Is anyone cancelling a WDW trip or moving it up because of the early SWGE opening?

SWGE, to go or not to go during the opening month!?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
how bad will the september crowds be?

I am considering cancelling a trip or moving it up to before opening day since our trip it planned for the first week! yikes!

How bad do you think it/ the other parks will get? Are we talking half an hour bathroom lines?!?
We booked July vs Sept just to be safe & now feel like dodged a bullet! I’m wondering if the partial opening will affect crowds as much??

We will be there Nov 12th. Seems that I'm not the only one who is dreading this whole Star-Wars thing. I was hoping to make one more trip before it opened. Hopefully we can RD ToT and RnRC, then get a FP+ for the new Mickey ride, lunch at Sci-Fi, then beat it out of HS. I'm guessing that the other parks will be crowded too. I don't care what my family says, if we have to wait 50 minutes for small world, they're just going to have to suck it up and wait.

We are planning on waiting until Feb 2020 to enjoy the new SWGE but I will admit that as soon as I saw the announcement the first thing I did was head to the DVC page. I checked availability for Sep/Oct thinking about moving our dates but, I think we'll wait it out until Feb.

I just made an account so I could post about my disappointment in this announcement. I have been planning our 'once in a lifetime' trip for over a year. I managed to get Pop Century with free dining for Sept. 13-23rd. Now I am 95% sure I am going to cancel it. I booked September specifically for the low crowds, which could now be some of the worst crowds the park has ever seen. We are not Star Wars fans, and want nothing to do with the crowds that this will cause across the resort. I am totally devastated and I really don't know when we might even try to re-book.

I just made an account so I could post about my disappointment in this announcement. I have been planning our 'once in a lifetime' trip for over a year. I managed to get Pop Century with free dining for Sept. 13-23rd. Now I am 95% sure I am going to cancel it. I booked September specifically for the low crowds, which could now be some of the worst crowds the park has ever seen. We are not Star Wars fans, and want nothing to do with the crowds that this will cause across the resort. I am totally devastated and I really don't know when we might even try to re-book.

Same boat, just two weeks later. Misery loves company?

We’ll see how it goes. I mean it’s Disney so I always go into it knowing there will be crowds. So it helps to have your expectations in check (not saying others here don’t) but maybe (hopefully) the other parks won’t be super packed.

My only hope is that people will either plan to go that week it first opens, or wait until all of the land is open. Just my thoughts in trying to make myself feel better somehow and stop freaking out lol (And no offense to anyone who will be there that first week - I feel horrible for you!)

Heck no! Our AP Year starts 10/13/19. Trips booked for Oct, Dec, Jan with plans for May, Sept and Oct 2020. 34 days at WDW.

We’ve got a trip on the books already for early Dec. so I’m pretty excited. That’ll be far enough out that the initial push may have subsided.

FWIW, while there will certainly be some who go for the first few days, early September is still a super difficult time to travel with school age children so I would still expect the crowds to be on the lower side.

The real diehards will go out to DL this summer. DHS doesn’t have the local traffic that DL has either. There will be lines, but I don’t think it will throw off the touring plans of the other parks in early September by a significant amount.

Okay, hopefully SW:GE DL will absorb some of the excited SW fans, and hopefully - people still won't book September due to school, only 6 months out etc. I'm really, really trying to hope it won't be as bad as I feel it will be. A lot of people were waiting until November, and breaks so maybe they still are gonna book then. Pandora/Toy Story opened during Summer so I think, it won't be as tragic I am hoping.

My only hope is that people will either plan to go that week it first opens, or wait until all of the land is open. Just my thoughts in trying to make myself feel better somehow and stop freaking out lol (And no offense to anyone who will be there that first week - I feel horrible for you!)
That was my thought too, but the problem is that we don't know when the rest of the land is going to open. It could be in September as well. I think that for people who go every year or multiple times a year, going shortly after the opening less of an issue, as they have and will experience all of the attractions at other times. For me, this is going to seriously impact the amount we can get done, and our enjoyment of the parks (at least for me, I despise crowds and was already not looking forward to long lines).

Okay.........read the first page in this thread and some people are not happy. I'd be curious to know what the cancellation rate is.........also curious because this opening is during Free Dining which if you re-book I don't believe you'll be able to add it back on.

I think Disney thought this would be a good thing.......and for some (maybe many) it is. However, given what they originally indicated........this is impacting a bunch of folks in a negative way too.

Doug :goofy:

Im booked from oct 29th to nov 9th. Im not happy. I was hopeing to aviod star wars. It will not effect the fast passes as they already said no fp+ for star wars. That will change, but who knows when. If anything, the added crowd and no fpt for sw will make it much much worse. Im considering still staying at disney, but will probably have to spend on early morning magic now. So add 1 k to the trip.

I have the Sept. 1 booked and am looking at moving it a week prior to August 25 -- this trip was specifically planned to be before the crowds. I actually considered going to Disneyland Paris instead lol.

Okay.........read the first page in this thread and some people are not happy. I'd be curious to know what the cancellation rate is.........also curious because this opening is during Free Dining which if you re-book I don't believe you'll be able to add it back on.

I think Disney thought this would be a good thing.......and for some (maybe many) it is. However, given what they originally indicated........this is impacting a bunch of folks in a negative way too.

You cannot make everyone happy. It's the minority who want to avoid it.

I feel so bad for you :guilty:

Some things to keep in mind.
  • You aren't arriving on opening week......
  • school will be in session throughout the country then.
  • The weekends will be the busiest time.
  • If you haven't booked flights that's good.
  • Give this a few days to calm down and reach out to Disney........I would imagine the phone wait times are huge right now.
There's no guarantees but it never hurts to try.....believe me based on what I see here and on other social media platforms you are not alone.

Really hope all works out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter