Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

Here now! Check out this view! Womp wooooomp....:rotfl2:

View attachment 352657
We are “just happy to be here!”

were you by the bus short cut? I was in the giraffe trail last novemeber and was initially disappointed with the view. However, being able to leave my room and take the exit door to and from the bus stop was amazing. We didn't have to go all the way to the lobby to get to our rooms.

This may have been asked a million times before so sorry.

Party of 7 (4 adults and 3 kids)

Half picky eaters the other half not.

Would you do Sanaa or Jiko?

Are you one of the picky or one of the not? :rotfl:

Jiko is fantastic quality and the filet mignon with macaroni and cheese is very popular, even with picky eaters. There also always seems to be a nice white mild fish on the menu and the "from the oven" flatbreads can be good options for pickier folks. Sanaa is another of our favorites and everyone can usually find something they like on the bread service appetizer - bread and dips are usually universally adored. If you think there's a chance that people won't eat what they've ordered, I would go with Sanaa as the dishes cost less so if something gets sent back uneaten, you're out $20 instead of $40. If you want a nice, upscale experience I would recommend Jiko, but Sanaa is probably better for kids (with the animal viewing, plus it's just a bit more relaxed).

were you by the bus short cut? I was in the giraffe trail last novemeber and was initially disappointed with the view. However, being able to leave my room and take the exit door to and from the bus stop was amazing. We didn't have to go all the way to the lobby to get to our rooms.
We had to go a bit down the hall to get to the gift shop, or is that not the same door? I didn't notice any other exit on the way toward the lobby...

Tell us more about this shortcut...never noticed one.

Are you one of the picky or one of the not? :rotfl:

Jiko is fantastic quality and the filet mignon with macaroni and cheese is very popular, even with picky eaters. There also always seems to be a nice white mild fish on the menu and the "from the oven" flatbreads can be good options for pickier folks. Sanaa is another of our favorites and everyone can usually find something they like on the bread service appetizer - bread and dips are usually universally adored. If you think there's a chance that people won't eat what they've ordered, I would go with Sanaa as the dishes cost less so if something gets sent back uneaten, you're out $20 instead of $40. If you want a nice, upscale experience I would recommend Jiko, but Sanaa is probably better for kids (with the animal viewing, plus it's just a bit more relaxed).

Thanks for the suggestion. I am not one of the picky eaters and would really like to try at least one of the 2 restaurants since we will be staying on property. My wife and the kids are. I would like to try Jiko as you mentioned because of the higher quality of food but also want the others to be able to enjoy their food as well.

Thanks again.

I'd say depends on the kind of picky. If it's that folks are more comfortable with familiar types of food (like, they always want chicken or bread), Sanaa is a good choice. If unfamiliar flavors/spices are the issue, then Jiko. The food there is milder/more balanced to an American palate overall than Sanaa, and they're also very good at making dishes less spicy if need be--for example, I have a turmeric allergy (weird, I know), and I recently had a lovely simple seared tuna and roasted veggies at Jiko.

I'd say depends on the kind of picky. If it's that folks are more comfortable with familiar types of food (like, they always want chicken or bread), Sanaa is a good choice. If unfamiliar flavors/spices are the issue, then Jiko. The food there is milder/more balanced to an American palate overall than Sanaa, and they're also very good at making dishes less spicy if need be--for example, I have a turmeric allergy (weird, I know), and I recently had a lovely simple seared tuna and roasted veggies at Jiko.

Thank you. I didn't realize this. My wife is not a fan of the spices and also do not like spicy foods. Go figure since we are from Louisiana. The 3 kids will be a combination of spices and aren't very adventurous but the kids menu probably has a pizza or chicken nuggets like most places. I will have to review the menu some more.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I was trying to do the room location request on MDE today and when I click on the drop downs nothing comes up. Does that mean they are not accepting requests at this time?

I've loved reading everyone's posts but I'm going to leave now.
The military discount came out today and unfortunately didn't apply to our 1 bedroom villa so we are moving over to AOA for our whole stay.

Thanks for all the great info. Next time!

I was trying to do the room location request on MDE today and when I click on the drop downs nothing comes up. Does that mean they are not accepting requests at this time?

From what I understand, hasn’t worked for 6 months to a year. You can call resort reservations and have the Cast member add your request(s) to your reservation. Some fax but not sure if that is better or worse.

I've loved reading everyone's posts but I'm going to leave now.
The military discount came out today and unfortunately didn't apply to our 1 bedroom villa so we are moving over to AOA for our whole stay.

Thanks for all the great info. Next time!
Have a great trip and definitely get over to AKL for a visit!

We had to go a bit down the hall to get to the gift shop, or is that not the same door? I didn't notice any other exit on the way toward the lobby...

Tell us more about this shortcut...never noticed one.
I’ve not stayed on Giraffe trail - but as you walk up the pathway from the bus stops towards the store/lobby you’ll see an unmarked door which your room key (MB?) will open and once you open it you are by some stairs which lead to the Giraffe trail floors. I’ve noticed the door as I’ve walked to and from the buses, but having always been on Zebra or Kudu trail I’ve never tried it.

I’ve not stayed on Giraffe trail - but as you walk up the pathway from the bus stops towards the store/lobby you’ll see an unmarked door which your room key (MB?) will open and once you open it you are by some stairs which lead to the Giraffe trail floors. I’ve noticed the door as I’ve walked to and from the buses, but having always been on Zebra or Kudu trail I’ve never tried it.

This is it. We stayed at room 3035. view was horrible, but the exit was maybe 2 or 3 doors down from us. It was amazing to have when trying to wrangle 2 small children to the bus stops.

So I have booked a week in AKL in February. I was able to book a pool view room and got a great deal with the Disney visa discount. Can I assume that I will be in Jambo and close to the lobby?

So I have booked a week in AKL in February. I was able to book a pool view room and got a great deal with the Disney visa discount. Can I assume that I will be in Jambo and close to the lobby?
Yes, you will be in Jambo, Kidani only has villas - not rooms, and there is no ‘pool view’ booking category at Kidani, only standard or savanna view.
How close you will be to the lobby depends - you could end up a bit down Zebra trail, however, you will be conveniently close to the pool and the Mara - the QS restaurant.

Yes, you will be in Jambo, Kidani only has villas - not rooms, and there is no ‘pool view’ booking category at Kidani, only standard or savanna view.
How close you will be to the lobby depends - you could end up a bit down Zebra trail, however, you will be conveniently close to the pool and the Mara - the QS restaurant.

Thank you for the quick reply. Would this be relatively close to buses as well. I am traveling solo and think I would be more comfortable being closer to transportation and lobby. I am very excited to be staying here. I have visited before to eat at Jiko, but that is it.

Thank you for the quick reply. Would this be relatively close to buses as well. I am traveling solo and think I would be more comfortable being closer to transportation and lobby. I am very excited to be staying here. I have visited before to eat at Jiko, but that is it.
You’re welcome. You will be on the ‘bus side’ of the resort - but to get to the buses people walk through the store or the front of the lobby (unless on Giraffe trail - see above posts.)
I’ve stayed solo at Disney, tho’ not at AKL, but even when traveling w/ others I tend to wander by myself quite a bit. AKL would be very comfortable for a solo trip IMO. There are inside corridors, the grounds aren’t especially spread out, when you walk from the buses at night you are right next to the building and walking with a bus load of people all heading to the same place, there’s not the huge numbers of day visitors that some resorts have, the Arusha overlook w/ the fire and rocking chairs is right out back of the lobby, and the pool, Uzima savanna overlook, MARA, Boma and Jiko will all be a quick elevator ride from your room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter