds me that despite that, there's still so much about WDW that hasn't changed.

My 2 cents on merchandise -- the more generic it gets, the less likely I am to buy them. I know people are all different -- but I tend to buy when it touches my heart strings... a generic mug, shirt, hat, etc...that you can buy in every park, on either coast, doesn't do it for me. But that is just me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter