JUNE W.I.S.H. Challenge - Looking Ahead

Topic Tuesday ~ An important component of health is sleep. Has/how has everything that’s been going on affected your sleep?

When Coronavirus first arrived in Australia and nearby on the coast - I wasn't sleeping very well at all! I was having nightmares and just general lack of sleep with my mind unable to switch off. As time passed though my sleep did improve and then a few weekends ago I updated my pillows to memory foam concave shape and a memory foam mattress topper and I have slept just SOOOO much better. It does make such a difference when we are able to have a good restful sleep. It also helps that we are doing so well with managing the virus so far here.

I met with a diabetes educator today and she set me up with a blood glucose monitor - she thinks I should be able to turn things around and reverse it by getting back on my low carb/keto eating and losing weight. She agrees that I was probably borderline then got a push from genetics and my inability to be very active for the first part of the year combined with my poor food choices. So that was good to hear. But for now it is daily blood glucose monitoring. She didsay that I would always have to monitor my blood glucose moving forward even if I do wind it back but maybe not daily in future and that I need to always be mindful of food choices otherwise it will return or get worse.

I just found out today that my niece who got married last year and is in her mid twenties - has just been told it is highly unlikely she will be able to get pregnant - she has a rare condition where she has 2 uterus/cervix. She is obviously devastated. I know I would be if had been told I couldn't have a baby - I feel bad for her. Obviously there are a few other options - but it all takes time to process emotionally. Some women do have babies with the condition and I have seen that some even have twins - one in each uterus - but I think it depends on the size as miscarriage and pre-term labour is common apparently due to lack of space.

Topic Tuesday ~ An important component of health is sleep. Has/how has everything that’s been going on affected your sleep?
I have been struggling with sleep! Part of it is anxiety. If I wake up, my mind starts going and I can’t fall back to sleep. But I think a larger part of it has been the change in routine. We’ve been struggling to find a routine for my son to be on the Xbox with his friends for socialization when his friends don’t get on until later at night. The rest of my house doesn’t go to bed until about midnight and wakes up closer to ten. While I try to go to bed closer to 10 and wake up around 7-7:30. It was earlier at the beginning of this Stay at Home period, but I adjusted slightly to everyone else sleeping in. But it’s all just really messing with my sleep!

I just found out today that my niece who got married last year and is in her mid twenties - has just been told it is highly unlikely she will be able to get pregnant - she has a rare condition where she has 2 uterus/cervix. She is obviously devastated. I know I would be if had been told I couldn't have a baby - I feel bad for her. Obviously there are a few other options - but it all takes time to process emotionally. Some women do have babies with the condition and I have seen that some even have twins - one in each uterus - but I think it depends on the size as miscarriage and pre-term labour is common apparently due to lack of space.
I’m so sorry! I went through infertility issues as well (not the same conditional as your niece though). It definitely is a rollercoaster of emotions. My thoughts are with her!

At times, yes. I would see so many stories on the news that would just break my heart and I would have a hard time letting it go. And to be honest, what’s going on now is keeping me awake some nights as well. These are terrible times right now and I feel so helpless.
Anyway, what I tell myself at 4:00 in the morning when I’m staring at the ceiling is that I will sleep well the following night. And I do.

When Coronavirus first arrived in Australia and nearby on the coast - I wasn't sleeping very well at all! I was having nightmares and just general lack of sleep with my mind unable to switch off. As time passed though my sleep did improve and then a few weekends ago I updated my pillows to memory foam concave shape and a memory foam mattress topper and I have slept just SOOOO much better. It does make such a difference when we are able to have a good restful sleep. It also helps that we are doing so well with managing the virus so far here.

I met with a diabetes educator today and she set me up with a blood glucose monitor - she thinks I should be able to turn things around and reverse it by getting back on my low carb/keto eating and losing weight. She agrees that I was probably borderline then got a push from genetics and my inability to be very active for the first part of the year combined with my poor food choices. So that was good to hear. But for now it is daily blood glucose monitoring. She didsay that I would always have to monitor my blood glucose moving forward even if I do wind it back but maybe not daily in future and that I need to always be mindful of food choices otherwise it will return or get worse.

Your diabetes educator sounds wonderful! And like a very positive person that will be in your corner!
But your poor niece! What a shock it must have been. Hopefully there is a treatment/solution that will be right for her.

Good question - I have never felt like I got enough sleep. DH is one of those people who just doesn't require much sleep and I tend to stay up with him at night. He gets up earlier than I do every day and never seems tired. I on the other hand, feel like I could sleep anytime of the day lol.

Now though, I tend to fall asleep quickly, but I've been waking up in the middle of the night a lot more. I never used to do that and when I wake up, I have a harder time falling back asleep. It's like I just can't get comfortable in bed for some reason.

My work day is from 7-4. Luckily I live close to work, so I just have to leave around 6:45 each morning. We tend to go to bed around 11:30 and I usually get up about 6:10, so I get around 6.5 hours a night. I know I just need to go to bed earlier, but I get sucked into the tv shows DH is watching lol.

So sorry to hear about your Niece, it has to be devastating news.

I generally sleep well. I get to bed around 10:30pm and get up around 6:00am, at least on work days. I was being woken every couple of hours to put fresh cat food down but now that it is just Whitehall I am going to try and re-program her to go thru the night without waking me up... last night she just got me up at 3am, and I was able to get right back to sleep.

I have a foam pillow that I quite like, and have been thinking of adding a foam topper to the mattress, just to make it a bit cushier.

I think taking an evening walk helps me to unwind and de-stress, and it can be quite late now since the sun is up until 9pm. And doing a meditation before bed also helps. I'm having issues with my feet getting super cold and numb in spots, and when that happens it keeps me awake. I've been doing a CBD epsom salt soak and rubbing on CBD lotion and that is helping. I'm still waiting to hear back from the acupuncturist to see when I can start doing treatments to address the issue, which I am really looking forward to.

I got a quick walk in the rain in this morning, dropped my car off at the auto shop and walked home. I'm still on the fence about getting a new car or not, there's no way I could give this one up right now... I've had it for 15 years and it would just be another loss. If I did something it would be later in the fall but a lot will depend on if it needs repairs and how much that will cost. I guess I'll be hearing about that soon.

Answering my own sleep question - It's sort of both for me. I'm actually getting to bed a little earlier, as I'm able to get more done earlier in the day (with not working) and sometimes I'm just bored by bedtime, and head up to read. Then I tend to fall asleep with my book open pretty quickly. :laughing:

But DH (who sleeps less than average to begin with) is having more trouble because he gets thinking about things - and if he tosses and turns at the wrong time in my sleep cycle, I sometimes wake up too. (Of course, that means I have to use the bathroom, and then I oddly tend to wake up to go at the same time the next night or two. - It's a vicious cycle.)

It's rather ironic that today the topic is sleep or the lack thereof.

I no longer need to wake up to my alarm at 5:45 am, and because I am not physically and emotionally exhausted from a day of chasing around 3 and 4 year olds, I don't fall asleep watching tv at 7:30 pm anymore. Now I stay up until 11:00 - 11:30 pm every night, then struggle to fall asleep and sleep in until 7:30 - 8:30 am depending on how rough a night I've had. Most of the time I wake up rested, but every once in a while, I can't sleep because I just have too much on my mind, whether it be a to-do list or flat-out worry and fear.

Last night was one of those unsettling nights. I'm holding off on applying for FMLA until July, because I'm hoping that we will just go 100% distance learning. But not having this straightened out causes me stress. Also, my basically absent director who is overpaid, has thrown another curveball even though we are done with school in 10 days, and our principals had advised us on how to finish the year. The union has gotten involved because her demands are outrageous, but in the meantime, we as teachers are in limbo.

So on top of my brain not shutting off, I wasn't particularly tired at 1:00 am, even though I got outside and walked on the beach. Then at 2:00 am, the skunks, who absolutely LOVE my house even though we have taken all sorts of measures to scare them away, proceeded to spray all around the perimeter of my house so that all three bedrooms were affected, and nobody could sleep. Sometime around 3:00 am, after I had dozed off, the WiFi went out and our burglar alarm malfunctioned sending a beeping sound throughout the house waking everyone up again.

Needless to say, I think I got about 3 hours sleep last night.

😡

It's rather ironic that today the topic is sleep or the lack thereof.

I no longer need to wake up to my alarm at 5:45 am, and because I am not physically and emotionally exhausted from a day of chasing around 3 and 4 year olds, I don't fall asleep watching tv at 7:30 pm anymore. Now I stay up until 11:00 - 11:30 pm every night, then struggle to fall asleep and sleep in until 7:30 - 8:30 am depending on how rough a night I've had. Most of the time I wake up rested, but every once in a while, I can't sleep because I just have too much on my mind, whether it be a to-do list or flat-out worry and fear.

Last night was one of those unsettling nights. I'm holding off on applying for FMLA until July, because I'm hoping that we will just go 100% distance learning. But not having this straightened out causes me stress. Also, my basically absent director who is overpaid, has thrown another curveball even though we are done with school in 10 days, and our principals had advised us on how to finish the year. The union has gotten involved because her demands are outrageous, but in the meantime, we as teachers are in limbo.

So on top of my brain not shutting off, I wasn't particularly tired at 1:00 am, even though I got outside and walked on the beach. Then at 2:00 am, the skunks, who absolutely LOVE my house even though we have taken all sorts of measures to scare them away, proceeded to spray all around the perimeter of my house so that all three bedrooms were affected, and nobody could sleep. Sometime around 3:00 am, after I had dozed off, the WiFi went out and our burglar alarm malfunctioned sending a beeping sound throughout the house waking everyone up again.

Needless to say, I think I got about 3 hours sleep last night.

😡
My best nights of sleep came after working with 9th graders in the library! Rewarding, but exhausting! And some of my worst were after some faculty meetings (budget cuts, new mandates, some supervisor working on his doctorate and the staff has to implement his ideas).

Skunks! o_O

I do have some woohoos today.

I got my car in for a check up yesterday and it came back with a good report... and the only expense was for the oil change. All the little maintenance odds-and-ends were taken care of and I now have lovely new windshield wipers. I took a tour down to the beach after I picked it up and it was just such a happy little car. Now I need to get it cleaned/detailed.

I called a different acupuncture place yesterday, and found out they are taking in-clinic appointments and I was able to get one for Friday afternoon... so excited to start treating my feet.

I got notification that my reward garment from the sustainable fashion folks is complete and on its way. I think it'll be at least another -10 pounds before it will fit, but as planned I'll be hanging it on the outside of the closet door to admire and be inspired by.

Woohoo - I’m almost done with school for this year. Tomorrow is our Google Meet kindergarten celebration. And our virtual field trip with the local zoo is on Monday. Then I’m done.

Woohoo- I’m down 1 lb so far this month! And I’m happy with my running/biking exercise...but it’s starting to get hot.

Woohoo health related-getting out to walk even in 80 degree plus weather.
The trail is mostly shady but its hot!

Life related Woohoo-got together with seven of my good friends for an outdoor lunch-brought my strawberries and yogurt and water. We sat in a circle a safe distance from each other and talked and talked.Then we swapped sanitized books. I have three new books to read! So much fun.

Woohoo I have a strong teachers union! Some last minute work was assigned by our director that would have taken several hours to complete and wouldn't have been accurate due to distance learning. The union got involved and put the kibosh on it!

So, tomorrow is the last day I have to go live to teach. On Monday, I'm going to have to say "Goodbye" to my students via email. Tuesday I have to go to school to do my cumulative folders, inventory my student iPads, and turn in my school MacBook Air and iPad. Technically I'm still "working" until Friday the 19th, but that will be hard to do without access to my technology.

It is such a weird way to end a school year. No graduation ceremony, which is a big deal for me because we basically put on a broadway show...no awards...no parties for students or teachers...no running to my car on the last day with "Schools Out For Summer" blaring on the loudspeaker...

Okay, I need to stop or I'm going to start crying.

Anyway,
Woohoo! :sunny:Summer is coming!:sunny:

Hello Dearies!

It seems the week is getting away from me again... but as others have mentioned, school for the kids is almost over, so woohoo for that! It has been a little easier to get them to do their schoolwork when I can say "Just finish this and you're done for the summer!"

I lost a little over a pound when I weighed in on Monday, so that is a woohoo... and I got out in the yard twice this week to get some weeding done... it's a never-ending battle with the vines and the native tree seedlings, I swear! My new hammock arrived and I set it up in the shade on the side of the house and have been working hard to break it in! Between all the aches from the gardening and how hard it is to get out of that hammock, I am feeling O-L-D!!!! Ok, not old, but definitely aware that I am not as young as I used to be... ;)

Also woohoo, I finally found seedlings for spaghetti squash and butternut squash, and got those tucked in today. I also finally found a 6-pack of sweet potatoes, but only got three of those in so far, and if I can get myself moving tomorrow, I'm hoping to get the rest into the ground tomorrow along with the pumpkins we started from seed... not as many as I'd like, but between the squirrels and the chickens, we're luck that we got any at all!!! Lesson learned! (But there is rain in the forecast for tomorrow, so I may have to put that off one more day... which might also be a woo-hoo if I'm achy and stiff tomorrow...)

And a dubious woohoo, mixed heavily with a disapproving sigh... I found a free game app that is keeping me amused... woohoo for fun and distraction and free... but there are so many more useful things I could be doing...

I am grateful that I was able to find an old post from June 2016 in this forum, by me. I was wondering lately what is different. I am trying the same things, why is it not working

it was my thinking that changed. It was lovely to read my post and figure what I what do I need to do

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter