• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

is it me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazz1

Mouseketeer
or does anyone else read a lot into posts where people ask about the guest assistance card despite having very little need

it seems that their small problems become bigger and they will begin to consider them a disability because they are visting wdw and are going to be faced with long lines, the posts like i'm not trying to avoid the lines or queues are some of the more obvious ones

i read sometimes on various forums of people who first are convinced they need a GAC and then later in the thread when you get to actually what they need in the form of assistance they admit to not having problems for a year or they admit to living a normal daily life without any disability or problems BUT i am visiting disney and i might not be able to ................

i get the impression that some choose for minor things that don't bother them on a daily basis to become a convenient disability when faced with a line and it's strange when it's pointed out that the GAC will possibly lengthen the wait that these posters disappear :confused3

perhaps i'm too harsh?

personally we couldn't contemplate disney without a GAC and our lives are challenged daily because of the childrens disability, my childrens disability requires 24 hour constant care and supervision and doesn't come with a off switch

so when i read that people feel they need a GAC for disney but then come across as the disability not being a issue at any other time in their daily lives it upsets me so :sad2:

or does anyone else read a lot into posts where people ask about the guest assistance card despite having very little need

it seems that their small problems become bigger and they will begin to consider them a disability because they are visting wdw and are going to be faced with long lines, the posts like i'm not trying to avoid the lines or queues are some of the more obvious ones

i read sometimes on various forums of people who first are convinced they need a GAC and then later in the thread when you get to actually what they need in the form of assistance they admit to not having problems for a year or they admit to living a normal daily life without any disability or problems BUT i am visiting disney and i might not be able to ................

i get the impression that some choose for minor things that don't bother them on a daily basis to become a convenient disability when faced with a line and it's strange when it's pointed out that the GAC will possibly lengthen the wait that these posters disappear :confused3

perhaps i'm too harsh?

personally we couldn't contemplate disney without a GAC and our lives are challenged daily because of the childrens disability, my childrens disability requires 24 hour constant care and supervision and doesn't come with a off switch

so when i read that people feel they need a GAC for disney but then come across as the disability not being a issue at any other time in their daily lives it upsets me so :sad2:

I think many with disabilites or with children who have disabilities feel the same way as you. So many of us spend a great deal of time and effort to avoid inconviencing others, that when healthy people take advantage of disability services, it is dishearting. Those who might take advantage are the reason why most of us don't talk about specifics about our GAC or ever post a photo or information on what the various stamps look like. Fortunately, the majority of people are not willing to take advantage of provisions intended for those with disabilities; and I found during our trip that my fellow guests were all very accomodating and understanding.

I think that maybe sometimes people don't understand what the purpose of the GAC actually is and so they ask questions to try and figure out if it is something that they need. And they also might not be comfortable posting every detail of their disability on a public board which means we don't really have all of the information (and don't need to) to judge. :)

While I am sure that there are people who want to try and get a front of the line pass (which the GAC is most definitely NOT), I would think that many of those kind of people would just lurk and read without posting hoping to find that there is some "magical" way to bypass lines(sigh). Which is why I am so appreciative of Sue and Cheshire Figment's work at keeping the information such to make it difficult for people like that to "game" the system. :)

Plus the truth is, that all a person has to do is go to Guest Relations, explain their needs and they will be told if there is anything Disney can do to help meet those needs. It really is just that simple. :) No doctor's note, no special words, just an explanation and Disney will do what they can.

If I'm being honest with myself yes I feel that way about most people who use a GAC. It's nothing personal and I'm not trying to belittle anyone. However as someone who hasn't walked in 31 years and can't feel or move anything from the bottom of my ribcage on down, but I don't need/get a GAC, I have a hard time feeling sympathy for those who sprained thier ankle or have one of the many other problems. I'll admit part of it may be jealousy, why do so many people get that GAC and use it as a fastpass when I'm waiting in line and then usually a second line for wheelchair users?

However I've learned over the years to try not to judge others. I can only do what I think is right and not abuse the system. I'm responsible for my actions and not others. So it's up to them to decide what is best for them and I wish them the best WDW vacation they can have.

:confused3 Well... it depends. :confused3

I have two bad knees, Osteoarthritis (sp.) in both, four surgeries on the left, many Synvisc shots (was told just today that on the right one the shots are no longer an option as I have no cartledge left and must schedule a knee replacement), meds, and more. I am 41 years old, started having knee problems at age 15!

At home, walking through my house I do OK (don't walk much, never stand for any length of time, sit on a stool for dishes/cooking/laundry folding).

At the grocery I hang on to a cart and take DH or DS with me to help load/unload them.

For college I use my cane and thankfully have handicap parking so that helps somewhat. I also use the elevators. I leave for classes early and creatively schedule, so as to allow breaks during walking.

During our first WDW trip, I thought I could use the cane, walk a little, sit for awhile, and continue this cycle. Ha! Silly me! :)

My first four days were spent at the first benches closest to park entrance at Epcot & MGM. I literally seen nothing, did nothing, and was miserable. My DS & DH were miserable as well, they had severe guilt with my sending them off to explore and I had severe guilt for being such a burden!

After four miserable days we rented an EVC while at the parks. WOW! :goodvibes I got to actually see attractions, visit some, look around, experience Disney! :goodvibes

I used a wheelchair around DTD and SSR, as EVC's were not an option.

While I did not really need a GAC once I got the EVC, without some support I could not (and had not) been able to do anything in the parks. (I also have other issues... sun sensitivity due to meds, Asthma, Diabetes, Venus Insufficiency)

I guess my point in writing this is (if you could see me walk) you would have no doubt about my mobility issues, it is apparent, however many people have issues that are not so.

My father looks healthy, he has COPD and high BP. The poor guy cannot breathe. He could never do WDW without a wheelchair or EVC, he can barely make a quick grocery stop. His meds also prohibit him from sun exposure.

There are people with medical issues that are not apparent and while they are not totally debilitating at home, somewhere like WDW they do become debilitating.

The Mods on here have a wonderful set of questions to answer when considering a EVC or wheelchair at WDW, it is kind of eye opening (I hope they post it)!

None of us can look at any other person and know exactly how they feel, how much stamina or pain they have, ect... nor do we know what they are going through (could be chemo, dialysis, some type of treatment, and so on).

I guess my point is we all need to worry about ourselves and that is it! Until we have walked in someone elses shoes, we cannot know how that person feels!

If a person (be it child or adult) has a disability than they are entitled to a GAC, plain and simple. It is the law! I have no doubt there are people who try to scam but really... why? :confused3 A GAC offers supports/assistance to help one enjoy the park... it is not a "front of the line pass" (heck, sometimes you wait longer), you get nothing more than the support neccesary to allow the person it is issued for to enjoy/explore/participate in WDW activities and attractions.

If a person (be it child or adult) has a disability than they are entitled to a GAC, plain and simple. It is the law! I have no doubt there are people who try to scam but really... why? :confused3 A GAC offers supports/assistance to help one enjoy the park... it is not a "front of the line pass" (heck, sometimes you wait longer), you get nothing more than the support neccesary to allow the person it is issued for to enjoy/explore/participate in WDW activities and attractions.
Just a clarification; it's not the disability that entitles someone to a GAC.
The ADA says that it's the need for accomodation of needs connected to the disability that is protected. Not all people with disabilities have needs that are protected by the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act).

Some people (like Bill) have a definite disability, but don't feel they have any needs that are not met by having a wheelchair accessible line and an attraction that is wheelchair accessible.

Some people (like my DD) have needs over and above what a wheelchair accessible line provides. Those are the people who benefit from/need a GAC.
And, has been pointed out here, not all those needs are visible (and some people with those types of needs will not be using a wheelchair or a GAC).
So, what the GAC mostly is, is a way to provide accomodation for needs.

I think there is a lot of misunderstanding about what the GAC is and isn't.
Many people think it's a Pass for anyone with a disability or for anyone with a wheelchair or ECV. Some of them think it's a 'perk' for people to 'make up' for having a disability. Some websites kind of lead thought in that direction.
That's why the disABILITIES FAQs thread has a section about GACs so that people can see what it is/what it can or can't provide.
I think a lot of people who post questions about GACs haven't read much or what they have read has not been complete. Or, they heard from friends that you get to the front of every line just because you are using a wheelchair - which is not true, but still gets posted.

I think that a lot of people think everybody with a disability needs it. Like SueM said "Many people think it's a Pass for anyone with a disability or for anyone with a wheelchair or ECV." Everytime somebody posts on the Down syndrome board that I go on that they are going to WDW or Disneyland somebody says "be sure to get a GAC to avoid long waits." Some people with Down syndrome definitely do need the pass. They may have respiratory issues that require oxygen, physical limitations because of low muscle tone, etc. But every person/child with Down syndrome does not NEED a pass just because they have Down syndrome. I have never gotten my oldest son (with Down syndrome) a GAC because he does not need it. Yes, he gets impatient in the lines, but so does every child out there. So I definitely think this is what most people think.

Sandra

Mazz, it isn't just you. But than again, I allways dismissed it thinking it had to do with me being European. I hope I'm not too offending, but it appears to me there is a lot more of a 'I am intitled to........'-additude in the US than overhere. (allthough unfortunately it's getting worse here also). If that additude is getting more normall amongst people, it'll also get more normall when it comes to the subject of disabilitie etc.

I'm intitled to a GAC because I've got a disability. Never mind if I've got a need that isn't met by the other standard possibilities WDW offers. That kinda additude. It goes beyond advocating rights and equality and turns into something sad and negative.

It really puzzles me at times to read many posts about problem X and why that would need a GAC (not talking about those not knowing what a GAC is yet) when it hardly presents a problem for those with problem X doing the same thing, but living and doing it here in Europe. It makes me wonder where the line is between need and want, between something being doable but perhaps not ideal and something being doable and true torture.

But than again, maybe I'm just stupid, who knows? I've been told I am. Overhere no such things as accessible waitlines, so you more or less get a 'front of the line in 99 out of 100 times'-treatment. When people find out that I want equal treatment and would 'love' (well, let's be honest, not LOVE-love, but you get the point) to wait in line, I'm labelled as being weird. Oh well. ;)

But yeah, I'm not unfamiliar with the feeling. I actually liked it when I found out DCL asks me to hand in a doc signed form to get an accessible stateroom. And I must admit, I like it more by every day I read yet another person talking about/bragging about/advicing to get an accessible stateroom because of the 'perk' of the extra space. Yes a perk to them, a need to us.

By reading you, I get the feeling your not trying to discuss whether somebody is disabled, in pain or whatever. I just wanted to say this, as I know how quickly something is twisted in that direction. You come across as wanting to discuss abusing of a need or handicap to get more than just a need met, to be precise; a perk. And yeah, I'm very intolerant at that department. One of my flaws, I tell you. I try to follow the same thing as Bill talked about. Mind my own business and that's it. Or walk away in worst case scenario.

I don't think any of us have a right to judge who should and should not get a GAC. I don't understand the point in that. If someone posts asking for information about the GAC and you think their need is bogus just don't respond. I have a child with a hidden disability and when I take him to Disney we use the GAC if we need to. Some days he does well all day and we never take it out, other days he really needs the alternate services it provides and we use it. Who is anyone else to judge whether or not that is appropriate unless you've walked a mile in his shoes. I'm sure there are people who abuse the system but the vast majority of the people using the GAC are just attempting to create a special moment for their family despite dealing with a disability.

Just a clarification; it's not the disability that entitles someone to a GAC.
The ADA says that it's the need for accomodation of needs connected to the disability that is protected. Not all people with disabilities have needs that are protected by the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act).

Some people (like Bill) have a definite disability, but don't feel they have any needs that are not met by having a wheelchair accessible line and an attraction that is wheelchair accessible.

Some people (like my DD) have needs over and above what a wheelchair accessible line provides. Those are the people who benefit from/need a GAC.
And, has been pointed out here, not all those needs are visible (and some people with those types of needs will not be using a wheelchair or a GAC).
So, what the GAC mostly is, is a way to provide accomodation for needs.

I think there is a lot of misunderstanding about what the GAC is and isn't.
Many people think it's a Pass for anyone with a disability or for anyone with a wheelchair or ECV. Some of them think it's a 'perk' for people to 'make up' for having a disability. Some websites kind of lead thought in that direction.
That's why the disABILITIES FAQs thread has a section about GACs so that people can see what it is/what it can or can't provide.
I think a lot of people who post questions about GACs haven't read much or what they have read has not been complete. Or, they heard from friends that you get to the front of every line just because you are using a wheelchair - which is not true, but still gets posted.

and this is exactly where i'm coming from, after reading numerous posts it kinda gets you down

i am all for those who have genuine need but those that develop rather convenient needs when faced with lines and they suddenly want a card in the hope that they will cut some lines it saddens me to read the same posts again and again :sad2:

as you know my two children have a no apparant disability and they will require lifelong care, their needs are not something i can switch on and off when a vacation and lines pop up in the same sentence

i hope perhaps a lurker reads this and thinks twice before considering abusing the guest assistance card system

i am not judging anyone here as i do understand that you truly have to walk a mile in anothers shoes to understand what people with disability cope with but for those who have plans or are thiking of abusing a system please remember for some of us we would give anything for our children not to need the card at all or for the disabilty to disappear after a 2 week vacation but that's never going to be

i was also pleased that i had forms to fill in by my doctor for a accessible stateroom on the disney ship, it takes the "open to abuse" option away for those unscrupulous individuals who just "want" more space

I don't think any of us have a right to judge who should and should not get a GAC. I don't understand the point in that. If someone posts asking for information about the GAC and you think their need is bogus just don't respond. I have a child with a hidden disability and when I take him to Disney we use the GAC if we need to. Some days he does well all day and we never take it out, other days he really needs the alternate services it provides and we use it. Who is anyone else to judge whether or not that is appropriate unless you've walked a mile in his shoes. I'm sure there are people who abuse the system but the vast majority of the people using the GAC are just attempting to create a special moment for their family despite dealing with a disability.

i'm not judging at all i think i may have upset you and you have taken my post the wrong way, if i have upset you then i am genuinely sorry

i totally agree about posts perhaps being bogus and this is what i am saying after a while it begins to get me down :sad1: they are not always easy to ignore

like your child my children have non apparant disabilities and without a GAC we could never begin to consider disney

i would never judge another person by thinking well they look healthy as i know only too well that some very serious disabilities that will require life long care are those where it's always not so obvious

my original post refers to those who develop a minor ailment into a disability to suit the vacation and after reading many of these posts i have begun to feel jaded and saddened by such unscrupulous indivuals who come across as wanting to abuse a system for convenience and then go back to normal healthy lives after the vacation

once again i apologise most sincerely if my post has upset you :grouphug:

Here's something that's always confused me. I have a very visible disability that keeps me using a powerchair and makes it pretty impossible for me to use certain rides as a slide transfer (POTC, all boat rides and Pooh for instance).

I never even heard of a GAC (or "red card") until one day I was off getting FastPasses at Pooh for my group while they road Peter Pan (I ride I simply cannot board ever). The nice CM asked me if I had a GAC and then told me to go get one. Following her instructions, I went over to GR and got a GAC .

I only ever used it for Pooh or if a CM asked me if I had one mostly because I don't know what it's good for. Half the time I'm asked for FP and the other half not. The same thing is true at pretty much all the other rides. Basically CMs make that decision based on my chair or whether I can produce a GAC or which way the wind blows. (It doesn't appear universally enforced.)

I haven't felt unduly guilty about using the GAC mostly because where I did I still ended up waiting in a separate line for the wheelchair-vehicle. In fact I found the old system of CMs directing wheelchair users to the wheelchair boarding areas far better and leveling. If I am directed to the main queue I usually end up waiting twice as long as non-wheelchair guests. I realize the new system is meant to deal with the lame-for-a-day abusers but the replacement is just too arbitrary.

It seems a much better thing to just ask guests if they are able to transfer or need a wheelchair vehicle then direct them to the appropriate line. I doubt many abusers would desire riding in a wheelchair to abuse that.

So maybe the problem here is people just not understanding what a GAC is meant to accomplish. I find the same sort of thing with van accessible parking spots. Not enough people understand what it's used for so far too many abuse them.

I am probably being overly sensitive here, but I wanted to say that it REALLY disheartened and disappointed me to see this thread, especially on this board of all places. I think it just "hurt my feelings" for lack of a better description, much like many on this board are hurt or angered by some of the ECV, parking, and stroller posts in other areas of the DIS.

Because my son is autistic, and it is not always apparent at first glance, I know what it is like to get those judgemental looks and stares. As he gets older they are becoming more and more frequent. We only use our GAC on certain attractions, as we know what he can handle and what he can't. Please don't assume when you are in line, and see someone who looks "okay" use a GAC that they are abusing the card. For all you know, that may be the only place they need to use it.

All the negative posts do not stop the abusers. They only help to invoke feelings of mistrust towards those with hidden disabilities that do use GACs, and may even deter those who really need them from getting them, lest they be judged as well. WDW is a wonderful place for my son, it has opened so many doors for us. I don't want others to deny themselves and their children that opportunity because of the naysayers.

JMHO

can i just make it very clear that i am in no way referring to those with a invisible disability such as autism with my original post

i have two children who are autistic and i have suffered the looks, snide remarks and abuse whilst visiting wdw as my children look so normal, i have also seen first hand how the GAC is abused

i think my original post it being taken out of context and not clear to some that i am referring to those who are bogus and abuse the system and that reading some posts of late have been getting me down:sad2: i'm not trying to be negative just honest about what i have been reading and how saddened i am by the lengths people go to abuse a system designed for the most vulnerable and needy

i have read quite a few recently that have really upset me, am i not allowed to say that i have been upset or comment on it at all without it being seen as negative? and surely the disability board would be the right area to discuss such feelings and upset

i apologise jamesmommy if i have upset you and hurt your feelings, we are in the same boat and i would never wish to knowingly cause you distress :hug:

your reply has upset me in that i am saddened that i cannot express my unhapppiness without it being seen as negative :sad2:

i have read quite a few recently that have really upset me, am i not allowed to say that i have been upset or comment on it at all without it being seen as negative? and surely the disability board would be the right area to discuss such feelings and upset

i apologise jamesmommy if i have upset you and hurt your feelings, we are in the same boat and i would never wish to knowingly cause you distress :hug:

Please don't think I am upset with you or anyone else, what I was trying to say was just that I felt the more negative info we throw out on the subject, the more it hurts those of us who need the card in the long run. I too have seen the posts you are speaking of, and feel the same, so I know where you are coming from. I guess I tend to feel that the majority of people are honest, and that Karma will eventually catch the abusers and give them that Proverbial bite in the nether regions.

:hug: to you, I know I am overly sensitive, coming off a bad week, so let me apologize as well. We are at the parks often (and are even contemplating a rare resort stay for may) so who knows, maybe our paths will cross sometime. It's always nice to meet other parents who can relate.

can i just make it very clear that i am in no way referring to those with a invisible disability such as autism with my original post

i have two children who are autistic and i have suffered the looks, snide remarks and abuse whilst visiting wdw as my children look so normal, i have also seen first hand how the GAC is abused

i think my original post it being taken out of context and not clear to some that i am referring to those who are bogus and abuse the system and that reading some posts of late have been getting me down:sad2: i'm not trying to be negative just honest about what i have been reading and how saddened i am by the lengths people go to abuse a system designed for the most vulnerable and needy

your reply has upset me in that i am saddened that i cannot express my unhapppiness without it being seen as negative :sad2:

I understand the point of the original post but I've noticed that whenever someone requests info about a GAC for any reason other than a developmental disability they are attacked. Some attackers are nicer than others but the overall tone is the same. I just think everyone needs to relax a little and if you ignore the posters that are trying to abuse the system I believe they will go away. I'm sorry that you feel like you can't express youself because that was not my intent but as a long time lurker I've really noticed the hostility towards people who inquire about the use of this card. Sometimes dealing with a disability really sucks but who am I to judge that my need is greater than someone elses because their disability is only temporary. I'm off my soap box now, thank you for listening.

Does using a GAC make you wait more in lines?
The purpose of the GAC is to alert Cast Members of the special needs of the person to whom it is issued. There are various stamps put on it based on the needs, and the accommodations granted vary depending on both the stamp(s) on the card and the particular attraction.

It is not intended to allow skipping of lines, and sometimes if an alternate entrance is required it may actually add to the wait time.

The purpose of the GAC is to alert Cast Members of the special needs of the person to whom it is issued. There are various stamps put on it based on the needs, and the accommodations granted vary depending on both the stamp(s) on the card and the particular attraction.

It is not intended to allow skipping of lines, and sometimes if an alternate entrance is required it may actually add to the wait time.

Thanks for responding.

Disneylover, you might encounter some longer waits, depending on what your needs are (with or without GAC). For instance, if you need an accessible vehicle, you'll probably wait longer for that. Last september for instance, the sillyjungleboatride (can't remember name right now) was walking on, I waited for about 10 minutes for a boat I could ride my powerchair onto. It's a small world; same thing. Nemo-ride; same thing. BuzzLightyearride; same thing. The worst (and has this reputation on the DIS) was the Kalimanjaro Safari, where I waited an additional 25 minutes for the accessible vehicle after waiting in the regular line. There were a LOT of people lining up for the accessible vehicles and only so much fit into one.

On the other hand, at shows I might have a shorter wait. I just rolled upto the Lion King show and could procede within 3 minutes to enter, before everyone else was allowed to. Same experience with Beauty and the Beast. But then again, I happened to have a timing that I ran into the show, noticed it was about to start soon and decided 'I want to do this anyway, why not now?'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter