is it true that people steal from Fish Extenders??

My first cruise was to Alaska, on Tracy Arm Day I went into my room, the door closed but probably wasn't closed all the way. I thought it was. Definitely not locked. I was watching the scenery and listening to the commentary when this stranger barged in with a tray of food. She looked at me, I looked at her then told her it was my room. She said her room was a number which had a number wrong from mine. I'm sure mistakes happen, like what happened to me, but there are very rude people that have no boundaries and think it is alright to barge into a room.

That was a mistake, must have felt bad, but seems a mistake and clearly cleared up quickly. I agree with your last line, there are boundaries, and there are rude people without boundaries, where some think it's ok to go in a room with an open door to look around or take photos for research, that's stepping over the line.

Question is, if someone things it's ok to poke your head in, to have a look around, what if someone is in there? Someone getting dressed? A child? How far do some think this is acceptable to go to? as you say you thought you closed the door.

I think the difference is between poking your head in while still standing outside the room or maybe just one step in and actually walking all the way into the room. I guess the suites have kind of a hallway as compared to a normal stateroom where you can more or less see most of the stateroom by looking in through the open door.

We actually showed our oceanview stateroom once to a couple who was considering getting oceanview instead of balcony for their next cruise. But of course that is a totally different scenario than someone just walking in.

I think the difference is between poking your head in while still standing outside the room or maybe just one step in and actually walking all the way into the room. I guess the suites have kind of a hallway as compared to a normal stateroom where you can more or less see most of the stateroom by looking in through the open door.

We actually showed our oceanview stateroom once to a couple who was considering getting oceanview instead of balcony for their next cruise. But of course that is a totally different scenario than someone just walking in.

Yes. In cruise meets there have been organised " stateroom " tours, if cruisers agree to that, that's fine, if someone say politely knocks on your door and asks if it's OK and you say yes- fine.

But a couple here advocate and confine a policy if the door is open its OK to " pop your head in" " take photos" without any agreement. To me it's basic manners.

A suite I can understand will create interest, and there is a small corridor on some before you get in. Mine have been midship deck 8 next to the midship elevators so a busy area. But for someone to just see an open door and then just plan to go in, walk around, when it's embarkation day and pristine for you, what you paid for, is wrong plain wrong in my abd I think in the majority of honest people's minds.

It's not acceptable to just pop in and look or take photos without agreement. What if there is a child there? What if someone's dressing? The door maybe open by mistake? And what if something is stolen and CCTV traces you went in?

Yes. In cruise meets there have been organised " stateroom " tours, if cruisers agree to that, that's fine, if someone say politely knocks on your door and asks if it's OK and you say yes- fine.

But a couple here advocate and confine a policy if the door is open its OK to " pop your head in" " take photos" without any agreement. To me it's basic manners.

A suite I can understand will create interest, and there is a small corridor on some before you get in. Mine have been midship deck 8 next to the midship elevators so a busy area. But for someone to just see an open door and then just plan to go in, walk around, when it's embarkation day and pristine for you, what you paid for, is wrong plain wrong in my abd I think in the majority of honest people's minds.

It's not acceptable to just pop in and look or take photos without agreement. What if there is a child there? What if someone's dressing? The door maybe open by mistake? And what if something is stolen and CCTV traces you went in?

Maybe blame the Goldilocks story kids are told-kid goes in, helps herself to everything, including their food, a nap and breaking a chair, then runs off (unharmed) when the Bears return! LOL!

I'm of the camp that curiosity of a suite is understood, but definitely need to ask for a tour as cabin may be occupied. When DD and I stayed concierge at DL hotel, we would walk past all the special themed suites on way to the lounge (they have special name plates and unique doors). One day, the safari themed suite door (name?) was opened - and it looked spectacular!! We only walked by more slowly as I did not want to be seen in the doorway (nor assumed to have entered the room nor teach my child that was ok), we made the usual exclamations of "wow", "how special", "such an experience" type remarks. Anyway, we happened upon one of the guests in that room later - turns out she had been there for a week and staff was taking care of something when we had seen the door opened. Glad we did not even look from the doorway or take a step in as the room was occupied.

:teeth:

You need to accept that there is another opinion here and you don't agree with it. That's fine but others can and do have different opinions which while not right for you are right for us. I personally think your examples are silly, it would be very hard to have the cabin door stay open by accident as they are fire doors and meant to be closed, so someone walking in while you are dressing would be near impossible. Also I wont talk for others but when I speak of someone looking around I am talking about embarkation day, not just any old day during the cruise. If you think that your room has really been 'deep cleaned' for you then you would be wrong. The only time all rooms are deep cleaned are after there has been an outbreak and then people don't get into their cabins at the 1:30 mark. Lord forbid some low life enters a cabin and leaves a germ after the 'deep cleaning'. lol.

Also, I do not see where anyone has 'advocated' for others to do this. If you think we have maybe you should look into the meaning of advocate.

Lets agree to disagree and leave it at that. I promise to never enter your cabin however you are always welcome in mine. To me its basic manners.

Maybe blame the Goldilocks story kids are told-kid goes in, helps herself to everything, including their food, a nap and breaking a chair, then runs off (unharmed) when the Bears return! LOL!

I'm of the camp that curiosity of a suite is understood, but definitely need to ask for a tour as cabin may be occupied. When DD and I stayed concierge at DL hotel, we would walk past all the special themed suites on way to the lounge (they have special name plates and unique doors). One day, the safari themed suite door (name?) was opened - and it looked spectacular!! We only walked by more slowly as I did not want to be seen in the doorway (nor assumed to have entered the room nor teach my child that was ok), we made the usual exclamations of "wow", "how special", "such an experience" type remarks. Anyway, we happened upon one of the guests in that room later - turns out she had been there for a week and staff was taking care of something when we had seen the door opened. Glad we did not even look from the doorway or take a step in as the room was occupied.

Yes, we had a TA who had an open suite afternoon with a party on the ship, that was fun and we were " invited" .

Oh course people steal from everything. I went to a church for business that had the sound system stolen while they stopped to pray. They went back to sing and no sound.

:teeth:

You need to accept that there is another opinion here and you don't agree with it. That's fine but others can and do have different opinions which while not right for you are right for us.

I decline to comment further another than to say that's an incorrect assumption, and wrong!

I personally think your examples are silly,

In view of your first comment, that's contradictory. What I say is honest truth, not an example. It occurred. You may wish not to accept it that's down to you.

it would be very hard to have the cabin door stay open by accident as they are fire doors and meant to be closed, so someone walking in while you are dressing would be near impossible.

Clearly you have not read my posts on this thread fully.

So explain .

Embarkation day, concierge, we get in our rooms at 1pm, there is a maintenance issue, IIRC the Air Con was reported by the stateroom host as an issue, maintainance came , was walking in and out leaving our door open, they I think we're going to something down the hallway and back.

We are in a midship Cat T, near the midship elevators, under deck 9 , a busy area. At 1.30 pm, when the general staterooms open, our door is open, we are inside due to this, and we hear a male voice, let's go around and look at a suite, it occurs, you may not believe it, it's up to you.

They did an about turn when they saw us in there.

Now we were careful, but what if like another poster we assumed the door was closed? Or if we assumed maintenance was there?

Fine call my example silly, but if a child is there or someone dressing it could be worse, and if an item goes missing those popping in for a look would be traced, as many say here, it's wrong, and also their uncomfortable with it.

Also I wont talk for others but when I speak of someone looking around I am talking about embarkation day, not just any old day during the cruise. If you think that your room has really been 'deep cleaned' for you then you would be wrong. The only time all rooms are deep cleaned are after there has been an outbreak and then people don't get into their cabins at the 1:30 mark. Lord forbid some low life enters a cabin and leaves a germ after the 'deep cleaning'. lol.

Rooms are deep cleaned on change over day, on our back to back we got it adjusted to castaway day. I want minimal other cruisers in my stateroom, and it to be in pristine condition.
Also, I do not see where anyone has 'advocated' for others to do this. If you think we have maybe you should look into the meaning of advocate.

Two posters have said it's OK to go in, take photos as their interested. They support each other that it's OK, The word is correct.
Lets agree to disagree and leave it at that. I promise to never enter your cabin however you are always welcome in mine. To me its basic manners.
Thanks for the invite! If anyone is invited it's fine, - it's manners.

I decline to comment further another than to say that's an incorrect assumption, and wrong!

In view of your first comment, that's contradictory. What I say is honest truth, not an example. It occurred. You may wish not to accept it that's down to you.

Clearly you have not read my posts on this thread fully.

So explain .

Embarkation day, concierge, we get in our rooms at 1pm, there is a maintenance issue, IIRC the Air Con was reported by the stateroom host as an issue, maintainance came , was walking in and out leaving our door open, they I think we're going to something down the hallway and back.

We are in a midship Cat T, near the midship elevators, under deck 9 , a busy area. At 1.30 pm, when the general staterooms open, our door is open, we are inside due to this, and we hear a male voice, let's go around and look at a suite, it occurs, you may not believe it, it's up to you.

They did an about turn when they saw us in there.

Now we were careful, but what if like another poster we assumed the door was closed? Or if we assumed maintenance was there?

Fine call my example silly, but if a child is there or someone dressing it could be worse, and if an item goes missing those popping in for a look would be traced, as many say here, it's wrong, and also their uncomfortable with it.

Rooms are deep cleaned on change over day, on our back to back we got it adjusted to castaway day. I want minimal other cruisers in my stateroom, and it to be in pristine condition.

Two posters have said it's OK to go in, take photos as their interested. They support each other that it's OK, The word is correct.

Thanks for the invite! If anyone is invited it's fine, - it's manners.
Oh stop, your making me blush.......:cutie:

to much of what you say is just words, you apparently are not reading my comments and just throwing stuff in there. Your giving comments that have nothing to do with what I said.

For example I said, 'You need to accept that there is another opinion here and you don't agree with it. That's fine but others can and do have different opinions which while not right for you are right for us.'
and you said, 'I decline to comment further another than to say that's an incorrect assumption, and wrong!'
Now I am saying 'WHAT'. What does that even mean? Are you saying my comment that you need to accept that there is another opinion here is wrong? or that its an incorrect assumption? Is it the the part that said 'while not right for you are right for us'? Is that the incorrect assumption, is that the wrong? And what does 'another' have to do with it?

That's just the first comment and I decline to take apart the rest because its a big waste of my time. Actually take the time to read my comments please, that would be great.

P.s.--Advocate.... to publicly recommend or support. No one recommended it and no one supported it. I said it would not bother me and I would not mind. Huge difference but maybe that is one of your incorrect assumptions and wrong bits.

I guess this was my fault, and I apologize that this thread seems to of gone so far off track. I was commenting on someone looking in an open door state room at embarkation. This was not in the middle of a cruise, or anytime after embarkation, the story as reiterated was someone looking at a room at 1:30. I was not implying that people would try to steal from your room, take pictures of you while undressed, or contaminate your state room with germs. It was just people who were interested to see what a suite looked like. Upon discovering someone was there, as was clearly stated, they immediately left. Yes, a brief I'm sorry probably would've been appropriate. But, then some people decided that wanting to look in the state room was equivalent to stealing, reading personal notes, looking for people to be undressed, and trespassing. I reiterate, that if you had not been in your state room at that moment you would never have known those people came in to look around, and it would not have bothered you, because you would've had no knowledge that it had occurred. Now I'll bet some of you are going to be super paranoid on every future cruise that people might actually have looked in your state room.

I will now assume that those of you who were so offended by this, have never looked in an open state room door. I don't believe this, but I assume it to be true because of how incredibly offended people were that someone might want to see what a suite looked like.

And, as the cleanliness of the cabins, I am in no way disparaging the work that the state room host or hostess is doing, but when you use the expression deep cleaning, I have to wonder where that's coming from. I would guess at a minimum the average host or hostess has 10 cabins, and they have to turn them over in about five hours. So, the bathroom is cleaned, the linens are changed, the floors vacuumed, and the surfaces are wiped down. As the cast members do such a good job cleaning during the cruise, I would guess for many cabins the turnover process is not very complex. But if you believe they're actually degerm every surface, you are fooling yourself. I would guess they also do not routinely change out the air filters between each cruise, move the furniture to clean behind it, or change out the draperies. You also want to be cognizant of the glassware in your room. As they are not wrapped after being washed and or sanitized, they are out there on the host carts for anyone to come but comes by to touch. I have never been unhappy with the cleanliness I found in any state room on any cruise I take it on Disney, but I'm also wouldn't ever apply the word pristine to it.

I guess this was my fault, and I apologize that this thread seems to of gone so far off track. I was commenting on someone looking in an open door state room at embarkation. This was not in the middle of a cruise, or anytime after embarkation, the story as reiterated was someone looking at a room at 1:30. I was not implying that people would try to steal from your room, take pictures of you while undressed, or contaminate your state room with germs. It was just people who were interested to see what a suite looked like. Upon discovering someone was there, as was clearly stated, they immediately left. Yes, a brief I'm sorry probably would've been appropriate. But, then some people decided that wanting to look in the state room was equivalent to stealing, reading personal notes, looking for people to be undressed, and trespassing. I reiterate, that if you had not been in your state room at that moment you would never have known those people came in to look around, and it would not have bothered you, because you would've had no knowledge that it had occurred. Now I'll bet some of you are going to be super paranoid on every future cruise that people might actually have looked in your state room.

I will now assume that those of you who were so offended by this, have never looked in an open state room door. I don't believe this, but I assume it to be true because of how incredibly offended people were that someone might want to see what a suite looked like.

And, as the cleanliness of the cabins, I am in no way disparaging the work that the state room host or hostess is doing, but when you use the expression deep cleaning, I have to wonder where that's coming from. I would guess at a minimum the average host or hostess has 10 cabins, and they have to turn them over in about five hours. So, the bathroom is cleaned, the linens are changed, the floors vacuumed, and the surfaces are wiped down. As the cast members do such a good job cleaning during the cruise, I would guess for many cabins the turnover process is not very complex. But if you believe they're actually degerm every surface, you are fooling yourself. I would guess they also do not routinely change out the air filters between each cruise, move the furniture to clean behind it, or change out the draperies. You also want to be cognizant of the glassware in your room. As they are not wrapped after being washed and or sanitized, they are out there on the host carts for anyone to come but comes by to touch. I have never been unhappy with the cleanliness I found in any state room on any cruise I take it on Disney, but I'm also wouldn't ever apply the word pristine to it.
Well said.

This was not in the middle of a cruise, or anytime after embarkation, the story as reiterated was someone looking at a room at 1:30.

By that logic though, at what point does it not become ok to walk into someone's stateroom? The poster you replied to had already checked into their room when this happened, and even if they hadn't, I'm genuinely curious at what time can we all assume the staterooms we paid for are actually ours and not open for tour?

No one accused the family in this instance of walking in and stealing or reading notes or looking for people undressing, those were all reasons why people feel it is not ok for strangers to walk into their stateroom without permission, regardless how curious they may be, or what time it is or whether or not a CM has propped the door open. It doesn't really matter if the person walking in or anyone else has deemed those reasons to be valid and it doesn't matter how entitled they feel to look around someone else's room. You don't have to agree with someone's reasons for not wanting strangers in their room but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have to respect their choice. I wonder what DCL would say if we asked them whether or not prepared staterooms were open for tour if the door was propped open by a CM and the family that paid for their room hadn't checked in yet? Chances are DCL would hold me liable if someone walked into my room and stole or accidentally broke a wave phone after my room was prepared but before I checked in so I would hope they would support me in not wanting strangers in my room prior to me getting there.

just fyi. In addition to cleaning they do spray disinfectant on all surfaces. I asked one of our room hosts once.

Honestly this whole discussion is rather silly. I wish my life was so easy I had time to sit around and be upset about someone walking into my empty stateroom years after it happened. This was an isolated event. So geez just get over already.

And entirely off topic from the original question: "Is it true that people steal from fish extenders?"

As far as I know, no one is ever stolen anything from my fish extender. I do not keep a list of cabins who have placed something in my fish extender, and not everybody leaves a note on theirs to say who it's from. I will say however that I have never had a magnet or any other decoration stolen from my door.

As far as I know, no one is ever stolen anything from my fish extender. I do not keep a list of cabins who have placed something in my fish extender, and not everybody leaves a note on theirs to say who it's from. I will say however that I have never had a magnet or any other decoration stolen from my door.
Well. we've had magnets stolen, but, like you, I don't keep track of who's given gifts in our FE groups.

By that logic though, at what point does it not become ok to walk into someone's stateroom? The poster you replied to had already checked into their room when this happened, and even if they hadn't, I'm genuinely curious at what time can we all assume the staterooms we paid for are actually ours and not open for tour?

No one accused the family in this instance of walking in and stealing or reading notes or looking for people undressing, those were all reasons why people feel it is not ok for strangers to walk into their stateroom without permission, regardless how curious they may be, or what time it is or whether or not a CM has propped the door open. It doesn't really matter if the person walking in or anyone else has deemed those reasons to be valid and it doesn't matter how entitled they feel to look around someone else's room. You don't have to agree with someone's reasons for not wanting strangers in their room but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have to respect their choice. I wonder what DCL would say if we asked them whether or not prepared staterooms were open for tour if the door was propped open by a CM and the family that paid for their room hadn't checked in yet? Chances are DCL would hold me liable if someone walked into my room and stole or accidentally broke a wave phone after my room was prepared but before I checked in so I would hope they would support me in not wanting strangers in my room prior to me getting there.

I was just offering an explanation for why someone might have wanted to look at a suite, and saying that I didn't think it was that big a deal. The responses to that were then someone might steal my things, someone might look at my personal items, someone might see me unclothed, and someone might contaminate my pristine room.

At no time did I say you had to allow strangers into your room, or did I disrespect people's choices. But, the incredible hyperbole that occurred after I suggested that what happened was harmless, is really strange to me.

I would assume they did it because they wanted to see what a suite looked like. Would this of bothered you if they had come in before you were in your state room? I would guess not, because you wouldn't have even known. Upon discovering that there were people already in the suite, you state they immediately left.

I personally looked inside of an HA room several years ago when the door was open. I was planning a cruise with an older relative who had some mobility issues, and I wanted to see how spacious the room was for someone in a wheelchair. Sue me....

I don't think they could get into the stateroom if they hadn't left the door open. All the stateroom doors are closed on embarkation (once the cleaning is done). I've never seen doors left open by staff. So pre-arrival, I don't think people can just walk into your stateroom. :confused3 Heck, I don't even like when the room steward leaves several cabin doors open as he is cleaning. I know from past reports that people have had things stolen during this process by people running in and grabbing whatever they see. :sad1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter