• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

is it me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, there will always be someone who tries to "abuse" the system, but...
1. If someone is using a GAC who doesn't need it, they will quickly find out that potential delays and hassle just aren't worth it. and 2. Forgive me if I sound judgemental, but seriously, I never want to get caught up in the "my disability is worse than yours" game. I don't know anyone else's needs or issues, just mine. And there will always be someone seemingly worse or better off, but (and I know I will sound stupid, but) can't we just be a community and support each other? All of live in a world that doesn't fully accomodate our needs, we all endure stares and rude comments at some point, we all deal with painful and embarrassing situations,- could we not have a "safe" place- and try not to worry about something someone may or not be planning or whether they do or do not have a "legitimate" need? Sorry if I've said things in a rude way, but I just feel like this board should be a place we can support each other.
Nicole

Sure, there will always be someone who tries to "abuse" the system, but...
1. If someone is using a GAC who doesn't need it, they will quickly find out that potential delays and hassle just aren't worth it. and 2. Forgive me if I sound judgemental, but seriously, I never want to get caught up in the "my disability is worse than yours" game. I don't know anyone else's needs or issues, just mine. And there will always be someone seemingly worse or better off, but (and I know I will sound stupid, but) can't we just be a community and support each other? All of live in a world that doesn't fully accomodate our needs, we all endure stares and rude comments at some point, we all deal with painful and embarrassing situations,- could we not have a "safe" place- and try not to worry about something someone may or not be planning or whether they do or do not have a "legitimate" need? Sorry if I've said things in a rude way, but I just feel like this board should be a place we can support each other.
Nicole

Awesome Nicole :) I just want to share something. My DS, DH and myself went to get Ds a new bike at TRUS. The person working the bike area helping us was oblivious that DS has issues. She was amazing with us but clueless with him which was shocking yet comforting at the same time. It is nice when your child gets mistaken for 'typical". Anyway he was riding his chosen bike around testing it and was having a blast. We asked him if he wanted it and he did. Well she gave us the ticket to go get a new one boxed and he LOST IT. Sometimes he would understand the concept and other times unfortunately that night he couldn't. Add in that we are currently increasing his seizure meds and that makes him have mood swing sometimes. Well full meltdown happened one of the worst we have seen in about a year. He could not understand why he was getting the slip instead of the bike and he could not even for a second comprehend what we were saying. His mind shut down. So DH carriees him out of the store in fullblown hysterics. I buy the bike and bring it out and Dh puts it togethr at home where it clicks with DS and he starts to say he was sorry to DH. It was so sad.

My point is that if he were in Disney and someone saw us as he was riding the bike they would think he was typical and if they judged our situation they would think we were taking advantage of "the system". Come 15 minutes later in full meltdown mode, different story. There was no hiding the issues.

So you make a valid point. We never know each other's situation and that's why we cannot pass judgement on someone who appears to have no issues.We all have so much on our plates trying to live a "normal" life at home that is is a shame that people in our community would pass judgement while we are trying to get away from it all and have a magical trip.

Since I am a new poster to this board and *was* just asking about the GAC, I have to admit I thought this thread was written just for me. Not sure if that was the the case, but it felt a little disheartening to read it.:confused3

But whether it was about me or not (and yes, I have that song that Carly Simon wrote to Warren Beatty song through my head now), I assume this board is to ask questions and gather info on the GAC and other issues. If anyone asks to get a GAC for an inappropriate reason, then let Disney sort that out. Getting annoyed by people asking for assistance when you don't think it is deserved is understandable, but really out of your control. I think it is best to let that kind of stuff slide, or you will set yourself up for frustration with no way to change the situation.

Since I am a new poster to this board and *was* just asking about the GAC, I have to admit I thought this thread was written just for me. Not sure if that was the the case, but it felt a little disheartening to read it.:confused3

This post was started awhile ago, weeks before your post. :goodvibes

Don't be disheartened. It's an honest question- people come on here with expectations that just because they have a diagnosis of x, they should be entitled to y. And that's not the case as we all understand.

It's one thing to need accommodations, it's another thing to want an accommodation. That is the point.

If you want some factual information about GACs, there is a section of the disABILITIES FAQs thread that is all about it.
This thread has been about some people's feelings and frustrations. Maybe not always what people want to hear, but it is real.

I'm with you though; there are things we can do - which is mostly get out factual information so that people know what a GAC is.
There are things we can't do - which is determine who has gotten a GAC because of need and who has gotten it because of want (as Forevryoung posted). The only person who knows that is the person who has gotten the GAC. If we don't want our needs judged, it's important for us not to judge others' needs.

Sue,
I did read through all the FAQ's---that was in my first posts here. My daughter has mild autism/Aspergers Syndrome and I was asking about what kind of accomodations would be reasonable to ask for. I appreciate having the FAQ's to read through---they were very helpful. I also called guest services and they gave me some good information.

I realize that there is a level of frustration with this situation, but the problem is when you post a thread like this it sort of defeats the purpose of a "support" board. Even if the thread is not about a certain poster, people may read it with it's thinly veiled clues and think it was directed at them, making them feel unwelcome.

Thank you for your help.:)

Lisa

I think that maybe sometimes people don't understand what the purpose of the GAC actually is and so they ask questions to try and figure out if it is something that they need. And they also might not be comfortable posting every detail of their disability on a public board which means we don't really have all of the information (and don't need to) to judge. :)

Very true. Its very difficult to figure out how the GAC works, especially when information is kept ambiguous to reduce the potential for abusers. But in doing so, it keeps folks in actual need kinda in the dark. Since its based on individual needs, and you have to understand what your needs may be for each situation and unless you're a disney expert, you just don't know. While some rides/shows may not be a problem, others may be, and its hard to figure out four parks with all their rides with your specific needs, that's why I think most people ask so many questions.

While I am sure that there are people who want to try and get a front of the line pass (which the GAC is most definitely NOT), I would think that many of those kind of people would just lurk and read without posting hoping to find that there is some "magical" way to bypass lines(sigh). Which is why I am so appreciative of Sue and Cheshire Figment's work at keeping the information such to make it difficult for people like that to "game" the system. :)

While intentionally keeping things "vague" may make it difficult for people that are trying to abuse the system, it also makes it difficult for folks who truly need the system.

Plus the truth is, that all a person has to do is go to Guest Relations, explain their needs and they will be told if there is anything Disney can do to help meet those needs. It really is just that simple. :) No doctor's note, no special words, just an explanation and Disney will do what they can.

To properly explain ones needs one needs to truly understand the obstacles that WDW presents. Its not simple. Like when we first took my son to MK, we parked in the handicapped parking area, and we foolishly thought the handicapped parking provided the closest access to the gate, and it certainly isn't. Since we were not aware it would be such a lengthy walk, my poor son was exhausted by the time he reached the monorail. Folks who aren't well informed aren't aware of when their needs would need special assistance. Thanks to this board, we've learned to park in the main parking lot and ride the tram. But we still can't figure out what to ask for on the GAC.

The purpose of the GAC is to alert Cast Members of the special needs of the person to whom it is issued. There are various stamps put on it based on the needs, and the accommodations granted vary depending on both the stamp(s) on the card and the particular attraction.

It is not intended to allow skipping of lines, and sometimes if an alternate entrance is required it may actually add to the wait time.

But no ne tells you what the stamps are, or how to word your needs or what you can ask for. I am one who doesn't really know what to say to explain my child's needs, cause I'm not well versed in all the parks and their rides and their loading etc. Yes I've read a ton on this site, but nothing prepares you. I wish I could find somethig that says If you have CP, here's a list of possible accomodations you may need or if you have Autism, here's a list of possible accomodations you may need to ask for...etc.

Leaving those who really need assistance, intetionally not well informed, is a disservice. Maybe my child's experience would be better if I knew what to ask for. I'm just sayin'......

While I understand there is some level of abuse, I think there's more an egregious level of folks making judgements on others disabilities and assuming the worst.

Very true. Its very difficult to figure out how the GAC works, especially when information is kept ambiguous to reduce the potential for abusers. But in doing so, it keeps folks in actual need kinda in the dark. Since its based on individual needs, and you have to understand what your needs may be for each situation and unless you're a disney expert, you just don't know. While some rides/shows may not be a problem, others may be, and its hard to figure out four parks with all their rides with your specific needs, that's why I think most people ask so many questions.

While intentionally keeping things "vague" may make it difficult for people that are trying to abuse the system, it also makes it difficult for folks who truly need the system.

To properly explain ones needs one needs to truly understand the obstacles that WDW presents. Its not simple. Like when we first took my son to MK, we parked in the handicapped parking area, and we foolishly thought the handicapped parking provided the closest access to the gate, and it certainly isn't. Since we were not aware it would be such a lengthy walk, my poor son was exhausted by the time he reached the monorail. Folks who aren't well informed aren't aware of when their needs would need special assistance. Thanks to this board, we've learned to park in the main parking lot and ride the tram. But we still can't figure out what to ask for on the GAC.

But no ne tells you what the stamps are, or how to word your needs or what you can ask for. I am one who doesn't really know what to say to explain my child's needs, cause I'm not well versed in all the parks and their rides and their loading etc. Yes I've read a ton on this site, but nothing prepares you. I wish I could find somethig that says If you have CP, here's a list of possible accomodations you may need or if you have Autism, here's a list of possible accomodations you may need to ask for...etc.

Leaving those who really need assistance, intetionally not well informed, is a disservice. Maybe my child's experience would be better if I knew what to ask for. I'm just sayin'......

While I understand there is some level of abuse, I think there's more an egregious level of folks making judgements on others disabilities and assuming the worst.

This is where the CM should understand the GAC accomodations enough to help you in this area. They are not always knowledgable though and there in lies the problem. Leaving the burden on a visitor without having a "guide" tolook at is hard. I had no idea what to ask for either. I just thought of every nightmare we have had out and told them my concerns. I am sure there may be a better way to accomodate us but I think right now I have it down pretty good to meet DS needs.

Maybe my child's experience would be better if I knew what to ask for. I'm just sayin'.......

But then it's NOT a need, it's a want. You want your child's experience to be better of course but unless there is an actual attraction that they can not experienced due to a limitation that Disney itself imposes than it's not a need.

Clear definition between a need and a want.

This is where the CM should understand the GAC accomodations enough to help you in this area. They are not always knowledgable though and there in lies the problem. Leaving the burden on a visitor without having a "guide" tolook at is hard. I had no idea what to ask for either. I just thought of every nightmare we have had out and told them my concerns. I am sure there may be a better way to accomodate us but I think right now I have it down pretty good to meet DS needs.

The system seems to work fine as is. Disney offers the services but the consumer needs to know what they want. Nokia offers goods for sale but the customer has to decide what they want. Same principal applies with Disney and other venues.

Simply state your limitations such as guide dog, tunnel vision, no stairs, sensitive to heat and deaf. When in a park I state that I have difficulty standing in lines and cannot do stairs. An autistic kid's mom might say that the kid has trouble waiting in lines, needs to stay out of the sun, and bypass dark rooms. Just tell the Guest Relations people what things would make it hard for you or someone in your party to have trouble with normal lines. Make sure you mention those things that you need and that without would make it impossible to do that ride or show.

Wants should be included if reasonable. I want to be in the front rows of a show because of my vision problems but being in the back row will still let me experience the show pretty well. I need to be able to not stand for the line but can wait in an ECV or sit on the floor. I am not making sense probably. sigh

The system seems to work fine as is. Disney offers the services but the consumer needs to know what they want. Nokia offers goods for sale but the customer has to decide what they want. Same principal applies with Disney and other venues.

Simply state your limitations such as guide dog, tunnel vision, no stairs, sensitive to heat and deaf. When in a park I state that I have difficulty standing in lines and cannot do stairs. An autistic kid's mom might say that the kid has trouble waiting in lines, needs to stay out of the sun, and bypass dark rooms. Just tell the Guest Relations people what things would make it hard for you or someone in your party to have trouble with normal lines. Make sure you mention those things that you need and that without would make it impossible to do that ride or show.

Wants should be included if reasonable. I want to be in the front rows of a show because of my vision problems but being in the back row will still let me experience the show pretty well. I need to be able to not stand for the line but can wait in an ECV or sit on the floor. I am not making sense probably. sigh

you're making sense to me!

basically decide what is a "want" and what is a "need." make sure disney takes care of your needs (like being near interpreters if you are deaf) and see what they can do about "wants" (like not using a wheelchair, but seeing what other options are available). however, if disney doesnt/cant accomodate your "wants," think about back up options before you get to guest services...

First I would like to say that a very high percentage of the CMs are great and caring people, and with good procedures and guidance (from Disney) and adequate information from the person will a “need” do an excellent job. Of course there is always the occasional “bad” day or inadequate procedure or incomplete “client” information that creates and unfortunate situation but on the whole the system works well.

To ForevrYoung

The need vs. want is never clear-cut. Someone could say that the whole DWD experience is a want. The basis I use is, what is “needed” to accommodate a disability to obtain an equivalent experience to the extent practical, so the term “better experience” to the extent that it refers to moving towards and equivalent experience is a “need”.

bookwormde

I guess I confused things, the first paragraph is mine and was a general comment, the second was in response to forevyoung's post so that is why I indluded his name before it

I have to say, I agree. In truth, the entire Disney experience is a want. I want to be able to make a quick exit in the case of a meltdown. I want my children not to be so overstimulated by strangers constantly bumping up against them that they can actually enjoy a ride; I want to be able to get through a day accompanied by my children while on my ECV; I want my husband to be able to get my hypotonic child through a line in a stroller since lifting 50 lbs through the wait for Soarin would be a superhuman feat. I want my DD to be able to eat a meal without having to worry about a trip to the ER due to food allergies. I want to be able to see my children smile, and laugh...

I want, just for a few minutes, to feel "normal". To be able to forget, just for a second, our limitations, disabilities and challenges.

I guess I want a lot of things... I'm sorry if I'm coming across as negative, but this whole thread really hurts my heart. I guess I just can't waste a lot of thought wondering if someone might possibly risk not being able to live with themselves because they have abused a GAC. I've got my own fish to fry.

But no one tells you... how to word your needs or what you can ask for. I am one who doesn't really know what to say to explain my child's needs, cause I'm not well versed in all the parks and their rides and their loading etc. Yes I've read a ton on this site, but nothing prepares you. I wish I could find somethig that says If you have CP, here's a list of possible accomodations you may need or if you have Autism, here's a list of possible accomodations you may need to ask for...etc.

This is where a good 'special needs' guide book, such as "Passpoter's Open Mouse" comes in handy. "Open Mouse" will fill in all of those blanks for you. They describe in detail what to expect at each attraction throughout WDW, and how the experience specifically relates to a wide variety of "needs". By using that book, you will know what to ask for as an accomidation for the specific needs that you or your family member(s) have. If you don't want to purchase the book outright, then borrow it from your local library and take notes on the info that is applicable to your situation.

Please understand that going into great detail about what accomidations to request, on a public forum like this one, simply makes it too easy for people to abuse the system. By referring you to an available guidebook instead--&/or recommending that you discuss your needs directly with GS at the park, and allow them to suggest which accomidations might be most helpful--we are providing help while also trying to protect & maintain the GAC system. :hug:

:hug:
I have to say, I agree. In truth, the entire Disney experience is a want. I want to be able to make a quick exit in the case of a meltdown. I want my children not to be so overstimulated by strangers constantly bumping up against them that they can actually enjoy a ride; I want to be able to get through a day accompanied by my children while on my ECV; I want my husband to be able to get my hypotonic child through a line in a stroller since lifting 50 lbs through the wait for Soarin would be a superhuman feat. I want my DD to be able to eat a meal without having to worry about a trip to the ER due to food allergies. I want to be able to see my children smile, and laugh...

I want, just for a few minutes, to feel "normal". To be able to forget, just for a second, our limitations, disabilities and challenges.

I guess I want a lot of things... I'm sorry if I'm coming across as negative, but this whole thread really hurts my heart. I guess I just can't waste a lot of thought wondering if someone might possibly risk not being able to live with themselves because they have abused a GAC. I've got my own fish to fry.

:hug: :hug:
Yeah I know exactly how you feel. As DS gets older his issues are way more apparent and WDW, actually vacations in general, are where we try and forget about it all (as much as we can)and enjoy each other. Every vacaction is modified whether Disney or not but at least it gets us away from the serious stuff at home. It is also why I think worrying about others being disabled enough to get a GAC is sad. Why judge? I actually see this at home too. People compare their child's issues to each others like trying to "have it worse". It is shockingly sad actually.

...It is also why I think worrying about others being disabled enough to get a GAC is sad. Why judge?...

Please don't take this personal or thing that I'm trying to judge others. I try my best to worry about my own life and not worry about what others are doing. :)

I think part of why people worry about others is there are limited resources for the disabled. If 15 people show up at a show with wheelchair/ECV seating and there are only 10 spots then 5 people are out of luck. If the ride you want to go on is a walk on but that ride only allows 1 group of disabled riders per cycle due to evacuation problems and there are 5 people waiting in the handicapped access line then that causes a longer wait.

So sometimes people will feel that those who have it worse then others might be more "deserving" of a spot then those who could use a normal seat with less difficulty.

For a real life example. Lets say there is 1 handicapped parking space left and 2 people with handicapped tags looking for a space. As a wheelchair user unless I get the wider spot I physically can't get out of my car. On the other hand a cane user might be able to park a couple of spaces away and still get to go into the store. Who is more deserving of the space?

Please don't take this personal or thing that I'm trying to judge others. I try my best to worry about my own life and not worry about what others are doing. :)

I think part of why people worry about others is there are limited resources for the disabled. If 15 people show up at a show with wheelchair/ECV seating and there are only 10 spots then 5 people are out of luck. If the ride you want to go on is a walk on but that ride only allows 1 group of disabled riders per cycle due to evacuation problems and there are 5 people waiting in the handicapped access line then that causes a longer wait.

So sometimes people will feel that those who have it worse then others might be more "deserving" of a spot then those who could use a normal seat with less difficulty.

For a real life example. Lets say there is 1 handicapped parking space left and 2 people with handicapped tags looking for a space. As a wheelchair user unless I get the wider spot I physically can't get out of my car. On the other hand a cane user might be able to park a couple of spaces away and still get to go into the store. Who is more deserving of the space?

Bill, you have a way of making things so easy to understand. Thanks. Karen

Bill comparing disabilities IMO is wrong. The cane guy could have terminal cancer and be in massive pain whereas the wheelchair user may not have use of their legs without any other health issues. This is where we should not even judge the person whether in the wheelchair or not. In this scenario the wheelchair user could park farther away and still make it into the establishment safely.

We never know the back story of anyone and that is my point. People with disabilities should support each other instead of have "in fighting" of who has it worse or who deserves what more.

Bill; I' not flaming you, really-but while I will always make every effort not to use a van accessible space, if I am in a flare up-which makes my already significant pain truly agonizing, and especially if I have my kids w/ me (who both have mult. disabilities and are "runners" particularly in parking lots), then yes, having to walk past another 20 or so parking spaces is truly tortuous. By the way, some places only have 1 or 2 spaces and they are both "accessible" meaning by your opinion I shouldn't use either. I might also point out that another driver has no way of knowing whether you have a w/c in your car or not. I just think that things are more complicated than they may appear at first glance. (And for the record, if it was you and me, I knew you were a w/c user, etc. Yes, I would give you the space- but you'd better help me herd my kids out of traffic in return- deal?)
Nicole

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter