It was unrealistic not to expect DVC to do something about resales

True but as the system is set up and is c/w the contractual wording as I read it thus contractually speaking I don't think it matters. I suspect it'll take longer than 5 years and I doubt there will ever be a big issue as the % of those with resale not qualifying will continue to be small but will slowly increase over time. And we don't know the access will be the same between the current system and the new system, it might not be as we're accustomed to. It'd be common to have an offset say 11 month home resort priority, 7 months within the rest of THAT system and 6 months for crossovers. We'll see, should be interesting.

I'm assuming that this will be a new system with a crossover, I have trouble envisioning how they could do so otherwise but we'll see.

I think that there is going to have to be a new DVCII and that there are going to have to be new rules about trading between DVC and DVCII. I'm very interested to see what if any limits they place on how many points can be traded back and forth. Will the resale points that can't be trade between the two systems reduce the pool of potential points, in other words only allow the number of points trade in as can be traded out, or will there be no limits, so potentially a resale owner will have no availability at any time in the year because so many points traded into their resort.

I'm hoping for some sort of 3rd booking period in the future as a crossover between the resorts. Also this new setup they have starting with Riviera will be interesting to see how it works. Because our Contracts all tie admission to the club (right to change resorts) to our deeds however the new contracts won't be doing that. So there is actually a large change in the contracts that is coming. Personally if Riviera succeeds and each subsequent resort does it won't be a problem. I suspect the biggest one that will be an issue is Reflections as that location isn't that competitive over CCV, BRV, VGF, etc. and has all these restrictions. At least Riviera is a DVC resort with access to DHS and Epcot (might be super easy with the gondolas might not be but I think for sure better than buses).

So the admission of Riviera to the club does change the contract we all signed because our contracts say we shouldn't expect new resorts but it does say if one comes online it would join the club. But the resale restrictions are a bit different because it isn't apart of the deed now.
It should be interesting both with DVC and her on DIS.

I think that there is going to have to be a new DVCII and that there are going to have to be new rules about trading between DVC and DVCII. I'm very interested to see what if any limits they place on how many points can be traded back and forth. Will the resale points that can't be trade between the two systems reduce the pool of potential points, in other words only allow the number of points trade in as can be traded out, or will there be no limits, so potentially a resale owner will have no availability at any time in the year because so many points traded into their resort.
That's the way I look at it but you never know. Marriott did something similar with their points system. DVC already has a registered exchange company, BVTC, which would be an easy option to accomplish the task(s).

Look at it this way, you build a gourmet hotdog restaurant and attracted a lot of customers for your product. Suddenly someone else rolls up next to you with a dirty water dog hotdog cart and begins to sell the same hotdogs as you but for only 60% of your price. You begin to loose potential sales and you sit back an think to yourself, I built the business, spent the time and money to get the customers now someone rolls up with a hotdog cart not having the same initial investment as me and is profiting off all my hard work. What would you do? DVD has decided that you can still get those dirty water dogs but all you can get with it is ketchup and mustard, no more relish, onions, chili or cheese for you unless you buy from me. Trust me, I don't like what they are doing but I can understand the mindset.

Interesting analogy, but the cheap hot dog vendor didn't originally purchase their hot dogs from the gourmet hot dog vendor. All DVC points were originally sold by DVD direct. They made their money on them, the original owners have paid maintenance fees for upkeep of the resort, resulting in no more costs for DVD.

I understand the withdrawal of perks to make direct more attractive, but changing the rules in a way that could put their direct buyers in jeopardy if they need to sell isn't fair play. No one buys (well not if they're reasonable) with the intention of selling 6 months or a year down the road, but life happens and often it's a bolt out of the blue.

I bet you probably 25-30% of the contracts on the resale market are from people who have bought direct within the last year. 2 of my 4 resale contracts where purchased from people who bought direct and where selling under a year. Just look at all the Poly and CCV contracts that are already up for sale. Life happens! At least when you bought DVC before all the restrictions went into place, you could make "lemonade" out of the lemons that Life sent you.

Interesting analogy, but the cheap hot dog vendor didn't originally purchase their hot dogs from the gourmet hot dog vendor. All DVC points were originally sold by DVD direct. They made their money on them, the original owners have paid maintenance fees for upkeep of the resort, resulting in no more costs for DVD.

I understand the withdrawal of perks to make direct more attractive, but changing the rules in a way that could put their direct buyers in jeopardy if they need to sell isn't fair play. No one buys (well not if they're reasonable) with the intention of selling 6 months or a year down the road, but life happens and often it's a bolt out of the blue.
DVD isn't changing the rules. DVD is going to have different rules for the newer resorts. New buyers just have to be aware of the limitations on what they are buying. DVD is going to be like every other timeshare.

Last edited:
I think the problem for you is that you want to be able to book a certain way but that's no longer possible because people understand the product more. The idea that we should expect rooms to just be waiting there for us a month out seems like a bad one for all involved. As more people found out about DVC/bought in, more people were going to understand what it took to land coveted reservations. This is truly a case of knowledge being power. The more knowledgeable you are about the product, the better it will work for you.
If you have the flexibility to know when your vacations will be 11 months out, yes the product works well. If you have a different work/school/life balance where you cannot have that certainty then the product is weaker for your use case.

If you have the flexibility to know when your vacations will be 11 months out, yes the product works well. If you have a different work/school/life balance where you cannot have that certainty then the product is weaker for your use case.
If you are buying into a product knowing about the 11 month/7month policies and then complain at 5 months, that's a YOU issue, not a program issue. No matter how much Disney wants to put out the "it's a club" line, itnis most definitely a timeshare and as such people should know that the early bird gets the worm.

If you are buying into a product knowing about the 11 month/7month policies and then complain at 5 months, that's a YOU issue, not a program issue. No matter how much Disney wants to put out the "it's a club" line, itnis most definitely a timeshare and as such people should know that the early bird gets the worm.
Oh I know it is a value issue for ME, as I stated in my first post. When I bought into the program DVC/DVD was not selling the ownership with the idea that you HAD to book at 11 months. Granted this was 14 years ago. Much has changed with DVC and DVD, had we been thinking about buying now the answer is easy, NO. I have found that I like the convenience of cooking at the villa but like the flexibility in being able to book on cash or stay off property. We have added a fur baby to our family that we do not like to leave at home. Allowing pets in certain buildings would be a nice change but again for ME the booking timeline is a sticking point. That again was not an issue until about 2010ish so 6 years after the first contracts were purchased and one year before our last contract was purchased. And we chose our contract based on what resort we wanted the 11-month booking window at. I wish MY life allowed me to be an 11-month on the dot bird but that is not to be. I am happy that YOUR life allows you that flexibility.

And we chose our contract based on what resort we wanted the 11-month booking window at. I wish MY life allowed me to be an 11-month on the dot bird but that is not to be. I am happy that YOUR life allows you that flexibility.

Yea that makes it tougher. Not sure how most time shares work in comparison.

But I have found even having the advantage at even slightly over 7 months has been very helpful.

I am glad I bought our resale when we did (2014) and the rules that currently apply to our contract work for us. I do not like any of the NEW rules and restrictions but honestly they don't affect us...yet.

Oh I know it is a value issue for ME, as I stated in my first post. When I bought into the program DVC/DVD was not selling the ownership with the idea that you HAD to book at 11 months. Granted this was 14 years ago. Much has changed with DVC and DVD, had we been thinking about buying now the answer is easy, NO. I have found that I like the convenience of cooking at the villa but like the flexibility in being able to book on cash or stay off property. We have added a fur baby to our family that we do not like to leave at home. Allowing pets in certain buildings would be a nice change but again for ME the booking timeline is a sticking point. That again was not an issue until about 2010ish so 6 years after the first contracts were purchased and one year before our last contract was purchased. And we chose our contract based on what resort we wanted the 11-month booking window at. I wish MY life allowed me to be an 11-month on the dot bird but that is not to be. I am happy that YOUR life allows you that flexibility.

Imo 2005+ was when things started to become more difficult to book after 7 months

I often book in blind faith at 11 months, long before vacation time has been officially approved. Especially for BWV & AKV value

As to flexibility issues, at least there isn’t a fixed week usage restriction for most members

There is always the fall back 7 month window. Pref 1 BR vs studios usually available at many resorts for dates I’ve checked

We all love our furry babies, but it’s a liability issue as to possible out of character type issues for Fido (being in strange environment as to biting or being destructive). I can see a dog being scared as to being alone in the room, triggering anxious barking. Quite annoying for those wanting to catch a quick nap, etc.

We all love our furry babies, but it’s a liability issue as to possible out of character type issues for Fido (being in a strange environment as to biting or being destructive). I can see a dog being scared as to being alone in the room, triggering anxious barking. Quite annoying for those wanting to catch a quick nap, etc.
You know that's what I thought too but they allow fur babies at some of the resorts when you pay cash. They are only allowed in certain areas and housekeeping will not enter the room without you present. When I was in the world between Christmas and New Years at Pop I saw a few fur babies between Pop and Art of Animation. I think for DVC it is something that the owners would have to allow contract changes.

You know that's what I thought too but they allow fur babies at some of the resorts when you pay cash. They are only allowed in certain areas and housekeeping will not enter the room without you present. When I was in the world between Christmas and New Years at Pop I saw a few fur babies between Pop and Art of Animation. I think for DVC it is something that the owners would have to allow contract changes.

True but many of us are allergic and have hypoallergenic pets to try and cope

Not sure of the extra cost to turn a unit with a deep clean after a pet but don’t think it’s fair to expect all members to pick it up in maintenance fees

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter