Is anyone cancelling a WDW trip or moving it up because of the early SWGE opening?

SWGE, to go or not to go during the opening month!?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. I was responding to a pp who said “no thanks” to being around the crowd & crowds of ppl angry b/c they didn’t get the experience they “paid for”.

It is something that anyone who has a vacation planned for this time has to consider. I would be lying if I said I'm not concerned about it. I've flip flopped between complete excitement to panic and anxiety. We are planned to be there smack in the middle of opening week 8/31-9/9, I thought about cancelling. But we LOVE SW, it is something we have enjoyed over the years as a family. The fact that we can be a part of this historical opening week is actually pretty cool to think about. It will be crazy, but what a wonderful memory we will have as a family. My DS,24 is so excited, we have to go.

We are WDW veterans and know how to handle crowds. We don't have any little kids. We once waited in line for 3 or 4 hours to meet Jack and Sally at their first ever WDW meet and greet-so a line that long for Smugglers Run will be nothing to us.

For people with first time trips, little ones, and no interest in SW-yeah if they can move their trip they will be all around happier. I'm sure every other part of WDW is going to feel some of the over flow, no doubt in my mind.

Ok but this is my question. We will be going late September and all I’ve heard all along is how Star Wars crowds will be like nothing anyone has ever seen before. So if my other choice is to go this year Easter week, when I know parks are at 8 and 9, will those crowds still be worse than in late September after SW opens? (I realize no one actually knows the answer for this; just asking for opinions.)

I did some digging yesterday with historical crowd calendars and what not, I literally paid $15 bucks to just give myself some peace of mind over the matter. I found out that while opening day for DHS and AK for TSL/Pandora were nutso (the parks themselves weren't even 10s, just the individual lands), the masses quickly died away by the end of the month and we are talking primetime schools out. This September? School will be in, and so I honestly don't think it will be AS bad as people think it will be.

Eh, I don't think it's playing games. They're giving 6 months notice. That's longer than they've given before.

MOST people don't plan trips a year in advance. They are giving something BIG to a lot of people who have been waiting.

Again, it is a low percentage of people who are upset by this. Far more people are excited.

Yup, I'm a TA (only do Disney trips) and 95% of my clients ask me to book their trip about 2-3 mos out. I'm usually scrambling to get everything into place so they can get their FP's at 60 days. People here on the DIS who plan a year out are NOT the normal Disney guest.

Ok so I slept on it, woke up hoping it was a nightmare but no such luck. :crazy2:

Our trip is booked 9/28 - 10/3 at CBR. My husband is a teacher and our only other option to go would be this April (Easter break recess.) Which option is better? Going in April with no ADRs or FPs yet and dealing with crowds that week, or keeping our Sept reservation and dealing with the SWGE crowds? I know no one "knows" what the SW crowds will be like so just wanted to see anyone else's thoughts?
I would keep what you have asked to be honest I would think that spring break crowds be worse than those in August September. I really don’t think there is no way around it. Only good thing is is that the other parks might lose crowds during those first few weeks

Ok but this is my question. We will be going late September and all I’ve heard all along is how Star Wars crowds will be like nothing anyone has ever seen before. So if my other choice is to go this year Easter week, when I know parks are at 8 and 9, will those crowds still be worse than in late September after SW opens? (I realize no one actually knows the answer for this; just asking for opinions.)
My opinion is that I would keep your Sept reservation. Easter is historically known to be one of the busiest weeks at all of WDW. I think by end of Sept, HS will still have higher than average crowds but I do not think all the other parks will be 8's & 9's like Easter week would be.

Ok so I slept on it, woke up hoping it was a nightmare but no such luck. :crazy2:

Our trip is booked 9/28 - 10/3 at CBR. My husband is a teacher and our only other option to go would be this April (Easter break recess.) Which option is better? Going in April with no ADRs or FPs yet and dealing with crowds that week, or keeping our Sept reservation and dealing with the SWGE crowds? I know no one "knows" what the SW crowds will be like so just wanted to see anyone else's thoughts?

I personally would not change a thing. I would much rather be able to book the ADRs and FP I want even with the SWGE craziness. I definitely would not want to do Easter week at a disadvantage if ADRs and FP are important to you (which I would definitely want Easter week.)

I'm not sure if this is even allowed, but I'm just going to show off the historical crowd calendar that I have - lol paid money for so you guys don't have to. This is TSL, the most recent big opening obviously ~ Opening day was June 30, 2018 - Note the prediction and then the outcome for the entire park (not just TSL which was a wait to get into for hours while the rest of the park wasn't closed).
wi8RuvI.png

I also included the entire historical crowd calendar for the approx. 2 weeks following to give people an idea of what the crowds were like in the rest of the parks. Note that July the 4th, one of the biggest holidays at WDW had a blow out in MK while DHS was only at a 3.
SPl5j2f.png

Hopefully this eases some people's minds!

I get why people are stressed. We just don’t really know what kinds of crowds we’ll be dealing with.

Will it be Christmas crowded? Maybe.
Traffic nightmares? Possibly.
Will HS be at park capacity many days near the beginning? I’d guess yes.
Will the crowds then spill into the rest of the parks?
Maybe the crowds won’t really make a blip at the other parks. Nobody knows.

Lots of uncertainties moving forward.

Do think they will offer extra evening EMH like they did for Pandora at the beginning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter