is it true that people steal from Fish Extenders??

We've never had anything stolen, but I too personalize the FE itself and the magnets. I am very curious as to how the fish net looks on the door, sounds pretty cool!

Or more likely, the knuckleheads who stole your magnets saw the note and thought it would be hilarious to steal more magnets from others and put them on your door.

Actually we had the same thing happen when all our magnets were stolen and we left a note on our door. Many people placed magnets there and some had notes -- so I think for the most part it was the act of kind people who felt bad and wanted to share.

On our Fantasy cruise last year we saw this very young girl walking towards us in the hallway ahead of her father. She came across a FE ... saw one of the gifts in the lower pocket ... grabbed one with excitement, turned around and ran past her father who turned around and gave chase ... If we lost one of our FE gifts that way, I wouldn't mind it at all :)

As for the video, I wouldn't call them young "adults" ... that would imply a characteristic obviously lacking in their persona. Remember the saying about "karma" ... :sad2:

As for magnets, if they are any that are special to us, we keep them on the inside of our stateroom door. Haven't had any stolen ... yet ... but had nice surprises where additional magnets were placed on our door ...

It is becoming all to common now to come across people who are too self-absorbed, too self-entitled or lacking in respect for their fellow human being. And it's not always the common perception that it's the kids that are picking up the bad habits of their parents. On another one of our Fantasy cruises, two young teens who were walking towards us down the hallway, stopped and stood to the side, to let my DW, who requires the use of a cane, to walk by. She thanked them ... but as I walked by, I heard the mother (and father) who were a few seconds behind, say to her kids "You didn't have to stop for her". I was gladdened by the fact that despite the ignorance of her mother, the young teens showed a lot better character ...

Whether it be on a Disney cruise ... or at a Disney theme park ... or anywhere else, there will always be people who disappoint. It's just not boundaries that are overstepped ... it's the basic right of respect ... be it the chair hogs on the pool deck ... people who butt into line ... those who save "rows of seats" in the theatre ... and so forth ... But OMG, if "they" were shown the same disrespect that they display towards others ...

Despite the current environment where one can get away disparaging/denigrating others in public or in forums/ boards ... name-calling ... lying ... don't forget that most people and families are real and decent ... We love FE's for the fact that for us, it is in the art of giving ... and DCL remains one of our favorites because it is the spirit of Disney that permeates the cruise experience ... pixiedust:

We had magnets and door decorations taken. We tie our fish extender with twine, so someone would have to have scissors to take it, but we have had it used as a trash bin more than once!

We secured our FE hanger with a zip tie. That thing wasn't going anywhere without a decent pair of scissors. LOL I am not sure if we had any items stolen, but I think we got most everything and none of our magnets were removed, so I suppose I consider this a success. LOL.

Just curious. On our cruise, we were on deck 2 aft, and on the next we are on deck 7 aft beyond the aft elevators. I am thinking that area will be less congested and safer from theft. Where were other people's staterooms when they had people steal things. I am mildly concerned this time, because we will be on the Fantasy...a much larger ship than the Magic we were on previously.

Thanks in advance!

So what tips can we share to minimize stealing....
  • deliver gifts in the morning of sea days
  • don't deliver gifts on port days when recepients may be off the ship and unable to empty the FE
  • stop by your cabin often to empty FE
  • when giving large or high value gifts, knock and hand them directly to FE participants, no answer to the knock? repeat until someone is in the cabin to answer the door
what other ideas?????

We secured our FE hanger with a zip tie. That thing wasn't going anywhere without a decent pair of scissors. LOL I am not sure if we had any items stolen, but I think we got most everything and none of our magnets were removed, so I suppose I consider this a success. LOL.

Just curious. On our cruise, we were on deck 2 aft, and on the next we are on deck 7 aft beyond the aft elevators. I am thinking that area will be less congested and safer from theft. Where were other people's staterooms when they had people steal things. I am mildly concerned this time, because we will be on the Fantasy...a much larger ship than the Magic we were on previously.

Thanks in advance!

We always secure our FE, but it doesn't prevent the items inside it from disappearing. We always have aft rooms and while you think they would be less traveled, have still had stuff go missing. Now I only put magnets that I have copies of at home or don't care about losing.

We didn't have any trouble with stealing. All of our magnets were very personalized though. Our FE was also personalized. I didn't secure it with anything. We didn't notice any gifts go missing, but it is not impossible.

On our Christmas cruise in 2016, we had a wreath displayed on our door. The wreath was taken. Our room steward saw it on another door and returned it to us. We put it inside the room for the rest of the cruise. I was surprised that someone was so brazen as to not only take it, but then display it on their door!

Now, we put our nicknames and stateroom number in big, bold permanent marker on anything we display on the doors and we have never had a problem since then with anything missing. No one wants a wreath

I'm planning on doing decorating our door and would appreciate the instructions in what you use and how to hang the net over your door. I just joined the boards so figuring out how to PM you. :)

Yes, I too would like directions for how to use fishing net to protect our door display.

This topic makes me paranoid about door decorations on future cruises. :( I made pennant banners this last time and intend to again; none of them got moved or taken on my cruise but since I plan to reuse the old banners as decorations for my stateroom interiors on future cruises, it'd be really sad if someone stole them off my door. I don't know what can really be done about that, though, other than just hoping it doesn't happen (and accepting that if it does the extra 2 banners I make for the inside of the room will have to be enough).

This makes me see the need to be more vigilant on future cruises. We always do a personalized Fish Extender and have a big magnet set around our room number, and have never had either stolen. Never had gifts stolen as far as I could tell- we seemed to receive a lot of gifts.

I will definitely put our full names on the back of every piece of our door magnet set, though. If anyone were to take it, we'd probably play detective & check the doors of every stateroom on the ship. Good exercise & a way to work off the frustration of being stolen from.

On our Christmas cruise in 2016, we had a wreath displayed on our door. The wreath was taken. Our room steward saw it on another door and returned it to us. We put it inside the room for the rest of the cruise. I was surprised that someone was so brazen as to not only take it, but then display it on their door!
More likely... some kids were goofing around.

This makes me see the need to be more vigilant on future cruises. We always do a personalized Fish Extender and have a big magnet set around our room number, and have never had either stolen. Never had gifts stolen as far as I could tell- we seemed to receive a lot of gifts.

I will definitely put our full names on the back of every piece of our door magnet set, though. If anyone were to take it, we'd probably play detective & check the doors of every stateroom on the ship. Good exercise & a way to work off the frustration of being stolen from.
We had a couple of magnets stolen on one of our cruises. Not a really big loss as I had the images on my computer at home to re-make them, if I wished. Funny thing, though, both those magnets had our names/room number and dates of cruise right on the front of them. We reported it to Guest Services and the next day they had made some homemade magnets for us (the big yellow & pink ones in the middle of the door):
magic 2010 2108 med magnets M1720 100_2155 1500.jpg

We haven't had our FE stolen but have had gifts stolen FROM the FE. All on the same cruise.

Here's a question... what do you do if a strange magnet ends up on your door? Do you set it aside? Report it, in case someone's looking for it? Do you look down the hallway for a similar style?

Here's a question... what do you do if a strange magnet ends up on your door? Do you set it aside? Report it, in case someone's looking for it? Do you look down the hallway for a similar style?
First look at the back and see if they had the foresight to put name/room number on it and return it. Chances are it came from not far away. Possibly ask your room host if he/she recalls seeing it on a nearby door.

First look at the back and see if they had the foresight to put name/room number on it and return it. Chances are it came from not far away. Possibly ask your room host if he/she recalls seeing it on a nearby door.
And when you've done that? Our room host looked at us strangely. I set it on the wall - aside from our door, thinking the owners might claim it at some point, but they never did.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter