Jussie Smollett's "Hate Crime"

Status
Not open for further replies.
As of now, the case is still being investigated and though some media sources have stated that Jussie’s story may be false, Chicago PD has yet to confirm, and they’ve been very clear that there is A LOT lot of misinformation out there. I see some of that misinformation being repeated in this thread.

Jussie Smollett never claimed that the attackers shouted anything political or wore MAGA hats. Some media outlets reported that, but Jussie Smollett refuted those reports as did the Chicago PD.

This is such a divisive news item. I’d love to ask you OP: why would you start a thread like this on this forum? I’m sincerely interested. There are other, more suitable forums to discuss divisive topics like this. What kind of discourse do you expect on this topic? Are you looking for a sounding board?

As of now, the case is still being investigated and though some media sources have stated that Jussie’s story may be false, Chicago PD has yet to confirm, and they’ve been very clear that there is A LOT lot of misinformation out there. I see some of that misinformation being repeated in this thread.

Jussie Smollett never claimed that the attackers shouted anything political or wore MAGA hats. Some media outlets reported that, but Jussie Smollett refuted those reports as did the Chicago PD.

This is such a divisive news item. I’d love to ask you OP: why would you start a thread like this on this forum? I’m sincerely interested. There are other, more suitable forums to discuss divisive topics like this. What kind of discourse do you expect on this topic? Are you looking for a sounding board?

In his own interview he said the attacker said "This is MAGA country bleeped expletive" and then punched him in the face.
I think that qualifies as political.

In his own interview he said the attacker said "This is MAGA country bleeped expletive" and then punched him in the face.
I think that qualifies as political.

Okay, I didn’t realize repeating a statement like that was viewed as political. He also stated that the attackers yelled racial and homophobic epithets. I wouldn’t consider any of that political. Are you offended that Jussie said the attackers yelled “this is MAGA country?” Why is that a significant part of his report?

I’d love to ask you OP: why would you start a thread like this on this forum? I’m sincerely interested.

The question would be why NOT start a thread "like this" on this forum? Like this? My goodness. This is a headline story. I can't believe nobody has started a thread about Jussie before I did, to be honest.

Are you familiar with how discussion boards work? Currently there are discussions on the Community Board that could easily be taken elsewhere. Menopause, true crime, soap operas, missing persons, Broadway, college, abused children, open relationships, etc.

What is so divisive about this? And I am sincerely interested in that. People say this thread is going to get ugly and to close it. I am scratching my head over that. A popular actor has made up a horrific story. This actor paid someone to tie a rope around his neck and then reported a hate crime. Who would side with this man?

The question would be why NOT start a thread "like this" on this forum? Like this? My goodness. This is a headline story. I can't believe nobody has started a thread about Jussie before I did, to be honest.

Are you familiar with how discussion boards work? Currently there are discussions on the Community Board that could easily be taken elsewhere. Menopause, true crime, soap operas, missing persons, Broadway, college, abused children, open relationships, etc.

What is so divisive about this? And I am sincerely interested in that. People say this thread is going to get ugly and to close it. I am scratching my head over that. An actor has made up a horrific story. An actor paid someone to tie a rope around his neck and then reported a hate crime. Who would side with this man?

Thank you for responding! You are not the OP. I’d prefer to hear from him/her since my question was directed there. :)

Okay, I didn’t realize repeating a statement like that was viewed as political. He also stated that the attackers yelled racial and homophobic epithets. I wouldn’t consider any of that political. Are you offended that Jussie said the attackers yelled “this is MAGA country?” Why is that a significant part of his report?

This is from your post above, where you also spoke about all the misinformation out there.

I was just correcting your own misinformation. He did in fact claim that his attackers, or at least one of them shouted something political.

As far as being offended, well I'm not really offended by what JS claims, unless of course he is actually lying and orchestrated this himself. In which case every single person, regardless of color, political leaning, or sexual orientation should be offended by this man and what he said and did.

An actual hate crime is, of course, totally & completely horrible...something that almost everybody would speak out against.

What is also pretty bad is when somebody fakes a hate crime. Or makes up ANY story claiming that somebody attacked them, assaulted them, etc., when it did not actually happen.

When the facts all come out about this alleged incident, if the facts demonstrate that the alleged victim made it all up and even paid other people to attack him, well...I will not have any nice things to say about that person.

I can understand not turning over the cell phone right away. Given celebrity status, all someone has to do under police’s custody is take a screenshot of anything & sell it to the tabloids. Our phones are basically a personal diary and personal assistant. I wouldn’t turn over my cell phone right away either. DH said the same because majority of his work which is confidential is linked into his phone.

To me, it seems the case might of have some sort of intoxication involved which can explain why and how the story may not all be there or seems broken. Hope this case is not fake because it only hurts other true cases and victims in the long run.

This is from your post above, where you also spoke about all the misinformation out there.

I was just correcting your own misinformation. He did in fact claim that his attackers, or at least one of them shouted something political.

As far as being offended, well I'm not really offended by what JS claims, unless of course he is actually lying and orchestrated this himself. In which case every single person should be offended by this man and what he said and did.

Hello Hikergirl,

Thank you for responding and correcting my post. Your position on this topic is pretty clear, which is fine. I’ve been warned that I should remove myself from this thread. I hadn’t seen a thread like this before and was taken aback and quite disturbed. I wish you and the other posters in this thread well. Have a great night! :)

The brothers who were arrested then released are black. Why would they be using racial slurs against another black guy?
Because they were hired to do so. By the "victim".

Jussie also reported in January that a letter filled with racist messages was mailed to him. Along with a crushed up white substance, which turned out to be Tylenol. I wonder if that was also a hoax that Jussie was a part of?

Last edited:
Hello Hikergirl,

Thank you for responding and correcting my post. Your position on this topic is pretty clear, which is fine. I’ve been warned that I should remove myself from this thread. I hadn’t seen a thread like this before and was taken aback and quite disturbed. I wish you and the other posters in this thread well. Have a great night! :)

I don't think you need to remove yourself, we are all adults here and can hopefully have a civil discussion about a current news event. :)

My position is quite clear. People who fabricate stories of a hate crime in order to push and agenda and/or personally benefit from the publicity are reprehensible. While I gave JS the benefit of the doubt up until recently it is becoming clear IMO that he did in fact make this whole thing up.

I don't think you need to remove yourself, we are all adults here and can hopefully have a civil discussion about a current news event. :)

My position is quite clear. People who fabricate stories of a hate crime in order to push and agenda and/or personally benefit from the publicity are reprehensible. While I gave JS the benefit of the doubt up until recently it is becoming clear IMO that he did in fact make this whole thing up.

Totally agree with you. I get wanting to bring attention to something, but this is 100% the wrong way to go about it.

what a crazy world we live in, when it happened I believed him but I was wondering why he didnt take the rope off his neck, that would of been the first thing I would do

Would it, though? I think I’d be in too much shock to think clearly. It’s hard to say what you’d do unless you’ve been in the situation.

Would it, though? I think I’d be in too much shock to think clearly. It’s hard to say what you’d do unless you’ve been in the situation.

thats what i figured, were all different but like i said I believed him but for myself,that struck me as odd (the instrument that was used to try and kill me, would be off my neck, like right now)

Again, what is the ugly mess? I ask that with this utmost sincerity.

Don't put an allegation of a hate crime in quotes and feign sincerity. I am at least willing to wait until the authorities make an official declaration of events before deciding who is in the wrong. Like I said, I don't know this guy or his work, and am least wiling to wait for an investigation to be completed before jumping on a victim's back. Until then, the very title you chose to use is inflammatory. I have seen lesser issues cut short on the DIS.

I personally want the truth to come out. Whatever that might be. It isn't my job to figure out what is true and what isn't. I wasn't there so I am not going to try to figure it out. Maybe it happened, maybe it didn't. Sure, it is suspicious but at the same time things of that nature have happened before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter