Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

We will arrive at AKL (first stay there!!!) in the late afternoon on 12/31. We are not looking for a big New Year's Eve night. In fact, we are actually looking to get to bed early so that we can be up and ready to head to MK bright and early while everyone else is sleeping in (it might actually be the quietest the parks will be for our whole trip!). Anyway, we currently have reservations at Homecomin' for dinner in DS, but I am wondering if the bus ride and crowds at DS are worth it. I am debating about just enjoying AKL, maybe stopping at Victoria Falls Lounge for some light bites, meeting some interesting CMs, enjoying the animals and savannas, etc. Those of you with AKL experience, what do you think? What do you advise?

Thanks!

Personally, I would stay at AKL, between all of the people on the roads, and crowds in DS, I know that I could 100% have a better time just hanging out at the lodge. I would likely try to get a seat at Jiko's bar and enjoy some drinks and food there, although Victoria Falls is nice too. I also love talking to the CMs that are out by the savanna overlooks and learning about their experiences. We arrive on 1/3 and I cannot wait to be back at the lodge, especially since we have Jiko booked that night!

Thanks for the suggestion. I forgot that Jiko has a bar too.

We went to Disney Springs on NYE last year and it was totally fine up until a certain hour (maybe 9:00?). I think you will be fine if your reservation is early enough - and Homecoming is worth a visit for sure! I also read on a recent dining review that someone was turned away from the Jiko bar when Jiko was busy, and I sort of suspect NYE might be one of those times. I'd have a reservation for sure if I felt strongly about getting seats.

We went to Disney Springs on NYE last year and it was totally fine up until a certain hour (maybe 9:00?). I think you will be fine if your reservation is early enough - and Homecoming is worth a visit for sure! I also read on a recent dining review that someone was turned away from the Jiko bar when Jiko was busy, and I sort of suspect NYE might be one of those times. I'd have a reservation for sure if I felt strongly about getting seats.

Thanks for the info!

Hi everyone, we've currently got a Savannah view room booked for next year. We're rope droppers and last time we were at each park 45 minutes before open leaving from the Poly and didn't have any problems getting there. How feasible is it to get to the parks 45 minutes before open leaving from AKL? We're tempted to turn it into a split stay with something on the monorail if it's not going to work. Thank you!

Edit: Found the average transportation times after searching!

Hi everyone, we've currently got a Savannah view room booked for next year. We're rope droppers and last time we were at each park 45 minutes before open leaving from the Poly and didn't have any problems getting there. How feasible is it to get to the parks 45 minutes before open leaving from AKL? We're tempted to turn it into a split stay with something on the monorail if it's not going to work. Thank you!

You may want to consider a split stay if you have a particular love for Magic Kingdom. It can be about a 25-40 bus ride, and I have felt somewhat discouraged from going to MK when staying at AKL due to the distance. (Frankly, MK is not my favorite park anyway)

Otherwise, I am a diehard ropedropper and never have any problems!

We used a lot of Uber's when it was a rush

I never had any issues getting to MK in a reasonable amount of time. And AKL is closer to the other parks than MK is, so I'd stay put!

Just got back from AKL Jambo, it exceeded our expectation and sad that we didn't get to spend more time instead of going to the parks.

Just one note, they were doing some repairs to outside part of the building/Arusha, people working on those cherry picker, not sure how long it's suppose to last. My DD2 couldn't sleep during afternoon. They did give us notice the day before the work was going to be done but too late for us to change our plans for it.

Just got home from VGF on Wednesday, and have just finalized 3 nights at Kidani (studio with savanna view) through David's DVC! Have never even been to Animal Kingdom Lodge/Kidani Village, so I'm really looking forward to this! Right now, I am planning to go solo, but one of my best friends has expressed interest in coming with me, and I'm all for that! Either way, I'll be there June 24-27!

The majority of the king rooms are accessible but not all. You'd be taking a risk of not having a tub. I suggest waiting until you arrive and ask if there's any king rooms with a tub.
Good Advice. We want a room with a king bed with a tub. We added that to our room request when made the reservations. We think it will give us more room with a pack n play for our 2-1/2 year old. We must have a tub which is more important than a king bed. So I think we will just ask if they have a savannah view room (which we booked) with a king bed and tub when we get there. Thanks.

We are booked for March 30 - Apr 8th at Kidani.

Question - Do all the Standard View Studios in Kidani have balconies?
April

Lovethesun12, Mar 30th - 8th, Kidani

Wdw4rfam, 8th - 13th, AKL

Mernin, 8th -15th, AKL

L_MD, 13th - 16th, AKL

CeruleanMoon, 21st - 28th, Jambo

NightAngelX, 22nd - 28th, AKL

MissNurse, 25th - May 1st, AKL

We're going back to the AKL for the 3rd time (January 2016, March 2017) from January 11-15. We booked a Standard Room in Jambo House. Back in 2016, we used the Touring Plans Room Request Tool and had an amazing partial view of the savanna (4318 on Kudu Trail). We splurged and got a savanna view room this past March (3423 I believe), but it really wasn't much better. We had a slightly better location, but that was mostly it. I'm requesting 3316 (or thereabouts since I know the Fax is broader) using the Touring Plans tool again. It's on the Kudu trail and very close to where we were in 2016. Not close to the lobby but still a great spot. I have my fingers crossed on that front!
January

Xlsm, Dec 31st - 4th, AKL

TeeterTots, 5th - 8th, AKL

Gillep, 3rd - 10th, AKL

Dwheaton, 11th - 15th, AKL

Hosler427, 17th - 27th, Kidani

Cando86, 20th - 27th, Kidani

The Lucky Bug, 21st - 27th, AKV

Frankie Vivian, 27th - Feb 3rd, Kidani

Just booked a Kidani Savannah View 1 BR Sept 9th-14th 2018 for my first DVC stay, so excited :) ... even though I just got back yesterday from a 9 day stay at AKV Jambo.
September

Margievis, Aug 31st - 4th, AKL

Anneboleyn, 3rd - 8th, Jambo House

Somnia, 9th - 14th, Kidani

TandCmum, 15th - , AKL

Here is the latest list of everyone visiting in 2017 & 2018

If you have any updates please let me know…

December

Jeremeyp, 21st - 27th, Jambo

BaseballMoM2007, 21st - 30th, AKL

Brandyleeann, 30th - Jan 1st, AKL

January

Xlsm, Dec 31st - 4th, AKL

TeeterTots, 5th - 8th, AKL

Gillep, 3rd - 10th, AKL

Dwheaton, 11th - 15th, AKL

Hosler427, 17th - 27th, Kidani

Cando86, 20th - 27th, Kidani

The Lucky Bug, 21st - 27th, AKV

Frankie Vivian, 27th - Feb 3rd, Kidani

February

RedK, 3rd - 10th, AKL

RachelTori, 3rd - 9th, CL Jambo

Brandilla, 3rd - 10th, AKL

HolRae, 5th - 9th, CL Jambo

MaizeRage25, 10th - 11th, Jambo

Dug720, 18th - 23rd, AKL

March

Momfoaj, Feb 28th - 5th

Cantoine, 12th - 17th, Jambo

MeeskaMooska13, 27th - Apr 2nd, AKL

April

Lovethesun12, Mar 30th - 8th, Kidani

Wdw4rfam, 8th - 13th, AKL

Mernin, 8th -15th, AKL

L_MD, 13th - 16th, AKL

CeruleanMoon, 21st - 28th, Jambo

NightAngelX, 22nd - 28th, AKL

MissNurse, 25th - May 1st, AKL

May

Imacmama, 7th - 15th, AKL

Ah10is, 12th - 19th, Kidani

Metz172, 29th - 31st, AKL

Disnmooner2013, 29th - Jun 5th, Jambo

June

Disnmooner2013, May 30th 0 5th, AKL CL

Corn princess, 2nd - 9th, Kidani

Bwbuddy5, 3rd - 9th, Kidani

Ekendall2, 3rd - 9th, Jambo

July

DisneyDiana, 1st - 8th, Jambo

August

September

Margievis, Aug 31st - 4th, AKL

Anneboleyn, 3rd - 8th, Jambo House

Somnia, 9th - 14th, Kidani

TandCmum, 15th-, AKL

October

November

December

Subset7132, 7th - 14th, AKL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter