iPhone 4

Ok...folks who have already received and are using the iPhone 4......

I'm reading on line that people are losing connectivity bars when they hold the phone where their hand and fingers are covering the metal strip around the edge.

This metal strip is the antennae and I'm readying that covering it makes a difference.

Anyone seeing this?

I'm curious, because that is exactly how I hold my phone.

I don't have mine yet, didn't pre-order, but have been reading more and more about this on a number of Mac forums I frequent. It's very disturbing to say the least, particularly seeing it all over the news, in the tech sections, today.

I'm right handed, but hold my phone like that often. I'm hoping this is just a bad batch, or an easily correctable problem, as this could be very bad for Apple, for obvious reasons.

Mmm, maybe a good thing in that case to NOT be an early adopter? I had planned on waiting until the white phones are released. Maybe a good idea!

Here's hoping this issue is resolved quickly!

I'm reading on line that people are losing connectivity bars when they hold the phone where their hand and fingers are covering the metal strip around the edge.

This metal strip is the antennae and I'm readying that covering it makes a difference.

Anyone seeing this?

DP reads all the tech blogs. According to him, Apple's response was:
1) If you are experiencing signal depletion by holding your phone a certain way, hold it another way.
2) A cover would prevent any contact of flesh to the area where flesh contact has supposedly caused loss of signal.

Planned on it prior to that bit of info, but we bought the case last night. Along with a $22 clear sticker to cover the face and prevent scratches and stuff. Ching. Ching. Ching.

DP reads all the tech blogs. According to him, Apple's response was:
1) If you are experiencing signal depletion by holding your phone a certain way, hold it another way.
2) A cover would prevent any contact of flesh to the area where flesh contact has supposedly caused loss of signal.

Planned on it prior to that bit of info, but we bought the case last night. Along with a $22 clear sticker to cover the face and prevent scratches and stuff. Ching. Ching. Ching.

This really bothers me though. I've read this as well, regarding the case, Jobs statement on how to hold it etc. Totally unacceptable IMO, especially for a $2-$300 device. As far as the case, I haven't used one, or a screen protector ever. I don't like changing the look of my device, and just never found them necessary. (Also more difficult to slide in and out of your pocket).

I'm really, really hoping they resolve this, as I am admit, I'm a HUGE Apple fan, and would hate to see a big black mark on them for something like this.

Anyone seeing this?

I hold my phone near the bottom and this phenominon happens to me. I guess it should be resolved when my bumper case gets shipped next week. I have not had a dropped call yet. Which is a lot so say considering my drop rate with my 3G. UPDATE: My call to Disney just dropped when I called about the FL Res Annual Pass Payment Plan. Moved on to the headphones.

Gripping any phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance, with certain places being worse than others depending on the placement of the antennas. This is a fact of life for every wireless phone. If you ever experience this on your iPhone 4, avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band, or simply use one of many available cases. - Apple/Steve Jobs Statement

I just got my Shipment notification from apple for my Bumper case. It just left Shenzhen, China and will be here on 7/1.

I'm kind of glad now that I didn't preorder. I'm worried by these reports of dropping reception. I'm even more worried by Apple's response. Easy for Apple to say hold it differently but if you look at their own pictures and videos they hold it the "wrong way" too. I got my 3G on release day. This time I'm glad I held off. I've been on the fence between the iPhone 4 and Droid Incredible. I also want to wait and see how the white looks. I kind of wish I had bought a white 3G. From looking at pictures of the new iPhone I am leaning toward the black, but want to see the white in person. Plus I want to wait for more cases to come out. I don't want to pay for a case now just so its protected only to buy a better case later. I did stop by the Best Buy across from work yesterday and they had a few RocketFish cases. A couple of the silicone ones were only $15, not bad at all. I think $30 for a bumper is ridiculous. I'm off today and am resisting the urge to go to the Apple store.

I've been reading the Apple discussion forums and this apparently pretty widespread.

I think my favorite suggestion is to cover the metal band with scotch tape so that your hands dont touch the phone.:lmao:

Someone else suggested latex gloves.:lmao:

Steve Jobs suggestion was to "hold it differently or buy a case".:lmao:

If I was a pessimist I'd say it's a conspiracy to sell cases.

Having an EE (Electrical Engineering) degree (but not in the biz anymore) I was really surprised when I saw the video of Steve Job touting the cool design of the iPhone4's antenna. My first thought was the capacitive effect of the human body on the antenna. Any first year EE student would think of this.

Apple could have easily buried the antenna behind the case and this problem would not be a problem. However, glitz over function sometimes bites you in the butt.

I have not had any issues with it so far. I have tried it both with and without the case and did not notice a drop in reception either way.

Anyone seeing this?

Got my phone yesterday afternoon. DH and I have been playing trying to make it drop bars. DH got it to go down once over the course of the evening.
I don't have any of the yellow spots that a few people have reported.

I have to say the screen is amazing, but you don't realize how great it is until you read text on it. It is crisp and clean.

Oh I've said it a few times, but it really is a thing of beauty. The screen is simply awesome.
Battery lasted longer than my 3G ever did and it's not even at it's optimum yet after a few recharge cycles :)

:goodvibes

Hey, just putting in my two cents so far.

Got my iPhone 4 Wednesday, it came a day early! Had a chance to play with it yesterday (Thurs), and it was just fantastic. The screen is a thing of beauty, so crisp, gorgeous!

Have had several dropped calls so far and tech support call due to a random out of nowhere "No Sim Card Installed" message. All is well, but the calls are dropping every now & then.

I was able to replicate to some degree the declining signal if you hold the phone in your left hand (oh yeah, duh, I'm holding it "wrong" sorry). It doesn't go down to "No Service," but I do lose all but one bar.

Never been an "early adopter" before, am having a little trepidation right now.
Michele/RutgersAlum

I've been reading the Apple discussion forums and this apparently pretty widespread.

I think my favorite suggestion is to cover the metal band with scotch tape so that your hands dont touch the phone.:lmao:

Someone else suggested latex gloves.:lmao:

Steve Jobs suggestion was to "hold it differently or buy a case".:lmao:

LoL I was thinking "what about just putting some scotch tape on the sides?" Then I thought maybe electrical tape? All day when I've been using my 3G I've been noticing how I hold it and if I would have a problem. I'm not too concerned as I don't actually make too many calls with the phone. But I did notice I hold it "wrong" even when just using apps and stuff. I'll be interested to see just how this plays out.

It does remind me of the joke about the man who goes into the Dr's office and tells the Dr "It hurts when I go like this." The Dr. says "Don't go like that." :rotfl2::lmao:

With regard the 'signal issue' there is also a benefit to the antenna which is working exactly as advertised. I live in a marginal area and have several black spots in my house where I don't get any signal. My work blackberry and iPhone are on the same network and I have gone around the house with all three Iphone 3G / 4 and Blackberry and the Iphone 4 is the only one which can get a signal in all rooms (although I have not made a call from there yet...)

I haven't been able to make the signal drop yet. I have used a ZAGG invisible shield maximum coverage and it may be that the protection on the sides is enough to stop me touching the 'wrong' parts. I read the reviews on here and I know some people don't like the feel but it does help it keep the original design. Also the screen resistance means it doesn't slip out of pockets, down the side of the sofa etc. as easily.

Overall I am very pleased there are enough differences over the 3G, improved GPS and tracking with TomTom road navigation and looking forward to finding a video project to test the camera outdoors and iMovie this weekend.
Steve

I just found out another bonus of the new phone. My wife said that I sound better/clearer/louder than I did when I was using the 3G. That is a bonus as one of my big gripes was poor call quality.

I just found out another bonus of the new phone. My wife said that I sound better/clearer/louder than I did when I was using the 3G. That is a bonus as one of my big gripes was poor call quality.

I am not sure my wife would agree that this is a bonus.;)

But I do agree that the call quality as well as the signal strength is better than my 3Gs.

jobsemail.jpg

--DB

With regard the 'signal issue' there is also a benefit to the antenna which is working exactly as advertised. I live in a marginal area and have several black spots in my house where I don't get any signal. My work blackberry and iPhone are on the same network and I have gone around the house with all three Iphone 3G / 4 and Blackberry and the Iphone 4 is the only one which can get a signal in all rooms (although I have not made a call from there yet...)

I haven't been able to make the signal drop yet. I have used a ZAGG invisible shield maximum coverage and it may be that the protection on the sides is enough to stop me touching the 'wrong' parts. I read the reviews on here and I know some people don't like the feel but it does help it keep the original design. Also the screen resistance means it doesn't slip out of pockets, down the side of the sofa etc. as easily.

Overall I am very pleased there are enough differences over the 3G, improved GPS and tracking with TomTom road navigation and looking forward to finding a video project to test the camera outdoors and iMovie this weekend.
Steve

If you have the Zagg IS Maximum Coverage, that should be enough to prevent the signal drop. All it needs is something covering that area which won't conduct electricity and bridge the antennae. I read about someone using clear nail polish to do it.

Well, lets see how this helps my signal loss. FexEx Clause just made a return visit and delivered the Bumper case that I ordered on 6/15. It was a nice suprise as it was scheduled for 7/1.

Very minimal packaging, but same big shipping box.
57e3b9fb.jpg

I really like the integrated buttons for volume and the sleep (on top, see below)
922032aa.jpg

As with most cases this one does not play well with 3rd party accessories. The dock connection is molded soley for the newer Apple USB cable (the original apple usb cables are too wide to fit) meaning the cable in the car and home stereo will not fit. Looks like it is time to pull out the dremel as I hate to take my case off just to dock. It does work fine in my iHome alarm clock.
637e8d53-1.jpg

The same can be said for the headphone jack. The circular opening is just wide enough for the Apple headphones.
19bb3652.jpg

So far it is better than the old 3G rubber case that I had protecting it for the last week. I am not sure what I am going to do yet about the dock connector issue. This is going to bug me everytime I plug it into my car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter