Is anyone considering postponing a trip?

I do think it's important to remember that people tend to report the negative experiences they have much more often than the positive ones. People are far more likely to come here to complain about something than they are to praise it. And my suspicion is that some people are avoiding saying anything good about Genie+ here because a lot of folks round here seem to jump down their throats when they do. And who wants to deal with that?

100% this ^^^. I've had dozens of clients travel to WDW since Genie+ launched, and most used the service. My clients have largely had tremendous success with Genie+, and I've received mostly positive feedback. I know this is anecdotal, but it was really an overwhelmingly positive response in my experience. Last week was definitely an exception, but I think Disney will probably be able to adjust and fix the issues that came with the first high-crowd period since Genie+ launch. It's human nature to post/talk/write about things you're not happy with more often than things you're satisfied with. I find myself doing this too sometimes! But my advice would be to just take what you read with a grain of salt and know that many people are having positive experiences with Genie+ as well.

The difference I think you are missing is, yes, genie+ probably works well on crowd days under 7 out of 10, but it's a complete failure on crowd days 8 to 10.

When I go crowd days will be 10. I don't trust that Disney will make any adjustments by xmas - if they are even trying.

We want to go and experience xmas in Disney, but I think we might be disappointed with genie+ and LL.

I really wish there was an express ticket like UO.

The difference I think you are missing is, yes, genie+ probably works well on crowd days under 7 out of 10, but it's a complete failure on crowd days 8 to 10.

I really wish there was an express ticket like UO.

There kind of is - at least for MK - the afterhours events. Basically like express for 3-4 hours straight. I used to think they were way overpriced, but given what's going on....if they offered one for each park, I'd probably purchase at least 1-2 each year for MK and HS or EPCOT and do other non WDW stuff by day. I like the parks MUCH better at night anyway. BIGGEST bonus- no getting up early to reserve anything and no deluxe room rate prices for extra evening magic hours.

I have cancelled twice in the last 1 /12 years. Just started making my dates for October. It's an individual thing. I would be too uncomfortable and i'm also very old but it's up to how you will feel. I have had many friends that have been without any problems. Just keep as much social distancing as you can, wash your hands frequently and WEAR your mask.

I have a somewhat related question. How busy do you think it will be mid Dec? Say up until like Dec 20? We have a trip scheduled and I am thinking long and hard about postponing it. We go often (were last there in May of 21) and this whole new covid variant has me wondering. My biggest thing is with the travel to and from FL and with if the crowds are going to be huge. I would prefer to drive but as we live in the northeast part of the US that is a somewhat long trip.

My issue with air travel is twofold. First I don't want to get stuck in FL if they decide to restrict travel after we arrive. Second I am a bit leery of who might be in the 3rd seat next to us on the plane as there are 2 of us going. I just have visions of someone who sits there deciding to snack all flight and thus keep mask removed and then letting out a big ol uncovered sneeze.

Regardless of the result of that sneeze, and while a realize the likelihood of something coming from that is probably low I also know I would spend the whole vacation wondering.

My issues with it being super crowded are about the same basic premise of being crammed in with tons of people. I know we have been before in early/mid Dec but it seems that all I hear this year is how amazingly crowded it is.

At least I still have about 2 weeks to decide on this, although I don't know if that is really a good thing as I just keep going back and forth on it lol.

Someone in a previous post said they miss pre pandemic Disney, I second that thought.

I have a somewhat related question. How busy do you think it will be mid Dec? Say up until like Dec 20? We have a trip scheduled and I am thinking long and hard about postponing it. We go often (were last there in May of 21) and this whole new covid variant has me wondering. My biggest thing is with the travel to and from FL and with if the crowds are going to be huge. I would prefer to drive but as we live in the northeast part of the US that is a somewhat long trip.

My issue with air travel is twofold. First I don't want to get stuck in FL if they decide to restrict travel after we arrive. Second I am a bit leery of who might be in the 3rd seat next to us on the plane as there are 2 of us going. I just have visions of someone who sits there deciding to snack all flight and thus keep mask removed and then letting out a big ol uncovered sneeze.

Regardless of the result of that sneeze, and while a realize the likelihood of something coming from that is probably low I also know I would spend the whole vacation wondering.

My issues with it being super crowded are about the same basic premise of being crammed in with tons of people. I know we have been before in early/mid Dec but it seems that all I hear this year is how amazingly crowded it is.

At least I still have about 2 weeks to decide on this, although I don't know if that is really a good thing as I just keep going back and forth on it lol.

Someone in a previous post said they miss pre pandemic Disney, I second that thought.

From what I could tell, the crowd levels would be moderate and a little heavier on the weekends for mid December.

I am worried less about covid and more about the park experience. Of course, airlines have also been know to cancel flights. Speaking of which, how to you add travel insurance?

I am leaning towards rescheduling for xmas 2022. This trip is/was a college grad gift to my DD but I want it to be fun- not stressful. lol

We could take easily take 2+ trips to the Caribbean for the cost of this one. :oops:

We were forced to cancel in June 2020. Rescheduled for Labor Day 2021. And then we ended up cancelling that just a couple weeks in advance due to the rapid spread of the Delta variant. Rescheduled again for the week before Christmas 2021. And now along comes Omicron . . . .

I don't regret my decision to cancel over Labor Day. But I don't think I will cancel this next trip unless the worst case scenario for Omicron ends up coming true (spreads rapidly and seems unusually capable of evading vaccine and natural immunity). At some point, we just have to move on and be willing to accept greater risk in order to enjoy life's pleasures. Everyone will have their own point, based on their risk tolerance and personal circumstances. For my family, I think we've reached it. I need a Dole Whip.

Genie+ is annoying me a lot. Especially given how terribly it performed during the crowded Thanksgiving holiday. But I'm still in at this point.

I need a Dole Whip.

Genie+ is annoying me a lot. Especially given how terribly it performed during the crowded Thanksgiving holiday. But I'm still in at this point.

We were at Disney the week before Thanksgiving and checked out to go to Universal on 11/21 of thanksgiving week. We enjoyed Genie+ and it worked well for us. Best of luck to you and go enjoy that Dole Whip!

Our trip is over xmas and with covid and this new genie+ (which I know nothing about at the moment), I am thinking about waiting until 2022.

I dread any negative changes to covid policy and trying to learn about this new ticketing system. Final payment is coming up even though I think I would only be out $200 if I cancel in December which I can live with.

I am on the fence right now.
That is of course a personal decision. I went over Christmas and New Year’s one time and I would never consider going back with those crowd levels. But everyone is different.

If you mean cancel flights, I guess that's always a possibility, but I wouldn't consider that a multi-day probability.

If you don't already have them I would definitely get N-95 masks (or KN-95 masks) to wear on the plane and/or in crowded areas in connecting airports. They are definitely less comfortable, but I've worn them on various flights w/o issue. You can definitely tell how much better you are protected. I don't think I'll wear them when required inside at WDW, but use my other types, but I will have them if I feel uncomfortable.

I don't know how you "do WDW", but we've been really conservative and plan (later this week) to only dine outside. We've never been big into sit-down restaurants at WDW (we find them too expensive for our non-foodie selves and they take too much time....for us). But if skipping that is a bummer OR will make you feel unsafe, perhaps your fun will be diminished.

I was going to be there from Nov 13th-20th at both Disney and Universal. I got sick the day before I went with allergies and then it turned into an infection in my leg when I got back after canceling in the middle of it all. I never didn't even go into a park. I stayed for 3 days and left. I moved the tickets out to next year when hopefully the Eat to the Beat concerts will be back. At least my tickets for next year are paid for :)

I had a trip planned for next week, but we cancelled and rescheduled for May. I suspect everything will be fine, but next week is still just too much uncertainty for me. Too early to have more information. We're all very disappointed, but it was the right decision for us.

Thanks for the replies. Still torn, but leaning more toward driving down even though it is a 20+ hour drive. we do have enough time that we could stop once each way though, so it might not be all that bad a drive. I am the only driver though as my daughter is not old enough to drive yet. Still have another 8-10 days or so to decide before there would be any monetary consideration from cancelling. Also thinking of moving the trip to March but my daughter really wants to go during the Holiday season.

Thanks for the replies. Still torn, but leaning more toward driving down even though it is a 20+ hour drive. we do have enough time that we could stop once each way though, so it might not be all that bad a drive. I am the only driver though as my daughter is not old enough to drive yet. Still have another 8-10 days or so to decide before there would be any monetary consideration from cancelling. Also thinking of moving the trip to March but my daughter really wants to go during the Holiday season.

This thread, for me, was more about LL/Genie+ during xmas week (23-30) and less about covid. If you are going the week before xmas, coming home prior to the 19th, then you'll probably have a better chance of using those features as other web sites how those crowd levels MUCH lower.

I would be perfectly happy to go mid December, but ironically, I now have a teacher in the family and can't pull that one off. lol

We're used to dealing with low crowds as we have mostly gone in September and October when DD was younger- never been during holidays/decorations. In fact, I've never been any where over xmas. This is why I am worried about the 'expectation' and living up to prior trips.

Extended hours from 9pm to midnight, many years ago, were some of the best memories just riding everything and walking through empty parks - you have to experience that because it's so cool! That ship may have sailed though.

Extended hours from 9pm to midnight, many years ago, were some of the best memories just riding everything and walking through empty parks - you have to experience that because it's so cool! That ship may have sailed though.

I remember those days too and agree that was the best. I remember one time it rained really hard toward evening and like everyone else just left. It was like we had the whole park almost totally to ourselves. Those were some good times.

I too have never been on the Holiday week itself so I cant really speak to the level of busy and this next trip will be our first with the Genie things so not sure how that will work either. I do know that a lot of people say that if you have been many times before and don't have a lot of things you have to get on to make the trip a success then the busy times aren't as bad. I hope it all turns out great for you and that you have a great time.

Seems like it's worthless on a holiday. I've seen maybe 3 people say 'it worked' and about 30 say they could do 1 ride and that was getting up at 7am to book and dealing with app crashes.

We like to hit the parks early and come back to the hotel midday and then go to a different park in the evening. That will be impossible if the first times available (or second) isn't until 5pm or none at all.

Yeah, I guess I can't speak for app crashes, but it seems like it's still worth it at Magic Kingdom. It was never worth it at Epcot or AK unless you're hopping. Studios seems to be hit or miss. Some people can do everything in a day, while others only get 2 or 3 reservations in.

I had a trip planned for next week, but we cancelled and rescheduled for May. I suspect everything will be fine, but next week is still just too much uncertainty for me. Too early to have more information. We're all very disappointed, but it was the right decision for us.

If you don't mind sharing, what are you concerned about?

I think my concern is getting sick while on the trip. I know that is a risk even pre-Covid, but just would stink to get like flu like symptoms, have to quarantine, and then be out all that money. I guess that's the risk though. Assume trip insurance would do nothing for that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter