Is anyone considering postponing a trip?

denman007

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
Our trip is over xmas and with covid and this new genie+ (which I know nothing about at the moment), I am thinking about waiting until 2022.

I dread any negative changes to covid policy and trying to learn about this new ticketing system. Final payment is coming up even though I think I would only be out $200 if I cancel in December which I can live with.

I am on the fence right now.

I understand feeling overwhelmed with going over Christmas week and trying to navigate Genie+ for the first time. If you think you will feel overwhelmed and won't enjoy the trip, I would consider traveling when it won't be so crowded and you can get a handle on the new system in a more relaxed manner.

If you re-schedule as opposed to outright canceling your trip, you will not lose your $200 if you are within 30 days of your check-in date.

We went twice in October and Genie+ was easy to use the days we used it. If you are going over Xmas I'd get familiar with it as it will probably help your touring if you are will to pay for it (either Genie+ or just the paid ILL).

As far as Covid, we weren't really too worried about it. We are both vaxed and no health conditions. The masks indoors didn't bother us at all as we are used to wearing them indoors here in Chicago. Just make sure you find some comfy masks that you like. If you have kids that aren't used to wearing them consistently start practicing now. But honestly, in our two recent trips 99% of people not following mask rules were adults and not children.

As far as crowds, it's gonna be crowded. I would guess somewhat similar to previous years Xmas crowds. I think Disney will get as many people in there as their staffing levels allow.

We did postpone a trip in early September because of spiking numbers. It does seem to be leveling off some, though I decided to wait to go down until my son is vaccinated. He's eligible in one week, so we have a short trip booked for Feb. Genie+ is somewhat similar to what maxpass was. I went to Disneyland as a very last minute trip a few years ago when a hurricane was planning to interrupt my WDW trip so I learned how to use it as well as plan the whole trip in about a day. It's not hard once you get used to it, I made one mistake the first day as far as stacking them, but got better at it. (That doesn't mean I'm not upset with Genie+, but I think you could pick it up pretty quickly). I think it depends on the composition of your group and your comfort level. It's such a personal decision. I do know of some people that went down and came back with covid, so it does happen, but plenty of people also come back fine.

I am not really concerned about getting covid, just dealing with crowds and masks and genie+. lol

Are they still limiting overall capacity on Disney property? Will xmas 2021 have more or less people then xmas 2019?
I would think that crowds will be down slightly as All Star-Sports (wow, how did I miss that abbreviation before?!) won't be open, right?

I certainly wouldn't cancel because of Genie+ or ticketing. They're not that difficult to understand. However, your health concerns are still very legit, and if you're still uncomfortable about Covid and the inevitable large crowds at WDW over the holiday at this time, perhaps postponing will offer less anxiety. Only you can answer that. My biggest concern now is folks keep saying how much better Florida Covid numbers are getting - but most of the people at Disney aren't going to be from Florida!

That won’t matter - most people in the parks come from offsite. Disney resort guests are fewer than half. So having Sports closed would have minimal effect on park attendance.
Do you not think that having a sizable resort closed isn't indicative of some decreased attendance? Put another way, if they were at absolute maximum, would the resort be closed? No. So even though on-site resorts are only a portion of attendance, it likely points to a relative barometer one way or the other. I find it hard to believe that Orlando resorts are way full and Disney has a particular decrease in on-site guests but the off-site is more than its normal amount, somehow making things busier than usual.

Do you not think that having a sizable resort closed isn't indicative of some decreased attendance? Put another way, if they were at absolute maximum, would the resort be closed? No. So even though on-site resorts are only a portion of attendance, it likely points to a relative barometer one way or the other. I find it hard to believe that Orlando resorts are way full and Disney has a particular decrease in on-site guests but the off-site is more than its normal amount, somehow making things busier than usual.
It’s also possible that Disney doesn’t have the staff needed to open that resort. And I never said things were busier than usual - I just pointed out that a resort being closed wouldn’t necessarily be an indication of decreased park attendance.

I have been vaccinated and had booster in August . I have flown 11 hours on a plane to hawaii , stayed in a home with 18 people for a week with multiple children not vaccinated but tested. I have multiple issues that require vigilance but I have to balance that against not living my life. I plan to go to Disney over thanksgiving with family and friends. Many people I know have gotten covid and gone to the hospital despite being vaccinated and getting a booster so I am under no illusions that I am safe. Covid doesn't appear to be going away anytime soon and life passes us older folks by relatively quickly. If you feel safer staying home and isolated then I wouldn't spend the money to be nervous. Only you can balance the risks. I could get covid from a hug from my grandson any day . Life is a risk . Take the necessary precautions and do what your comfort level allows.

It's true that having Allstar Sports closed will not have any discernable effect on attendance. people who couldn't get in there will stay offsite and still come to the parks.

A news report just today had a travel agent on who said that families are booking travel again now that the kids can get vaccinated, and the majority of them are interested in theme park-related destinations. don't count on lower crowds

We did postpone our August trip (due to COVID), but we are going over Christmas. All of us will be vax’ed before the trip, DH and I have been recently boosted, and we will wear our masks. I think case counts have been high around the country, and kids go to school, we’ve started eating out again and going to events… so, I guess we have learned to accept a level of risk. But, I think it is a personal decision on level of risk, etc. I am hoping people cancel so I can book a few more things :-)

I would postpone my trip if I couldn't handle the risk of being infected. I have accepted the risk of Covid and will be going Christmas week. But I'm double vaccinated and boosted and not high risk so I will not worry as much as other people might. As with many other activities, I would balance the risk against the reward.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter