In your opinion what is the most overrated thing in WDW?

They did miss the point of the thread, in the end.
The fact that something is rated highly by a lot of people and disliked by some is exactly what makes it qualify as overrated (and vice versa for underrated).
This is why something like Stitch doesn't really qualify. Or Tony's. Neither are rated highly anywhere. So they can't be overrated.
They weren't quite gathering the point of why this has been a fun discussion (few posters aside)
It's been interesting to hear how people feel about various things at Disney and why they value them, or don't. And been able to do it without bashing others opinions (with few exceptions)

exactly! Now, as was mentioned by another poster, they did sort of turn the conversation into "what at Disney is the most Disney to you or has that spirit the most" and I think that is an interesting conversation - but different from over/underrated

Yeah you're right on the Podcast part but I did enjoy hearing their thoughts on it. I sorta took it as how many of our threads stray from the intent lol.

Probably one of the things that I found most interesting on this thread is how many have said Dole Whips lol

In some ways I am not because for people that love them they always talk about how much they love them and there are t-shirts for them, etc. - so I can see why for people that don't like them they would appear to be over rated

That said - if you say you don't like a Dole Whip you are wrong ;)

In some ways I am not because for people that love them they always talk about how much they love them and there are t-shirts for them, etc. - so I can see why for people that don't like them they would appear to be over rated

That said - if you say you don't like a Dole Whip you are wrong ;)
:lmao:

Dole Whips are on the list of things that are just "DISNEY"
Like Mickey Bars, The Electric Boat Parade, Small World, Dumbo, Tiki Room, etc
Classics. They are Disney. That's why they are often subjects on T-shirts
A trip wouldn't be a trip without at least one, or two. Frequently you do/have them because you have to. As a way to grab a piece of your childhood again or whatever.
They may not be the best things but they have stood the test of time for a reason. Even if they are a little bit corny.

Anyway, we have grown from plain Dole Whips at MK to getting our Dole Whip fix at AK, with a bit of rum, thank you ;)

Dole Whips are on the list of things that are just "DISNEY"
Like Mickey Bars, The Electric Boat Parade, Small World, Dumbo, Tiki Room, etc
Classics. They are Disney. That's why they are often subjects on T-shirts
A trip wouldn't be a trip without at least one, or two. Frequently you do/have them because you have to. As a way to grab a piece of your childhood again or whatever.
They may not be the best things but they have stood the test of time for a reason. Even if they are a little bit corny.

Anyway, we have grown from plain Dole Whips at MK to getting our Dole Whip fix at AK, with a bit of rum, thank you ;)
Well now I'm torn--regular or rum version :scratchin

My actual answer is pretty easy, though it's been said by others: the Peter Pan ride. I like it well enough, but I won't stand in line for more than twenty minutes to go on it, which meant we just didn't do it at all this last trip. Too many new things to do for it to take priority on FP+ or early morning queuing. Maybe next time. It probably doesn't help that I've never much cared for Peter Pan himself.

Come to think of it, though, Dumbo's in the same boat for me. I think I've been on it maybe once, ever.

My son and I have severe pineapple allergies. No Dole Whips for us, boo.

I can't have HFCS, and guess what they use to sweeten it. :/ On the bright side, the "all-natural" lemonade they sell at the same stand in Adventureland was really tasty and didn't make me sick.

So let me ask this question: Did you spend ANY money at the Grand Canyon, the Rockies, the space shuttle launch, the broadway shows, whale watching, on the medical mission trip, and ALL other things you've taken your family to? Why consider WDW a place to fleece you out of money when I'm willing to bet you spent money on your other vacations too.

Of course I spent money doing all those things. The point is that I'd rather spend money for me and my family to experience all that the real world has to offer. To each his own. You're entitled to your opinion and you don't need to be so defensive about it.

You continue to convince yourself you're going to Disney for reasons that only you know but do not pretend as if you are somehow better than other people and furthermore put down others (which is why people got defensive) because you can come up with some rationale for going that fits in with your ideals-which I really haven't figured out yet considering you're still going to WDW and have gone a lot more than me (I'm guessing you've gone more than 5 times [the 5th being one that is coming up] in 29 years).

Please stop being so defensive. To quote Elsa, "Let it go...." Not that it matters, but I've been to Disney twice as a kid, once with my kids so far, once on a business trip, and probably again with my kids in a few more years. I might go again with grandkids some day. I never said going to Disney was bad. Disney is a wonderful experience for kids.

My last point is-have you talked with your children about your philosophy on Disney? Have you told them it's all fake, a facade, a place to just eat people's money and once they hit adulthood (I guess that would be what 18) that they should stop going and should never go again until they have kids of their own because in your eyes its not a place for adults? This seems to be a core part of your opinions on the subject thus is why I even brought it up.

Now you're just being petulant. Of course I haven't had these discussion with my kids. They're KIDS! As I have said repeatedly, my comments were never about taking kids to Disney occasionally. I simply think there is a lot more to life, and lot more of this world to be experienced, than making WDW the top travel priority every year as so many people do. Other people do the same for Vegas or similar fantasy money traps. Good for them. Not my thing. You don't need to be so defensive about it.

They did miss the point of the thread, in the end.
The fact that something is rated highly by a lot of people and disliked by some is exactly what makes it qualify as overrated (and vice versa for underrated).
This is why something like Stitch doesn't really qualify. Or Tony's. Neither are rated highly anywhere. So they can't be overrated.
They weren't quite gathering the point of why this has been a fun discussion (few posters aside)
It's been interesting to hear how people feel about various things at Disney and why they value them, or don't. And been able to do it without bashing others opinions (with few exceptions)

I agree. They seemed to not want to offend ANYONE by saying something just isn't "all that." That's precisely the point, though...we are talking about stuff that TONS of people love and saying "I don't get it." It's not about bashing people's opinions, but just saying you (personally) don't agree and can't wrap your head around the love it gets.

Theresa was closest with Mickey Waffles, and I do agree with her on that one!

Of course I spent money doing all those things. The point is that I'd rather spend money for me and my family to experience all that the real world has to offer. To each his own. You're entitled to your opinion and you don't need to be so defensive about it.

Please stop being so defensive. To quote Elsa, "Let it go...." Not that it matters, but I've been to Disney twice as a kid, once with my kids so far, once on a business trip, and probably again with my kids in a few more years. I might go again with grandkids some day. I never said going to Disney was bad. Disney is a wonderful experience for kids.

So let's get one thing straight. No I'm not being defensive. I'm pointing out why people are defensive because you specifically asked that. You've been more times than me so why do I need to be defensive?

You're entitled to your own opinion but where you lost people is insulting them. Instead of saying I take my kids to Disney just not every year and leaving it at that you went into talk about it being fake, a facade, a corporate illusion, etc. Your tangent about Vegas is interesting to say the least.

Now you're just being petulant. Of course I haven't had these discussion with my kids. They're KIDS! As I have said repeatedly, my comments were never about taking kids to Disney occasionally. I simply think there is a lot more to life, and lot more of this world to be experienced, than making WDW the top travel priority every year as so many people do. Other people do the same for Vegas or similar fantasy money traps. Good for them. Not my thing. You don't need to be so defensive about it.
No that's not being petulant. It really did seem that a core part of you is that you don't see the point of adults going. So my question was do you teach this to your children that once they reach adulthood you no longer find it appropriate to patronize a place. You feel that you can tell other adults on this board what they should do in their adulthood seemed like a valid question if you were teaching your kids.

Of course there is a lot to life. I could list all the places I've been to and for me personally I don't have the interest to go every year to Disney BUT where you and I differ is I'm not going put down others who do. I'm not going to insult them because they are adults who enjoy Disney. That is the difference between my opinion and how you approach giving your opinion. Your "don't go every year" part was understandable. It's the other stuff that followed that you strayed into the put down territory versus sharing your opinion. And I'll be honest I find that every 3 years is actually quite often in my book. Each time I went back there was never a set time when I would be back again. In fact I had no plans whatsoever to come back to Disney anytime soon back in 2011. It could have been 10 years later-I just happened to get the urge in 2015 to plan a trip for 2017 as a last horray before kids since I didn't know when I would be back once kids came into the picture.

Reminder to keep the thread friendly.

If you don't like what someone says you may ignore or block that poster.

And please remember DIS guidelines to not be sarcastic, argumentative, or make personal attacks.
Boy have I learned to love this little feature.

I have to chime in here and say that I read about so many "must try" snacks on this board before we went to Disneyland last week. We had not been since 2010 and snacks were not in the budget back then so we had not tried any of these popular items. I was really disappointed in the Dole whip. I like pineapple but I thought that it mainly just tasted sweet. Some posters here have said too sour, but I found it to be not sour enough. My DH and DD got the Dole whip float and the juice that it was served in was not cold - big disappointment on a pretty hot day. What definitely did live up to the hype and then some was the raspberry macaroon at Jolly Holiday. OMG sooooo good. I am kind of glad that I did not try one until our last day or I am afraid I would have been making special park hopping trips to get them all week long. Incredible!! The Matterhorn macaroon was also good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter