Is anyone considering postponing a trip?

We are leaving pretty soon and have no intentions of cancelling. I was never a fan of fast pass(I'm strange)and we will not be using Genie. We are staying a couple weeks so we should be able to see quite a bit. The only thing different this year is we are doing a lot less dining. We have a list of must try snacks for the 50th and love the idea of mobile ordering counter service. WDW restaurants have never excited our family so we've really limited them this trip.

We are leaving pretty soon and have no intentions of cancelling. I was never a fan of fast pass(I'm strange)and we will not be using Genie. We are staying a couple weeks so we should be able to see quite a bit. The only thing different this year is we are doing a lot less dining. We have a list of must try snacks for the 50th and love the idea of mobile ordering counter service. WDW restaurants have never excited our family so we've really limited them this trip.
We are also leaving soon (yay, next week!) and staying 2 weeks. I would love your list of must try snacks if you don't mind sharing :)

The only trip I have coming up is Starcruiser, which is more about the hotel than the parks.

But after that? All of the pricing moves in 2021 have me perhaps the least enthused I’ve ever been in terms of thinking about my next trip to the parks.

Can I afford a trip? Yes. But I just cannot stomach (what I see as) the money grabs and especially the attempts at gaslighting that these aren’t money grabs. Call it “sales spin” if you want, but at some point, you are just insulting your customers’ intelligence.

Some may disagree with my interpretation of the recent price moves, and that’s cool. I’m not here to debate. Really, really not. Just speaking for myself - Genie+, Boo Bash and especially ILL, are collectively a bridge too far. Remarkably distasteful.

Will I visit the parks again? Yes. Will I go as soon or as frequently as I’ve gone in the past? With how I’ve been feeling over the past six months or so, the answer is “very likely not.”

Last edited:
I've been on 3 Disney trips since the pandemic started and I'm going on my next Disney vacation this weekend. If you afraid of getting sick, then stay home. If you're not worried about it, then go. Each person has to make that decision for themselves. Genie+ is a non-factor for us because we're not going to use it. I can't wait to be back in 6 days!

We just got back from a trip in November after postponing 3 times (due to COVID) and we felt as safe as we could on our last trip (we both have our boosters due to our work). We wore masks inside always and outside when it was really crowded (aka watching fireworks). There's risk everywhere and I think as long as you are aware - it's easy to be as safe at Disney as at home or anywhere else during this time.

My vaccinated adult niece was at the Magic Kingdom a week ago today. She tested positive on Thursday. Did she get it there? Who knows. I have reservations for Dec. 7th through the 9th. Heading home on the 9th. I figured during the week would be less crowded. I do not plan on staying to watch fireworks anywhere nor will I eat in a sit down inside restaurant. I am vaccinated as well as have my booster. My vaccinated daughter and 17 month old grandson will be with me. I admit, I am a bit nervous about my grandson. He cannot wear a mask.
I hope it’s okay to ask, did your niece that contracted Covid have her booster???? I’m getting nervous……

We are also leaving soon (yay, next week!) and staying 2 weeks. I would love your list of must try snacks if you don't mind sharing :)
We printed a list and have family that just returned with thoughts on everything they tried. Hits with them were:
Cheers to 50 - Plaza restaurant, huge sundae to share with our group.
Aloha Isle - Tropical Serenade(I hate cake pops but kids enjoy them)
Aloha Isle - Fifi, Gigi, Mimi
Jungle Navigation - Adventureland Colada
Sunshine Tree = Sparkling Sunshine
Friars Nook - The Toad Burger, Mr. Toad Dome Cake, The Wild Ride
Gastons - MM Dome Cake
Golden Oak - Pecos Bill Widow Maker
Pecos - 1971 Meal(I think the kids picked it just for the nasty cake pop)
Columbia Harbor House - Happy Haunts Milkshake, The Doom Burger, Spoon for One More
Cosmic Rays - Mission to Mars, Burger to the Moon, 1971 Meal
Creature Comforts - 50th Anniversary Cupcakes
This is just the beginning as our list goes on and on... I promise we are planning on eating something healthy!!! Some of the items may be available anytime(not sure they are all 50th anniversary specials)but this trip is the first time we've decided that we can live without as many sit down meals. Our kids are older and seem just as happy with a burger/pretzel/eggroll. We are going for a couple weeks and the kids have asked to eat offsite at a few of their favorites. I feel like a trader but we will be eating at Universal City Walk a couple times. Have a great time.

Our trip is over xmas and with covid and this new genie+ (which I know nothing about at the moment), I am thinking about waiting until 2022.

I dread any negative changes to covid policy and trying to learn about this new ticketing system. Final payment is coming up even though I think I would only be out $200 if I cancel in December which I can live with.

I am on the fence right now.

My opinion would be based on the frequency in which you go and when you would reschedule for. If you are thinking February 2022 then yeah switch it. If you are thinking of switching to next Christmas then I would ask how often do you go? If it’s once a year, and you are just thinking you’ll skip this year then I know I could live with that. Or if this is 1 of 3 trips in your life then yes I would try to do it when restrictions are loosened. If you go like every few years then I would say go and then go again in a couple years.

The only trip I have coming up is Starcruiser, which is more about the hotel than the parks.

But after that? All of the pricing moves in 2021 have me perhaps the least enthused I’ve ever been in terms of thinking about my next trip to the parks.

Can I afford a trip? Yes. But I just cannot stomach (what I see as) the money grabs and especially the attempts at gaslighting that these aren’t money grabs. Call it “sales spin” if you want, but at some point, you are just insulting your customers’ intelligence.

Some may disagree with my interpretation of the recent price moves, and that’s cool. I’m not here to debate. Really, really not. Just speaking for myself - Genie+, Boo Bash and especially ILL, are collectively a bridge too far. Remarkably distasteful.

Will I visit the parks again? Yes. Will I go as soon or as frequently as I’ve gone in the past? With how I’ve been feeling over the past six months or so, the answer is “very likely not.”

That's how I'm feeling, as well. We usually go at least once a year, but currently have nothing planned for 2022 after going last in May 2021. Usually I'd be itching to get something on the calendar by now, but not anymore. I do want to go at some point during the 50th celebration, but I'd like for GOTG and Tron to be open before my next trip so there's at least something new to look forward to (we've already done Remy in Paris and my sister won't ride it again due to motion sickness, so that's not a draw).

We are going. We cannot cancel our tickets (military tickets) and although I may be somewhat nervous because of Covid, my kids are not getting younger and I am not getting younger. We have done everything we have been asked during the pandemic. We are all vaxxed, I am boosted, and we wear masks religiously. We will be there next week and intend on celebrating and enjoying our time together after these incredibly difficult two years.

We are going. We cannot cancel our tickets (military tickets) and although I may be somewhat nervous because of Covid, my kids are not getting younger and I am not getting younger. We have done everything we have been asked during the pandemic. We are all vaxxed, I am boosted, and we wear masks religiously. We will be there next week and intend on celebrating and enjoying our time together after these incredibly difficult two years.
Have a great trip! With preparation and precautions before and during the trip, you should be able to celebrate and enjoy yourself! It won't be exactly the same as previous trips, but it'll still be special!

We rescheduled but not due to Covid. We've been vacationing to other destinations the last 18 months. I just couldn't go to Disney this year with such limited offerings. Paying full price for a limited experience wasn't for me. We only go every 2-3 years so when we do go we like to make the most of it. We are set to go November 2022. Hopefully by then there are more experiences open.

The good thing about Genie+ is you have up until the day before your trip to learn about it, since nothing can be reserved until 7 am the day of. It essentially works like MaxPass did at Disneyland, reserving one fastpass at a time. I personally think it's easier to use than Fastpass+, Disney just did a poor job of explaining it at launch.

As for Covid, I'm vaccinated and boosted, and don't have any health issues, so that's not a factor for me anymore. Same with the people I live with and interact with at home. Masks indoors don't bother me at all. The only thing you miss out on are the on-ride photos, but I never bought those anyway.

The good thing about Genie+ is you have up until the day before your trip to learn about it, since nothing can be reserved until 7 am the day of. It essentially works like MaxPass did at Disneyland, reserving one fastpass at a time. I personally think it's easier to use than Fastpass+, Disney just did a poor job of explaining it at launch.

Seems like it's worthless on a holiday. I've seen maybe 3 people say 'it worked' and about 30 say they could do 1 ride and that was getting up at 7am to book and dealing with app crashes.

We like to hit the parks early and come back to the hotel midday and then go to a different park in the evening. That will be impossible if the first times available (or second) isn't until 5pm or none at all.

Definitely postponing a WDW trip for at least another year, and seriously considering just not going at all. After 20+ trips in 15 years, I’m no longer enthused. Dislike all the changes: Genie+; discontinuation of MDE; ridiculous amount of planning involved (with convoluted rules); fewer extras but plenty of added fees, lack of creativity (uninspired names for new ride passes, for example); ongoing construction in Epcot (not convinced the new stuff will be worth a trip especially if Harmonius is any kind of indication)…and on and on.
We also just cancelled our 2022 trip. Between the recent changes 🤑 at WDW, and the Pandemic uncertainty and associated travel issues, we’re going to do another relaxing vacation someplace we can reach by car and wait and see what 2022 (and maybe more) looks like.

I‘ve been paying $250 per paycheck toward my trip, so once that hits my bank account- Merry Christmas to me 🎁

I've seen maybe 3 people say 'it worked' and about 30 say they could do 1 ride and that was getting up at 7am to book and dealing with app crashes.

I do think it's important to remember that people tend to report the negative experiences they have much more often than the positive ones. People are far more likely to come here to complain about something than they are to praise it. And my suspicion is that some people are avoiding saying anything good about Genie+ here because a lot of folks round here seem to jump down their throats when they do. And who wants to deal with that?

Just got back and glad we didn't cancel although the parks were very packed. We did a week at Disney and then went to Universal for Thanksgiving week. Universal has ZERO policies on masks and hardly anyone there had one on. It was very crowded. We wore our masks most of the time at Universal since it was so crowded. With that said, we flew there, stayed in three different hotels, resort hopped, visited crowded theme parks, used Uber and other transportation, and ate in various restaurants. Got tested yesterday since I do every Monday - negative on the rona. I few of us got colds but it is that time of year. Just do what you need to do for you and your family. We washed hands and wore masks if needed. Your decision is the right decision no matter what you decide. Take care.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter