Is anyone cancelling a WDW trip or moving it up because of the early SWGE opening?

SWGE, to go or not to go during the opening month!?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have our trip for 9/14-22 already planned. Booked dvc borrowing points to take the in-laws. Was also looking forward to low crowds. If it was just my family I would rebook but there are 8 of us and we all have flights booked, vacation time reserved etc. My husband and I are staying away from SWGE but my sister in-law is stoked about “grabbing a fast pass” and my mother in-law “can’t wait to see Toy Story Land”. Think I’ll just budget in extra money for pool libations and send them on their way while we hang at the pool with our 3 year old. I’m just hoping other parks aren’t greatly impacted (wishful thinking)

You cannot make everyone happy. It's the minority who want to avoid it.
You really think its a minority that are upset about this.........The issue is Disney promoted one date and people planned based on that.....and as Disney does that flipped the cart.

I really feel for those who aren't SW's fans and who booked Sept and Oct for lower crowds and who will now be in the eye of the storm.

Doug :goofy:

We'll be there Sep 6-15. I'm not too worried about it. The staggered opening combined with that being the first week of school for most of the country will still discourage a ton of people from coming. I'm guessing the 1s and 2s on the crowd calendar will maybe increase to 2s and 3s.

Not a big deal.

We're going the middle of September and we would cancel if that was an option. We rented DVC points and already booked airfare :( We booked September just to avoid SWGE opening. Yikes!
Same. I hate that the DVC rental doesn’t allow early cancellation. We thought travel insurance would be enough for us like if there’s a hurricane or we get sick/injured, but we never considered having to cancel due to “me and my littles need to avoid the SWGE tidal wave”

You really think its a minority that are upset about this.........The issue is Disney promoted one date and people planned based on that.....and as Disney does that flipped the cart.

I really feel for those who aren't SW's fans and who booked Sept and Oct for lower crowds and who will now be in the eye of the storm.

Doug :goofy:
I’d still guess it’s minority generally speaking. I mean it might be closer to split here or even lean towards upset. But this is the hardest of hardcore Disney folks. Overall big picture I’d put those upset way less than majority.

I had two trips booked (just to give myself flexibility IN CASE they announced SWGE) .. little did I know that both trips (Sept and Oct) would be after SWGE opening.

I am going to one of them .. and may not even decide until the last minute. I would probably lean to mid-September since GENERAL crowd levels (not at SWGE) should be less -- but then there is the heat/hurricanes to worry about.

So .. I am going to keep one (maybe extend it) and cancel the other .. but may not do so (this is a room only booking) until August.

Same. I hate that the DVC rental doesn’t allow early cancellation. We thought travel insurance would be enough for us like if there’s a hurricane or we get sick/injured, but we never considered having to cancel due to “me and my littles need to avoid the SWGE tidal wave”
I do truly feel bad if it affects stays negatively. But unfortunately no cancellation is a necessary “evil” it protects those renting out, who if they didn’t exist, there would be no market for cheaper than rack rate stays at those resorts.

I hope the trip ends up going better than expected for you and that it’s magical! :)

Im in the same boat, i can cancel but that would put the trip back a year. It took me over a year to get a campsight rented at fort wilderness, and even then my travel guy had to work for like 6 months to get my dates set

I do truly feel bad if it affects stays negatively. But unfortunately no cancellation is a necessary “evil” it protects those renting out, who if they didn’t exist, there would be no market for cheaper than rack rate stays at those resorts.

I hope the trip ends up going better than expected for you and that it’s magical! :)
Thanks, I hope so. I get it about the owners, but on the flip side, if they did let us cancel they could resell those points at a much higher rate now :upsidedow

I’m really disappointed - we have a once in a life time trip from Australia booked 18-24 September.

We don’t have flights yet but booked accommodation through Priceline and have tickets. My husband has a conference so we can’t move our dates anyway. I’m so confused why they were selling dates after the open through wholesalers!

I hope we at least get to see SWGE rather than just have our very very expensive holiday trashed :(

I’m worried about how hard it will be to book things like EMM at toy story especially, but also MK.

We'll be there Sep 6-15. I'm not too worried about it. The staggered opening combined with that being the first week of school for most of the country will still discourage a ton of people from coming. I'm guessing the 1s and 2s on the crowd calendar will maybe increase to 2s and 3s.

Not a big deal.

That would be good. We're at the end of September and I was thinking it would be more like 1's and 2's to 8's and 9's, so I hope you're the one that's right!

Does anyone have information or recall how other areas of AK were affected in Pandora's first weeks or info on how the other park crowds were affected? I know Star Wars is a whole other universe compared to Pandora but it might give us at least something to go by. Our trip is late Sept. and I have mixed feelings but we'll adjust as needed and just feel fortunate even if all we do is wander around and experience the sites!

Did you rent from a company or an individual? If an individual and you are seriously concerned, reach out to them. We rent points and I would be completely understanding of this situation. An owner might be able to rent your specific reservation at a premium with this news.

Both are from David's. We book there often and never with insurance with wonderful results. But we didn't expect SGE in August >:(!!!

I have a trip planned for Thanksgiving staying at Yacht Club. I really liked when we went two years ago and I didn't have to cook a big dinner. We are going to watch and see what the crowds will be like before we decide to cancel or not. Hopefully with it being open a few months it won't be as insane. But I'll cancel if it's showing a crazy amount of people going there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter